Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Closed Thread

Old 8th April 2008, 22:11   #4201  |  Link
BLKMGK

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydane View Post
You're right nautilus. My "I Am Legend.mkv" is 26,154,776 KB and when I checked it out before I just watched part of the beginning and then dragged the slider towards the end and watched it. I bet if I move the slider to the middle, I'll see the ending credits of the theatrical version, followed by the beginning of the alternate version.

You're right though, I can't believe they put 2 full version of the movie on there. What a waste!
I wouldn't be surprised if they had originally intended to only release on HD-DVD and then just did BD. <shrug> I've got the HD-DVD version on order and it ought to be here any day now so we'll see what that looks like. Maybe they were just lazy? That is pretty funny though, I'll bet we see lots of weird things as time goes on. BD's seamless stuff is kewl but it sure can be a pain when it comes to moving the media. I keep hoping that a DVDShrink type app will come along and preserve the menus etc. in a format that can be played back by something reasonable. One can dream right?
Old 9th April 2008, 04:31   #4202  |  Link
DoomBot

Why does my encoded lpcm to dts file have a buzzing noise i hardly hear the audio?
Old 9th April 2008, 08:09   #4203  |  Link
bmnot

It is possible to extract the 2 channel mix from eac3 or TrueHD streams? I know you can downmix, but wouldn't the internal 2.0 mix be superior? Not sure of the technical details, but I noticed that when I play TrueHD tracks in PowerDVD with the 2 speaker settings, the track is played at 2.0. Setting PowerDVD to 6 speakers, then it goes to 5.1.

Last edited by bmnot; 9th April 2008 at 09:20.
Old 9th April 2008, 10:31   #4204  |  Link
nautilus7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomBot View Post
Why does my encoded lpcm to dts file have a buzzing noise i hardly hear the audio?
Use xport to demux the pcm audio. Then try again. If the problem persists post your log and maybe a sample. Maybe eac3to doesn't
detect the pcm parameters correctly.
Old 9th April 2008, 10:35   #4205  |  Link
nautilus7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmnot View Post
It is possible to extract the 2 channel mix from eac3 or TrueHD streams? I know you can downmix, but wouldn't the internal 2.0 mix be superior? Not sure of the technical details, but I noticed that when I play TrueHD tracks in PowerDVD with the 2 speaker settings, the track is played at 2.0. Setting PowerDVD to 6 speakers, then it goes to 5.1.
There isn't a 2.0 mix. PowerDVD does it's own mix. All i 've seen are instructions on how the player to mix the 5.1 to 2.0, but that's in dvd-audio mlp tracks. Don't know if the same thing applies to hd audio.
Old 9th April 2008, 11:31   #4206  |  Link
bmnot

OK, I got the idea that there is a 2.0 mix from the TrueHD whitepaper: http://www.dolby.com/assets/pdf/tech...whitepaper.pdf

Says 5.1 tracks are 2.0 mix + 3.1 extension
and 7.1 are 2.0 + 3.1 + 2.0
Old 9th April 2008, 11:54   #4207  |  Link
nautilus7

Well, i don't know where that mentioned in the pdf refers to... but if there was something like a 2.0 core in truehd tracks, madshi would have known. He deals with such stream for 1 year now.

I know for sure (madshi told that here) that ALL 7.1 E-AC3 tracks have a 5.1 core inside. That core is extracted/decoded with nero decoder and current libav version. Future libav version will decode full 7.1 E-AC3 streams.

Here's what madshi said:

Quote:
"Normal" E-AC3 tracks have one E-AC3 frame per audio frame. 7.1 E-AC3 tracks have two E-AC3 frames per audio frame. The first E-AC3 frame is a conventional 5.1 E-AC3 core. The 2nd E-AC3 frame is an E-AC3 frame with 4 channels in it. Two of those channels replace the surround channels of the 5.1 core. The other two channels are the back surround channels. The surround channels of the 5.1 core are totally dropped when a decoder decodes the 7.1 extension. The surround channels of the core contain a downmix of the surround and back surround channels.

Last edited by nautilus7; 9th April 2008 at 11:57.
Old 9th April 2008, 12:09   #4208  |  Link
shambles

truehd does work in layers apparently.. here's a post on avsforum by amirm. don't know about eac3 tho.
Old 9th April 2008, 12:16   #4209  |  Link
nautilus7

I wasn't aware of that. I am quite sure that this hasn't mentioned here, though. I have been following this thread since July 2007.
Old 9th April 2008, 14:01   #4210  |  Link
the_provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautilus7 View Post
Do you use the keymakers gui? It has a bug and it doesn't put a space between the output filename and the -448. Switch to the alternate gui (eac3to and more gui - see separate thread in the audio section) or use the cmd version.

Best decoder for dts is sonic. If you have it let it decode instead of selecting any other. Don't use the -keepdialnorm option. There's no point.
Greetings and thank you for reply.

As advised I dumped Keymakers GUI although the script have 2 spaces between the output filename and bitrate and the same between the bitrate and filter(...). Tried eac3to and more gui but something must have gone wrong because it run for more than 2 hours until I stopped it and, you guessed, I dumped it too.

SO I gave a try to the CMD version. SO I tried the following and you can see the result, too:
C:\Program Files\eac3to\eac3to "C:\HEART\HEART T01 DELAY 0ms.dts" "C:\HEART\HEART T01 DELAY 0ms.ac3" -378 -sonic
Access is denied.

with a pop-up stating that:
C:\Program Files\eac3to>eac3to.exe is not a Win32 valid application.
Because
C:\Program Files\eac3to>eac3to.exe returns the same warning I guess that something else is wrong...because the parsing of the script stopes at the very first instruction, eac3to.exe...So?

Any idea?
Thank you for the sonic tip.

Best regards.
Old 9th April 2008, 14:19   #4211  |  Link
nautilus7

One space is the right thing, obviously. I've read that keymaker's gui doesn't put any space, not 2. Sonic switch isn't necessary for dts, cause it's the default decoder for dts(-hd).

Where is the eac3to.exe located? Is it in C:\Program Files\eac3to ???
I don't know what's wrong. You can't even run just eac3to without any input.

Last edited by nautilus7; 9th April 2008 at 14:57.
Old 9th April 2008, 15:15   #4212  |  Link
the_provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautilus7 View Post
One space is the right thing. I've read that keymaker's gui doesn't put any space, not 2. Sonic switch isn't necessary for dts, cause it's the default decoder for dts(-hd).

Where is the eac3to.exe located? Is it in C:\Program Files\eac3to ???
I don't know what's wrong. You can't even run just eac3to without any input.
Greetings and thank you again.

There are several problems:
1. few minutes ago, taking a closer look at the subdirectory I noticed that eac3to.exe has the size equal to 0B!!!
For sure I didn't erased it but yesterday It must have happened at least once more: after the first no-parameters conversion I noticed that the next attempts returns the same errors as today. I imagined that some file must have been screwed up and I simply unzip again the package in the same location/directory without bothering to search what went wrong.
So today I simply unzip the package once more and voilla(as in "It works!")!
2. Sonic is not working anymore probably because I installed ffdshow codec package yesterday. My mistake...
3. A good news: libav works and probably I will not know the difference...
4. The space expected at the end of the destination file is really missing...

In conclusion: CMD version rules! (Anyway I had everything solved from the point of view of conversion with dts2ac3/bepipe/aften from yesterday...)

All the best and thank you once more for patience and time taken to reply, I think we can call the case closed.

Last edited by the_provider; 9th April 2008 at 15:17. Reason: I add something to the posting
Old 9th April 2008, 19:19   #4213  |  Link
wildchild22

Okay I am having problems with beowulf hd-dvd. I have the video and audio demuxed. I am having touble converting the dolby digital plus stream to lpcm.

I have converted it to flac dts ac3 and pcm and lpcm
eac3to beowulf.eac3 beowulf.( using this after the .
flac ac3 -640 dts pcm and lpcm)
the lpcm and pcm files are not recognized by any muxing tool.
I have tried converting the flac file using .pcm amd .lpcm and same results.

How do I make a compatible lpcm file btw the pcm and lpcm files are around 5 gigs in size and the original eac3 file is 1.5 gigs.

the pcm files when played back sounds like it is encoded like dts played back on a cd player.

Do I need to use any other program to do this conversion.
Old 9th April 2008, 19:33   #4214  |  Link
nautilus7

I think you 're a bit confused.

PCM and LinearPCM is the same thing. Or at lest the same for eac3to. It's uncompressed audio while AC3 is compressed. That explains the size difference.

To decode E-AC3 to PCM you jus have to type:

Code:
eac3to input.eac3 output.pcm
If this returns any kind of message in eac3to, post the log.

