Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 4th March 2013, 22:18   #17901  |  Link
DragonQ

Yeah me too but it might depend on different brands and architectures of GPU.
Old 4th March 2013, 22:41   #17902  |  Link
AndreaMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
To be frank, I think FRC is awesome. Hopefully with some more improvements it will become a standard, nice alternative to using SVP and avisynth for realtime playback. FRC definitely looks closer to SVP than just refresh rate multiple and reclock, at least if running at < 60Hz (48Hz for 24fps).
How would it be an alternative? SVP does frame interpolation, Madshi FRC does not, it "only" blends frames without any vector motion compensation... They are two very different things and also the results produced are VERY DIFFERENT That said it is sure a nice thing.

Last edited by AndreaMG; 4th March 2013 at 22:45.
AndreaMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2013, 22:47   #17903  |  Link
Niyawa

No one knows anything about my ReClock issue? Strange. Oh yeah, is there any reason that could make exclusive mode not work in madVR?

Edit: I've also updated the table of madVR algorithms chart - it includes smooth motion as well.

AR = Anti-ringing, LL = Linear Light, Linear Light (main row) refers to the option "don't use linear light for smooth motion frame blending" in "trade quality for performance" under "rendering".

Last edited by Niyawa; 5th March 2013 at 02:29.
Niyawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2013, 03:06   #17904  |  Link
pie1394

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niyawa View Post
No one knows anything about my ReClock issue? Strange. Oh yeah, is there any reason that could make exclusive mode not work in madVR?

Edit: I've also updated the table of madVR algorithms chart - it includes smooth motion as well.

AR = Anti-ringing, LL = Linear Light, Linear Light (main row) refers to the option "don't use linear light for smooth motion frame blending" in "trade quality for performance" under "rendering".
madshi has said... Don't use Smooth Motion if the display device is capable of handling 24 / 50 / 60 Hz contents properly.

It actually has some noticeable impacts on motion content resolution for CRT / PDP devices. The LCD TV owners might not be aware of this since most (cheap) LCD devices are not capable of producing the same motion resolution ability. Only some very expensive LCD TV sets do.
pie1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2013, 08:39   #17905  |  Link
Mangix
Audiophile

Quote:

I think going from Highest to High you should also disable Linear Light or Anti-Ringing. At least in my experience, Downscaling using that setup is quite demanding.
Mangix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2013, 08:54   #17906  |  Link
cosmitz

Hello everyone. This is a hard forum to get on to.

I'm using madVR with BSplayer on a Win7 Pro 32 bit machine with Aero enabled, dual monitor setup, it running on the secondary LCD monitor. Whenever i use madVR for playing any non-mkv videos (mp4/avi/flv) in fullscreen, and i try to set volume, skip forward/backward, bsplayer shows me a crash error, which i can click 'continue' on if i want and the movie continues to respond, but it is annoying as it disables any input until 'ignored' away. This only happens in fullscreen, to mention. Here's the log and sorry about the images, but couldn't find a .txt of it anywhere and copy pasting it was disabled:

PS: If using EVR, i don't see this issue, but i see the inherent laggy-ness. -.-
cosmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2013, 09:37   #17907  |  Link
Niyawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangix View Post
I think going from Highest to High you should also disable Linear Light or Anti-Ringing. At least in my experience, Downscaling using that setup is quite demanding.
High and Highest are supposed to be demading. The very foundation of that chart is to be a reference for quality vs performance. If someone can't use High or Highest, then they can go for Mid, if they can't use that either, go for Low (which is madVR default) or go for Bilinear which is the fastest mode for everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pie1394 View Post
madshi has said... Don't use Smooth Motion if the display device is capable of handling 24 / 50 / 60 Hz contents properly.

It actually has some noticeable impacts on motion content resolution for CRT / PDP devices. The LCD TV owners might not be aware of this since most (cheap) LCD devices are not capable of producing the same motion resolution ability. Only some very expensive LCD TV sets do.
Well, the graph is supposed to be a reference for those who have almost no idea what settings to use. I was going to include that information in my guide as a complement too - so I believe there's no worries in that aspect.
Old 5th March 2013, 09:39   #17908  |  Link
bugmen0t
Banned

I just want to report my finding:
With version 0.86.1 I reported a heavy increase of rendering times (no drops for me, just higher timings) in exclusive mode with FRC on and default flush settings.
Madshi recommended to increase 'present frames in advance' to 8 which did nothing.
Playing around with this setting I increased it even more and rendering times are back to normal!
Anyone able to explain this? Does the renderer need to wait for something presentation related?
bugmen0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2013, 10:06   #17909  |  Link
jmartinr

Quote:

Shouldn't 'lowest' come after 'low'?
Old 5th March 2013, 10:32   #17910  |  Link
Niyawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmartinr View Post
Shouldn't 'lowest' come after 'low'?
Yup, that was a typo. Dunno how I didn't notice. Thanks.

Here's the fixed one!

Last edited by Niyawa; 5th March 2013 at 10:36.
Niyawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2013, 11:12   #17911  |  Link
DragonQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangix View Post
Hmm I have a pretty old GTS 250 and it can handle everything in the "High" band fine on a 1920x1200 screen.
Old 5th March 2013, 12:06   #17912  |  Link
Vyral

Hello everyone,
I need your opinion on something I've found on a tutorial : they set different outputs for lav and ffdshow. I don't understand the point doing that. Why not set the same outputs ?

Link : http://forum.hardware.fr/hfr/VideoSo...t_138425_1.htm

Last edited by Vyral; 5th March 2013 at 12:11. Reason: add details
Vyral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2013, 12:42   #17913  |  Link
Pomegranate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonQ View Post
Hmm I have a pretty old GTS 250 and it can handle everything in the "High" band fine on a 1920x1200 screen.
I have an old GTS 250 too, and without smooth motion and none of the "trade quality for performance" settings checked, it can handle everything, up to 1080p30, in the Highest band on a 1920x1080 display.

Inside the Nvidia Control Panel, I've set up "Adjust Video Image settings" as such:

Is that how it's supposed to be used? I also use CUVID inside LAV video.
Pomegranate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2013, 13:09   #17914  |  Link
DragonQ

I doubt those sliders make a difference but 1080p/30 isn't sufficient for me. Deinterlacing to 1080p/50 or 1080p/60 is necessary and with Jinc3 AR this takes way too long.
Old 5th March 2013, 13:33   #17915  |  Link
Pomegranate

When deinterlacing 1920x1080i50/60 to 1920x1080p50/60, with cuvid, I can use any setting for chroma upscaling, except for Jinc 3/4/8 AR. Bicubic75 AR is alright for interlaced content.
Old 5th March 2013, 15:30   #17916  |  Link
DragonQ

...which is exactly my point. You can't use the "Highest" settings with a GTS 250 unless you're happy with a maximum of 30 fps.
Old 5th March 2013, 17:09   #17917  |  Link
omarank

Hi Madshi

Thanks for the new version. Smooth Motion is working perfectly here for progressive content and interlaced video content. However, for telecined film content, I can see juddering on my system. If I understand correctly, on playing a 29.97 fps telecined content with madVR’s IVTC on, ideally madVR should decimate the video to 23.976 fps and then use Smooth Motion to display it on, say 60 Hz display. I have tried playing multiple telecined files, and the observation is same. Please let me know if any other information you need from my side.
omarank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2013, 18:20   #17918  |  Link
Niyawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonQ View Post
...which is exactly my point. You can't use the "Highest" settings with a GTS 250 unless you're happy with a maximum of 30 fps.
Yup. I don't know who/why what goes beyond 30 fps. Do you?
Oh you do. Most average user don't even know that exists though. Just in case you missed it, the chart was made for a pack - so you get the point.
Old 5th March 2013, 18:36   #17919  |  Link
DragonQ

Quote:
Yup. I don't know who/why what goes beyond 30 fps. Do you?
Probably at least 75% of broadcast TV.

Quote:
Most average user don't even know that exists though. Just in case you missed it, the chart was made for a pack - so you get the point.
I have no idea what you're talking about. I wasn't disputing anything to do with the tables you posted. I was disputing the assertion that the nVidia GTS 250 can handle Jinc3 AR for chroma and luma. It can't (without compromise anyway).

Of course you could say "well no GPUs can handle those settings beyond a certain resolution" but I think a 1080p screen and the highest quality content widely available now (BDs & HDTV) provide a sensible test case.
Old 5th March 2013, 18:40   #17920  |  Link
Pomegranate

@ Niyawa : Your guide makes no mention of deinterlacing. When using Cuvid, you have the option of GPU deinterlacing, and turning it off inside madVR or vice-versa.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling