Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 31st March 2010, 02:59   #12341  |  Link
mariush

It was always checked and still is.

I can't reproduce the issue now as I switched the monitors in the correct order (primary lcd in first dvi and so on) and I'm not keen on experimenting again (the ati driver still does blue screens when I mess with it and forget to uninstall the driver before changing slots)
Old 31st March 2010, 22:08   #12342  |  Link
Superb

Guys... like I wrote ar-jar (wonderful guy) using PMs:
Nvidia Forceware 197.13 recently became WHQL drivers and are recommended by Nvidia to all its users.
Both "Custom EVR" and "EVR Sync" have stuttering issues (reported here in this thread) w/ this version of the driver.
I believe this should be fixed ASAP, as more and more users experience the issue in the tech support forum I'm helping at.
Old 31st March 2010, 23:21   #12343  |  Link
tetsuo55
MPC-HC Project Manager

Have these users also complained to nvidia?
They desperately need to fix this bug in their driver
Old 31st March 2010, 23:28   #12344  |  Link
Superb

Some did. The thing is... nobody's sure if it's a driver issue or a MPC-HC issue.
The fact remains, both these renderers did work w/ previous driver versions... but that still doesn't necessarily makes it a driver issue.
Looking the the Stats graph, one can clearly see MPC-HC is having difficulty timing the frames (see here; look how the red lines are jumping above the green ones).
Regular (system-provided) EVR works fine, of course.

EDIT: btw, I'm pretty sure that ar-jar would find the cause pretty quickly (as this issue can easily be reproduced)... If anyone knows the EVR frame timing code- it's him. We can only hope he finds the free time to debug this issue.

Last edited by Superb; 31st March 2010 at 23:34.
Old 1st April 2010, 00:18   #12345  |  Link
edigee

None of these issues neither with my old ATI HD3650(Vista) or the even older Hd2600XT(XP) from my son's computer. So it's definitely not a MPC-HC problem. On Guru 3d some guys reported strange behaviour for NVIDIA cards ,with the latest drivers ,on other players too(ex KMPlayer)
Old 1st April 2010, 00:52   #12346  |  Link
rica

Guys,
sorry,
but so as to make sure, why not making some trials with other filters on Graph stuff?
Old 1st April 2010, 01:45   #12347  |  Link
73ChargerFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superb View Post
Looking the the Stats graph, one can clearly see MPC-HC is having difficulty timing the frames (see here; look how the red lines are jumping above the green ones).
Ugly, and your "new doesn't work" stats show it is dropping 55% of the frames.

I think it's time I disable Windows Update on my HTPC again. !!!
Old 1st April 2010, 09:36   #12348  |  Link
tetsuo55
MPC-HC Project Manager

Quote:
Some did. The thing is... nobody's sure if it's a driver issue or a MPC-HC issue.
The fact remains, both these renderers did work w/ previous driver versions... but that still doesn't necessarily makes it a driver issue.

EDIT: btw, I'm pretty sure that ar-jar would find the cause pretty quickly (as this issue can easily be reproduced)... If anyone knows the EVR frame timing code- it's him. We can only hope he finds the free time to debug this issue.
We know for sure its NVidia's fault because:
It doesnt happen on: Intel, S3, broadcom, ATI and Nvidia cards with older drivers.

Even so, i agree that its interesting too look at, as it might reveal an edge case in our or microsofts code.

Last edited by tetsuo55; 1st April 2010 at 09:39.
Old 1st April 2010, 21:01   #12349  |  Link
hoborg

Hi.
Looks like there is problem in MPC-HC avi splitter, this sample run in slow motion.
Working fine when using system default AVI splitter or haali.

How to start with Bitcoin
Old 1st April 2010, 22:39   #12350  |  Link
Khaaan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoborg View Post
Hi.
Looks like there is problem in MPC-HC avi splitter, this sample run in slow motion.
Working fine when using system default AVI splitter or haali.
It's the MJPEG filter which MPC has always had problems with - your video uses the MJPEG codec and has the same issues my camera videos did so I installed FFDSHOW and enabled only the MJPEG decoder and now the video is smooth as normal in MPC.
Old 2nd April 2010, 07:03   #12351  |  Link
hoborg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaaan! View Post
It's the MJPEG filter which MPC has always had problems with - your video uses the MJPEG codec and has the same issues my camera videos did so I installed FFDSHOW and enabled only the MJPEG decoder and now the video is smooth as normal in MPC.
Of course i am using FFDshow. Simply system default/haali splitter + ffdshow - no problem, MPC-HC AVI splitter + ffdshow - slow motion.

How to start with Bitcoin
Old 2nd April 2010, 10:51   #12352  |  Link
decapitado

Quote:
Guys... like I wrote ar-jar (wonderful guy) using PMs:
Nvidia Forceware 197.13 recently became WHQL drivers and are recommended by Nvidia to all its users.
Both "Custom EVR" and "EVR Sync" have stuttering issues (reported here in this thread) w/ this version of the driver.
I believe this should be fixed ASAP, as more and more users experience the issue in the tech support forum I'm helping at.
In what type of files does that happen?
I have no stuttering or whatsoever with the newest drivers playing x264 files in a nvidia gt240 with evr sync.
Old 2nd April 2010, 10:56   #12353  |  Link
Superb

AVIs and MKVs. Xvid and x264. SD and HD. Happens on seeking sometimes (not that hard to reproduce).
Many people reported it (here in this thread, on the Nvidia forums, on the tech support forum I surf at).
Old 2nd April 2010, 11:14   #12354  |  Link
Khaaan!

It only happened for me on files that were not using DXVA (so AVI files, MPG etc). I only noticed it recently as I only play HD files or movs via DXVA!

Dropping back to 196.21 has solved it though so that's a good thing I guess.
Old 2nd April 2010, 13:05   #12355  |  Link
decapitado

Quote:
AVIs and MKVs. Xvid and x264. SD and HD. Happens on seeking sometimes (not that hard to reproduce).
Many people reported it (here in this thread, on the Nvidia forums, on the tech support forum I surf at).
Mine works fine with mkv and dxva.
Are you using the auto-resolution changer in MPC?
Old 2nd April 2010, 13:10   #12356  |  Link
ar-jar

Quote:

I'll look at it over the long weekend. Unfortunately my development environment is still on the wonderfully well functioning XP platform so debugging might take some time.
Old 2nd April 2010, 13:41   #12357  |  Link
ar-jar

Quote:
The graph looks pretty nasty in my set-up too but I don't see any actual judder. The question is if this is an issue with the measurement or with the actual rendering. The graph moves smoothly from left to right here. Do you also skips or duplicated frames, i.e. uneven motion of the graph or of pans? -A

Edit: I restarted the computer having installed the new driver and after that everything worked great again (fortunately or unfortunately). I have not used the W7 computer a lot so I just now realized how well the windowed mode full-screen actually works. I have no tearing even with 5 ms sync offset, bicubic interpolation and a couple of shaders active. This seems too good to be true so I need to run a few more tests but right now (by luck or by design) it looks quite promising. My hardware is a four-core Intel CPU with a GeForce 7600 board (I stick to it because it is compatible with PowerStrip). The TV uses a 720p/50Hz resolution.

Anyway, this does not bode well for finding your problem unfortunately. I'll try to tweak resolutions, refresh rates etc to see if I can reproduce the failure.

Last edited by ar-jar; 2nd April 2010 at 21:08.
Old 3rd April 2010, 01:47   #12358  |  Link
thejulianath20

5.1 audio wont play on TV with stereo setup

I can't play all my movies that have 5.1 sound through my TV that is stereo sound. Why? The same movies play fine with my other setup that is connected through a surround sound receiver. The file types are all kinds (avi, mkv, mp4 etc.)
Old 3rd April 2010, 02:57   #12359  |  Link
Superb

My system:
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750. 2GB DDR2-800Mhz.
Windows 7 Ultimate 32bits (all updates installed). Aero is on.
GeForce 8800GT. Forceware 197.13 WHQL.
24" LCD screen working at 60Hz. Resolution is 1920x1080.
Latest DirectX runtime installed.
MPC-HC 1.3.1774.0 (from XvidVideo.ru).

Settings changed in MPC-HC (all others are default):
- Resizer being Bicubic A=-0.75 (PS 2.0). I'm using EVR CP.
- All internal filters are off. I use Haali for MKVs, ffdshow for audio decoding, Win7's filters for H.264 (w/ DXVA), Xvid, and MPEG-2.
- Audio switcher is off.
- Subtitles max texture resolution is set to "Desktop".

I'm not sure if the issue is reproducible on XP. Might be a Win7-only issue.
I'm currently trying the identify any specific content (maybe fps?) that causes this issue to rise. Will post more info later.

EDIT: Alright, I've sent ar-jar a small (8MB) xvid-avi-25fps that causes this issue to happen when seeking the file (using EVR Sync w/ default settings).

Last edited by Superb; 3rd April 2010 at 03:16.
Old 3rd April 2010, 13:33   #12360  |  Link
ar-jar

Quote:

EDIT: Alright, I've sent ar-jar a small (8MB) xvid-avi-25fps that causes this issue to happen when seeking the file (using EVR Sync w/ default settings).
I got your file thanks and I'm still investigating. I don't yet have all the external factors under control. Seems e.g. that when I change from 50Hz to 60Hz, Aero is turned off in my configuration. Also W7 recognizes fewer resolutions in my pj than did my old XP HTPC. My take on this is that the W7 drivers are not quite mature yet.

A question in the mean time: do you get the same behavior when running in a window that is substantially smaller than the desktop (but large enough to see the graph)? -A
Closed Thread

Tags
dxva, h264, home cinema, media player classic, mpc-hc