Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th April 2007, 20:54   #1  |  Link
xc3ll

x264 and Stream Processors

I was wondering if there was any work being done on x264 to get it working with nvidia's CUDA technology. It would be great to get that working. If there isn't any current development, or it's still in the beta stages, I'd like to participate. I can do testing(have an 8800gts), as well as write some code(I don't know how x264 works--I should take a peak at the source--but I can write code pretty well).

was going to post this in the development thread, but its locked
xc3ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2007, 21:01   #2  |  Link
burfadel

I'm sure your input would be very welcome! just ask akupenguin on here, he's the x264 author.
burfadel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2007, 22:10   #3  |  Link
akupenguin
x264 developer

I don't have a good idea of the latency and bandwidth avilable for communicating between cpu and gpu, and without that I can't properly evaluate the chances of different methods. But the most likely so far is: Offload motion search (me.c and half of analyse.c) to the gpu. Run intra search on the cpu at the same time. Then merge those results and do the rest of the encoding of the macroblock in pure cpu.
akupenguin is offline   Reply With Quote