Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 13th December 2005, 21:02   #21  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by trodas
Stupid but releated question (please don't kill me)

Is this the right tool, that help me to open the mkv file so I could get the AVI and the SUBTITLES from it?

The subs did not match well, so they need fixing, so I have to open the file

What can I use? Is this the right toy for my little game?
Yes, mkvtoolnix is the right package for this task. I would suggest you take these steps:
  1. Extract the subtitles from the mkv file,
  2. Edit the extracted subtitle file and correct the timestamps,
  3. Remux the source mkv file without the bogus subtitle track and add the corrected subtitle file at the same time.

A short example of how to do this:
  1. Use mkvextract or the mkvextract GUI that can be found somewhere here on the forum for extraction. Let's call the resulting file "subs.srt".
  2. Use whatever software you like -- a plain text editor or a special subtitle editor -- for editing "subs.srt".
  3. Start mmg, the mkvmerge GUI. Then add the original file. You'll see that several tracks appear in mmg's track list. DEselect the defective subtitle track. Now add "subs.srt" and mux everything into a new file.

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Mosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2005, 21:06   #22  |  Link
kurt
sidekick

Quote:
Stupid but releated question (please don't kill me)

Is this the right tool, that help me to open the mkv file so I could get the AVI and the SUBTITLES from it?

The subs did not match well, so they need fixing, so I have to open the file

What can I use? Is this the right toy for my little game?
nope, try MKVextractGUI ...
http://www.matroska.org/downloads/windows.html

edit: too late
Old 14th December 2005, 12:50   #23  |  Link
Teegedeck
Moderator, Ex(viD)-Mascot

Here comes a small and selfish request for mmg.exe that I've never dared to come forward with till now - Mosu, could you alter the automatic setting of output filenames a little so that the output filename is cleared not only after adding a job to the queue but also after removing the initial input-file? It's purely an ease-of-use request for my personal benefit as I'd like to re-use the same instance of mkvmerge without having to go over the job-queue or having to resort to _typing_(!) while I fiddle with small test sequences. Thanks if you have some time left to do that and never mind if you don't!
Teegedeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2005, 13:46   #24  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teegedeck
Here comes a small and selfish request for mmg.exe that I've never dared to come forward with till now - Mosu, could you alter the automatic setting of output filenames a little so that the output filename is cleared not only after adding a job to the queue but also after removing the initial input-file?
I don't like that too much, because that would probably confuse a lot of users. What I could do is to clear the output file name once all input files have been removed. Would that suffice for you?

Old 14th December 2005, 14:17   #25  |  Link
Teegedeck
Moderator, Ex(viD)-Mascot

Ah, that would be just as well.

I wouldn't want mmg's usability for others to be degraded in any way.

Thank you, Mosu.
Teegedeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2005, 16:45   #26  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Give http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkv...20051214-1.rar a try, Teegedeck

Old 14th December 2005, 21:28   #27  |  Link
trodas
WinXP SP3 suxx :-/

Well, thank you, but the executable need so many dlls to download, starting with cygz.dll ... and the only way is trough setup, and internet update, witch is awfull and it makes me wish only one thing - never EVER meet any other mkv file. Now I just hope I can extract the AVI and the SUBtitles file from the mkv container, witch is maybe good for something, but flooding my system with many stupid useless files make me wish it never existed - ever
Old 14th December 2005, 22:27   #28  |  Link
Didée

Quote:
... so many dlls to download ... flooding my system with many stupid useless files ...
bla-blabla.

One file to download: mkvtoolnix*setup.exe. One more archive to download for mkvextract-gui. That's it.

Then:
Go to X:\Windows. Call 'properties'. Read how many files were found. (On my sys.: 11'117)
NOW start wondering about useless files.

My little flickr gallery. (Yes indeed, I do have hobbies other than digital video!)
Didée is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2005, 16:44   #29  |  Link
trodas
WinXP SP3 suxx :-/

Didée - bla bla bla bla, on my system any dir like Windows did not exist. It is a WinNT dir there (have you bothered to check my sig?) and there is only 4 440 files (including the additional need dll's I had to use) and the system is far from being optimized by nLite
Now talk about so many useless files

I hate setups. Just depack and run. Besides, with a little tweaking I found, that is need just

cygz.dll
cygwin1.dll
libiconv.dll

...so I could delete the rest of the horsecrap, flooding my poor HDD

Now the real problem. I can extract the subtitles, video and audio. Subtitles are ok, but since the mkv did NOT report the framerate of the file, I can't even convert the srt into the sub (MicroDVD format), because I don't know the framerate. Eh, that suxx. Audio of fine, normal ogg format. Yet the track one, the video is veird.

Track1.rmvb

rmvb? WTF? The file looks like this:

Code:
.RMF            PROP   2   PF. ŻÄ  >‰   
 I] V!    #&Gi   ż  	CONT             MDPR   i     PF. ŻÄ  >‰   
         V!Videovideo/x-pn-realvideo   "   "VIDORV40Ŕp        H @   DATA#&FŞ
So, how I can create a NORMAL avi file to witch I can sync the subtitles from THIS?! VirtualDub mod did not like the file, and I need him to like it, becuase I need to link the audio with it and save as normal avi container, witch one can work with... help?

PS. so I just open the mkv file with the VirtualDub with hope to save it as avi, yet it says that "The source videostream uses a compression algorithm witch is not compatible with AVI files. Direct stream copy cannot be used with this videostream." So I quess that it is. Useless mkv video, I need to download another version of the movie, for this time surelly avoid the mkv one, right?

Last edited by trodas; 15th December 2005 at 16:48.
trodas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2005, 17:00   #30  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

It's not mkv's fault that it supports rmvb and avi doesn't. Go bitch at whomever made it, though I doubt they'll care either, because you can't store rmvb in avi without recompression; to play or load it you need real player or real alternative.

And mkv does have a default duration, which is the inverse of the framerate.

Last edited by foxyshadis; 15th December 2005 at 17:06.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2005, 17:01   #31  |  Link
Didée

trodas - welcome in the digital world. If it does bother you so much indeed, consider collecting stamps instead.

Quote:
Useless mkv video, I need to download another version of the movie, for this time surelly avoid the mkv one, right?
No. What you need to do is reading the forum rules, since you are breaking them.

My little flickr gallery. (Yes indeed, I do have hobbies other than digital video!)
Didée is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2005, 23:56   #32  |  Link
Isochroma

Frame 0 eaten by MKVMerge

Using MKVMerge 1.6.5, muxing DivX 6.11 files I noticed that frame 0 of the avi file is eaten, when muxed in either native mpeg-4 mode or VFW mode. This occured whether or not b-frames were used in the avi file. If b-frames are enabled, the entire video clip loses 3 frames, and frame 0 is eaten.

This is using DirectShowSource() and VirtualDub to check the frame alignment.

Are these two items features, or bugs? Are there any undocumented switches to prevent frame 0 from being eaten? I can understand the b-frame delay, though...
Isochroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2005, 03:12   #33  |  Link
issa

Quote:
Well, thank you, but the executable need so many dlls to download, starting with cygz.dll ... and the only way is trough setup, and internet update, witch is awfull and it makes me wish only one thing - never EVER meet any other mkv file. Now I just hope I can extract the AVI and the SUBtitles file from the mkv container, witch is maybe good for something, but flooding my system with many stupid useless files make me wish it never existed - ever
If you don't want to download those dll, you can try my build if you have
system support unicode and SSE2.

Here is the link, http://rapidshare.de/files/9250966/m...E-SSE2.7z.html
issa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2005, 08:21   #34  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isochroma
Using MKVMerge 1.6.5, muxing DivX 6.11 files I noticed that frame 0 of the avi file is eaten, when muxed in either native mpeg-4 mode or VFW mode. This occured whether or not b-frames were used in the avi file. If b-frames are enabled, the entire video clip loses 3 frames, and frame 0 is eaten.
Huh!? This would mean that the whole file doesn't start with an I frame, right? So playback would basically suck at the beginning or even break?

Can you upload such a file please?

Old 16th December 2005, 20:06   #35  |  Link
Isochroma

Dis-Synchronous

I have no doubt that frame 0 is indeed present. Just that no player or DirectShowSource() seems able to extract it when muxed in MKV. If the AVI track was demuxed, I'm sure it would have the exact number of frames as the original.

I'm using the Haali Media Splitter (installed the Matroska Pack 1.1.2 with that option checked).

Just did a test with a HFYU encoded 7 frame AVI. When muxed in MKV and then loaded into VirtualDub via DirectShowSource(), it shows as 6 frames, the first frame being gone (not deleted but unplayable in MKV form). Thus the behaviour occurs not just with DIV6. The following files demonstrate this quite clearly; please note the URL, path and filenames are all case sensitive.

http://isochroma.com/Testfiles/Misc/t1.avi
http://isochroma.com/Testfiles/Misc/t1.mkv
http://isochroma.com/Testfiles/Misc/t1.avs

Using Media Player Classic 6.4.8.7 and the Go To... frame feature, it can also be ascertained in the provided example files that the AVI and MKV files are dissynchronous by one frame.
Old 16th December 2005, 22:45   #36  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Sounds like a playback/filter issue, doesn't it? I'll ask Haali to look at this thread, maybe he has an idea.

Old 17th December 2005, 02:05   #37  |  Link
Egh

I think it's just outdated Haali splitter problem then. Matroska Pack iirc is quite old and obsolete package...
Egh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2005, 03:26   #38  |  Link
issa

Here is fixed mmg.exe crash on file selection box when there is a file added.

CVS/SVN unicode sse2 build:
http://rapidshare.de/files/9310512/m...e-sse2.7z.html
issa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2005, 03:26   #39  |  Link
Isochroma

Confirm Global Behaviour

Because I'm making an encode which will be released to a number of folks, I'm considering advancing the audio track by 41.7 ms in order to compensate for the frame drop.

Does anyone have suggestions as to how I might verify whether this is global behaviour or some peculiarity of my system? Thanks.
Old 17th December 2005, 10:59   #40  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isochroma
Does anyone have suggestions as to how I might verify whether this is global behaviour or some peculiarity of my system? Thanks.
You could at least try to watch the movie with mplayer (www.mplayerhq.hu) and vlc (www.videolan.org) and compare the A/V sync.