Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 9th February 2016, 23:36   #36001  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarrettH View Post
Why didn't we settle on simply bicubic50 or 75 (instead of catmull) when downscaling was long ago discussed?
Catmull-Rom is Bicubic50. Many of the cubic interpolations are simply named after the person(s) that made them popular, but are in a very similar category.
Old 10th February 2016, 01:08   #36002  |  Link
Clammerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSunrise View Post
EDIT: When comparing this on a high DPI display like an iPad 3 (sRGB at about 2.2-2.3 gamma) the playtime clock is becoming perfectly readable with clean (great improvement to Lanczos, Catmull and Bicubic), while on the detailed image I am not able to discern the 3 anymore, it looks like "]". With clean, the whole image gets a nice increase of sharpness, and readability and visibility of fine detail is improved, but not to the point of being obtrusive, like the detailed one is.
If you are not viewing the image at a 1:1 pixel ratio, scaling is going on. If you have a high DPI display, the image should look tiny, if it doesn't the OS is scaling up the image for you.
So in these scenarios it's not really much use to take note on it.
(Ignore the above if you are certain you are viewing at 1:1 pixel ratio, and not 1:1 "image size")
Clammerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2016, 02:33   #36003  |  Link
Telion

Hello madshi!

I think there is some sort of memory leak introduced in v0.90.4.
In v0.90.3 and before it was like this: I start blank MPC-BE and it takes ~10M of memory. Then I open the video and pause the playback - the player takes for example ~400M. Then I close the file (Ctrl-C) - the player now takes ~40M. But now with the same procedure, after I close the file the player still takes ~300M. The problem is that if I play several files one after another without closing the player, the memory footprint keeps growing with each file, which wasn't the case in previous versions. Everything was tested with the same file and settings, only madVR builds were changed and the player restarted after each try. Please take a look into this issue.
Telion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2016, 02:57   #36004  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telion View Post
I think there is some sort of memory leak introduced in v0.90.4.
Can't reproduce any leak with 1165 beta and madVR 0.090.8 with my files. Could be certain settings? Could you upload your settings.dat?
What content are you playing?

0.90.8 does use a little more memory than 0.90.3.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2016, 03:36   #36005  |  Link
MrBonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
It was answered, but the thread is moving fast.
So these crashes would specifically be happening in Dx11 only because the card is in 3D mode but MadVR wants to use 2D mode?

Or rather is it the typical crashes and instability of the 3D mode clocks because of GPU Boost's inability to keep stable voltage levels.
MrBonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2016, 03:39   #36006  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
It was answered, but the thread is moving fast.
Ok, thanks. So I take it the recommendation is to disable OS 3D settings in most situations?
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2016, 06:30   #36007  |  Link
macycat

Bug when changing video file???

madshi, I originally wrote this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by macycat View Post
It looks like I found a problem created between madVR v0.89.12 and v0.89.13. It took some time to track this down

since I hadn't upgraded in quite a long time.

The problem occurs with 1080i59 content (recorded with HDPVR), but does not seem to be a problem with 1080p23 content. While playing a

1080i59 video file, if I double click on another 1080i59 video file to play it in the same video player window, I get a blank screen

with sound from the new video. I also previously was able to drag the video player window from one screen to another screen with no

problems (just a minor pause in playback), but that now usually gives a blank screen with audio playing with an occasional DirectX fails

to render crash.

MPC-HC 1.7.10 (64-bit)
LAV Filters 0.67.0
madVR 0.89.12 - ok
madVR 0.89.13 - fail

Windows 7 64-bit
NVIDIA GTX 670 video card

madVR settings:
D3D9 overlay
NV12, 8 bit, 4:2:0
movie 29.970 fps (says source filter)
movie 1920x1080, 16:9
touch window from outside
chroma > Jinc AR
image < Lanczos3 AR
vsync 16.68ms, frame 16.68ms
matrix BT.709 (says upstream)
primaries BT.709 (says upstream)
limited range (says upstream)
deinterlacing on (settings)

I haven't updated for quite a while, but with all the great work being done, I thought I would give the 3D playback a try. That is when

I noticed the problem described above.

Thanks for all the great features and hard work.
Then I sent a debug log per your request. I missed your followup request:

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Hmmm... The log shows Direct3D reporting a weird error code, and I can't reproduce the problem on my PC. Might

have to create some test builds. Are you up for testing them?
I certainly can do whatever testing that you request

I noticed in the changelog for v0.90.7 that "* fixed: some problems when moving madVR to a different monitor", so I tried that version out. I had the exactly the same results as reported above. I noticed the need to press play/pause once or twice as MokrySedeS reported:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MokrySedeS View Post
Hi madshi, I have two very similar issues.
1. When I drag mpc-hc window from one display to another the playback pauses and I have to press Play/Pause button twice to resume. It

was introduced in the latest .7 version. It happens every time in both D3D9 and D3D11.
2. When the player picks up another file from the playlist and madVR switches to different refresh rate - the playback pauses. What's

interesting is that in D3D9 I only need to press Play/Pause once to resume, twice in D3D11. Also, it happens only from time to time,

more often in D3D11 than D3D9. This was introduced earlier but I'm not sure in which version exactly.
Not sure if these issues are related. Just let me know how I can help, and I will do some testing.
macycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2016, 07:04   #36008  |  Link
sarah180

Cycling through profiles sometimes skips profiles

I've been having an issue with profile cycling in madVR v0.90.8, (I think it was present in some other recent versions, but I'm not certain). Specifically, the keyboard shortcut for one of my profile groups only cycles through a subset of the profiles that exist for my group.

In detail:
  • I currently have three different upscaling profiles that I use: "Standard", "Bad" and "Doubled"
  • I have a keyboard shortcut (Ctrl+Shift+U) to cycle among the group.
  • The keyboard shortcut works, but it never cycles to "Doubled".
  • Instead, it cycles "Auto" → "Standard" → "Bad" → "Auto".

This worked for me in older versions of madVR, for some definition of "older," though I somewhat recently reset all my settings. All three of the profiles have different names and settings. I tried adding a fourth and I still only cycle between the first two (plus "auto").

Strangely, I have another profile group for image enhancement with three profiles and it cycles among all three plus "auto" correctly.

This is obviously more an inconvenience than a serious bug, as I can create direct keyboard shortcuts.

Thanks!
sarah180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2016, 07:40   #36009  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah180 View Post
This worked for me in older versions of madVR, for some definition of "older," though I somewhat recently reset all my settings. All three of the profiles have different names and settings. I tried adding a fourth and I still only cycle between the first two (plus "auto").
You can download old versions of madVR here and possibly determine the last version that worked for you.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2016, 09:47   #36010  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBonk View Post
So these crashes would specifically be happening in Dx11 only because the card is in 3D mode but MadVR wants to use 2D mode?

Or rather is it the typical crashes and instability of the 3D mode clocks because of GPU Boost's inability to keep stable voltage levels.
It is a software based crash, not hardware. Maybe on the OS level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
Ok, thanks. So I take it the recommendation is to disable OS 3D settings in most situations?
Yes, usually, especially on Windows 10.
Old 10th February 2016, 12:31   #36011  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
In that case simply use Bicubic AR LL. Catmull-Rom is identical to Bicubic50. So if you just want something a little bit sharper, try Bicubic75 AR LL, or maybe Bicubic100 AR LL.
Yep thanks, that's my plan indeed.

Quote:
downscaling soccer *a lot*, to simulate "pip"
But mVR only allows one instance IIRC, are you implying that someday there might be a TV with mVR taking care of picture processing?

One thing's for sure upscales on HDTV look ludicrous compared to what mVR could do, even arteHD falls short.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2016, 12:48   #36012  |  Link
MrBonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
Yep thanks, that's my plan indeed.

But mVR only allows one instance IIRC, are you implying that someday there might be a TV with mVR taking care of picture processing?

One thing's for sure upscales on HDTV look ludicrous compared to what mVR could do, even arteHD falls short.
Which makes it even worse how much they are pushing those TVs to the masses . Ugh.
MrBonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2016, 12:57   #36013  |  Link
FreeFall

Quote:
Ok. In that case can you please check which exact madVR build introduced the problem for you? Also: Are you using a multi-monitor setup? Finally: In the problem situation: Does the media player still react to anything (e.g. mouse clicks) at all? Or is it totally frozen? In that case please create a freeze report by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Pause/Break, in case that still works.
I've done some more testing, installed the latest Nvidia hotfix drivers 361.82 just to rule out a possible driver problem. Build 0.89.13 introduced the problem, I tried 0.89.12 and 0.88.8 and had no problems using those two.

