Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th March 2012, 20:54   #41  |  Link
szabi

Hi

I wanted to test this program with a movie.

Lenght of theatrical version is: 1h56m37s
Directory version is: 1h55m50s
After extraction, i got this lenght: 2h48m11s.

There is not as much alternate scene as i got longer time.
IAW comparison between the two version the difference is 312 sec, however directory one is sorter.
So I do not understand what is the extra 45min.

bye
szabi
szabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2012, 01:24   #42  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

yeah thats ok for this version.

the "extra" length of 45mins comes from the different sence. use the chapter.xml in mkvmerge. it will work.
hubblec4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2012, 04:43   #43  |  Link
robpdotcom

If you want both versions, an extra 45 minutes is much better than the alternative - which would be an extra 1h55m.
AMD 6870
robpdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2012, 11:39   #44  |  Link
szabi

Yeah you are right, plus 45min is better than plus 1h55min.
But i still do not understand it.
In the movie the scene difference is only 312sec not 45min.

I am not familiar with BD structue, so I do not know what way the extra scenes are stored.
Propable this extra 312sec scene are stored separatedly, in this 45min.
That can be a reason for this result.
Old 8th March 2012, 13:46   #45  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

Quote:
Originally Posted by szabi View Post
But i still do not understand it.
In the movie the scene difference is only 312sec not 45min.
thats correct, but the scences stored in diffrent m2ts-files.
and maybe a part of this files have the same video inside like an ohter m2ts-file.

with eac3to you can show what files needed, and you can compare this files.

or you make your own 2in1 version. you look the whole movie an notice the timestamps when start another scene.
then you make an ordered-chapter.xml by your self.
(its a lot of work)

Last edited by hubblec4; 27th March 2012 at 15:32.
Old 8th March 2012, 16:14   #46  |  Link
szabi

Yeah, I know it.
I wrote previously I gave up doing it manyually, because of lots of work.

I do not understand it, because i am not familiar with DB structure.
I just prefer clicking on the extract button.

bye
szabi
Old 10th March 2012, 23:56   #47  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

hi everyone.

I have created a 4-Edition-mkv of Terminator 2 - Judgment Day.

The Bluray contains 3 Editions (theatrical cut, directors cut and the Extended Cut(T-1000 Edition)).

But i like to watch all the extended scence without the alternitive end. So i created an ordered chapter.xml with a 4th Edition.

For correctly playing the file you need a splitter that handles ordered chapters, like Haali Splitter or AVSplitter (Lav Filter dont support ordered chapters yet)

If you watching the file without an "ordered-chapter-splitter" you get the 2. Edition(Directors cut) automaticly.

Attachments:
the ordered chapter.xml with the chapter titles for all 4 Editions in english.
the tags.xml to show the editions
an extract.cmd--> use this file to get the streams of the bluray
deu ndn.sup thats the german forced subtitles
(qpfile.txt: this file you need for encoding)

Have Fun.

PS: Please redownload the 7zipfile. The 4.Edition is fixed!(ordered chapters set not correct: one extended scene plays two times)
Attached Files
File Type: 7z T2-4Editons.7z (170.9 KB, 125 views)

Last edited by hubblec4; 10th August 2012 at 20:52.
Old 18th March 2012, 12:49   #48  |  Link
MukiEX

Is there any way to migrate track names over? Manually putting those in seems exceedingly tedious, especially for the track count that Blu-Ray titles tend to attain.
MukiEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2012, 02:53   #49  |  Link
Lincoln Burrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Burrows View Post
It worked! But is raises one last question: what if I wanted to add a new audio or subtitle stream into the generated MKV file?

Will I just need to open the MKV with MKVMerge to do so?
Quote:
Originally Posted by robpdotcom View Post
Well, first you would need to extract the new stream with xin1 - making sure to choose the titles in the same order as you did for the original.

Then, you could mux it in with mmg. However, I'm not sure if the tag file is kept when remuxing (I think it is), so you might need to get that when you extract the new stream.

Later on I'll explain how to create tag files manually, and how to add them to existing mkv's (it can be done in a few seconds without remuxing).
To answer my own question, it's possible to add a new audio track and this track will be read just fine. For example, I have a movie called "Once Upon a Time in West", where there are 2 versions - Theatrical and Restored:

http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=991957

Restored has some additional scenes. I added a portuguese dubbing track, only made for the theatrical version, and synchronized with this version for the DVD. I find out this track is synchronized with either the theatrical and restored versions from the Blu-ray. The additional scenes from the restored version do not read this track, as expected, only the others like english. MKVTOOLNIX kept the tags/chapters information, created by xin1generator, when saving the MKV again.

P.S. I think you should modify this program to save DTS-HD MA tracks with the DTS extension (if this is not a problem). I had to rename it to make sure MKVTOOLNIX would recognize. It saved with the DTSMA extension.

Last edited by Lincoln Burrows; 26th April 2012 at 17:11.
Lincoln Burrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2012, 03:59   #50  |  Link
robpdotcom

MKVToolnix should recognize it, maybe you need to update.
AMD 6870
robpdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2012, 08:16   #51  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

mmg/mkvmerge do not care about the file extension. The only place it's a tiny bit relevant is the file dialogs because they default to a list of most-often used file extensions to display -- but you can always chose "all files". You could even remove the file extension completely.

