Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 17th March 2015, 21:34   #18761  |  Link
huhn

not sure if you need something special from pot player but with MPC-HC/BE you could use lav audio for decoding, ffdshow for processing and still use the build in time shift from the audio switcher/audio renderer.

and a new audio renderer for MPC-HC is coming "soon" too.
http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?...postcount=1722
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2015, 21:36   #18762  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax76 View Post
Is it correct that the Haali Splitter setup silently disables LAV Filters features? Isn't this unfortunate for LAV Filters.

I'm asking because of software that rely on Haali splitter like eac3to, gdsmux/dsmux, TS-Doctor, ffms2 etc.
It doesn't "disable" them as such, it just puts itself into their place.
If you install LAV after Haali, it'll do the same. Both compete for similar functionality afterall, and only one source filter can be registered with DirectShow for each format.
Old 17th March 2015, 21:43   #18763  |  Link
Sparktank
47.952fps@71.928Hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
https://github.com/foo86/dcadec

This project has really clean code, and he was very responsive to an issue I reported. It may not be 100% perfect yet, but its in a much better state than the libav decoder in any case, and the developer is still actively working.
This is wonderful news!

I was waiting for something like this to show up in the open-source world.

Really can't wait to see all the new updates from everyone.
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 @3.4GHz (6c/12th, I'm on AVX2 now!)
Sparktank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2015, 02:23   #18764  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
not sure if you need something special from pot player but with MPC-HC/BE you could use lav audio for decoding, ffdshow for processing and still use the build in time shift from the audio switcher/audio renderer.
Good point, anyway I've run more tests and it seems obvious that LAV's "Auto A/V Sync Correction" helps quite a lot IME when seeking while having Ozone5's GUI running on top of mVR, it doesn't completely avoid random desync when O5's GUI appears but it does seem to kick in and resync by itself rather quickly so all is well, all roads lead to Rome and sorry for the e-drama.

I'm more than ever impressed by what you can achieve with PotPlayer+mVR+LAV+ffdshow. Turns out Ozone5's linear phase EQ latency together with my TV input lag call for -262ms delay in LAV audio for perfect lipsync @24Hz, too good

Last edited by leeperry; 18th March 2015 at 04:10.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2015, 02:56   #18765  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

so I guess the only thing now missing is a free Dolby Atmos decoder?
Old 18th March 2015, 06:54   #18766  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

That will quite certainly stay missing. Atmos relies on measuring the equipment to achieve optimal utilization.

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2015, 10:32   #18767  |  Link
xooyoozoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LigH View Post
That will quite certainly stay missing. Atmos relies on measuring the equipment to achieve optimal utilization.
Rendering to an "idealized" speaker system setup would probably also work. After all, that describes essentially every multichannel mix we've had to date.

I think the important part is getting a renderer that can map arbitrary objects at arbitrary points in a 3D space into (semi-customizable) loudspeaker positions. Unfortunately, that part is beyond what's usually expected of simple software decoders.
xooyoozoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2015, 11:13   #18768  |  Link
huhn

i guess we need new hardware to support the 32 channel HDMI 2.0 setup.

without that we can't even send a decoded DD atmos stream to a over 7.1 setup.
i guess this will happen some time in the future this is kinda like room correction software nothing totally new.

and headphone DD atmos is something that makes totally sense for a PC too and a full decoded stream is needed for this.

so i hope it will be added in the feature. but i guess bitstreaming will be the best way to deal with it.
Old 19th March 2015, 22:37   #18769  |  Link
Liandri

LAV Audio request

I'd like more options for sound mixing.

Right now, I can only choose between mono, stereo, 4.0, 5.1, 6.1 and 7.1.

I have a 5.1 headphones and some videos come with 5.1 channels, but in most of them I got a bad impression due to voices being too silent in 5.1 mode. So I prefer using stereo output.

I'm using KMPlayer and it has an internal "KMP Audio Codec" which has a lot of output options, including "2/0+sub; 2.1 stereo" option. In this mode, the output is stereo but also I really can feel the subwoofer (and I love it).

But with LAV Audio (which I'd really like to use as a main option) I can only set sound mixing to Stereo, with no subwoofer output. Setting to 5.1 only gives me an old result which I don't like.

tl;dr: I want "2.0+sub" output mode for sound mixing.
Liandri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2015, 00:55   #18770  |  Link
Pat357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liandri View Post

I have a 5.1 headphones and some videos come with 5.1 channels, but in most of them I got a bad impression due to voices being too silent in 5.1 mode. So I prefer using stereo output.

I'm using KMPlayer and it has an internal "KMP Audio Codec" which has a lot of output options, including "2/0+sub; 2.1 stereo" option. In this mode, the output is stereo but also I really can feel the subwoofer (and I love it).

But with LAV Audio (which I'd really like to use as a main option) I can only set sound mixing to Stereo, with no subwoofer output. Setting to 5.1 only gives me an old result which I don't like.

If you really want this, move the slider for LFE (Low Frequency ...) to the right in the LAV-audio mixing tab. You need full range speakers for this. Also disable the "normalize matrix" button, just leave the "clipping protection" enabled.
If the surround is to loud (or voices to low), try the to move the slider for surround to the left (less surround) and the slider for the center to the right (more center) in the down-mixing.
You'll need to re-adjust the volume on your AMP/headphones after these to compensate.

Last edited by Pat357; 20th March 2015 at 01:07.
Pat357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2015, 06:52   #18771  |  Link
Jtacdf

Earlier this month, Intel released a new driver that supposedly add video playback of HEVC video format at 4K.
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/dow...7-8-8-1-64-bit

I'm not sure if it is software, hybrid or QS? Anyway, I'm unable to test it as the HEVC is greyed out with QS as an option.
Jtacdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2015, 07:22   #18772  |  Link
Liandri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat357 View Post
If you really want this, move the slider for LFE (Low Frequency ...) to the right in the LAV-audio mixing tab. You need full range speakers for this. Also disable the "normalize matrix" button, just leave the "clipping protection" enabled.
If the surround is to loud (or voices to low), try the to move the slider for surround to the left (less surround) and the slider for the center to the right (more center) in the down-mixing.
You'll need to re-adjust the volume on your AMP/headphones after these to compensate.
I tried and it seems LFE slider does nothing when mixing mode is Stereo (don't feel anything, also can see in Status that there is no LFE bar). I suppose your recommendation is for case when 5.1 mixing is used. I tried what you said with 5.1 mode and I really didn't like the results.

I'd like to use Stereo mixing mode with subwoofer/LFE working.

Last edited by Liandri; 20th March 2015 at 07:31.
Old 20th March 2015, 13:22   #18773  |  Link
mastan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtacdf View Post
Earlier this month, Intel released a new driver that supposedly add video playback of HEVC video format at 4K.
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/dow...7-8-8-1-64-bit

I'm not sure if it is software, hybrid or QS? Anyway, I'm unable to test it as the HEVC is greyed out with QS as an option.
On Intel HD 4400 LAV uses dxva2cp direct with Sintel_4k_27qp_24fps_1aud_9subs.mkv 4k-video.
QS does not support this(yet?)

DXVAChecker x64 benchmark on the same file shows 40 fps while using 26% of each of CPU kernels on Core i5-4200U.
mastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2015, 21:37   #18774  |  Link
jmone

Quote:
https://github.com/foo86/dcadec

This project has really clean code, and he was very responsive to an issue I reported. It may not be 100% perfect yet, but its in a much better state than the libav decoder in any case, and the developer is still actively working.
This is great news and the feature list already looks pretty spot on! Do you know if it will be multi thread safe? eg in MC if you used the convert Video -> Audio feature with the dtsdecoderdll.dll you had to use only one conversion at a time or else odd things happened.

Thanks
Nathan
jmone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2015, 05:18   #18775  |  Link
Arm3nian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liandri View Post

I don't know what model of headphones you have, but the "5.1" is most certainly marketing BS. Does your headphone actually have 6 drivers? Doubt it, it most likely has 2. The reason 2.1 is not an option in lav, or pretty much anything is because there is no 2.1 content. There are however 2.1 systems, which include a left and right speaker, the low frequency content is automatically fed to the subwoofer based on the default or specified crossover frequency. The reason the volume is lower when you select 5.1 is because the extra channels are lost.

The '.1' is the dedicated channel for the subwoofer, but you don't have a subwoofer, so what you're asking for doesn't really make sense. As mentioned, moving the LFE slider up is what you're looking for. It mixes the low frequency content from the subwoofer channel instead of throwing it away. I can hear a little difference, using HD650s and an o2odac, I'm not sure how your setup compares to my headphones, the HD650 is known to have good bass reproduction. Another reason why you might not be hearing a difference is because the content you are watching might not actually contain a lot of LFE content. It really is only noticeable on very low frequencies, even on my surround sound system. The bars in the status tab only show what is being played, so if you have stereo selected only the left and right bars are going to show activity. If you leave it on 5.1/7.1 you will see the LFE bar move, and will also see how infrequent and low amplitude it is.Careful what you set the slider to however, headphones can reproduce the low frequency sounds, but are really bad at doing anything else at the same time. You need a dedicated subwoofer for that. I have my settings set to down mix to stereo and the LFE slider set to 1.58. Experiment as settings vary with different equipment.

