Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 29th August 2007, 19:37   #1  |  Link
qwerpoi

AvsP v2.0.2 (10/27/07)

(for the old thread, click here)

AvsP is a tabbed script editor for Avisynth. It has many features common to programming editors, such as syntax highlighting, autocompletion, calltips. It also has an integrated video preview, which when coupled with tabs for each script make video comparisons a snap. What really makes AvsP unique is the ability to create graphical sliders and other elements for any filter's arguments, essentially giving Avisynth a gui without losing any of its powerful features. For example, check out this screenshot:

Without adding anything special to the script, AvsP automatically parses the script and creates graphical elements for each specified argument. You can drag any slider around to see the effects of each of Tweak's arguments, hit the button by the filename to choose a new file for AVISource, etc. Through these combinations of features, AvsP provides the means to perfect the output of any script.

AvsP also has a ton of other features going for it, like a crop editor, trim editor, and more recently, tools such as a resize calculator and an encoding gui. There's way too much stuff to go into detail here, you can get more info at the website or the old thread. I would recommend downloading it and playing around with it yourself to get a feel for what it can really offer, no frameworks necessary, no writing to the registry, just download the zip file (~5 mb), unzip to a folder and you're set.

AvsP Download page

bugfix for v2.0.2 (more info here)

mirror for 2.0.2 (savefile.com)
mirror for 2.0.1 (savefile.com)
mirror for 2.0.0 (savefile.com)

Japanese translation (translated by niiyan)
Russian translation (translated by Fizick)
German translation (translated by Henrikx)
French translation (translated by Alain2)
Spanish translation (translated by zemog)
Portuguese translation (translated by Veiga)
Italian translation (translated by khs81)

Last edited by qwerpoi; 31st October 2007 at 00:02.
qwerpoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2007, 19:41   #2  |  Link
qwerpoi

Here's what's new in version 2.0.0 (compared to v1.4.0):
Quote:
* fully automatic user sliders (enabled by default in this release)

* added default presets for each filter (suggested by Zarxrax)

* new "Tools" directory designed for AvsP plugins (suggested by Rahima, Fizick)

* new resize calculator tool (suggested by chipzoller)

* new encoder tool supporting any command line encoders (through presets)

* script tabs now keep track of their own frames

* added new side button to toggle sliders

* added reminder images in the script tabs when video has focus

* added several new configurable text colors

* improved filter documentation filename searching

* added configurable web search for filter docs whenever local docs not found

* changed external player to use original script whenever possible

* changed program to open socket for single instance check only when necessary

* improved rules for displaying calltips

* improved macros menu organization with submenus defined by subdirectories

* improved SetBookmark() macro performance with large lists (suggested by AlanHK)

+ fixed calltip bug with parentheses inside string (thanks niiyan)

+ fixed calltip bug with filters with zero arguments (thanks niiyan)

+ fixed calltip bug with "Frequent calltips" turned off (thanks Alain2)

+ fixed asterisk on title bar in separate video window (thanks krisq)

+ fixed color customization to allow non-white default background (thanks RedDwarf1)

+ fixed open with unicode filename bug (thanks Zarxrax)
The first thing to note is that the website is really out of date, thanks to all these new changes. I'm currently working on updating it, but in the meantime you'll have to pay attention here to understand some of the newer features (although most should be self-explanatory).

The second thing to note is that the options files (*.dat) from older versions of AvsP are not compatible, so don't copy them over to the new version. That means you'll have to reconfigure any program customizations you've made, I apologize for the inconvenience, but it was sort of necessary for me to move forward.

The most noticeable new feature is the automatic user sliders, which were actually introduced in the previous version, but were disabled by default. This feature isn't perfect yet, but it's already functional and pretty close to 100%. As mentioned in the first post, you don't need to do any extra work to get the sliders, they'll get built automatically when you refresh the video. By default all user sliders are folded, simply click on the filter label to unfold the arguments for that filter. You can control a lot of aspects about how user sliders are built and displayed from the "Options -> Program settings..." dialog, under the "User sliders" tab.

The automatic user slider creation depends heavily on AvsP's filter database, which has changed a lot in this version. The filter database is entirely stored in the file filterdb.dat, which is actually just a text file, you can take a look at it if you wish. If you find any errors in the database or want to add new functions, the recommended method is to use the "Options -> AviSynth function definition..." dialog. This dialog has been reworked entirely and hopefully is more straightforward for an average user to edit. Although you could edit the filterdb.dat file directly, I wouldn't recommend it since it will be difficult to accept any updates I make to the database. If you would like to submit edits or additions to the database, you can use the "Export customizations" button in the Avisynth function definition dialog, which will save all your customizations to a text file you can send to me.

Presets work a little differently in v2.0.0. Presets are now activated every time you use Enter to finish an autocompletion (you can change this to Tab or turn it off entirely if you wish). By default, AvsP automatically generates presets for each filter using the information in the database. This preset will automatically enter every one of the filter's arguments, filling in defaults for optional arguments and placing a "?" for every argument without a known default. You can customize individual presets in the "Options -> AviSynth function definition..." dialog.

Documentation paths are no longer customizable per filter. Instead, every time you click on a calltip and the filter's documentation is not found, AvsP will perform a google search using the filter name. You can customize the search to use any url in the "Options -> Program settings..." dialog under the first tab. Note that as always there you can specify which folders on your hard drive to search through for local docs. The search for local documentation files has also been improved. For example, before if you clicked on EEDI2's calltip, AvsP would specifically search for EEDI2.txt, EEDI2.html, or EEDI2.htm. Now the search is less strict and will find files named "EEDI2 - readme.txt", etc.

Another major change is the tools folder. Now AvsP can be extended through tools, which are simply python scripts which are imported by AvsP. In general, tools have a graphical interface, either by using wxPython directly in the script or by using python to communicate with a compiled executable written in a different language. Tools are actually a lot like macros, and can do anything macros can do, but there are some key differences. Tools allow for translation of any messages in the graphical interface. Tools allow for importing of other supporting scripts (for example, the encoding_gui.py tool uses MP3Info.py to determine if an mp3 is cbr or vbr). Tools also have an additional method, avsp.GetWindow(), which returns the running AvsP frame (which is in general necessary to give to a wxPython dialog as a parent). In order to make a new tool, simply make a new python script in the Tools directory, and make sure you have a function named avsp_run() which takes no arguments. The tool will automatically show up in the Tools menu the next time you run AvsP, and the avsp_run() function will be run when you click on the menu item. You can check out the included tools if you need examples. The ToolsMenu.py can optionally be used to define the order of the tools, as well as the menu label and status bar message.

This version comes with three tools, a resize calculator, an encoder gui, and the avs2avi gui, which was converted to a tool. The resize calculator was roughly based on ResCalc.exe, a program suggested to me by chipzoller. The calculator is a bit basic right now, and seeing how I'm not an aspect ratio expert, there may be errors in my calculations, so please let me know if you come across any problems. The encoder gui is a generic interface to any arbitrary command line program or programs. Essentially it's a gui which generates and runs batch script based on the current script and a selected preset. The dialog also has a pretty decent bitrate calculator. Again I can't 100% vouch for my calculations, especially the container overhead computations, which are currently has some estimations (although I should point out I have used the tool successfully several times for my own encodes). What's really nice is that since everything's connected to AvsP, the dialog fills out a lot of info automatically, input/output filenames, framecount, framerate, even audio and subtitle filenames (assumming they have similar names to the input avs script). You'll have to try it out to get a better idea of how it works. Right now the program only comes with a few presets stored in the files x264.presets and xvid.presets, which are just text files with a pretty straightforward format. They're only there for example, in order for the tool to be really useful, I'll need help from anyone who have some command line presets they'd like to see added. You don't need to put them in AvsP's format if you can't figure it out, you can send me the raw command lines if you wish. Anyway, this tool isn't really meant to make AvsP compete with MeGUI or other encoder specific guis, it's really just meant to be a quick way to encode videos that will hopefully be future proof, since it's almost entirely driven by presets.

One new feature for macro lovers is the ability to organize the Macros menu with submenus. Simply make folders in AvsP's macros folder, place any macros in the folders, and they will appear in submenus in the Macros menu. You can even make folders in the folders for recursive submenus (although I haven't tested how deep it can go). You can also now use an empty text file named "---.py" to add a separator to the menu.

For translators, you can update the translation the same way as the last version, just put the older translation.py in the AvsP folder and run AvsP. There are a whopping 129 new messages to translate (!), although only 56 are from the main program. The rest are from the new tools, which you don't really need to translate if you don't plan on using them. All messages for the tools appear at the bottom of the translation.py file.

So. Lot of new stuff, lots of new stuff. In some sense you can consider this a beta release, since there are several areas which may be considered incomplete. As my available time for AvsP development decreases, I would certainly appreciate any contributions, especially since some features like command line encoders and overhead calculations are not my area of expertise. Anyhow, give it a whirl, and let me know if you have any new feature requests or problems.

Last edited by qwerpoi; 29th August 2007 at 19:48.
Old 29th August 2007, 19:53   #3  |  Link
Terranigma
*Space Reserved*

Wow, that's quite the changelog. I'll give this a go right now, Thanks
Terranigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2007, 20:12   #4  |  Link
DarkT

" script tabs now keep track of their own frames"

THANK GOD, the whole "change frame here, it changes everywhere" was getting SOOOOOOO on my nerves... But it was still very comfortable for comparisons of different raws, so I was adding black frames at beginning to make them all the same... GOD...

Now, if only I knew how to disable those damn explanations which pop once you go with mouse over a known filter to the AVSP... GOD - that's as annoying as the frames thingy .

Besides that - I LOVE, love love - absolutely LOVE the AlienVerSusPradator tool .

Last edited by DarkT; 29th August 2007 at 20:24.
DarkT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2007, 23:49   #5  |  Link
lolent

incredible changelog, i'll give it a try as soon as possible.
thanks for your work qwerpoi
lolent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2007, 23:55   #6  |  Link
~bT~
н∂-ƒαиαтι˘

Massssive changelog! Cheers qwerpoi!
~bT~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2007, 00:03   #7  |  Link
smok3
brontosaurusrex

nice, feature request: but it would be even nicer, if the crop info was actually used for proper resizing; example:
http://blog.somestuff.org/resizecalculator.htm
(also crop will need even numbers for yuv.)

Last edited by smok3; 30th August 2007 at 00:05.
smok3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2007, 03:10   #8  |  Link
qwerpoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkT View Post
THANK GOD, the whole "change frame here, it changes everywhere" was getting SOOOOOOO on my nerves... But it was still very comfortable for comparisons of different raws, so I was adding black frames at beginning to make them all the same... GOD...
Whoa, didn't know it was so stressful! I'm glad things are okay in this version.

Quote:
Now, if only I knew how to disable those damn explanations which pop once you go with mouse over a known filter to the AVSP... GOD - that's as annoying as the frames thingy .
If you're referring to the filter calltips, you were always able to disable them from the options menu, but in this version they pop up less by default. Now they appear only when you create the filter, or when you go back and edit the filter's arguments, NOT when you move the cursor within the parentheses. If you want them to appear without editing the script, you can highlight a portion of the text within the filter's parentheses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terranigma View Post
Wow, that's quite the changelog. I'll give this a go right now, Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolent View Post
incredible changelog, i'll give it a try as soon as possible.
thanks for your work qwerpoi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~bT~ View Post
Massssive changelog! Cheers qwerpoi!
Heh, glad you guys are impressed by the changelog, I hope there won't be any major problems so you'll be as happy with the program itself

Quote:
Originally Posted by smok3 View Post
nice, feature request: but it would be even nicer, if the crop info was actually used for proper resizing; example:
http://blog.somestuff.org/resizecalculator.htm
(also crop will need even numbers for yuv.)
As I've mentioned, I'm no resize/aspect ratio expert, but I believe you can crop out black bars (using AvsP's crop tool if you'd like) prior to activating the resize calculator, it should work fine. Basically the pixel aspect ratio (which is automatically computed from the d2v if present) is independent of the video dimensions, so the reported sizes and errors will still be accurate when cropping prior to running the resize calculator. Again, maybe I'm misunderstanding things, so any experts out there, feel free to correct me.
Old 30th August 2007, 03:44   #9  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

Cropping and resizing is such a contentious issue that even the DVD authors don't always get it right, so it's a good thing the PAR is editable. =D

Thank you for continuing to work on this, the additions are pretty helpful. Plus the program forces me to learn a little Python to bend it to my will!
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2007, 04:17   #10  |  Link
Pookie

Almost a year to the day since your original release. Thanks, man.
Pookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2007, 05:18   #11  |  Link
AlanHK

Great, looks nice.

And now for the bitching:

Typo: Program settings/Text 1:
"..captital letters" --> should be "... capital letters"

I've found a couple of glitches using the automatically generated sliders.

I have a rather long script for a grotty old video:
Code:
AVISource("1-1.avi",false)

ffreeze(755)
ffreeze(954)
# 180 ffreezes...
ffreeze(44347)

RemoveDirt()
Sharpen(0.8)
LanczosResize(672,544,0,0,640,480)
AddBorders(24,16,24,16)
(Where ffreeze is my function to simplify FreezeFrame.)

When I loaded this in AvsP, the only function that displayed an automatic slider was Avisource. I couldn't see any way to stimulate it to show the others. But after closing and reopening AvsP, it did detect the commands at the end of the file and presented folded sliders for them.

(Also, when editing the freezeframe numbers I had to continually refresh the video window, otherwise it was showing the wrong frame. This is more of an Avisynth bug I think, similar problems in VDub. This script is the reason I wanted to import and export hundreds of bookmarks, by the way.)

And in another script I have some Trims:

Code:
Trim(0       ,781  )                   ++\ 
Trim(781   +1,6238 ).NoLogoAuto(logo,1)++\ 
Trim(6238  +1,13109)                   ++\ 
Trim(13109 +1, 0   ).NoLogoAuto(logo,1)
The sliders for the Trims are confused by the expressions and seem to just ignore them.

The first Trim's first and last frames are shown correctly, but the second only has: First Frame = 6238.
(It should be 781+1 = 782), and no Last Frame at all. The other Trims are similarly given the wrong frames.

Cropping:
If I use the crop editor and mouse to select an area, but have it an odd number in size, I lose the display completely and get a big red error message "Crop: YUV images can only be cropped by an even number..." There is no way to correct my selection area except editing the script directly, or deleting the crop and starting again. Would be nice if the visual crop editor constrained you to legal crop dimensions.

Tabs:
It's quite subtle how the tabs change to show which is the active one. I'd prefer it if the active tab was very obvious, e.g. a different colour, bold text.

Last edited by AlanHK; 30th August 2007 at 07:02.
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2007, 07:58   #12  |  Link
krisq

Thanks qwerpoi for this über update. Looks slick so far
Old 30th August 2007, 08:26   #13  |  Link
G_M_C

Was looking at all the fast en usefull changes in the old thread, but never tried using this tool. But seeing how far it has come now, i wont be able to forego on it now. So many kudo's for you qwerpoi, you seem to have succesfully created something other people have failed to get right.

Can you guys even see this smily :?
G_M_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2007, 10:39   #14  |  Link
Henrikx

Update German language file AvsP 2.0.0
New address for the Download
http://technik.movie2digital.de/thre...677#post434677

@qwerpoi
Great Work !
Henrikx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2007, 11:50   #15  |  Link
krisq

So... I've opened avsp , drag&dropped .d2v file into it and it showed 'could not open one of the input files'. Save and re-open of the script solved the problem. I have dgdecode in my plugins dir so I don't need to load it manually. There is no such problem with avisource and directshowsource. My guess is it happens with all external source plugins.

Last edited by krisq; 30th August 2007 at 14:14.
krisq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2007, 15:34   #16  |  Link
SixdeeBee

Got this error message:

[Thu Aug 30 16:15:00 2007]
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "run.py", line 6, in <module>
File "AvsP.pyo", line 11164, in main
File "wx\_core.pyo", line 7700, in __init__
File "wx\_core.pyo", line 7352, in _BootstrapApp
File "AvsP.pyo", line 11154, in OnInit
File "AvsP.pyo", line 3344, in __init__
File "AvsP.pyo", line 3900, in defineFilterInfo
File "AvsP.pyo", line 4072, in getFilterInfoFromAvisynth
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'split'

System is an AMD K7 (3200+), WinXP home SP 2.
Old version 1.4 works fine.

On a dual core AMD K8 and WinXP pro SP2 the version 2.0
works fine. Both systems have AviSynth 2.57 installed.

Any idea ???

SDB
SixdeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2007, 19:08   #17  |  Link
jethro

Thank you very much, sir!
jethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2007, 20:36   #18  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

SixDeeBee, does it happen if you empty out the external plugin folder? Can you isolate it to one plugin if it does?

