Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Old 19th September 2002, 20:58   #41  |  Link
Nic

Weird, though, that should have worked fine, my current setup is set just like that. Ill try your exact settings tomorrow & see if I get the same problem.

Yup, looks like ill have to upgrade to WinXP & setup a 5.1 system to my computer. Im hoping someone will volunteer to add it in.

Ill post back tomorrow....

Cheers,
-Nic

ps
I think it might be todo with the VBR Quality used on the audio, ive never tried that yet so I might have made a bug, if you get chance try setting it to something like 256kbps VBR and see if it works... Thanks for all the good feedback
Nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2002, 04:07   #42  |  Link
Sarreq Teryx

Location: Between a clown and a mime, holding an uzi to each head.
how about a version that isn't reliant on AviSynth, or at least can build it's own AVS
Sarreq Teryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2002, 07:31   #43  |  Link
teplun

I use your encoder to encode a film which length is 2,5 h. The encoding started yesterday evening and it is still running (now about 18 hours). I used multipass mode but not VBR. Does it really take so long?
teplun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2002, 08:38   #44  |  Link
rui

In spite my comp problems, i made a small test with Nic's encoder (without the audio, but with multipass and VBR, in fact i used the settings Nic adviced some post back), and windows media 9 really is a lot more slower than, for example, divx5 or xvid. It toke almost the double time to encode a trailer than it used to with those two codecs. But your encode is really taking too long. Did you tried using any of the other codecs with that movie, to compare speed?

Anyway, Nic' encoder worked very well
It gave me a little undersized file, but not by much. And i could try to optimize the settings to get the perfect filesize.

But i wont

Windows media 9 smooths too much for my taste. For smoothing, i would stay with divx5 which is a lot more faster. Just MHO, of course.
Old 20th September 2002, 13:04   #45  |  Link
Nic

Well it took ages to do my encode last night (a one CD of the fifth element)...And it came out surprisingly good, hmm? will have to test that one again with XviD to see how it does too.

Cheers,
-Nic
Old 20th September 2002, 17:02   #46  |  Link
mkanet

My encoding ran all night and I think it's only 3/4 done with 1 PASS!!! And no audio processing. LOL! This is for 45 mins video. I'm doing decomb:decimate / bicubic resize (1280x720->856x480).

Nic or anyone, have you tried to use WME9's built-in inverse telecine / resize? Perhaps that would take considerably less time to do.
mkanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2002, 08:27   #47  |  Link
atracus

Quote:
Originally posted by mkanet
Nic or anyone, have you tried to use WME9's built-in inverse telecine / resize? Perhaps that would take considerably less time to do.
I used internal deinterlace + crop + resize on lotr, average fps was 6 on 1st pass and 5.8 on 2nd pass on 1GHZ Athlon.

Quality of decombing was flawless.

I forgot: audio was 6x .wav coded into Theater Multi-channel (192k 44kHz 5+1 VBR), muxed on the fly since (I tried with various small samples) muxing streams fails with 5.1 audio and goes regularly async + stuttering after the 1st keyframe (i.e. "x" secs after the play beginning, "x" being the keyframe interval you set in "Compression"). This didn't happen with regular 96Kb VBR Stereo: muxing with Stream Editor worked fine.

[atx]

Last edited by atracus; 21st September 2002 at 10:16.
atracus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2002, 09:13   #48  |  Link
Nic

Hmm, thats a good point, I wonder if thats part of the WMEncoder or the codecs, if its the codecs ill try to add it into my little encoder...

-Nic
Old 21st September 2002, 10:21   #49  |  Link
atracus

Quote:
Originally posted by Nic
Hmm, thats a good point, I wonder if thats part of the WMEncoder or the codecs, if its the codecs ill try to add it into my little encoder...

-Nic
please do
atracus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2002, 07:16   #50  |  Link
mkanet

Okay, my encoding finished after 13 hours.

Now I have a question. I'm using Windows Media Stream Editor to mux the .wma(128Kbps) & .wmv(2Mbps) files together. How come the output file size is SMALLER that the source .wmv file itself? Isn't it's file size supposed to be the sum of both files put together?
Old 22nd September 2002, 08:49   #51  |  Link
-h
Kilted Yaksman

Now I have a question. I'm using Windows Media Stream Editor to mux the .wma(128Kbps) & .wmv(2Mbps) files together. How come the output file size is SMALLER that the source .wmv file itself? Isn't it's file size supposed to be the sum of both files put together?

My guess is that the streams are of different durations, and a significant amount of video is being clipped.

Sure sounded funny the first time I read it though.

-h
-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2002, 12:18   #52  |  Link
BiaTch 5.0
Angel

have a question, how the hell do you predict the final file size?
Old 22nd September 2002, 19:52   #53  |  Link
Nic

Well with a bitrate calculator, but using VBR it can be a little, hit and miss But if you follow what I stated about using constrained VBR (& setting max bitrate to about 2.3x the normal bitrate)..it should come out ok

Cheers,
-Nic
Old 25th September 2002, 01:12   #54  |  Link
Stebet

Does anyone know if WM9 uses 1024 or 1000 bits in a kbit? It seems that not all codecs use the same definition of this (think DivX uses 1024), but since it's kilobits it seems logical that 1kbit = 1000 bits.
Old 25th September 2002, 01:18   #55  |  Link
mkanet

I am having a problem with Windows Media Stream Editor. When I mux a wmv and wma file with this utility, the final file will have parts of the video get stuck, wile the audio continues to play. This is consistent for me every time.
Old 25th September 2002, 09:04   #56  |  Link
Nic

Thats strange mkanet, could be to do with different buffer size windows or something I'd guess, I was thinking about trying to make a muxer.

Ive added the IVTC & Deinterlace functions to my encoder, the 5.1 Audio though is still a little way from being done....

-Nic
Old 27th September 2002, 12:52   #57  |  Link
trbarry

Quote:
I am having a problem with Windows Media Stream Editor. When I mux a wmv and wma file with this utility, the final file will have parts of the video get stuck, wile the audio continues to play. This is consistent for me every time.
Dunno about WME but some decoders/players will use the timestamps in the audio to keep the stream in sync. This means they will drop video frames when they get behind and don't have enough CPU. But if you drop enough frames but keep the audio going then you could get similar symptoms to what you saw.

- Tom
trbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2002, 15:10   #58  |  Link
Nic

new version with the IVTC & deinterlace options (as well as source code) can be found at http://nic.dnsalias.com

-Nic
Old 4th October 2002, 22:30   #59  |  Link
trbarry

Hi Nic -

Just a bump to thank you for your efforts here. I just started to test making moderate bit rate HDTV samples. Pretty impressive so far.

And since I don't intend to upgrade to XP soon this is a quite a nifty and useful tool.

- Tom
trbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2002, 00:26   #60  |  Link
lat3ralis

@mkanet:

I get the same problem when i mux the audio + video with wm9 stream editor. I'm not entirely sure, but i think i managed to fix it. I think it may have something to do with the indexing ...

Try opening the muxed file in WM9 File Editor and then go File -> Save and Index.

See if that works,

lat3ralis

lat3ralis is offline   Reply With Quote