Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th April 2018, 20:24   #21  |  Link
johnmeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
Only fields are repeated, not whole frames.
Yes, this is a very common misconception. It is so common that I've actually seen video where people who don't know any better have done this (repeated frames instead of fields). While you get some judder artifacts when you do telecine correctly, if you instead repeat frames, that judder becomes massively worse because the intentional temporal glitches are done half as often, and across the entire frame.

Repeating fields is actually extraordinarily clever and, in the old CRT-based, continuous scanning system, looked amazingly good. 99.99% of the population never thought twice about how film looked when shown on television.

Last edited by johnmeyer; 30th April 2018 at 20:26. Reason: corrected minor mistake, just after posting
johnmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2018, 03:10   #22  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Boundary View Post
EDIT: here, hav sum Gargoyles! https://www.sendspace.com/file/rhkoto

MOAR EDITZ: here, hav sum Robocop! https://www.sendspace.com/file/99v0xp
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see a reason for anything but standard IVTC of the Gargoyles sample. You just need to set a low de-interlacing threshold for TFM so it catches what looks like combing during fade-outs/fade-ins.
I'm not sure it is combing as such though. Anyone know what causes that? Is it a chroma subsampling issue when blending interlaced video?
There's lots of dot crawl, which seems to be baked in, and a fair amount of rainbowing, but that's another story.

I could be wrong, but the Lions Gate promo at the beginning of RoboCop looks like interlaced content resized, similar to the Babylon 5 CGI. If everything following it is progressive, this would be an easy way to fix it.

TFM().TDecimate()
Trim(205, 0)
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2018, 22:36   #23  |  Link
manono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Boundary View Post
Telecine is when 24 fps content is slowed down to 23.976 fps, and then either every fourth frame or every fourth field is doubled to bring the frame rate up to 29.97 fps
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
Only fields are repeated, not whole frames.
Well, I have seen retail DVDs where every fourth frame is repeated (12344). But that's not telecine. True telecine is, as you mentioned, when fields are repeated. Does it depend on the definition of "telecine"? Is it telecine when frames are repeated? Is it telecine when a film source is field-blended to 29.97fps? Is it telecine when a 25fps PAL source is field-blended to 29.97fps? I say no.

Is it telecine when a 20fps silent film is hard or soft telecined to 29.97fps? Is it telecine when a 25fps PAL source is hard or soft telecined to 29.97fps? I say yes. The Wikipedia seems to agree.
manono is offline   Reply With Quote