That reminds me, it seems to be failing if C-interface plugins are found during the initial parse. When it comes across Yadif, I get:
Error parsing GetSystemEnv plugin parameters: unknown character Y
Error parsing GetSystemEnv plugin parameters: unknown character a
Error parsing GetSystemEnv plugin parameters: unknown character d
Error parsing GetWorkingDir plugin parameters: unknown character
Error parsing GetFileInfo plugin parameters: unknown character

Doesn't seem care about FFMpegSource though, so maybe it's not C-interface at all.

Last edited by foxyshadis; 30th August 2007 at 21:35.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2007, 00:35   #19  |  Link
SixdeeBee

Found the error, it was my own fault !
Its always the difference between thinking and knowing ...

I thought that it was AviSynth 2.57 which had been installed few weeks ago ... but it was 2.58 !

It seems that there is an incompatibility between 2.58 and AvsP 2.0.
Went back to 2.57 and now it works.

Possibly someone else can also test with 2.58 and tell us his/her results ?

SdB

Last edited by SixdeeBee; 31st August 2007 at 00:39.
SixdeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2007, 23:39   #20  |  Link
qwerpoi

Sorry for the lack of replies recently, I've been sick as a dog these last few days. I'm planning on releasing a bugfix within the week to address some of the issues brought up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyshadis View Post
Thank you for continuing to work on this, the additions are pretty helpful. Plus the program forces me to learn a little Python to bend it to my will!
No problem, and learning a bit of Python is always a good thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
Almost a year to the day since your original release. Thanks, man.
You noticed too, huh? Really just a coincidence (if I noticed sooner I would have planned it to be exactly a year ), seems like it's been out longer than that to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
Typo: Program settings/Text 1:
"..captital letters" --> should be "... capital letters"

I've found a couple of glitches using the automatically generated sliders.
Thanks for the bug reports, I'll look into them, along with your cropping and tab suggestions as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_M_C View Post

Was looking at all the fast en usefull changes in the old thread, but never tried using this tool. But seeing how far it has come now, i wont be able to forego on it now. So many kudo's for you qwerpoi, you seem to have succesfully created something other people have failed to get right.

Can you guys even see this smily :?
Thanks, glad to have another convert (and yes, we can see the smiley.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrikx View Post
Update German language file AvsP 2.0.0
New address for the Download
http://technik.movie2digital.de/thre...677#post434677

@qwerpoi
Great Work !
Your translations are always done in record time! I'll update the links accordingly when I get a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisq View Post
So... I've opened avsp , drag&dropped .d2v file into it and it showed 'could not open one of the input files'. Save and re-open of the script solved the problem. I have dgdecode in my plugins dir so I don't need to load it manually. There is no such problem with avisource and directshowsource. My guess is it happens with all external source plugins.
Okay, thanks for pointing that out, I'll try and see what's going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixdeeBee View Post
Got this error message:

[Thu Aug 30 16:15:00 2007]
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "run.py", line 6, in <module>
File "AvsP.pyo", line 11164, in main
File "wx\_core.pyo", line 7700, in __init__
File "wx\_core.pyo", line 7352, in _BootstrapApp
File "AvsP.pyo", line 11154, in OnInit
File "AvsP.pyo", line 3344, in __init__
File "AvsP.pyo", line 3900, in defineFilterInfo
File "AvsP.pyo", line 4072, in getFilterInfoFromAvisynth
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'split'
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixdeeBee View Post
It seems that there is an incompatibility between 2.58 and AvsP 2.0.
Went back to 2.57 and now it works.
Huh, I'll have to install 2.58 and see what's the problem. I definitely don't want AvsP to force people to stick with older versions of Avisynth, in AvsP 2.0.0 it's possible to create a filter database specific to each version of Avisynth which will be helpful in this matter. However, having the wrong version should not result in a crash, so I'll try and figure out how to fix that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethro View Post
Thank you very much, sir!
No problemo, sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyshadis View Post
That reminds me, it seems to be failing if C-interface plugins are found during the initial parse. When it comes across Yadif, I get:
Error parsing GetSystemEnv plugin parameters: unknown character Y
Error parsing GetSystemEnv plugin parameters: unknown character a
Error parsing GetSystemEnv plugin parameters: unknown character d
Error parsing GetWorkingDir plugin parameters: unknown character
Error parsing GetFileInfo plugin parameters: unknown character

Doesn't seem care about FFMpegSource though, so maybe it's not C-interface at all.
Ho, I'll check that out asap, thanks for letting me know.