There's only one exception and that is VobSubs because they consist of two files.

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Mosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2012, 00:45   #52  |  Link
Lincoln Burrows

Folks, do you know the name of any similar tool, but for DVDs?

I have a title with the R-Rated Theatrical and Unrated versions, so it's using seamless branching as well.
Old 30th July 2012, 19:34   #53  |  Link
Lincoln Burrows

I am having a problem with Stargate (1994). I analysed the Blu-ray and created a Matroska (using MKVToolnix) with both Theatrical (2h) and Extended (2h09) versions.

However, after I did all this procedure, I decided to insert a MP3 audio track (with the same length as the Extended version).

This is the error I am getting here: the first 2 minutes are being cut when I select the Extended Version, and if I select the Theatrical one, nothing is cut.

What is wrong with this picture? Should I edit something else here? Perhaps the tags file?

I want this MP3 to be functional and for the Extended version only.

P.S. I didn't had this problem with the Blu-ray from the movie Once Upon a Time in the West (1968). I have no idea what went wrong this time.
Old 29th May 2020, 14:06   #54  |  Link
DVD

Generating Seamless branching MKV files

Hello everyone,

While watching a seamless branching Blu-Ray I started thinking about bringing this into a MKV file and stumbled across this post on my journey to make it work.

Let my try to explain what I did. Maybe you can help me to find our what went wrong.

Also, I am not looking to house two different cuts of a movie (e.g. standard cut vs. director's cut) in a MKV file, but actually different languages (german version vs. english version).

On my BD it looks like this

I have two playlists with the move (one is the English version, one is the German version), e.g.

0001.MPLS (eng)
-> 00001.M2TS
-> 00002.M2TS
-> 00003.M2TS
-> 00004.M2TS
-> 00010.M2TS

and

0002.MPLS (deu)
-> 00001.M2TS
-> 00011.M2TS
-> 00003.M2TS
-> 00012.M2TS
-> 00010.M2TS

As you can see, the movie branches back and forth between the different segments, depending on what playlist is used.

Now I took this approach: I created two full MKV files (one with the german version, one with english version using MakeMKV). I then used MKVToolNix (mkvmerge) to split the two versions into segments. I used the exact time codes from the MPLS files to cut/split. I ended up with the following files (each MKV file theoretical matching the corresponding M2TS file):

-> 00001.MKV
-> 00002.MKV
-> 00003.MKV
-> 00004.MKV
-> 00010.MKV
-> 00011.MKV
-> 00012.MKV

I then concatenated everything into one big file (00001.MKV->00010.MKV [full movie, first language] + 00011.MKV + 00012.MKV [missing segments for the second language]) and used Editions to create the chapters for the two different versions of the movie.

Unfortunately, the results are not ideal: The MKV files are usually a few milliseconds longer in duration than the MPLS files suggest for each playitem. As a result this error adds up: The german segments appended to the end of the english movie in total have a ~0.5 seconds longer duration than they should have as per the total play item sum from the MPLS. This causes the chapter time codes and the "actual" segment time codes to disperse.
This means, that at the end of the movie the branching is no longer seamless and the player "jumps" to a slightly off timeframe, causing a couple of frames to repeat.

Now my questions: What am I doing wrong? What could I do better?

I checked a sample segment's MKV file and while the last frame's timing (video track) seems to match the expected length perfectly, the MKV still seems to be a little to long ...

Also, I took a look at chapterEditor. It looks like it takes a similar approach, which is to append the "missing" segments from one version to the end of the other version.

CU DVD
DVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2020, 16:06   #55  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD View Post
...Now my questions: What am I doing wrong?
Only chapterEditor can handle such BDs correctly, but also chapterEditor needs prepared audio streams. This means you have to extract the audio streams where all m2ts files are used which belongs to both movie versions. Because in the audio streams are identical frames which have to skipped.
All this can be done in cE with few clicks.

Your work chain: generate two mkv's and extract segments and then merge all segments is a bad idea because cutting is in general not a solution which will 100% work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD View Post
What could I do better?

Also, I took a look at chapterEditor. It looks like it takes a similar approach, which is to append the "missing" segments from one version to the end of the other version.
Yeah, use chapterEditor. For more helping please use the chapterEditor thread.
Old 3rd June 2020, 10:22   #56  |  Link
DVD

Hello guys,

Thanks for the feedback. I now tried chapterEditor to create a version of that movie. Turns out the result is even worse than my manual approach. The skips and jumps at the branching points got significantly worse, several seconds now at the end of the movie instead of just half a second in my "manual" file. My assumption is that the time codes that are maintained in the play items of the MPLS file do not match the timecode that end up in the MKV based on the individual M2TS file's video/audio contents.

I will now try to convert the M2TS files one by one into MKV to get the exact timings/durations so I can set/correct the branch points accordingly. Let' see if that works.

CU DVD
Old 3rd June 2020, 13:33   #57  |  Link
DVD

Okay, I played around a little with the individual M2TS files and converted the first few to MKV files. Looks like the result is quite different from the timeing the play items in the MPLS would suggest. It seems to be of by 1/10 second but with 54 M2TS files that adds up to a noticable difference.

CU DVD