Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 26th June 2023, 18:07   #3041  |  Link
aquanash

I've been running nvidia driver 536.23 for over a week now and everything appears to be okay except they still haven't fixed the HDR switching issue that's been happening in every version after 525.25. I still have to restart the video card every few days to keep HDR switching working. I made sure to use DDU (safe mode) when upgrading.
aquanash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2023, 00:55   #3042  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
I did a DDU and haven't had any audio issues since. Everything's peachy.
Had one brief audio drop, unsure what caused it. Never had any HDR issues.

Last edited by ryrynz; 21st July 2023 at 23:44.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2023, 01:45   #3043  |  Link
ryrynz

No DPC latency fix with these so potential to experience audio drop ours still exist. "Next" driver should resolve it based on tweets, currently in QC testing.

Last edited by ryrynz; 30th June 2023 at 02:28.
Old 30th June 2023, 15:02   #3044  |  Link
SamuriHL

That would be nice.
Old 18th July 2023, 23:25   #3045  |  Link
ryrynz

Maybe Spotify won't have the occasional hiccup now.. Fingers crossed. Although my latency still appears at the same levels as before being a "potential" issue. Apparently Rebar is a sighted cause for high latency.. as long as my audio doesn't drop through that's all that matters.

Last edited by ryrynz; 20th July 2023 at 04:12.
Old 21st July 2023, 05:54   #3046  |  Link
Mordred

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquanash View Post
I've been running nvidia driver 536.23 for over a week now and everything appears to be okay except they still haven't fixed the HDR switching issue that's been happening in every version after 525.25. I still have to restart the video card every few days to keep HDR switching working. I made sure to use DDU (safe mode) when upgrading.
Have you tried the latest driver yet? The reboots to fix HDR are driving me nuts.
Mordred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2023, 09:06   #3047  |  Link
Goeggel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goeggel View Post
I have an issue with stuttering on 4K HDR MKVs with RTX 3080, Marantz SR-6011 and LG OLED65B8. 1080p SDR MKVs are fine. Latest madVR, LAV filters and Nvidia 531.79. Win 10 22H2. Zoom Player and MPC-BE.

Every half a minute or couple of minutes, the picture stumbles / stutters / jumps a few frames. Sound is fine. madVR display info doesn't show any frame drops. The issue is random and and always occurs at different time stamps.

With the same setup and a GTX 980, SDR and HDR were fine. Then I changed to a RTX 2070 Super. At first everything was fine. Then with around Nvidia 512.x and/or a Windows update, SDR and HDR were constantly stuttering. This was solved by:
- Vertical Sync to 'On' for the media player exe.
- In the madVR settings, uncheck 'enable automatic fullscreen exclusive mode
- In the madVR settings, how many video frames shall be presented in advance' to 1

Now with the RTX 3080, what else can I try to solve this stuttering with HDR MKVs?
I am still fighting this issue...

- Installed the latest Nvidia driver with DDU.
- Latest LAV filters
- Also tried with latest beta MadVR
- Installed latest updates for Windows 10 22H2

What else could I try?
Goeggel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2023, 20:39   #3048  |  Link
Klaus1189

Can you upload a screenshot playing a problematic file with OSD info?
Use external website like Google drive.
Klaus1189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2023, 08:31   #3049  |  Link
Goeggel

Here are the OSD screenshots for 1080p (no stutter) and 2160p (random stutter):
https://imgur.com/a/lIXmdhx
By stutter I mean it looks like a few frames are skipped and as if the movie jumps a tiny bit forward. Sound is always fine.

I let run the 1080p MKV for about 5 minutes and the 2160p MKV for about 15 minutes.

The shown Drop/Rep values for both files were from opening the MKV and then going to fullscreen (MPC-BE player). These two values didn't change during the runtime.