Last edited by Arm3nian; 23rd March 2015 at 05:24.
Arm3nian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2015, 11:00   #18776  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arm3nian View Post
I don't know what model of headphones you have, but the "5.1" is most certainly marketing BS. Does your headphone actually have 6 drivers? Doubt it, it most likely has 2. The reason 2.1 is not an option in lav, or pretty much anything is because there is no 2.1 content. There are however 2.1 systems, which include a left and right speaker, the low frequency content is automatically fed to the subwoofer based on the default or specified crossover frequency. The reason the volume is lower when you select 5.1 is because the extra channels are lost.

The '.1' is the dedicated channel for the subwoofer, but you don't have a subwoofer, so what you're asking for doesn't really make sense. As mentioned, moving the LFE slider up is what you're looking for. It mixes the low frequency content from the subwoofer channel instead of throwing it away. I can hear a little difference, using HD650s and an o2odac, I'm not sure how your setup compares to my headphones, the HD650 is known to have good bass reproduction. Another reason why you might not be hearing a difference is because the content you are watching might not actually contain a lot of LFE content. It really is only noticeable on very low frequencies, even on my surround sound system. The bars in the status tab only show what is being played, so if you have stereo selected only the left and right bars are going to show activity. If you leave it on 5.1/7.1 you will see the LFE bar move, and will also see how infrequent and low amplitude it is.Careful what you set the slider to however, headphones can reproduce the low frequency sounds, but are really bad at doing anything else at the same time. You need a dedicated subwoofer for that. I have my settings set to down mix to stereo and the LFE slider set to 1.58. Experiment as settings vary with different equipment.
a LFE crossover is defiantly not a bad idea. i recommend to add this with the panned addition of up mixing. https://code.google.com/p/lavfilters...ary%20Modified

and there are a lot of headphones with multiply driver and even a driver for LFE. here an example picture: http://www.tacticalsites.com/~squint...enearphone.jpg 4 is the LFE.
these system have a huge problem with bass reproduction when a source is played that's isn't using a LFE channel so a LFE crossover for stereo is a must have for these.

a lot of smaller 5.1 or 7.1 system work the same way and get into the same problem without a LFE channel when they are used analog.
Old 23rd March 2015, 11:05   #18777  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Its far more likely that I will decide not to add any kind of upmixing, rather than also consider adding a cross over. You should find someone that builds you a new audio processing filter, LAV isn't the place where this is really going to happen.
Old 23rd March 2015, 11:20   #18778  |  Link
Liandri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arm3nian View Post

I have Somic E-95 v2010. Marketing or not, it has more than 2 speakers. I can easily feel 5.1 sound if the source has it. And it has a subwoofer, I've checked it and it works - disabled all channels except LFE and I could hear what I usually hear from my sub from Defender Blaze 60 (2.1) system, plus vibration. So my headphones have .1 channel, and if they do not, I still have a working 2.1 system right here. Extra channels are not lost, otherwise I'd not hear something in 5.1 content, but I can hear everything in 2.0, 2.1 and 5.1 modes. I just don't feel like using 5.1. (and please don't suggest that it's broken)

I can clearly hear the difference. I've checked with the same content. Even for stereo-only content, when KMP Audio is set to 2.1 - LFE channel works (as for how it works, I'm not sure - it probably gets added by mixing both channels) and I can feel bass with vibration, with 2.0 - not. With LAV Audio I can only feel that in 5.1 and above.

As I already mentioned, moving LFE slider did not do anything when Stereo mode was active. If you are suggesting to use 5.1 mode, I can only repeat that I prefer using 2.0/2.1 over 5.1 right now.

LFE in both my 2.1 system and 5.1 headphones can work with both Stereo and 5.1 content. Even if you say there is no 2.1 content, I don't see why there shouldn't be such an option.

Quote:
Its far more likely that I will decide not to add any kind of upmixing, rather than also consider adding a cross over. You should find someone that builds you a new audio processing filter, LAV isn't the place where this is really going to happen.
That's too bad. Thanks for the honest answer.

Last edited by Liandri; 23rd March 2015 at 11:27.
Old 23rd March 2015, 11:45   #18779  |  Link
Virtual_ManPL
Virtual_ManPL

@ nevcairiel - CUDA 7 was released some days ago.
Will it have any reasons like performance, stability or others ones to update it in LAV Video Decoder for NVIDIA CUVID hardware acceleration decoder mode?
I remember that CUDA 4.0 was used in LAV CUVID Decoder which was next merged into LAV Video Decoder.

On the other hand will The Boost C++ Libraries or similar ones help in performance in LAV Filters, MPC-HC or even madVR?
Virtual_ManPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2015, 11:47   #18780  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

LAV doesn't use CUDA, it only uses the video decoder, which is always the same performance.

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter