Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors

Old 19th January 2003, 00:27   #1  |  Link
2COOL
PGC Navigator in Training

Getting Rid of Movie Intros Guide

Getting Rid of Movie Intros Guide

Soooo,here's the scenario. You have company logos and other crap embedded in your first chapter, prior to your movie actually starts? You find that bothersome and you want to bypass them. Sometimes, these menu intros don't even reside in their own cells. Here's a sure way of getting the accurate start entry point so that when you press Play, it starts playing the movie. I take no credit for this method. To the best of my knowledge, credits should go to VidHack.

NOTE: This procedure will NOT strip your menu-intros out. It is used to set a new starting entry point on when actual movie begins.

Courtesy of 2CL

Tools I used:
IFOedit 0.95
DVD2AVI 1.76 & VOBrator 0.2 Beta.
Wordpad or Text Editor
Scientific Calculator (Windows or personal)

NOTE: This guide is in assumption that your movie (widescreen or fullscreen) resides in VTS_01_*. Substitute VTS_01_* your actual titleset, VTS_*_* in this guide if it's not.
3. Movie, with no sound, will appear in viewing area. Dragging the bottom slide bar and using the < and > buttons for fine tuning, get to a black part that is just before the movie actually starts. When you get that spot you want, press the “[” button located at bottom right. This sets the movie start point.
7. Find and view this line: Location=0,A,0,B. This is just an example. The second position, represented by "A", zero is your start hex value and the fourth position, "B", is your end hex value. Positions 1 and 3 are normally zeroes.

Since we are just dealing with the menu-intros, write down your start value.

Normally, the movie is located in VTS_PGC_1. In Cell 1 section, your entry start points is normally a value of 0. Change that value to the value you wrote down in step 11. Do this by double-left clicking on line.

Last edited by 2COOL; 30th July 2003 at 13:19.
2COOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2003, 04:47   #2  |  Link
timewaster

I just tried this and when I played back the move from IFOEdit, it freezes. Anyone else tried this and had success?
timewaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2003, 04:50   #3  |  Link
timewaster

About A Boy split problem

After splitting about a boy, i tried to make disc2 start by playing the movie instead of the menu. I did this by changing the precommand to jumpto titleset 1, title1, rootmenu, but it still plays the menu.
Anyone know how to fix this?
timewaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2003, 14:24   #4  |  Link
htc10825
Gladiator

@timewaster
dont waster your time, just use InstantCopy 7.0 to shrink the movie to 1 disc. Make your life easier.

Last edited by htc10825; 25th February 2003 at 14:39.
htc10825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2003, 14:37   #5  |  Link
htc10825
Gladiator

major improvement for "get the starting sector"

@2CooL
instead of the dvd2avi etc. way, just double click on the line containing "cell 1" in VTS_01_0.IFO root pannel of IfoEdit. You'll see a preview window, use the slide bar to navigation to the real movie starting point. Get the sector address displayed above the preview picture. Then go on with your guide step 12.

So the steps 1. -11. can be simplifed to ONE step.

2CooL, you are very cool. But keep on good working!
EDIT: I've deleted some words(in above line) which someone was not amused with it.

Last edited by htc10825; 25th February 2003 at 18:53.
Old 25th February 2003, 14:42   #6  |  Link
2COOL

Re: About A Boy split problem

Quote:
Originally posted by timewaster
After splitting about a boy, i tried to make disc2 start by playing the movie instead of the menu. I did this by changing the precommand to jumpto titleset 1, title1, rootmenu, but it still plays the menu.
Anyone know how to fix this?
Don't do a (JumpSS_VTSM) Jump to Titleset Menu. You'll just get your menu again. Do a (Jump_TT) Jump to Title and make your value "1". I'm assuming your movie is in Titleset 1. This will play your movie first.
Old 25th February 2003, 15:23   #7  |  Link
2COOL

Re: major improve for "get the starting sector"

[EDITED]

Last edited by 2COOL; 2nd August 2003 at 01:41.
2COOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2003, 18:48   #8  |  Link
htc10825
Gladiator

I found the nick funny so made joke with it. It is nothing evil. If you feel it that "like a flame towards my well-being" so sorry for it and I'll deleted it. But you've ignored that I appreciated your good works a lot in the two previours posts. How do you explain it?
If someone makes a trivial thing so big and quote the forum rulez etc. as answer at once ... I would say it is not the best proof of coolness.
We do discuss here "just for fun" so let's keep on discovering more hidden secrets of IfoEdit that were left by Derrow.

Last edited by htc10825; 25th February 2003 at 18:55.
Old 25th February 2003, 23:24   #9  |  Link
2COOL

Quote:
Originally posted by htc10825
But you've ignored that I appreciated your good works a lot in the two previours posts. How do you explain it?.
@htc10825

Don't worry about it. I was totally dead tired last night to remember every person who gave a nice reply to me. My apologies. Got some sleep. I'm really a nice person so again, thanks for the tip.I'm always open for suggestions.
Old 21st November 2005, 05:26   #10  |  Link
TomBrooklyn

Hi 2Cool,
I want to remove the FBI and copyright stuff. I ripped with DeCrypter in File Mode. I open the file with IfoEdit. All I see are line of text. I can't tell what is what. How am I supposed to know what to delete? Thanks.

I press DVD Preview and a pop up says I need mpeg2 decoder. I thought I had one of them installed somewhere on my computer already. I can view DVDs in Shrink or in VLC media player. What do I have to do to view dvd in ifoedit so I can tell what I want to remove?

Last edited by TomBrooklyn; 21st November 2005 at 05:28.
TomBrooklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2005, 08:12   #11  |  Link
jeanl

TomBrooklyn
There are much better tools than IFOEdit available now to do that kind of stuff:
- Vobblanker (check out the guides here)
- PgcEdit (guides here and these two to do exactly what you want...

jeanl
Old 21st November 2005, 09:16   #12  |  Link
TomBrooklyn

Hi jean,
I tried to get the first Pgc guide you said was "here" but that guide has a menu but no content under any of the menu sections.

I started using your guide though. BTW, in your guide it seems under section 4 that I have to leave Trace Mode to retore the icons on top where I can select the "Kill Playback" button. Then I have to restore Trace Mode to select "Next PB". You didn't mention that so I wondered if I did something wrong or suboptimally.

Also in Section 3, you say to select "No" to the offer to mark the PGC as having no cells/programs. Would that remove the section to allow more space for the main movie?

Another question I have is I came up on a trailer for some other movies. I had set this to still picture in Shrink on the burn I did before. I went to kill it in Pgc and it shows it has five buttons. I got a warning about the buttons when I selected to kill it, so I didn't kill it. However, that trailer has no buttons. I know that from watching the original.

Last edited by TomBrooklyn; 22nd November 2005 at 15:56. Reason: spelling correction
Old 21st November 2005, 09:36   #13  |  Link
CoNS
reMember

Removing unwanted material has been discussed a lot here in this forum in previous threads.

You may want to check out this thread. (see my first reply in that thread for a overview of the various methods)
CoNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2005, 09:50   #14  |  Link
TomBrooklyn

OK CoNS, thanks. I think I want Vob for my current application anyway as I'd rather remove the material then just bypass it.
Old 21st November 2005, 11:20   #15  |  Link
TomBrooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanl
Vobblanker (check out the guides here)
Thanks for the links jeanl. I'm looking at these guides. But they assume the reader has a considerable amount of previous knowledge. They're filled with technical terms and acronyms I dont' even understand.

For instance, right off the bat there are the two guide titles, one for blanking and one for cutting, but there is no description of what 'blanking' and 'cutting 'mean.' For the moment, I am assuming they mean the common definition of the words and that blanking means you won't see the section but is is not removed, and cutting mean the section is removed.

Then for instance, check out this second sentance from the guide on blanking:

"Change post into precomm (Safely): Change postcommands into recommends when blanking titles. Safely means do it only if there aren’t cell commands in the PGC."

I don't know what a postcommand or pre command is. I think I know what a title is from seeing them in DVD Shrink. I don't know what a cell command or PGC are.

All I want to do is cut out some parts of the movie that I don't want to see.

Any more basic help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by TomBrooklyn; 22nd November 2005 at 15:59.
Old 21st November 2005, 12:46   #16  |  Link
Dimad

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBrooklyn
All I want to do is cut out some parts of the movie that I don't want to see. Is there a guide that a normal intelligent person with little or no prior knowledge of DVD copying can understand? [/rant]

Any basic help would be much appreciated. For starters, do I want to cut or blank? Thanks.
Check this one out: http://www.dimadsoft.com/dvdremake/ud_dg_04.php
Dimad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2005, 14:06   #17  |  Link
TomBrooklyn

Hi Dimad,
That looks nice but I was hoping to be able to do it with freeware or donorware.

BTW, I processed the files, ran it through Shrink, and it didn't work. Nothing was gone.

TomBk
Old 21st November 2005, 16:52   #18  |  Link
Groasnicu'

Hi TomBrooklyn,

First of all read forum rules, especialy
1) Read up before asking! There are tons of guides, FAQs and each forum has a dedicated Q&A thread with additional info.

1a) Use the search function before posting. Chances are your question has already been answered.

and second freeware & donorware is made, generaly, by one person not by corporation resulting a small interface.

If you want something easier to use, with a good visual interface, in generaly you have to pay.
Groasnicu' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2005, 16:53   #19  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBrooklyn
...All I want to do is cut out some parts of the movie that I don't want to see...
You are asking for a freeware program that makes this Trivial to do, and there just ain't none, sorry! DVDs are basically specially-constructed video files (VOBs), with instructions to players(IFOs) for how to play them.

So you can't muck with the videos without also making sure the instructions still work, and vice-versa.

The simplest way to avoid warnings & such is to use DVD Shrink and backup in Re-Author mode w/only the movie and soundtracks/subtitles you want. But if you want to retain the complete menu structure yet avoid certain elements of the complete DVD then you will have to learn PgcEdit or IfoEdit or one of the other (all pretty complex) tools, along with some of the terminology involved.
laserfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2005, 17:26   #20  |  Link
CoNS
reMember

Well... As laserfan wrote, unfortunately there's no freeware tool that allows you to remove unwanted material easily. The creation of such a tool has previously been discussed in this thread, but none of the DVD programming wizards in the forum got hooked!

However, do not dispair! Removing unwanted material using freeware tools can certainly be done, and like most other things in life it's actually quite easy to do, as soon as you know how to do it!

Here's a very basic overview:

First of all you need to find out where in the DVD structure the unwanted material is located. To do this you need to understand how a video DVD is structured: The files in the VIDEO_TS folder don't give you much useful info about this, other than you can see that all DVDs consist of two parts: VMG (Video ManaGer, located in the VIDEO_TS.xxx files) and one or more VTS (Video TitleSets, located in the VTS_xx_x.xx files).

The VMG is the "entry point" of the DVD. It may contain menus (i.e. it has a "menu domain", called VMGM). A VTS can contain both menus (in the menu domain, called VTSM) and titles (in the title domain, called VTST).

In the VIDEO_TS folder, the VTS_xx_0.VOB file contains the menu domain of the current VTS, and the title domain is located in VTS_xx_1.VOB, VTS_xx_2.VOB and so on. The VTS_xx_0.IFO file holds the information for all of those VOB files in the current VTS.

The VOB (Video OBject) files contain the video, audio and subtitle streams. The IFO files contain the formatting information of the VOB files, which tells the DVD player exactly how the DVD should be played (about chapters, subtitles, audio tracks, aspect ratio, languages etc.). BUP files are backups for IFO files, which are needed if the IFO files get corrupted.

Both menus and titles can be split into PGCs (ProGram Chains), and even into cells. To put it very simple the commands (pre commands, post commands and cell commands) tie together the various parts of the DVD. Try and load a DVD in PgcEdit and see the DVD structure in the panel to the left. Among other things it shows you the number of buttons (in both menus and titles) and the playback time of the video in each PGC. To the right it shows you the commands of the selected PGC. Here's an example of a DVD may look in PgcEdit

You can also use PgcEdit to find out where the unwanted material is located inside your disc. The easy (but a bit random) way is this: Load the DVD, right click on the PGC you want to check out (judging from the playback time etc.) and choose Preview. Notice the VTS and PGC number, when you encounter the unwanted material. If the unwanted material is located inside a cell among more cells in a PGC, you can doubleclick on a PGC to bring up the Pgc editor window. Hit the ">" icon next to the cell you want to preview.

The advanced method to find the unwanted material is to use PgcEdit's Trace function (see below).

If the unwanted material is located in separate titlesets, titles, PGCs or cells, you can quite easily remove it by using VobBlanker. VobBlanker blanks the material, i.e. totally removes it (you save space on the disc). Here's a guide.

PgcEdit can also blank out whole title or menu domains inside titlesets. But it can only kill playback of other titles, PGCs and cells, so that the material is "disabled" but not removed from the disc (i.e. there's no space reduction). Here's a guide on how to kill playback with PgcEdit (also shows you how to use the trace function in PgcEdit to find the unwanted material).

If you don't need to save space, an alternative method would be to jump straight to the main movie by using PgcEdit's macro "Jump to PGC Upon DVD Insert". Here's a guide.

If the unwanted material is a part of the main movie PGC and is partly located in one or more cells (like some studio logos at the beginning of the movie, and also often the end credits), you can remove it by using VobBlanker's cut function. Here's a guide. You may also use DVDShrink for cutting a part of the movie (in reauthor mode use the start and end pointer settings to leave out the unwanted parts).

For further reading on the subject,

(Blanking/removing/"disabling"/cutting unwanted material has been discussed numerous times in other threads in this section.)

Last edited by CoNS; 21st November 2005 at 21:31.
CoNS is offline   Reply With Quote