Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Old 15th August 2006, 17:42   #381  |  Link
fight2win
What's in a name dude !

for encoding ac3 to aac via megui, where ac3 is 192 kbps ac3 (cantonese original mono), should i go for keep original channels or convert to mono? i use force decoding via dshow, and in ac3filter, "AS Is" decoding...
fight2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2006, 21:18   #382  |  Link
shon3i
BluRay Maniac

Just leave is as, but after encoding see what happens, is file real mono or is upmixed to stereo.
shon3i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2006, 12:31   #383  |  Link
fight2win
What's in a name dude !

please tell us proper way of encoding ac3/dts to aac, in which proper gain/volumes and all other effects are properly maintained, please...
fight2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2006, 12:12   #384  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

@dimzon: looking at people reporting low audio in megui I decided to have a look at the avisynthaudioencoder and compare it with what the trusty old besweet does.
I found the following differences:
besweet performs DRC. We now have DRC in nicaudio as well so I think it makes sense to use it.
besweet uses gain (be it hybrid or postgain, depending on the audio format), whereas the increase volume option in megui is a 100% normalization. I suspect we'd get better results by analyzing the samples read during the first pass, and compute a DB gain, then write a new script with the amplifydb command in it.
Do you think that's doable?
Old 17th August 2006, 12:20   #385  |  Link
dimzon
BeHappy/MeGUI developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom9
I suspect we'd get better results by analyzing the samples read during the first pass, and compute a DB gain, then write a new script with the amplifydb command in it.
I believe Normalize()=="analyzing the samples read during the first pass, and compute a DB gain, then write a new script with the amplifydb command in it"

Actually I think we need to write Yet another Avisynth filter to perform non-linear DRC (like besweet's DSPguru/Ligh/Tera)

add:
this is sample http://www.ligh.de/software/booster.zip

Last edited by dimzon; 17th August 2006 at 12:31.
dimzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2006, 12:34   #386  |  Link
shon3i
BluRay Maniac

No we need only some scaner like aacgain or avsamp or foobar replay gain who will preformed RG over aac, aslo we can simulate HybridGain using first normalize than RG.
Old 17th August 2006, 12:39   #387  |  Link
dimzon
BeHappy/MeGUI developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shon3i
No we need only some scaner like aacgain or avsamp or foobar replay gain who will preformed RG over aac, aslo we can simulate HybridGain using first normalize than RG.
Sorry, I really don't understand you!
AFAIK Normalize perform scan and compute Max peak value at first pass. Than it compute amplification factor as (factor * AbsoluteMax/FoundMax) and perform amplification on second pass...
Old 17th August 2006, 12:45   #388  |  Link
shon3i
BluRay Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimzon
Sorry, I really don't understand you!
AFAIK Normalize perform scan and compute Max peak value at first pass. Than it compute amplification factor as (factor * AbsoluteMax/FoundMax) and perform amplification on second pass...
Just you need scaner like from foobar's ReplayGain or something like HybridGain from BeSweet, or little small app called aacgain which preform RG over aac but have same scaner like foobar (find's same db and than amplyfy it but works only with stereo).
Old 17th August 2006, 13:11   #389  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Actually, Hybridgain does the following: apply a 10dB gain at the input, encode while finding the maximum possible gain, then apply that gain as postgain after encoding.
If normalize was the same as finding and applying the maximum gain , why are the results so different in between using besweet vs behappy?
Old 17th August 2006, 13:32   #390  |  Link
tebasuna51

Quote:
@dimzon: looking at people reporting low audio in megui I decided to have a look at the avisynthaudioencoder
I think, like Kurtnoise, is a player problem not with encoder.
Quote:
and compare it with what the trusty old besweet does.
I found the following differences:
besweet performs DRC.
We now have DRC in nicaudio as well so I think it makes sense to use it.
Of course must be a option use/not use DRC.
Boost (non-linear DRC) can be a option, but I never recommend use boost transcoding ac3 -> aac.
Quote:
besweet uses gain (be it hybrid or postgain, depending on the audio format), whereas the increase volume option in megui is a 100% normalization. I suspect we'd get better results by analyzing the samples read during the first pass, and compute a DB gain, then write a new script with the amplifydb command in it.
Do you think that's doable?
AviSynth Normalize do this job (a first pass to compute a DB gain and a second pass to apply)

@shon3i ReplayGain don't work properly with ac3 5.1 like I say in this post

I make many test with AviSynth Normalize and never the aac output volume is less than ac3 input volume.
tebasuna51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2006, 13:42   #391  |  Link
shon3i
BluRay Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebasuna51
@shon3i ReplayGain don't work properly with ac3 5.1 like I say in this post

I make many test with AviSynth Normalize and never the aac output volume is less than ac3 input volume.
That is true but when i play for example DVD via PowerDVD or other DVD players ac3 is more louder like is aac after this RG, aslo AutoGordianKnot use some Normalize over mp3 which generate very loud files, like besweet after HybridGain. Somebody told me that aac can't be used with HybridGain because aac don't have RG or post gain, both CT and Nero devs are negate that.

in this case RG works very good.
Old 17th August 2006, 16:01   #392  |  Link
dimzon
BeHappy/MeGUI developer

Quote:
That is true but when i play for example DVD via PowerDVD or other DVD players ac3 is more louder
Maybe You have Boost (non-linear DRC) option activated? Sometimes this option has some "brand" name like "Night mode" etc
Old 17th August 2006, 16:47   #393  |  Link
tebasuna51

Quote:
That is true but when i play for example DVD via PowerDVD or other DVD players ac3 is more louder like is aac after this RG,
This is a player problem, and can affect to many people but not to everybody. If I play ac3 with Ac3Filter configured to amplify the signal +20 dB of course I play the ac3 more loud.
Quote:
aslo AutoGordianKnot use some Normalize over mp3 which generate very loud files, like besweet after HybridGain. Somebody told me that aac can't be used with HybridGain because aac don't have RG or post gain, both CT and Nero devs are negate that.
HybridGain is developed to prevent clips in encoder phase: if source is 100% (0 dB) normalized (PreGain), some samples can be encoded over 100% (a good encoder can't do this, but may exists < +2dB).
Then HybridGain is a PreGain limited (< 100%), and after a PostGain to reach the 100% (or less) in formats than accept this.

PreGain 100% is equal to HybridGain +- 2 dB, then HybridGain is more accurate than PreGain/Normalize but don't justify any volume difference. And any difference can't be previewed before the encode phase (with RG over the ac3 input)
Old 17th August 2006, 16:52   #394  |  Link
dimzon
BeHappy/MeGUI developer

Quote:
If I play ac3 with Ac3Filter configured to amplify the signal +20 dB
It mean You have (AmplifyDb(20) + Limiter)==Boost(Non-Linear DRC)
Old 17th August 2006, 16:56   #395  |  Link
shon3i
BluRay Maniac

Quote:
If I play ac3 with Ac3Filter configured to amplify the signal +20 dB of course I play the ac3 more loud.
Yes but my ac3 filter version 1.01 plays ac3 like PowerDVD 5/6/7, settings are default, which means ac3 something about +10db louder

@all can somebody check aacgain/avsamp (AviSynth ampifler) metod because works same as RG from foobar.

Last edited by shon3i; 17th August 2006 at 17:01.
Old 17th August 2006, 17:07   #396  |  Link
tebasuna51

Quote:
It mean You have (AmplifyDb(20) + Limiter)==Boost(Non-Linear DRC)
Nope. Is only a example.

Don't worry (be happy) with this problem. Is not a encoder problem, forget boost, non-linear DRC, ...

We need an aac 5.1 decoder, a new Bepipe (without header errors like first BeHappy) before than boost.
Old 17th August 2006, 17:18   #397  |  Link
dimzon
BeHappy/MeGUI developer

Quote:
We need an aac 5.1 decoder, a new Bepipe (without header errors like first BeHappy) before than boost.
Hmmm...
Why not just use DShow to decode 5.1 AAC? Actually I never transcode FROM AAC IRL...
Why do You need bePipe? Do you want to write batches?
Old 17th August 2006, 17:37   #398  |  Link
shon3i
BluRay Maniac

Quote:
Why not just use DShow to decode 5.1 AAC? Actually I never transcode FROM AAC IRL...
Me too, but for ppl's who want back aac->ac3 or something else aac conversations will be usefull, for example i have stereo speakers and in decoder is set to dominix, so i must always disable that when i want transcode.

Quote:
before than boost.
We not need boost, we need better first pass scener
Old 17th August 2006, 18:08   #399  |  Link
tebasuna51

Quote:
Hmmm...
I can use DShow (I need change player settings with encoder settings and after turn to player settings), but I can't say to other people how to make that, because I don't know their DShow configuration.
You don't have problems with MEGUI DShow input?
Quote:
Why do You need bePipe? Do you want to write batches?
Yeah... I like batches, not GUI's
Old 17th August 2006, 18:17   #400  |  Link
tebasuna51

Quote:
We not need boost, we need better first pass scener
Scanner, I suppose.
shon3i, really Normalize work fine.

Tags
behappy