Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 18th August 2010, 19:57   #4241  |  Link
mark0077

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
My patience ends when I have to ask the same thing over and over again without getting a proper answer. That makes me feel that you don't respect the value of my time.

It doesn't help, btw, that when you finally do answer my question, that you "hide" the answer in an edited older post without clearly saying so...

Ok, so you can't compare to v0.26. How about older versions? Is your impression that frame drops got worse with v0.27? Or can't you say at all?
And my post was edited "Last edited by mark0077; Today at 19:03". and your reply "Today, 19:12"??????

So... maybe you don't value / read the edited responses I or other people point you to...? (or maybe you didn't read my updates before you posted about having to spell it out for me... rude tbh....) My point still stands in any case whether you read the edited replies or not, if people give useless or no information you can choose ignore it... maximum of 30 seconds to read a post and decide its not of any use.... you don't have to abuse their replies or treat them like children "Do I really have to spell it out another time?" ffs. (rule 4 be nice) no matter if you feel their posts are not useful.... You have the choice just to leave it.. or the choice to aggravate their attempts to help. Very simple just to ignore their reports if they arn't what you require.... Lack of courtesy in replies like that just annoy me I just can't let it go sorry... Anyways... on with testing

Anyways. I'll run a test tonight. I'll play a 1 hour clip with 0.26 and 0.27 in exclusive first... Frame drops are so random, its not like theres a clear winner for me with 0.26 and 0.27 yet. After my tests I'll post the number of frame drops and delayed frames. Anything else required, 0.25 also? Logs useful in this case? If not I'll disable debug for the tests on my nvidia card. I'm willing to provide anything you ask for... and I'll try to improve my responses first time

Last edited by mark0077; 18th August 2010 at 20:27.
mark0077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2010, 20:56   #4242  |  Link
Hypernova

madshi, is there any reason why 0.27 might have following issue compare to 0.26?

1) Start the video, but just a black screen show up on MPC-HC. The player freezed, but the sound continue playing. Have to kill the player.
2) BSOD when going in/out of exclusive mode. Mostly when going out.

Both issues are random. I still can't say when will they happen. I didn't change ffdshow, but I did update MPC-HC regularly, so it is possible that it's MPC-HC's fault. Still, it looks more like madVR's problem to me since all these start showing up after I update to 0.27. I will try using 0.26 a few times to see if the problems stay.
Old 18th August 2010, 21:19   #4243  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv View Post
By the way,wich version of Haali's media splitter are you using for your tests ?
Don't think that makes any difference in terms of dropped/delayed frames.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajp_anton View Post
The video doesn't even have to be playing. I can pause and double-click alt+Enter and the chroma plane will shift instantly when getting back to windowed mode.

The change from 712x568 to 712x576 happens in the MPC Video Decoder output (not input) pin also, so I tried ffdshow and there it works fine.
That's extremely weird. And what is worse is that I simply cannot reproduce it, on none of my PCs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0077 View Post
And my post was edited "Last edited by mark0077; Today at 19:03". and your reply "Today, 19:12"??????

So... maybe you don't value / read the edited responses I or other people point you to...?
FWIW, the first time you pointed me to your edited comment was 19:16, which was after my 19:12 reply. I don't usually look back if older posts were edited (do you!?), unless somebody clearly says so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0077 View Post
Anyways. I'll run a test tonight. I'll play a 1 hour clip with 0.26 and 0.27 in exclusive first... Frame drops are so random, its not like theres a clear winner for me with 0.26 and 0.27 yet. After my tests I'll post the number of frame drops and delayed frames. Anything else required, 0.25 also? Logs useful in this case? If not I'll disable debug for the tests on my nvidia card. I'm willing to provide anything you ask for... and I'll try to improve my responses first time
Thanks. Comparison to v0.26 would be best, no other tests needed. No logs needed, either, I have your v0.27 logs. Just a subjective impression of whether v0.27 is worse or better or equal than v0.26, if it's possible to say at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
madshi, is there any reason why 0.27 might have following issue compare to 0.26?
You never know, but I don't see any specific reason for why you should have those new problems. I guess you'll be seeing them with 0.26, too.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2010, 21:47   #4244  |  Link
SantinoSan

I'm running across an unusual error when I play back using madVR. I thought I had it fixed, but I guess not. I movie will play normally for a short period both in windowed mode or exclusive mode, but will start to play very jerky after an unknown period. I have been watching my GPU usage and this is the strangest part...when in windowed, it hovers around 50% when it plays nicely, but when it does not the GPU usage goes down to 0%...this is both watching the catalyst control Center and GPU-Z.

I had it working yesterday with any movie I could throw at it, but today, I can't get it to be consistent.

Madshi,
I am sending you a log file for Minority Report Blu-ray and Coraline.

I think I may have narrowed the problem. For some reason, madVR does not like the output of MPC decoder. When I switched back to ffdshow or coreavc it works fine. I didn't even realize I had ffdshow unselected as the decoder.

Thanks,
Santino

Last edited by SantinoSan; 18th August 2010 at 22:28. Reason: more info
SantinoSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2010, 21:52   #4245  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantinoSan View Post
I'm running across an unusual error when I play back using madVR. I thought I had it fixed, but I guess not. I movie will play normally for a short period both in windowed mode or exclusive mode, but will start to play very jerky after an unknown period. I have been watching my GPU usage and this is the strangest part...when in windowed, it hovers around 50% when it plays nicely, but when it does not the GPU usage goes down to 0%...this is both watching the catalyst control Center and GPU-Z.

I had it working yesterday with any movie I could throw at it, but today, I can't get it to be consistent.
Probably some kind of power saving feature (called "PowerPlay" by ATI, I think). Try disabling that if you can find it in the ATI control panel. Also check the GPU clocks. Do they go down when it's getting jerky? Try fixing the clocks at a specific value. These power saving "features" have been reported to be responsible for playback problems before...
Old 19th August 2010, 02:01   #4246  |  Link
Tom Keller

I have a strange behaviour with 0.27 under WinXP SP2: when starting a video (HD, SD, XviD, H.264... doesn't matter what kind of video) on the second monitor (which is actually my tv, running with 50Hz, connected with the s-video output of my 9600GT), it plays terribly jerky. It looks like it's running with 3fps and 90% of the outputted frames are skipped. But that's not the strange thing - the real strange thing is: when starting the same video on the first monitor (normal vga monitor, running with 100Hz), it plays smooth. I tried different settings... but no change.

It all started with 0.27. There aren't any problems like this with 0.26. Any ideas?
Tom Keller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2010, 03:39   #4247  |  Link
B.F.

Quote:
See my very first reply in this post.
OK. Here is the log.

Quote:
Not really. Does that mean that exclusive mode now works for you with v0.27?
That mean, if I enable 10bit buffer in madVR options go to fullscreen without that error.

Quote:
There already is an option to disable it.
It sub-option for exclusive mode.
Seek-bar now enabled by default even if exclusive mode is disabled.
And this seek bar is not working. It shows, but if I try to seek, it do nothing.
Attached Files
File Type: zip madVR - log.zip (86.1 KB, 51 views)
B.F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2010, 06:20   #4248  |  Link
pankov

B.F.
please, put your log file on mediafire, because attachments in the forum are approved very slowly and madshi can't download and help quickly.
pankov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2010, 06:46   #4249  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankov View Post
attachments in the forum are approved very slowly
We approve attachments several times a day. Is that really "very slowly"?
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2010, 07:54   #4250  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantinoSan View Post
I think I may have narrowed the problem. For some reason, madVR does not like the output of MPC decoder. When I switched back to ffdshow or coreavc it works fine. I didn't even realize I had ffdshow unselected as the decoder.
Interesting. FWIW, the MPC HC internal decoders seem to generally be more buggy compared to ffdshow. At least that has been the past experience when using them with madVR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Keller View Post
I have a strange behaviour with 0.27 under WinXP SP2: when starting a video (HD, SD, XviD, H.264... doesn't matter what kind of video) on the second monitor (which is actually my tv, running with 50Hz, connected with the s-video output of my 9600GT), it plays terribly jerky. It looks like it's running with 3fps and 90% of the outputted frames are skipped. But that's not the strange thing - the real strange thing is: when starting the same video on the first monitor (normal vga monitor, running with 100Hz), it plays smooth. I tried different settings... but no change.

It all started with 0.27. There aren't any problems like this with 0.26. Any ideas?
When playing back on secondary, are you loading the video file while the media player is still on the primary monitor? Or are you loading the video file after you've moved the media player to the secondary monitor?

Can I have 2 logs, please? One from your primary monitor and one from your secondary monitor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.F. View Post
That mean, if I enable 10bit buffer in madVR options go to fullscreen without that error.
Aaah! Now I understand. My first guess would be that your video RAM is too small, so that it only works with 10bit, but not with 16bit textures...

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.F. View Post
Seek-bar now enabled by default even if exclusive mode is disabled.
That will be fixed in the next build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
We approve attachments several times a day. Is that really "very slowly"?
No, it seems that attachments are approved quicker recently. I do remember that in the past it sometimes took several days. Or maybe it was just my impression. Of course different time zones may play a role, too.
Old 19th August 2010, 10:56   #4251  |  Link
brokenmind

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenmind View Post
I have trouble with exclusive mode and latest version of madVR; regardless of starting in fullscreen or just going to FS after starting a video, there's no switch to exclusive mode on second monitor (OSD stats are telling me: 'fullscreen windowed mode'). Player is always launched (windowed/in fullscreen) on 2nd monitor.
Quote:
Weird. I'll need a log - but with the next build (which is not out yet), not with the current build.
unfortunately the problem persists with v0.27. I've created a log file as requested which contains the first few seconds after starting ZP in FS on second monitor. thanks a lot for investigating.
Old 19th August 2010, 11:06   #4252  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenmind View Post
unfortunately the problem persists with v0.27. I've created a log file as requested which contains the first few seconds after starting ZP in FS on second monitor. thanks a lot for investigating.
How does your monitor configuration look like? The log says this:

Code:
fullscreen windowed mode, covered by some windows
madVR window [madVR] "madVR" {-1253,1024,27,1744}
covered by explorer.exe window [Button] "Start" {0,980,54,1034}
So basically the ZoomPlayer/madVR window seems to have the coordinates (left,top,right,bottom): -1253,1024,27,1744. And the Explorer's "Start" button seems to have the coordinates 0,980,54,1034. According to this information the Start button covers a part of the madVR rendering window.

Do you have the secondary monitor placed at the top bottom of the primary monitor? That's a somewhat strange layout. Is there a reason for that? What happens if you move the secondary monitor to the right side of the primary monitor?

What is the exact resolution of your primary monitor?
Old 19th August 2010, 11:38   #4253  |  Link
brokenmind

Quote:
So basically the ZoomPlayer/madVR window seems to have the coordinates (left,top,right,bottom): -1253,1024,27,1744. [...] According to this information the Start button covers a part of the madVR rendering window.

[...] How does your monitor configuration look like?
[...] That's a somewhat strange layout. Is there a reason for that?
[...] What is the exact resolution of your primary monitor?
you point me into the right direction; after installing the latest ATI drivers the coordinates of my monitors slightly overlapped (mea culpa).

I use this layout to have nearly no overlap at all due to using 2nd monitor only for movies. when working on 1st one I don't like to get my mouse & stuff disappearing every time I move a thing too far beyond borders.

nevertheless, after right positioning my screens FSE is kicking in and I'll be happy again
I'm sorry for this self-made issue (I guess it was random luck then working with v0.25)...thank you so much for your time!

(p.s. I moved my setup/config into the signature...)
Old 19th August 2010, 12:41   #4254  |  Link
Mr Alpha

Cool. 0.27 fixed that weird issue I had in exclusive mode.
Mr Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2010, 13:50   #4255  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Alpha View Post
Cool. 0.27 fixed that weird issue I had in exclusive mode.
Really? I've no idea why. But well, it's all good, I guess...
Old 19th August 2010, 14:25   #4256  |  Link
noee

I've finally had a chance to do a little testing with .27. My general observation is that it's better at frame drop than .26. I will say, .26 is very good too, but .27 is better, meaning, at the transition between windowed and fs-x, there are consistently less frame drops. BUt, for my setup, .26 would run through complete movies without a frame drop/delay (without any transitions). .27 is the same.

.27 exhibits the same "black screen, audio playing at startup" issue that has been mentioned before (.26 does not). I've tried creating a log, but have been unable to reproduce with the debug version.

.27 fixes the issue of icon select and drag on the primary causing the switch from fs-x to windowed. (present in .26)

fwiw, since the Aero issue (dual mon, diff refresh) has been fixed, I've been running exclusively with Aero ON and using the "normal" timing mode. All is good here.

Code:
HD2600XT, CCC10.3, Win7 x64, Aero ON, dual-mon (primary 60Hz, sec 24Hz, both 1920x1080)
HMS/FFDshow/Reclock/madVR (fx-mode)/MPC-HC
3Dlut OFF|Spline64|Spline64|Bicubic75
flush|flush and wait(sleep)|don't|don't
noee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2010, 14:32   #4257  |  Link
pie1394

Quote:

Can you shorten that AVI file to a small sample, with which the problem can still be reproduced? If so, you can upload that and I'll have a look.
It might not work if the AVI file gets regenerated.

Here is the madVR log about 12 second playback from beginning. Hope this can give you some clues.
Attached Files
File Type: rar madVR - log.rar (64.4 KB, 43 views)
pie1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2010, 15:11   #4258  |  Link
fastplayer

When you pause during playback, minimize the player window and bring it back to front, why do frames get dropped as reported by the OSD?
fastplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2010, 15:19   #4259  |  Link
Tom Keller

Quote:
When playing back on secondary, are you loading the video file while the media player is still on the primary monitor? Or are you loading the video file after you've moved the media player to the secondary monitor?
The stuttering only happens, when the media player (MPC-HC 1.3.2267.0) is on the secondary monitor while the playback starts... and when the player is set up for fullscreen playback on the secondary monitor (and switching to the secondary monitor immediately after loading the file).

I attached the 2 log files so you could have a look.

When starting the playback on the primary monitor and then switching to fullscreen mode on the secondary monitor, the video plays "fine"... but with tearing most of the time.
Attached Files
File Type: zip primary.zip (101.9 KB, 54 views)
File Type: zip secondary.zip (75.7 KB, 59 views)
Tom Keller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2010, 15:35   #4260  |  Link
ajp_anton

Log file of me playing the non-mod16 sample I posted earlier:
http://www.multiupload.com/C8MP19K1B5

Start playback, go to fullscreen, go back to normal (with shifted chroma), stop playback, close player.
ajp_anton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling