Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 ASP
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 20th November 2001, 16:33   #1  |  Link
ricnews

How do you encode Divx4.11 with Xmpeg or Flask in XP?

I've been unable to encode to Divx4.11 with either Xmpeg or Flask. I was able to do this previously, but not since I upgraded to XP Pro, so I suspect that may be the problem.

I followed the Xmpeg guide exactly but always get an error saying the it can't create the file, or something to that effect. I tried doing the same procedure in Flask 0.6 but get the same error.

Someone suggested using "AVI Output" instead of "OpenDML AVI Output" so I tried that in both Xmpeg and Flask. In Xmpeg, it seems to encode okay for about 8% of the movie then it goes to 0fps and doesn't ever continue. In Flask, everything seems to work okay using "AVI Output" however, the end product seems to be either missing the video or the audio. When I encode using either of the single pass modes, I get a large AVI file but only the audio plays when I try to play in in Media Player. Under file properties, the video codec is displayed as "unknown". Also, the audio doesn't sound very good either. Every few seconds it seems to pause or stutter for a split second.

In contrast, using the 2 pass mode, I get the video but there is no audio. The video also seems to have lots of block artifacts. I encoded at around 890bps to fit on 1 CD.

Has anyone gotten this to work in XP. If so, can you post details, please? If not, is there some other (relatively easy) program to use that will run correctly in XP?

Thanks,
Ric
ricnews is offline   Reply With Quote