Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Old 9th March 2011, 23:47   #13201  |  Link
TheShadowRunner

I already did, tried up to the oldest ffdshow tryout build available on sourceforge, the bug is there.
It has never worked correctly for me.
Old 10th March 2011, 01:17   #13202  |  Link
clsid

It was fixed in 3031/3039. I tested old build 3040 and it is working. Will try newer ones now.

Edit: it was broken again in 3062.
http://ffdshow-tryout.svn.sourceforg...&revision=3062

Edit: reason is discussed here:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...27#post1312127
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...23#post1319023

A proper fix needs to be made that doesn't break resize/auto-crop.

Last edited by clsid; 10th March 2011 at 01:28.
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2011, 01:30   #13203  |  Link
TheShadowRunner

Are you sure? 3040 has the bug here.
Edit: a file showing the bug also on the bottom, maybe useful for testing in the future.

Last edited by TheShadowRunner; 10th March 2011 at 02:08.
TheShadowRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2011, 10:25   #13204  |  Link
tal.aloni

'test' is not recognized as an internal or external command

Hi all,
I'm seeing that clsid modified ffmpeg's makefile in rev. 3733,
the following line was added:
Code:
$(shell test -d $(@) || mkdir -p $(@))
as a result, I'm getting errors when trying to build ffmpeg using cmd.exe and MinGW (TDM), any help would be appreciated.
('test' is not recognized as an internal or external command)

Thanks,
Tal Aloni
tal.aloni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2011, 11:40   #13205  |  Link
mark0077

Hi tal.aloni, clsid

A discussion over on the avs forums has found that ffdshow has been causing crashes when used with avisynth but only since the following ffdshow revision so I assume its this avisynth change that was made in ffdshow. As Set hasn't gotten back to us in a few weeks, I'm wondering what the procedure is for things like this. Should the patch be backed out as according to the guys on the avs forums, it does more harm than good.

Revision 3358 - Directory Listing
Modified Thu Apr 15 08:27:07 2010 UTC (10 months, 1 week ago) by tal_aloni
AviSynth Frame accurate seeking. (patch by SEt and Jeremy Duncan)

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...90#post1479990

Thanks in advance,
Mark
mark0077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2011, 12:31   #13206  |  Link
oddball

Hey guys I am trying to use autoloading profiles to playback some problematic videos in episodic fashion. I am only able to create a profile for each episode right now which is not what I want. I need to have 2 profiles. One for episodes 1 and 15-18 and another for the episodes in between. Any ideas if.how I can do it? I can't seem to get it working with wildcards and there is a limits on the number of characters you can use on the filenames using the ; seperator method. Basically it only lets me enter 2 file names which is no good obviously. I don't want to rename the files to shorter names.
oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2011, 12:55   #13207  |  Link
clsid

Quote:
Originally Posted by tal.aloni View Post
Hi all,
I'm seeing that clsid modified ffmpeg's makefile in rev. 3733,
the following line was added:
Code:
$(shell test -d $(@) || mkdir -p $(@))
as a result, I'm getting errors when trying to build ffmpeg using cmd.exe and MinGW (TDM), any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tal Aloni
I am not having any problems here during building. I also always use the Windows command prompt instead of MSYS.
Perhaps it depends on the version of make.exe? Can anybody else test it as well?
Old 10th March 2011, 13:02   #13208  |  Link
clsid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0077 View Post
Hi tal.aloni, clsid

A discussion over on the avs forums has found that ffdshow has been causing crashes when used with avisynth but only since the following ffdshow revision so I assume its this avisynth change that was made in ffdshow. As Set hasn't gotten back to us in a few weeks, I'm wondering what the procedure is for things like this. Should the patch be backed out as according to the guys on the avs forums, it does more harm than good.

Revision 3358 - Directory Listing
Modified Thu Apr 15 08:27:07 2010 UTC (10 months, 1 week ago) by tal_aloni
AviSynth Frame accurate seeking. (patch by SEt and Jeremy Duncan)

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...90#post1479990

Thanks in advance,
Mark
I don't mind if the patch is reverted if none of the Avisynth experts here can come up with a better fix.
Old 10th March 2011, 14:43   #13209  |  Link
tal.aloni

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
I don't mind if the patch is reverted if none of the Avisynth experts here can come up with a better fix.
same here,
I've notified the author of the patch a few days ago, he didn't reply yet. I'll revert it as soon as I'm able to build properly, I'll try updating mingw, I do have an older version.

Tal
Old 10th March 2011, 15:46   #13210  |  Link
tal.aloni

Updated to MinGW TDM 4.5.1 with Make 3.82.8,
Now I'm getting this error:
Code:
../makefile_c.inc:62: *** missing separator.  Stop.
after replacing the spaces in line 62 with a TAB, I'm getting the previous error.
any clue? which make version are you using that works?
clsid, are you sure there isn't any test.exe?

Thanks,
Tal
Old 10th March 2011, 15:53   #13211  |  Link
mark0077

Quote:
same here,
I've notified the author of the patch a few days ago, he didn't reply yet. I'll revert it as soon as I'm able to build properly, I'll try updating mingw, I do have an older version.

Tal
Fantastic!! This will make alot of avisynth users HTPCs more stable until the patch can be readded without the crashes.
Old 11th March 2011, 18:58   #13212  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

I've been trying to figure out why ffdshow stops displaying subs after a while when used with LAV Splitter, but i have hit a wall. I was using a MKV with embedded VOB subs, and it did seem like every time there was a period of no subs being displayed (no talking), afterwards ffdshow would stop showing them, while the MPC-HC renderer happily continues. With the Gabest MKV Splitter, it works just fine.

What really puzzles me, however, is this: I used a Tee and a Dump filter and wrote the subtitle output of both the Gabest Splitter and of LAV Splitter into a file, including timestamps, flags and everything, and its perfectly identical. Unless ffdshow somehow has special handling when dealing with the Gabest MKV splitter, i don't know what the hell is going on.

I'll probably enhance the Dump filter somewhat to also write down commands like Flush and NewSegment, but i doubt that those are going over the stream mid-playback.

If anyone of you ffdshow guys has some more indeep knowledge of the subtitle code, i would appreciate any insight in the issue, as its really bugging me right now.
Old 11th March 2011, 19:05   #13213  |  Link
mark0077

Guys, I went to play an old space shuttle mpg file I downloaded last year to show someone and found with with ffdshow decoders, I get black / no output. I had to revert back to mpc-hc decoder. I tried with lav splitter and mpc-hc internal one, madVR renderer and evr-cp. If nobody can reproduce I'll try to make a sample if someone is interested in looking.
Old 12th March 2011, 06:25   #13214  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
Excellent, I posted this problem here 2 months ago.

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func...roup_id=173941

It would have been nice to get an update on this sooner as it was easy to reproduce bug and an easy fix, I am looking forward to using new builds that don't crash.

I would like to question the bug submission process as it doesn't appear to be optimal, bugs get submitted, bugs get ignored.

Last edited by ryrynz; 12th March 2011 at 06:35.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2011, 10:37   #13215  |  Link
tal.aloni

ryrynz, I apologize for that, I was responsible for the changes in rev. 3358, however, you have to realize we're all volunteers and we have other pressing matters in life, I became aware of this issue only last week (when mark0077 PMed me), next time, if possible, it would be best to narrow the bug down to a revision, and notify the developer who committed the changes as well.

mark0077, if it's just a single video and not a mpeg-wide issue, it's likely an issue with the video and not with ffdshow.
Old 12th March 2011, 22:36   #13216  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
ryrynz, I apologize for that, I was responsible for the changes in rev. 3358, however, you have to realize we're all volunteers and we have other pressing matters in life, I became aware of this issue only last week (when mark0077 PMed me), next time, if possible, it would be best to narrow the bug down to a revision, and notify the developer who committed the changes as well.
I did narrow down the revision, I thought submitting through that website would have been enough and just waited it out expecting the bug submission process to follow it's course.
This process however seems to me to be somewhat ineffective, relying on the bug submitter to escalate issues rather than an administrator of the bug tracker.
I am aware of the development nature of this project and understand developers time constraints but I believe this is one area where things could certainly be improved.

Last edited by ryrynz; 12th March 2011 at 22:58.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2011, 07:01   #13217  |  Link
dann23

@tal.aloni
last time I remember that you worked on implementing dxva on ffdshow and there were some improvements to make. do you plan to continue that work or we have to wait to get those improvements?
dann23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2011, 10:12   #13218  |  Link
tal.aloni

dann23, while there are indeed several improvements that comes to mind, most of those will only be beneficial to a small subset of users.
for instance, when I tested graphic drivers to find out which supports DXVA hardware alpha blending (for subtiltes), my Radeon 4550 didn't support it at all, and my nVidia geforce 9300 onboard GPU offered very limited support (16 colors only - if I remember correctly), so I saw no point investing time there.

other improvements, like copying the decoded frame back to main memory and performing full post-processing fast enough to handle 24 1080p frames per second, require hardware architecture that can only be found on very recent systems, and those systems can decode H.264 without DXVA assistance.

Is there any specific improvement that you're interested in?
Regards,
Tal
Old 13th March 2011, 10:22   #13219  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
other improvements, like copying the decoded frame back to main memory and performing full post-processing fast enough to handle 24 1080p frames per second, require hardware architecture that can only be found on very recent systems, and those systems can decode H.264 without DXVA assistance.
FWIW, whether copying decoded frames back to main memory is feasible depends mostly on the GPU. It seems that newer nVidia GPUs can do that very quickly. While all ATI and Intel GPUs are extremely slow doing that. I've just created a benchmark program for that and asked madVR users to test it. I've seen nVidia GPUs "download" NV12 1080p textures from GPU to main memory with up to 600fps. In contrast, all ATI and Intel GPU benchmarks are slower than the needed 24fps. The highest ATI result I have is 5fps.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2011, 10:39   #13220  |  Link
oddball

Would it be possible to embed ffpresets and ffApresets in MKV files and have ffdshow autoload the presets from the MKV (Rather than have the file seperate with the same name)? It would make things much neater for me. I have a few encodes that require their own special presets and having a seperate preset file or having it listed under profiles is a bit messier than pulling it directly from an MKV file itself. Can you even embed a preset in an MKV?
oddball is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ffdshow, ffdshow tryouts, ffdshow-mt, ffplay, icl