Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation

Old 27th July 2004, 13:18   #61  |  Link
dragongodz

just curious what ideas that were suggested on the dvdshrink forum are actually used.

i can see the higher requant to higher original quants has been for example and error propigation reduction for P frames. the settings dont exactly say though what was found useful and what wasnt.
dragongodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2004, 16:59   #62  |  Link
TheSeeker
Master of Chaos

Am I just seeing things or does shrink tend to output a slightly grainy picture? It may just be that I was compressing by 30% though. Most likely thats it. Would the smooth or max smooth option be better for longer movies that require more compression?
Old 27th July 2004, 17:04   #63  |  Link
nwg

I have done ROTK (PAL) with Shrink 3.2 and got much better results than with DVD Rebuilder and CCE or other transcoders (DVD2One, CloneDVD and Rejig). I used the default sharp setting and compressed the film down to 58%.

I have also done Once Upon a Time in Mexico (PAL) with the film at 88% and the extras at 45% and the same quality setting. The picture looks excellent for both the film and extras.
nwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2004, 17:44   #64  |  Link
TheSeeker
Master of Chaos

So sharp default setting seems to be good in pretty much any situation? I wonder if smooth would be good for anime? Cause i know that the mosquito noise can really become apparent right in the middle of those flat color areas if you compress too much.
Old 27th July 2004, 19:49   #65  |  Link
geffroman

It's really hard to compare SHRINK and ReBuilder unless you are going to include the number of passes and settings you use with CCE... and what version of CCE...
geffroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2004, 20:44   #66  |  Link
motster

Does Shrink have an easy way to tell which title is WS vs FS on a disc? Sometimes doing Re-Author it's not always easy to tell (especially on my machine where i use Remote Desktop and can never preview titles )
motster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2004, 21:53   #67  |  Link
KYUSS

Quote:
Originally posted by Mephiston
So far all i can say is WOW!

If DVDShrink gets any better i will not even both with CCE for movies under 2 Hours anymore, and if Shrink goes retail, i would be willing to buy a copy now.

Great Work!
what more could be added for retail release?

maybe its own burning module?

Fantatsic proggy

cheers
KYUSS
KYUSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2004, 01:08   #68  |  Link
Gang$ta

This new Ver.3.2 is amazing..
Just did a movie,165 mins using D/A & AOC (default}

Fcnkin Awesome...

A big THX to Mr DVDShrink
Gang$ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2004, 01:35   #69  |  Link
bugsy_pal

I am relatively new to DVD burning, but DVD Shrink has been my most used tool. With 3.1.7 I had made a copy of "The Third Man" - the compression level was something around 50-55%, from memory, and there were lots of artefacts and smearing between frames. The new version with AEC does appear to have reduced these effects.

Just a query - do black and white movies present more problems than colour? I backed up Big Fish using the new setting (sharp), and the result was outstanding, but The Third Man just seems to be a really difficult one to get looking clean, unless the compression factor is 80% or higher. Admittedly, there is a lot of detail in the B&W picture, but I would have thought that that would also be the case with a colour flick like Big Fish.
bugsy_pal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2004, 02:15   #70  |  Link
Joergen

Again more testing, and to give an easy-reading comparison:

DVD The Gladiator R2

-DVDShrink 3.1.7: without the commentary track (just the 5.1 track) the ratio is 72%, and the results very blocky in scenes like the opening battle in germania = hopeless.

-DVDShrink 3.2 = WITH commentary and 5.1 track the ratio is 69% and at default sharpness the quality is excellent in all scenes.

NOTE: Interestingly switching on the "maximum smoothness" setting that forces the newfangled encoder on every frame makes the quality far worse. The maximum smoothness reminds me of IC7 quality (or as I like to call it, lumpy block porridge -quality).
Old 28th July 2004, 02:29   #71  |  Link
dvdshrink

Quote:
Just a query - do black and white movies present more problems than colour?
Color usually accounts for 1/3 of the compressable data in a movie, but it's quite possible that DVD Shrink would gain more compression than that from the color components, perhaps up to 1/2. If there is no color data, the rest will undoubtably suffer more.
dvdshrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2004, 03:29   #72  |  Link
vaylon

Thanks shrink!!!!

Just tried 3.2 and loved it.
I have dvd2one and ic8and7. Neither compare for both quality or speed.

have shrunk several disc for comparison against 3.1 and quality is much better(although 3.1 was great). On full disc backups like lotr-rotk the quality is very noted. But what surprized me was the reauthoring movie only quality.

On 3.1 overall quality was excellent with no compression artifacts at all.Except in dark areas it looked a little washed and grey.

on 3.2 overall quality was excellent with no compression artifacts at all. dark areas were much more true to the originals ,didn't get the wash look. Colors also stayed more vibrant than the earlier version.

another note is about cpu usage- 3.1 hardly used any cpu cycles at all( the most I ever saw it use my xp2800 was maybe 10%)and that was rare.
But 3.2 used 33% right on start up and spiked up to 67%. This is not a complaint, it nice to know a program is actually using my chip. But if someone else has a problem with3.2 locking or crashing their system they may want to quit multitasking and cutoff a few programs.

Overall I would have to give this version 5stars *****.
Great job guys.
vaylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2004, 13:45   #73  |  Link
TheSeeker
Master of Chaos

I recently backed up Harry Potter and the Sorcerers stone at compression levels of about %64 percent i think, using max sharpness. I have to say the result was darn near indistinguishable from the original. Maybe I was just tired and seeing things but the result was great. Alot of detail preserved. Still not too sure about what settings work in what situations better but that will come with experience. Anyone who has used the final 3.2 alot have any opinion on this matter?
Old 28th July 2004, 13:56   #74  |  Link
valnar

I'm really interested in the technological advances they made in the transcoder. I know that the old DVD Shrink, DVD95Copy and DVD2One all used something very similar - it's like they read the same white paper on how to do it. Quality was comparable. IC7/8 was ahead of the pack because they did a "deeper" transcoding technique, which also took longer, but made it look nicer.

(Forgive the laymans description, but this is what I've read over the year.)

So my question is what changed at the core in the new DVD Shrink 3.2 to make it better than IC7/8? Is this a brand new development in the transcoding process? Or just an evolutional enhancement?

Inquiring minds want to know.
Robert
valnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2004, 13:58   #75  |  Link
smok3
brontosaurusrex

i was just testing the disk1 of 'blue planet' - lots of water and stuff like that - that did not look very good on original either, compression required was under 60% and with deep ticked and the use of aec the quality remains pretty much the same - most noticeably there is no color bleeding.
edit: powerdvd's interpretation (cropped):
http://somestuff.org/tmp/PDVD_033croped.png
(~215k)
(ok, this is all very subjective, i would have to do a lot more testing to conclude anything...)

Last edited by smok3; 28th July 2004 at 14:10.
smok3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2004, 15:59   #76  |  Link
mb1

Little test update

I stopped comparison tests for now - because too much time consuming (as long as Shrink does not recognize that no double encoding is necessary for this full disc backup).

But I will further investigate into Shrinks behaviour with MProbe analyzing software.
Old 28th July 2004, 17:11   #77  |  Link
mrbass

Quote:
Originally posted by valnar

So my question is what changed at the core in the new DVD Shrink 3.2 to make it better than IC7/8? Is this a brand new development in the transcoding process? Or just an evolutional enhancement?

Inquiring minds want to know.
Robert
@dvdshrink
Can you post partially in your 3.2 beta10 annoucenement describing technically what exactly each option does. You said "not to post it" so I'm not gonna to post it. Can you give just a basic summary of which method is compressing B,I, and P pictures more and/or less like back in the old days with dvdshrink 1.03?
Old 28th July 2004, 17:19   #78  |  Link
TheSeeker
Master of Chaos

Are these findings valid for interlaced material only? Because just did a test with Star Trek First Contact. I went and did a full backup with deep analysis and aec max sharpness, and the output look much much better than I thought it would. The only actual noticeable flaw when playing it back on my comp was that some really extreme details (facial hair, wrinkles, etc.) would go a little smooth or fuzzy but then immediately correct itself. Which is what aec does it compares the frame it just encoded to the original to see if any artifacts are introduced and then corrrects it so artifacts dont propogate. I dont know, but Im highly skeptical that DVD2One could get results as good as this. Those times you quote seem a little high to me although I am running a Athlon64 so that might have something to do with my faster encode times.

EDIT: Sorry my compression rate was 50%. That might be important to know.
Old 28th July 2004, 17:23   #79  |  Link
dvdshrink

Sorry mrbass, I've been passing such questions by. The reason is, I don't wish to discuss in public the technical details of DVD Shrink transcoder implementation.

I'm sure that experts like mb1 (above) will uncover most of the internal workings anyway ;-)

I'd appreciate your understanding.
dvdshrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2004, 17:33   #80  |  Link
dragongodz

Quote:
I don't wish to discuss in public the technical details of DVD Shrink transcoder implementation.
thats fine to some degree but i will quote myself

Quote:
just curious what ideas that were suggested on the dvdshrink forum are actually used.
since you asked for and got suggestions isnt it also then fair to aknowledge what you found useful ? i do not mean the fine detail but the general concept or idea that was posted.
dragongodz is offline   Reply With Quote