Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Decrypting

Old 19th October 2007, 20:49   #1  |  Link
Dew

Resident Evil 2002 (First movie)

First I am not referring to the Apocalypse (2004) the subsequent sequel to the one I am trying to backup. I mention this as I have googled and found that was a problematic movie.

I purchased 2 copies of the First Movie for my teens for their Halloween party and went to back them up and neither would. There is interest in this movie now as there is a new release coming out soon or it maybe out now. I believe years past that this was a Play station game??? I am not sure but it seems to me that I heard something about that.

I should say first that I just noticed that these copies were made for playing in Latin America. I purchased one movie here in Western Canada and the second on a work assignment in the East.
I don't know if this is what the problem is, I just noted this as I played it in my BenQ burner and on our Toshiba dvd player. This applies to both of the movies I purchased in spite of the fact that they were bought at opposite ends of the country!!
Thought that I would mention it.

First I tried to rip with Any Dvd Ripper and there was an error at 75%.

Then I tried the combo of Any DVD and Clone DVD and got the error "cyclical redundancy"...these are brand new dvd's with no smudges, dust etc.

Then I tried the old DVD Decrypter...just on the off chance that it might pull through..I checked off the box "ignore read errors" and read set for "0" and "write errors" 4 and checked off ignore read errors as well.
This all resulted in i/O Error unrecieved read error.

Then with Shrink I tried with checks on "no deep analysis" and "no quality settings" but it stopped short of completion as well

I tried on the better half's notebook as well using her Sony Burner and I should say that the Firmware is uptodate for mY BenQ and her Sony Burner.
I used the latest DVDfabDecrypter and got to within 2 minutes of completion and the message about the "Pathplayer" being available for an issue that maybe on this disc, and a question " did I want to try it " and I clicked on OK and the process started all over again only to grind to a halt again. I should say that one odd thing occurred when I was using this program and that was before it went into the Pathplayer it flashed the Movie onto the Screen and gave the Options...Play,Other DVD's, Website???? I have never seen that happen before. Normally one simply remains in the processing mode???

I simply don't know what is going on here.
I really thought that Any DVD Ripper could handle almost anything and I have the latest version of Any DVD installed and can't get anywhere with this backup.

Does anyone have any ideas about what could help solve this problem and could it be related to the beginning of the movie that indicates it was made for audiences in Latin America???
I don't know a lot of tech backup info and so I thought that I should post here.
I actually have never seen a movie that I have backed up indicate the audience it was produced for....
I really would appreciate any help on this irritating matter, thankyou

Thankyou.

Last edited by Dew; 20th October 2007 at 03:33. Reason: additionj
Dew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2007, 21:40   #2  |  Link
setarip_old

Hi!

What you've described sounds like either damaged DVDs or bad pressings.

As a point of information, according to the "GreenCine" website, that title is currently out of print:

http://www.greencine.com/webCatalog?id=20401

It's possible that the above fact, coupled with what you've stated about "made for audiences in Latin America" may be indicative of "less than legitimately produced" DVDs having been sold to you...
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2007, 01:41   #3  |  Link
Dew

Interesting comment as i bought them from a large national retail dvd sales and rental company.

I just tried ripping again with Any Dvd and it gets to the same Title 4 and stops at 75%. It indicates that the dvd is locked to Regions 1 and 4 and has CSS protection but no RCE protection.

I tried as well on the better half's notebook with her Sony burner ,,,mine is the BenQ 162I which I have had no issues with until this movie.
I used DVD Decrypter and made some setting changes...after reading some threads here and there in the forums.

1. I disabled CSS
2. I disabled structural protection removal
3. And under I/O changed to Use Elby...

In spite of that I still got an error message>

Reason: Failed to Send Challenge Key????

I don't understand that and after just using my BenQ with Any Dvd I guess I shouldn't have disabled the CSS??? Maybe I will go back and change that and try again
I have spent my whole day off here googling and posting and I can't seem to get anywhere.

I thought that I would post this as it may help to resolve the problem if it is possible.

The dvd is 2 layers and so I would have to use Shrink which simply will not read it even though the Burner does and I can see the files go into Nero however then everything grinds to a halt with cyclical redundency check???

I just don't get what is happening here???
It is an older dvd and so I really thought that Any dvd Ripper would do the job.
I hope someone has some ideas otherwise I guess the disc will get really messed up on Halloween here with sticky fingers!! Most of the teens respect the dvd's, but all it needs is ...One that doesn't.

I meant to mention as well that one of the languages in this movie apart from French is Portugese??? I read your Link and it mentions French and English and it is a Columbia Picture as is stated there, but I am wondering about this other language in there??
It was a large chain rental/retailer that I bought them both from, one here in the west and one in the east.
It used to be one of those Play Staion games from what I recall of the kids talking about it and there is now a new release coming out. I never knew what it was about until you kindly provided a well documented link. The ones that I had googled didn't say that much.

Last edited by Dew; 20th October 2007 at 02:07. Reason: additional info
Old 20th October 2007, 01:56   #4  |  Link
setarip_old

Quote:
It is an older dvd and so I really thought that Any dvd Ripper would do the job.
It (presumably a fairly current version) certainly should - as should RipIt4Me, DVDFab HD Decrypter, DVD95Copy, and virtually any other similar program.

As I said before, what you've described sounds like either damaged DVDs or bad pressings.

BTW - Have you contacted the two places of purchase to inquire why DVDs sold in Canada indicate that they are for "viewing in Latin America"?
Old 20th October 2007, 06:52   #5  |  Link
Dew

No I haven't, I actually will go into the store possibly tomorrow or Monday and talk to the assistant manager whom I know fairly well as it strikes me as being odd, and needless to say I really wonder why I paid the price that I did for these 2 dvds and I can't even do a backup and I certainly have left no stone unturned here.

I wonder how many people take note of what the introduction actually says on their dvds. I would be the first to say that I don't, I usually read the paper or do something else before the movie starts.
Now I am wondering what other saleable movies this store offers may come from non North American sources and why???

I have never noticed this before, but when I think about it this is the first time I have purchased dvd's from this outlet, usually anything that I want in my collection I have to special order from a store that I have been ordering through since the video era. These were what the teens call as fright night for Halloween and I really know nothing about the series except that it may have earlier been a play station game???????????
BTW, I should say that the Any DVD that I used was the current version and so that is why I was very surprised that the Ripper did not work on this movie as I described I think the error messages that I got in attempts with different programs throughout the day. I don't usually give up on a challenge, but something strikes me as not being quite right here!!! To say the least.
I appreciate this discussion and would really like to be able to say that I found a work around for this situation, however I don't think that is a reasonable assumption.
Best Regards,

Last edited by Dew; 20th October 2007 at 08:06.
Old 20th October 2007, 07:03   #6  |  Link
setarip_old

Quote:
I meant to mention as well that one of the languages in this movie apart from French is Portugese???
The language of Brazil...
Old 20th October 2007, 15:15   #7  |  Link
SamuriHL

You should really scan the original with Nero CD/DVD Speed and have it scan for errors. If any are found, it's a bad disc that needs to be exchanged. I agree with setarip_old that this definitely has the look and feel of a bad press. Remember, just because a disc can be played does not mean that it's not a flawed disc. Nero CD/DVD Speed will help you determine that.
SamuriHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007, 01:59   #8  |  Link
Dew

I did scan the disc and it indicated that the surface was 99.6% good, 0 % damaged, .3% bad.
The bad sectors show up at the percentage point where it stops in the attempt to read the disc???
or if there simply is a small percent exising as bad that is enough to mean it is no possible to back it up??

I actually have never done a test like this before and so I don't know if that percentage is sufficient to cause me this problem???
Thankyou.

Last edited by Dew; 22nd October 2007 at 02:28.
Old 22nd October 2007, 02:01   #9  |  Link
SamuriHL

Yup, so it would seem. That indicates that the disc is bad. You should exchange it if possible.
Old 22nd October 2007, 09:27   #10  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

Wasn't this disk an early incarnation of advanced protection?

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=88100

Or is this a different RE?

Regards

Only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media.
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007, 13:29   #11  |  Link
SamuriHL

If I remember right, blutach, it was the very first known disc to contain the much loved ARccOS protection. Nonetheless, DVDFab, AnyDVD, and R4M should all quite easily handle this disc. He should not get the kind of failures he's getting on this disc.
Old 22nd October 2007, 14:59   #12  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

And if it does contain advanced protection, it will have unreadable sectors. Therefore, a Ner0 CD Speed test showing such sectors does not prove the disk is bad.

Regards

Old 22nd October 2007, 15:23   #13  |  Link
setarip_old

@Dew

Have you as yet tried decrypting the DVD using any of the following?:

RipIt4Me, DVDFab HD Decrypter, DVD95Copy
Old 23rd October 2007, 07:50   #14  |  Link
Dew

I did try Dvd Fab Hd Decrypter and it had the same problem, however I am not familiar with the other programs. Could this small percentage of bad sectors not really mean that the disc is bad and that it is something else then?
My programs are all uptodate.
I should say that I did notice when I was googling for any help that the second movie...Resident Evil Apocalypse had back up problems and that movie was brought out 2 years after this original movie release.
I did not think that there would be any issue with this movie as it is old, but the movie does say at the beginning that it was made for a non-North American audience???
Old 23rd October 2007, 13:12   #15  |  Link
SamuriHL

I still hold to my opinion that it's a bad disc that needs to be replaced. Like I said before, AnyDVD, DVDFab HD Decrypter, etc...none of them should have any problem whatsoever with this disc.
Old 23rd October 2007, 23:23   #16  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

If RE Apocalypse was the first one with advanced protection and this predates that, then you're right SamuriHL. Try an exchange Dew.

Regards

Old 24th October 2007, 17:24   #17  |  Link
Dew

Thx for the advice, I did take back the DVD's got 2 replacements, luckily since one was bought in the east but the same retail/rental chain.

Got those 2 home and did a nero scan on them before I tried them out and they had the same area of bad sectors and as well were made for non-North American audience.

I told the teens to find an outlet that rents the movie and that I was taking these back for a refund as I don't like to spend money on movies that I can't backup.

It still puzzles me that Dvd Fab HD Decrypter and Any DVD Ripper would not function with these???
But as I said with the second movie the Resident Evil Apocalypse (2204) there were problems with backups and that it took a lengthy method to get one done, i just thought that whatever was causing that issue would have been updated in these programs that I was using.

I gave 1 of the copies to the office software tech to try to backup and he couldn't, so I simply have decided that I am not going to waste more time and the money.
Old 24th October 2007, 18:07   #18  |  Link
SamuriHL

Very strange. I have both of those movies, region 1, and had no problem backing up either of them with AnyDVD. I'm honestly not sure what to tell you on that one. Could be than an entire batch of them were flawed from the factory.
Old 24th October 2007, 23:25   #19  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

Quote:
Could be than an entire batch of them were flawed from the factory.
That's a possibility.

Regards

Old 25th October 2007, 03:14   #20  |  Link
setarip_old

Quote:
were made for non-North American audience.
Did the retailer offer an explanation?