What programs did you try to mux the pcm file and in what container? What is your ultimate goal?
Old 9th April 2008, 20:45   #4215  |  Link
wildchild22

Yeah their are no errors in the file made by eac3to it makes the file fine. tsremuxer and manzanita do not recognize the
stream (pcm file made by eac3to) it does recognize the dts file and ac3 file so I know the demuxed file is fine.

My ultimate goal is to make a file that is lossless in both audio and video from an hd-dvd and playable by everything not just a pc. that is why I dont want to keep it in flac.

What should I use to mux in the pcm file and avc h2.64 file into a blu-ray stream. Tsremuxer doesnt work with the pcm file.
Old 9th April 2008, 20:54   #4216  |  Link
nautilus7

It's has to do with the channel order i think. Blu-ray pcm has different channel order the the usual one.

You can remap channels by typing:

Code:
eac3to your.initial.pcm your.final.pcm -0,1,2,3,4,5
Where you have to put these numbers in the right order (which i don't know what is the right one for blu-ray). Sorry!

Last edited by nautilus7; 9th April 2008 at 21:03.
Old 9th April 2008, 21:01   #4217  |  Link
wildchild22

Okay last thing. Why cant I play back the pcm file?

I can play back the ac3 and dts and flac but the pcm file will not playback using nero showtime, windows media player 11, or vlc. It sounds like a digitaly encoded file.
I am using the newest version of eac3to.

Also should eac3to swap channels and change endian when converting the dolby digital plus file into lpcm
Old 9th April 2008, 21:12   #4218  |  Link
nautilus7

(i changed my previous post, make sure you read it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild22 View Post
Okay last thing. Why cant I play back the pcm file?
You can't playback it, i think, because it needs to be put into a container, like wav, m2ts, ts etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild22 View Post
Also should eac3to swap channels and change endian when converting the dolby digital plus file into lpcm
If it says it does, then it should...
Old 9th April 2008, 23:06   #4219  |  Link
Jong

@Madshi,

Hi. I have written a guide for HD-DVD -> mkv on the Slysoft forum that leans heavily on your great tool!

http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=15543

The guide works, I believe(!), typos excepted, but:

1) I am not happy with how I get the full stream list from the parsed EVO. Basically I suggest people start a demux of the main movie to get the stream list then break it with ctrl-c, just so they can see all the stream numbers. Then they need to delete the files that had started being created and type a new command line extracting just the streams they want. It is hardly elegant!

I know I could say to type the whole file path to the evo for each title they wish to extract, but that also seems messy. Is there already a way to type something like "eac3to f:\ 1)" or "eac3to f:\ 1) -list" and have that just list the streams in that title with ID#s without doing any demuxing? If not, could there be?!

2) I am not clear how you find subtitle streams. Somewhere in this mammoth thread you talk about parsing the first 300MB for subtitles. My concern is that "Forced" subtitles, such as those that handle conversations in a language other than that of the main soundtrack may only have a few lines in them and these may not be until WELL into the film. In an extreme example there may be just one conversation 5 minutes before the end. EVO Demux is fine with this as it uses the xpl info to list the streams. Is Eac3to also fine, if there is an XPL file? Or will it fail to find the stream if it does not start near the beginning? If the latter, I think this may be a serious problem with subtitle handling.

3) One further question, if I may, that probably should be in the MadFLAC thread, but since it is all about the same guide I thought I'd post here. I currently suggest installing ffdshow for FLAC decoding. I know that MadFLAC can now also decode FLAC in a Matroska container. Is this just so MadFLAC is able to offer a full solution to FLAC decoding or do you feel you have a superior FLAC decoder for use in mkv playback? I know you may find this question amusing - "of course mine is better!" - but I did read in the MadFLAC thread that you doubted you would be able to offer anything over and above what ffdshow offers. Of course if you wish me to repost this in the MadFLAC thread, just say and I will do so!

Thanks for your help.

Jon
Old 9th April 2008, 23:31   #4220  |  Link
boykster

Hi Jong,

You CAN get the track listing for the title set by omitting the output file

eac3to z:\ n)

z = HD-DVD drive or path to files
n = titlenum you want

without having to specify an output file and using CTRL+C to break the process.

Last edited by boykster; 9th April 2008 at 23:34.
Closed Thread

Tags
eac3to