Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Programming and Hacking > Translations

Old 27th December 2002, 02:44   #61  |  Link
DVD__GR

ebala kai sto site sto kanali..
DVD__GR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2002, 02:54   #62  |  Link
DVD__GR

@ Scipio

Just seen ur work......
it is a hell of a job...
u must have really worked a lot..
i am amased...
we will need a lot of work..
for me i dont know if there is much time available to work so hard...
Old 27th December 2002, 05:44   #63  |  Link
epere4
Doom9 in Spanish Team

Quote:
Originally posted by Scipio
Just saw that link...

I'd strongly recommend to use Doom9's naming system from the beginning. Just use the name of the original guide - or else you will be pretty confused when you receive updates and must translate them to your naming system.

gknot-main3.htm should remain gknot-main3.htm for example.
And I also believe that the design should be the same as the original if you ever want the Greek mirror to become official.

And, please, may all of you post in English in this forum, please? Not only because this is an English forum, but also to let other people (esp. people from other projects, who are the ones that can help most) know how everything is going on.
And, remember that if any greek person is in this forum willing to help in a translation site, he/she should be able, at least, to read and write in English. So you shouldn't have problems posting in English

CU

Get DVobSub 2.23 and VobSub 2.23 in Spanish
epere4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2002, 14:05   #64  |  Link
Scipio
translation mod

Re: @ Scipio

Quote:
Originally posted by DVD__GR
Just seen ur work......
it is a hell of a job...
u must have really worked a lot..
Thanks!
.. finally someone who notices the amount of work that went into this project. And I don't even do the software management, since I just take Doom9s Download page and servers (or else traffic would kill my site immediately) - so imagine the great job Doom9 does (although he did it step by step in nearly 3 years, not everything at once).

Quote:
And, remember that if any greek person is in this forum willing to help in a translation site, he/she should be able, at least, to read and write in English. So you shouldn't have problems posting in English
epere4 is damn right here... although it's not forbidden to speak in your language in the translation forum here, it does not make much sense - potential helpers must speak English. I've already made the mistake to speak German with my fellow translators - perhaps you prefer not to repeat that mistake yourself.

---------

Some good news for you (and all other projects): I made Doom9's Download Site accessable via "Anchors" (with his permission of course). I'll post more info on this in the translation guidelines.
Old 27th December 2002, 23:26   #65  |  Link
Pnms

So the site will be hosted at your place murdof. Fotis_Greece if you think you can do better tell us. I think murdof so far has done well.
Murdof giving ftp access in the near future is a very very good idea! If you could do that, it would be great! The only thing to do now, is to share the work that has to be done. Ooo we're moving fast now!!!
Pnms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2002, 00:27   #66  |  Link
DVD__GR

I would like not to be an exact copy...
but if it is going to get doom9's validation..
the it should be like you say,i am really sad to say..
Old 28th December 2002, 22:27   #67  |  Link
geocapital

!
geocapital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2002, 22:28   #68  |  Link
geocapital

Alleluhah!! At last, I can post. It must have been themail...

Hello in everyone!

Sorry for being absent for so much time. My mail (the old one) is not working any more and I den't get informed of the threads.

First of all, the ideas on the mailing list and the icq are very good, so everyone willing to help, join them.
Also, I agree with the idea on translating the programmes too, apart from the guides. But maybe, after the guides. It's more complicated I think.
Moreover, I have space on the net, actually as much as I want, so don't worry about this. However, I don;t know if the idea on multiple administrators is possible.

So, if someone has at least a "first page" ready, send it to me. ganasont@yahoo.gr
Otherwise, I will try to make one on my own. With some luck, there will be something on line before the 10th of January.

I have done some translations on my own. But that was 2-3 months ago, so I don't remember which right now, but havebeen mentioned before on this forum.
So, everyone interested, join the mailing list and the icq. Don't just send your mail. It's not easy to write to everyone from the beginning.
Finally, it's really great to see that the chat on the greek project is on fire.

So, see you in the icq or the m.l.
"Κάθε αρχή και δύσκολη"!!
Old 28th December 2002, 22:34   #69  |  Link
HoBiT

In Greek :
Xairetw tous pantes! Prwta ap'ola pisteyo oti i douleia tha kataliksei se ena poli aksiologo apotelesma epeidi yparxei megalos arithmws atomwn me oreksi na kanoun kati kalo! Pisteyo omos oti tha yparksei mia mikri kathisterisi logo ton eksetaseon stis sxoles merikon apo emas! Gia tis metafraseis kai to genikotero stisimo tou site simfono me ton Pnms.prepei to site na einai to pragmatiko doom9 me ellinikous xaraktires. Giati an ginei kati diko mas to opoio tha exei mono ws vasi to doom9 tha einai san na thes na parousiaseis sa diko sou ena programma to opoio stirizetai se source code allou kai den nomizo oloi emeis na theloume kati tetoio!!! Kai oson afora to thema me ta ellinika kai ta agglika kalitera na grafoume kai sta dio. eksallou tha mas voithisei kai stin merafrasi!!!

Kai min ksexnate to #doom9GR !!!!!!!

In English :

Hello evetyone! First of all I believe that the work will become an
appreciable result because exists big number of persons who want to do something really good!I believe however that will exist a small delay because of the exams in our colleges! For the translations and the whole upload of the site i agree with Pnms. The site must be the original doom9 site with only Greek characters! Because if we do our own something which will have only as base doom9 will be as if you want to tell that a program is yours when it is based on source code writtenby another person and i don't believe that we want something like that to happen! For the subject with Greek and English best to write also in both languages! It also help in translation!!

Anddon't forget the #doom9GR!!!
HoBiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2002, 00:10   #70  |  Link
geocapital

If everyone agrees with that or we can't do otherwise, then the site will be an exact greek translation of doom9 site.
However, I think that it's possible to make a greek site for dvd backup, based on doom9, at least at the beginning, and without doubt with respect to the doom9 site. That means that nothing will be mentioned without easily visible copyright notice.
I hope that is possible.

To #doom9GR einai sto irc? De 8umamai...

Anyway, arxizw na exw perissotero eleu8ero xrono pali, opote 8a drastiriopoii8w kai perissotero. Kai opws exw 3anapei, einai polu kalo pou - EPITELOUS - mazeutikame arketoi!!
Old 29th December 2002, 00:57   #71  |  Link
epere4
Doom9 in Spanish Team

Quote:
Originally posted by geocapital
However, I think that it's possible to make a greek site for dvd backup, based on doom9, at least at the beginning, and without doubt with respect to the doom9 site. That means that nothing will be mentioned without easily visible copyright notice.
I hope that is possible.
I believe that is possible (anyway, you should specifically ask Doom9 for permission), but I don't recommend it.
If at the end you are planning to make your site look like Doom9's, you should start at the beggining with the Doom9 Look.
Makine the site exactly as Doom9's has many advantages: You don't have to "think" a design, your site will be an official translation site (which will make Doom9 put the flag in his main page, and, believe me, that is what gives you about 80% of your visits), etc. I can't think of more right now, but that is a lot, I think.

Good Luck, and continue working!!

Get DVobSub 2.23 and VobSub 2.23 in Spanish
epere4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2002, 01:49   #72  |  Link
Scipio
translation mod

Quote:
I believe that is possible (anyway, you should specifically ask Doom9 for permission), but I don't recommend it.
As Epere4 said, it is "allowed" to have another site design to start with (see also my guidelines - it's in them too), but why should you make another design just to replace it with Doom9's in the end?

You'll have enough work even without inventing a new design... I also had another Design at the beginning and don't know if it helped a lot. I think I would've saved several hours if I hadn't tried to invent some other design (and to change it as I was never satisfied with it ).

----
BTW: Have you noticed my little update to the guidelines?
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28366
Last post:

Quote:
Efficient use of "anchors" in software2.htm
Old 29th December 2002, 03:32   #73  |  Link
DVD__GR

Paidia exo metafrasei kati psila (kati eisagogika) gia dokimi,ama einai na organosoume prota omada gia na min kanei o kathenas oti tou kablosei...
Old 29th December 2002, 03:40   #74  |  Link
oddyseus

well who has downloaded the doom9 site and is responsible for assigning the guides for translation?

I am waiting for my assignment.

"when u r aiming for the impossible everything else is within reach." Mike

ps. respect the forum rules, read, search and only then post.
oddyseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2002, 19:52   #75  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

As with any other franchise.. you can't use the name and design if you don't get along with the program. Specifically, all the knowledge and support you can get from other people running translated mirrors, official doom9.org and doom9.net URLs, your own @doom9.org email Adress, flag on my main site marking you as an official mirror (along with permission to use that phrase on your own site), permission to use the links to software (actually it requires a little more than that to not get stopped by the anti-leech... and trust me.. it will save you a lot of trouble with traffic and such), permission to translate and put online every document ever published on my site and of course the design which makes you easily identifyable as a member of the "doom9 group" and will give Greek people who know Doom9 a familiar look and feel once they come to your site.
Old 29th December 2002, 20:42   #76  |  Link
geocapital

Guys
I've translated some things. I will send them tomorrow, so they can be uploaded. I will inform the mailing list what I've done.

Also, I believe that the translation should be completely greek. That however means that we must translate the programmes as well in the future. We will see on the way.

See you around.
Old 29th December 2002, 23:26   #77  |  Link
Pnms

oddyseus join our mailing list !!
www.nitro.gr/mailman/listinfo/doom9 and the irc channel #Doom9GR . check out this too doom9.nitro.gr/status/ the translations that have already begun.
Only if you do this, you'll know the latest news and the progress of the project. There isn't someone who passes out work. You should decide which guide you want to translate and if nobody has started it yet... start it.
Pnms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2002, 23:45   #78  |  Link
Scipio
translation mod

Quote:
You should decide which guide you want to translate and if nobody has started it yet... start it.
That's why the doc-overview.htm should be online ASAP - so that people see immediately which guides are being translated at the moment.
Is this your official project page now?
http://www.geocities.com/kazer511/doom9/index.htm

as for translations of programs: I don't think that's really needed - programs are updated often and when new features come up you would always have to send new translations to the author. Besides, you can hardly translate most technical terms in this area of DVD stuff. Hey, users get plenty of screenshots after all - what is a translated program good for...?

Last edited by Scipio; 29th December 2002 at 23:49.
Scipio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2002, 01:31   #79  |  Link
geocapital

Scipio,

you, as a german, do you think that if you didn't know english, you could use all these things and programmes? Maybe, thanks to the screenshots. But I don't think that a translation is needed, if it is like this: open "virtualdub", press "file->open", then choose "video->fast recompress"...
I mean that when you describe a series of commands, if you don't translate the commands, then the rest is not important.
That's my opinion. What's yours on this...

Geo.
Old 30th December 2002, 01:42   #80  |  Link
Scipio
translation mod

Quote:
do you think that if you didn't know english, you could use all these things and programmes?
If I didn't know English, I could hardly use them. Probably I couldn't use them at all. But on my site I use the exact same screenshots as Doom9 and I think people understand it.

Doom9 also explains what is done in his guides, he does not only list the commands. So with his explanations and the commands "in quotes" people should get along.

What I suggest is to be stricter than Doom9 when making quotes so that people see that it's a command (that needs their action/mouse clicking) and not just a technical term.