Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Capturing Video

Old 12th February 2004, 04:56   #1  |  Link
ShyGuy

Pinnacle DC10+ vs Nvidia VIVO vs ATI VIVO

Hi guys,

Just for clarification, my current system specs are:

Windows XP, Athlon XP 1800+, 512mb ram, 30gb hdd + 40gb hdd, Pinnacle DC10+ and Pinnacle Studio 8.5.21.0

I've done a lot of searching around these forums, and have come up with conflicting results! Some have said that the DC10+ produces better results than the other cards, while others have said that Nvidia-based VIVO cards offer the best capture quality. And then sometimes ATI VIVO are mentioned, lol!

Of course, I'm talking purely about capturing from analogue sources, and creating MPEG2 video files for DVD productions.

I'm wondering, should I sell my DC10+ and buy an Nvidia-based VIVO card? I'm sorta looking at a GeForce FX5700 VIVO card based on 8x AGP, or should I think about a Radeon 9200 VIVO card? As you can see, I sorta have a budget that I'd like to stick to should I sell the DC10+.

Do "newer" ATI/Nvidia cards like 9600, 9800, FX5900, etc...have BETTER vivo capabilities??

Or, should I just keep the DC10+ and Studio 8.5??

I'm also looking into using VirtualDub since everybody is raving about it, and that's another reason why I'm considering selling the DC10+ and going for one of the VIVO's.

I'd like expert opinions, so I figured this was the best place to ask!

Is there anything I'm missing? Are there other options I could take?

Thanks all!
40Gb Seagate 7200RPM IDE HDD
512Mb RAM
Pinnacle Studio 8.5 and Pinnacle DC10+
ShyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2004, 11:00   #2  |  Link
Inc
Squeeze it!

Re: Pinnacle DC10+ vs Nvidia VIVO vs ATI VIVO

Quote:
I'm wondering, should I sell my DC10+ and buy an Nvidia-based VIVO card?

Or, should I just keep the DC10+ and Studio 8.5??

I'm also looking into using VirtualDub since everybody is raving about it, and that's another reason why I'm considering selling the DC10+ and going for one of the VIVO's.
With the right drivers and a good input signal the quality of the DC10 is very very good.

I got two cards of my own, a DC30 (same digitizer as DC10) and a 7134 Videocard.

The advantage of the 7134 is that its supported by Vdub via the reg.patch and also it gots a TV Tuner.

A big advantage of the DC10 is that it gots a Hardware YUY2 mjpeg codec onboard and at high Mbyte/sec transfer rate settings you have all you need.

Inc.
Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2004, 11:58   #3  |  Link
ShyGuy

Re: Re: Pinnacle DC10+ vs Nvidia VIVO vs ATI VIVO

Quote:
Originally posted by incredible
With the right drivers and a good input signal the quality of the DC10 is very very good.
And what are these drivers?

I'm using the latest drivers for WinXP that I downloaded from the Pinnacle website, and I updated Studio 8 to the latest one 8.5.

Should I be using a different driver?

Quote:
Originally posted by incredible
A big advantage of the DC10 is that it gots a Hardware YUY2 mjpeg codec onboard and at high Mbyte/sec transfer rate settings you have all you need.
"high Mbyte/sec transfer rate", that means fast hard drive yes?

My 40gb hard drive is a Seagate 7200RPM IDE, I was under the impression that that's fast enough!

What about SATA? Do they offer any performance advantages?
40Gb Seagate 7200RPM IDE HDD
512Mb RAM
Pinnacle Studio 8.5 and Pinnacle DC10+
ShyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2004, 12:57   #4  |  Link
Inc
Squeeze it!

Sorry my english ...

with high transfer datarate I meant enough mbyte/sec seen in case of mjpeg encoding quality while capturing.

If you i.e. do capture in 5 mbyte/sec you even can use an old HD so yours in case of transfer speed is defenitely enough .... maybe a bigger drive is needed in case of high quality movie capturing at full resoultion.
And SATA?? Well why shooting on birds using cannons ;-))

According to drivers, well I think the XP drivers from the manufacturer itself would be the best. I also use a DC10 Driver in case of my DC30 ... works perfect and even turns a DC30 to be able to capture at 5MB/sec.

IMHO the best capturing appl. for DC10/DC30 is virtual PC and its integrated audio dynamical resampling as you end up with a perfect in sync accurate final-framerate, like in my case 25fps and 48khz audio (audio captured via my Epox 8rda+ onboard sound device).

Do you also do capture TV broadcastings?
In that case a good VCR with a good internal tunerdevice and s-video connection and cinch audio connection to the soundcard/device delivers a perfect broadcasting signal to the DC10.

Last edited by Inc; 12th February 2004 at 13:00.
Old 12th February 2004, 13:57   #5  |  Link
Arachnotron
Alias fragger

@incredible,

Quote:
The advantage of the 7134 is that its supported by Vdub via the reg.patch and also it gots a TV Tuner.
Which patch is that? I never got my SAA7134 (A Terratec Cinergy) working with vdub, so I am very interested...
Arachnotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2004, 14:29   #6  |  Link
Inc
Squeeze it!

Quote:
Originally posted by Arachnotron
@incredible,

Which patch is that? I never got my SAA7134 (A Terratec Cinergy) working with vdub, so I am very interested...
Download this Cinergy 1.4 Driver: http://home.arcor.de/the.incredible/WDMDriver1_4.zip

And the DirectX9b patch:
http://home.arcor.de/the.incredible/...16-x86-DEU.exe

Install the WDMVFW Wrapper

Watch a little Guide in here:
http://www.shdon.com/view.php?doc=vid_faq#saa713x

Here's the importand part:
Quote:
Run the registry editor, and locate the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and expand it. This will have a series of numbered subkeys. Each time you click on a subkey, the right-hand pane will be updated to display its contents. Take a look at the "DriverDesc" value. One of them will have the value "LifeView FlyVideo WDM Video Capture". Once you've found the appropriate subkey, expand it and find the subkey "Parameters". There should be a DWORD value called "CapPreviewEnabled". Set that to 0.
Look out at the mentioned Path for the "Parameters" Folder where you can find the "CapPreviewEnabled" and set the entry from "1" to "0".

Restart your machine and do select in Vdub as source "YUY2" and your capturing size, i.e. in PAL 704x576 or 352x576.

Don't use the option to start capture via "F5" as it ends up with dropped frames (in my case), insteat you choose to start the capture process by clicking via your mouse into the preview window.

Also: You will se that when the reg.Patch is done in Vdub you cant choose "overlay" as its disabled now. But you choose "Preview" ( hit the key "p" for prev. on and off).

Next time you start Vdub in capture mode maybe you have to rechoose the videoinput of your card and you have to just switch the preview once off and on by hitting "p". Then the preview starts.
Maybe the preview in Vdub looks jerky, but no matter, once you start capturing, it continues but smooth ;-)

I do end up with 0 dropped frames even when applying a minimal noise reduction in the capture/Video settings ---- awesome!

;-)
Old 12th February 2004, 15:03   #7  |  Link
Arachnotron
Alias fragger

@Incredible

Thanks for the detailed explanation! I have some tweaking to do this weekend.

Arachnotron is offline   Reply With Quote