The value for Gltch on the 1080p didn't change during the runtime.
On the 2160p MKV however, Gltch would go higher every now and then. Sometimes I thought the counter went up immediately after a stutter had occured. But sometimes the counter went up and I didn't notice a stutter (they are quite subtle). So I am not sure if it's a coincidence or not.

Last edited by Goeggel; 27th July 2023 at 09:41.
Old 27th July 2023, 13:47   #3050  |  Link
Grimsdyke

Have you tried to increase the difference between CPU and GPU cache in MadVR -> rendering -> general settings ? In my setups I always have at least a difference of 6.
Would also suggest to use profiles for varying resolutions.
Old 27th July 2023, 21:02   #3051  |  Link
ryrynz

Does turning off subtitles help? Higher madVR caches are a potential workaround.
Old 28th July 2023, 07:49   #3052  |  Link
Goeggel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimsdyke View Post
Have you tried to increase the difference between CPU and GPU cache in MadVR -> rendering -> general settings ? In my setups I always have at least a difference of 6.
Would also suggest to use profiles for varying resolutions.
Which cache settings do you use?
Old 28th July 2023, 07:52   #3053  |  Link
Goeggel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Does turning off subtitles help? Higher madVR caches are a potential workaround.
I will check regarding the subtitles.

With cache, do you mean queue size? I have tested with setting the GPU and CPU queue sliders all the way to the right (highest settings). Unfortunately, the stutter was still there.
Old 28th July 2023, 08:34   #3054  |  Link
ryrynz

Yeah the queues. Well that rules out one avenue of resolving things. Next step will be to try ruling out the software step by step.
Old 28th July 2023, 15:36   #3055  |  Link
Grimsdyke

Just in case your RTX runs into a bottleneck because of whatever reason I would suggest also test reducing the GPU cache/queues down to '8' or '10'.
Old 28th July 2023, 15:45   #3056  |  Link
huhn

the usual:
force vsync in the nvidia control center and use a render queue between 1-3.

nvidia pretty much needs these settings to have a chance of working.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2023, 09:05   #3057  |  Link
Goeggel

Thank you all for your inputs! I think I maybe got it to work without stuttering. Not 100% sure as I haven't had time to watch a whole 4k MKV, but it looks promising.

Setting the Nvidia power configuration to "Maximale Leistung bevorzugen" (max power) instead of "Normal" (which was working on the 980 and the 2070S) on the media player EXE seems to get rid of the GLTCH and visible stutter for me.

I already had Vsync on the media player EXE and render queue to 1 since the 2070S.
Turning off the subtitles didn't make any difference. I also tried to disable the GPU acceleration in LAV Video filter and let the CPU do the work, but still had the GLTCH numbers going up.

I noticed that I didn't have visual stutter with every GLTCH, but every visual stutter was accompanied with a GLTCH.
What exactly does the GLTCH mean in madVR?
Old 31st July 2023, 17:05   #3058  |  Link
el Filou

Glitches are when another application is using the GPU to draw at the same time as madVR when in (fullscreen) windowed mode.
It could be anything from a desktop app displaying GUI elements to another app displaying an overlay (i.e. Logitech Options does that with my wireless keyboard, or a Windows notification).

Quitting other apps that can use the GPU one at a time until glitches stop increasing could be a way to find out.
You can see which apps use the GPU with Task Manager.
Old 3rd August 2023, 10:39   #3059  |  Link
Goeggel

"Prefer Maximum Performance" / "Maximale Leistung bevorzugen" definitely gets rid of the Gltch and visual stutters for me. Putting it back to "Normal" and the Gltch and stutters are back.

The downside is that on max performance setting the RTX3080 (and the PC as a whole) get now much hotter than before...

I have tried to find out what hogs the GPU on Normal settings to cause the Gltch, but I don't see anything unusual going on.
Old 20th August 2023, 16:35   #3060  |  Link
*MidnightWatcher*

What's the consensus on the best nvidia driver to use currently for 23.976 playback and bitstreaming? Card is a GTX 2070S.