Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 ASP

Old 28th February 2007, 01:19   #1  |  Link
GroBeMaus

Convert DVD 2 DivxHD??

Should I convert my DVD's into Divx HD files or just go with the Home Theater profile? The files will only be played on an HTPC connected to a 1080 HDTV. And I don't want to use hardware upscaling if at all possible.

I would like some opinions on getting the best looking divx file on this setup. Would the resulting divxHD file look better? Thanks in advance.
GroBeMaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2007, 02:21   #2  |  Link
jggimi
Moderator Emeritus

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

As you likely know, DVDs have fixed resolution: 720x480 NTSC, 720x576 PAL. Yes, there are smaller sizes in the standard, but commercial DVDs will use this largest size.

Upscaling resolution, via hardware or via software, will likely not improve the image quality. If you look at resizing methods ... there's no section in any algorithm I know of that says, "add detail where none now exists. "

That doesn't necessarily mean you won't *perceive* improved quality, just that it won't actually be there. And you may want to perceive it, if you consider all the time and computing resource it will take to "make an HD video" out of standard DVD content.
jggimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2007, 02:28   #3  |  Link
GroBeMaus

Thanks. I know about the 720x480 resolution, my goal was more along these lines. My bud has a 1080 HDTV screen, and 720p material has black borders on the sides 1080 stuff does not.

I was trying to avoid that, but not have a funny looking video.
Old 1st March 2007, 05:07   #4  |  Link
DewAsmara

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroBeMaus View Post
Thanks. I know about the 720x480 resolution, my goal was more along these lines. My bud has a 1080 HDTV screen, and 720p material has black borders on the sides 1080 stuff does not.

I was trying to avoid that, but not have a funny looking video.
Hi There,
There is no magic formula in result improving film details. But I have been tested some DVD that rip into 720p DivX HD using DivX Converter 6.2xx and believe me some picture result bad, and some pretty much improved. But in actual it will result the same. Like in the Sin City that in actual recorded using HD Camera (en.wikipedia.org) when you convert into DivX HD it will show some improvement in details. But bad recording technology like some budget movie doesn't show improvement and makes more jaggies when play in my 32 inch LCD HDTV. Funny things is when I convert remastered THX Indiana Jones series into DivX HD, it show much improvement in details, especially on session when Indy father look into his son when he safe from falling tank, his father face behind glasses looks like in reality and very sharp detail.
DewAsmara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2007, 17:34   #5  |  Link
GroBeMaus

So would it be better to rely on a hardware upscaler then? Encode them to divx at the same resolution then use an upscaler to show them at 1080p?
Old 5th March 2007, 04:32   #6  |  Link
DewAsmara

Quote:
So would it be better to rely on a hardware upscaler then? Encode them to divx at the same resolution then use an upscaler to show them at 1080p?
Yes, just set bitrate in DivX converter at 4000-6000 (normally if use DivX Converter 6.2 and use DivX Hi Def certified you can set at 6000 but just set resolution at normal 720x480) so if using DVD/DivX player with HDMI upscaler the picture will upscale without any problem because enough bitrate. I have been tested it and pretty damn good picture looks like using orginal DVD. But if you watch DivX movie from your computer directly connect to your TV using VGA/DVI-HDMI cable you can use 1280x720 resolution anyway the result is not different with their DVD upscaler fellow. But remember not many DVD DivX player with HDMI upscaler can support DivX movie at 4000 up bitrate. Only small of them can.
DewAsmara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2007, 01:32   #7  |  Link
GroBeMaus

I plan on using a network media player to play these files. Maybe one of these: http://www.neodigits.com/new/body/pr...line/x5000.asp
Old 2nd April 2007, 19:37   #8  |  Link
delacroixp
Emperor building empire

@GroBeMaus

Quote:
Yes

A bit late by now but...

Try Dr DivX 2.0.0 Final OSS
along with the DivX 6.4 Codec (the latest versions are incompatible) and try "constant quality 1-pass" with quantizer set to Q3 ...

You'll love the results...

Pascal
Old 4th April 2007, 23:41   #9  |  Link
GroBeMaus

Thanks, I will try it out.
Old 27th April 2007, 15:56   #10  |  Link
delacroixp
Emperor building empire

@GroBeMaus

Quote:
Should I convert my DVD's into Divx HD files or just go with the Home Theater profile? The files will only be played on an HTPC connected to a 1080 HDTV. And I don't want to use hardware upscaling if at all possible.
I've been doing anamorphic encodes in H264 (AutoMKV) along with the MKV container but I find that up-scalling still gives the best results (quallity wise)...
A 18-CQ-CRF 1024x576 version of a (720x576 PAL 16:9) movie looks better than a 720x576 anamorphic version...

In DivX this relates to HD using the Q3 'constant quality' profile.

Pascal