Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies

Old 11th April 2020, 17:33   #1  |  Link
joselito

Ripping, tweaking hues/brightness/contrast, and saving it.

Hi,

I have a favorite TV show that has never been released on DVD/BD with the right colors and brightness/contrast levels. Everything was so wrong that no TV or media player correction would do.

I've bought the BD box three years ago, and, just like the DVD sets from the 2000s, it was all wrong.

Just by accident a couple of years ago, I’ve discovered that the “video” tab of Intel HD Graphics Control Panel could tweak colors and brightness/contrast radically, like no media player software or TV could ever do it. By using it, I managed to make the episodes look more or less like they once looked back in the '80s broadcasts (now free of my VHS recordings, full of annoyances and blurry image). Very radical changes, like turning greens into blues without messing the reds. Way better than the usual "hue" control only (in which you get one color right, and all the others wrong).

I saved +- 50 Intel HD Graphics video presets (.igp files), and they cover with different degrees of success the 100+ eps. Some media players ignore HD Graphics Control Panel tweaks (VLC, for instance), but others, like PowerDVD and MPC-HC, automatically show them. Hence, by using those two players in associations with Intel HD Graphics, I can watch the whole show the way I see as very acceptable.

Perfect so far, but I will only be able to keep doing that while I still have my old laptop with that particular Intel Control Panel...

So what I would really like to do is to save a copy of each episode, for absolute personal use (from the BDs I own), that would show those color tweaks. (Sorry for the long intro).

I am sure I cannot save a new video file that would keep the Intel CP tweaks. The only alternative I have right now is playing the eps on PowerDVD or MPC-HC with the Intel tweaks on and recording that with softs like Movavi Screen Recorder, in such case, surprisingly, the final result keeps the tweaks (the tweaks can be recorded!). But I can see a good loss of quality and performance. I'd prefer a process that would involve ripping.

I don't know how to do it, but I believe I could rip the BDs to MKVs, and then I could use Avisynth scripts and related softs to change the colors/light (even with more flexibility than Intel Control Panel), and then I suppose I could save a new file that would keep the new colors/light. I know I would have to recreate the presets from scratch. There would be no "automatic" conversion of Intel presets to hue/color levels on AviSynth. On the other hand, there would be possible advantages, too, like even better and dynamic tweaks.

I suppose it is possible because I've read once that a Lord of the Rings BD release could be corrected with AviSynth. But is that really possible? (ripping the BD and then making a new mkv or other format copy that would preserve AviSynth color changes)

If it is possible, I wonder if you’d advise me on where I would get to learn the huge amount of knowledge needed for that. As it is now, I barely can make basic AviSynth scripts to work, like those ones that show version number. My level is so low that my AviSynth script that should allow mkv playing does not work (just an example). I have miles to go and I am stumbling over the very first steps.

Last edited by joselito; 11th April 2020 at 17:38.
joselito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2020, 22:26   #2  |  Link
Emulgator
Big Bit Savings Now !

It may be time consuming because of the learning curve, but is very rewarding.
You can find out what the Intel tweaks incorporated, there should be no magic that can not be done within Avisynth.
In your case: Ripping, Colour correction in Avisynth, reencoding, muxing to BD, writing BD-R.
has been done for many recordings by many individuals here, with help from the community.
Old 13th April 2020, 00:21   #3  |  Link
joselito

That is awesome, Emulgator! Thank you so much.

I'm gonna eventually take a deep breath and will start trying to learn what I need to learn (about AviSynth and related softs, I know there are many) for such a project.

I'm sure there will be no other way than to go "little by little".
Right now, I am at a so newbie level that my scripts that should make a simple .mkv run don't work LOL.

It will be a long run until I have the first ep corrected.

And then there will be 109 eps remaining.

Thanks again
joselito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2020, 08:53   #4  |  Link
Emulgator
Big Bit Savings Now !

You may start with Groucho2004's Universal AviSynthInstaller, install Avisynth+ x86 und AviSynth+ x64
put LaTo's SmoothAdjust into Avisynth+ x86 und AviSynth+ x64 folders
get gispos' AvsPmod x86 and x64
Open AvsPmod (maybe x86), copy/paste the following into window
Code:
va=LWLibavVideoSource("Path to your decrypted source.m2ts")
aa=LWLibavAudioSource("Path to your decrypted source.m2ts")
AudioDub(va,aa)
SmoothCurve(HQ=true, interp=100, limiter=false, debug=true, screenW=1280, screenH=768, \
Ycurve="0-0;127-127;255-255", \
Ucurve="0-0;127-127;255-255", \
Vcurve="0-0;127-127;255-255")
edit the path and press F5.
Old 20th April 2020, 09:58   #5  |  Link
lansing

I wouldn't go with Avisynth if dealing with color tweaking. You'll need something that has a gui. Can you make a screenshot of the intel graphic control showing how it looks like so people can give you alternative?
lansing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avisynth, colors, hue, mkv, rip