Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors

Old 30th December 2001, 19:15   #1  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

removing the 4:3 layer of a DVD-9

Well.. here's what I did: Took Cruel Intentions, R1

Some basic info first: vts_01_x is the 16:9 version of the movie, 3 full VOBs, one small one plus the menu. vts_02_x is the fullscreen version of the movie with menu (basically the menu is the same.. only the dar flag in the ifo file is different), vts_03_x is a deleted scene (the rest is in video_ts.vob), vts_04_x is the making of. The "menu" vobs for titleset 3 and 4 are pretty much useless imho.

video_ts.vob contains vob id1: tv format selection (widescreen or fullscreen), vob id3: fbi warning1, vob id4: fbi warning2 including "this motion picture has been modified to fit your screen" and a whole lot of other stuff. I stripped these 3 vob IDs using the menu extras function, then copied vts_01_x.vob (main feature, 16:9), vts_03_x.vob (an extra) and vts_04_x.vob (another extra) to another folder, loaded each ifo, pressed get vts_sectors, and saved it again.

result: almost everything works exactly as desired.. when I play the movie the 16:9 copie starts as desired, all the extras are fully functional, there's one small catch:
when I press the "aspect ratio selection" button in the main menu (vts_01_0.vob, vob id 1) the player plays the theatrical trailer (video_ts.vob, vob id2 (after stripping, before it was id5)). So I load up vts_01_0.ifo, I see a line like

Menu 5: [entry only] (Programs: 1) (Cells: 1) (uses VOB-IDs: 2)

which I'm fairly sure is the entry I want to get rid of since it points to vob id2. So I select it, press delete playback, save ifo, correct vts sectors again and try.. but the stupid trailer still comes up when I press the aspect ratio selection. Just in case I also tried to load up all ifos and do sector offset corrections again to no avail. What I was able to do is delete a simliar entry in video_ts.ifo (also uses vob id2) which effectively disabled the "theatrical trailer" button in the extra menu so I know I'm on the right track.. but I want that trailer accessible via the special features menu and I want the "aspect ratio selection" button in the main menu to do nothing at all...

Also.. found a bug in ifo-edit. When I open video_ts.ifo first, then vts_01_0.ifo I can't use the Delete Playback option for vts_01_0.ifo when I jump between the 2 ifos. also.. I can't move the boundary between the ifo overview and the details (upper and lower part of the screen).

I've attached the ifos that still contain the problem (but have the unnecessary info stripped out already.
Old 30th December 2001, 21:53   #2  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

and attached to this post are the original ifo files.

I guess that's a case for derrow...
Old 31st December 2001, 01:02   #3  |  Link
Deathman

hi doom9
dunoo if this helps but...

i also had a similar problem with another dvd...
the way i got around it was to leave the vts_x_o.vobs in place and thier corresponding ifo's and ran get vts sectors on each ifo.
after all was done the problem had gone but the navigation etc ran a little bit slow on my standalone... but it wasnt too bad

anyway hope this helps ..
Deathman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2001, 02:25   #4  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

well... I know exactly how the line looks that I have to delete.. the problem is... nothing happens when I do it for the main menu.. but for the extra menu it works.. so it might as well be a bug. having the menu for the 2nd titleset doesn't make much sense to me as there's no reference to it anywhere plus if you have a look at my first attachment.. the start offset of titleset 2 and titleset3 is the same byte... I truly think the problem is that ifo-edit just doen't properly delete the reference to the trailer.

I hope derrow isn't off partying already