I'm using a single monitor Benq XL2411z 1920*1080 120Hz, the player doesn't freeze up it still reacts to keyboard commands. Pressing play the dvd tries to play again, you can hear the audio its just that the image is frozen on the screen and won't clear until you exit the player (alt + x) the player exits without any error messages showing up.

to reproduce the problem reset madVR to defaults and then disable all of the trade quailty for performance options, play a dvd and then stop playback the last buffered frame will be stuck on screen. If you enable use a seperate device for presentation (Vista or newer) with the trade quality for performance settings disabled it seems to work around the problem (no stuck frame after stopping).

This problem only happens with Zoom Player, I can't reproduce it with MPC-HC using the latest madVR build.
FreeFall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2016, 13:20   #36014  |  Link
MSL_DK

Quote:
I've said it before, and now I say it again. madVR should cost a small fortune to use. I am incredibly grateful for madVR in its current form. And say thank you again madshi.
MSL_DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2016, 13:37   #36015  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSL_DK View Post
I've said it before, and now I say it again. madVR should cost a small fortune to use. I am incredibly grateful for madVR in its current form. And say thank you again madshi.
LOL I've been testing mVR since day 1, before it arrived all we had was the hiccupy HR. I woulda switched hobbies if mVR never existed, hiccupy & blurry video playback is beyond my patience and like every OCD'ed person here we're all dying to pour big bucks into madshi's pocket in order to repay him for his patience and expertise
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2016, 13:46   #36016  |  Link
iSunrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clammerz View Post
If you are not viewing the image at a 1:1 pixel ratio, scaling is going on. If you have a high DPI display, the image should look tiny, if it doesn't the OS is scaling up the image for you.
So in these scenarios it's not really much use to take note on it.
(Ignore the above if you are certain you are viewing at 1:1 pixel ratio, and not 1:1 "image size")
Yes, it is tiny, that's why I used this in addition to a normal DPI IPS in the first place. There is no scaling going on, I am watching both with it's native 1.501px × 195px resolution. If I scale on the iPad, the results are practially the same, since they are all scaled with the same factor, which is also why madshi took the additional time to present the comparison shots as one image. The nasty edges of detailed become even more apparent and clean looks even better in comparison when you are scaling.

The results are somewhat comparable to watching upscaled SD that is already too sharp with a sharp upscaler like Lanczos or Bicubic >50. It will look quite ugly, since all the pixel edges of our low resolution become so much more apparent. That's why a lot of people prefer a softer algorithm, because it looks more natural, even though it might not peel out the very last details, which however, were probably never meant to be seen on some material in the first place, since it defeats the purpose of image depth (background detail should not be as sharp as front detail, neither should front detail be uber-sharpened, just because you want back detail to get visible).

Last edited by iSunrise; 10th February 2016 at 14:05.
iSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2016, 14:12   #36017  |  Link
James Freeman

Quote:
+1
My chips are all in.
Old 10th February 2016, 18:45   #36018  |  Link
MSL_DK

Quote:
LOL I've been testing mVR since day 1, before it arrived all we had was the hiccupy HR. I woulda switched hobbies if mVR never existed, hiccupy & blurry video playback is beyond my patience and like every OCD'ed person here we're all dying to pour big bucks into madshi's pocket in order to repay him for his patience and expertise
OCD ... Um ... uh ... me? My wife often ask why we have a relative expensive TV when I never see a film from start to finish. Sometimes I forget to remove my X-Rite i1Display Pro when / if I need to see a movie, it is part of my TV, like madVRs GUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Freeman View Post
+1
My chips are all in.
MSL_DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2016, 19:05   #36019  |  Link
hu1kamania

Quote:
OCD ... Um ... uh ... me? My wife often ask why we have a relative expensive TV when I never see a film from start to finish. Sometimes I forget to remove my X-Rite i1Display Pro when / if I need to see a movie, it is part of my TV, like madVRs GUI
I can totally relate to this. My wife hates when I pull up the overlay (I can't get through a movie without checking it), and my i1Display stays plugged in. Though I don't leave it hanging over the TV unless I'm using it.
hu1kamania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2016, 21:35   #36020  |  Link
mueslibrown

I'm an avid madVR user but I was slightly bemused with all the effort to support 3D, now that it appears that Samsung and LG are about to pull the plug was it and is it really worth the effort for what appears to be a dead format in its current guise ...
mueslibrown is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling