Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 29th March 2020, 19:30   #58941  |  Link
Asmodian

Does it work if you use YUV 444 8 bit?
Old 29th March 2020, 20:19   #58942  |  Link
kettyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Does it work if you use YUV 444 8 bit?
I don't know. I'm back to driver 442.74. Here everything works.
kettyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2020, 02:17   #58943  |  Link
VBB

So, I did some testing. Turns out the issue with the latest Nvidia drivers is with the bit depth, not the color space. Every combo works fine, as long as it's 8-bit. !0-bit and higher cause the display to drop out of HDR, when triggering the player UI.
Old 30th March 2020, 10:47   #58944  |  Link
kettyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBB View Post
So, I did some testing. Turns out the issue with the latest Nvidia drivers is with the bit depth, not the color space. Every combo works fine, as long as it's 8-bit. 10-bit and higher cause the display to drop out of HDR, when triggering the player UI.
Really helpful, thanks!

This will hopefully be fixed soon.

Do you have an idea where the bug report towards Nvidia can be made?
kettyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2020, 16:58   #58945  |  Link
suisenken

hello,

i don't know if it is related with the latest nvidia driver update but now i have the infamous stuttering with the exclusive mode ON and its gone but not perfect when the exclusive mode is no longer selected in the madvr option! this is completely the way around now and that drive me .

Does anyone have experience this?

I'm using an RTX2060 with the lasted driver 445.78 . no improvement after re-installation.

Thank you for you input on this.
suisenken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2020, 17:20   #58946  |  Link
clsid

Set "Power Management Mode" to Adaptive in NVIDIA control panel. If it works fine without exclusive mode, then simply don't use it. It has little to no benefit.
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2020, 18:59   #58947  |  Link
tyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by suisenken View Post
hello,

i don't know if it is related with the latest nvidia driver update but now i have the infamous stuttering with the exclusive mode ON and its gone but not perfect when the exclusive mode is no longer selected in the madvr option! this is completely the way around now and that drive me .

Does anyone have experience this?

I'm using an RTX2060 with the lasted driver 445.78 . no improvement after re-installation.

Thank you for you input on this.

Setting max pre rendered frames to 1 in madvr has always worked for me. Otherwise I get stutter with default settings.
tyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2020, 16:19   #58948  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
The future of madvr is not that promising at this point link, link
The only good thing about it is that we don't have to buy new GPUs
I think the whole crew needs to carefully think on this product.

Lumagen's sales are not that great. If they were, it wouldn't be so damn expensive. The fact that it has remained so expensive indicates the company is still doing low volume and has very little purchasing power to get the price of the device ready for mass-market.

Upscaling is only sort of important, not something people care about outside of enthusiasts. This feature will be increasingly less valued, as we are getting more 4K content. Then going to 8K, it's going to be even less important, because even if the TV did only bilinear, 4K content bilneared to 8K will still look pretty damn sharp

Madvr's most unique feature is the 3DLut.

Even in the case of Tonemapping, it's good, but as display hardware catches up, its benefit will again be eroded. It's also not so complicated a thing that the BIG-Hardware houses like Sony with their unlimited resources can't replicate. The Sony team sent people to the Madvr's demo booth for a reason, they're getting ready to bite you. It's not an act of comradery.

We're GOING Into a decade of Recession and potentially Depression.

Madshi with a small team can do all of the maintenance, and retail on a piece of PC software.

With hardware the only difference to their workload is an extra set of middlemen to cut in and manage..

With the Entire set of circumstances

It seems far more prudent to charge $50 a pop for Madvr PC version.

$50 You can sell that to almost anyone, $50 @ 1 million people is $50,000,000.

At $1000 a pop, you'd have to sell 50,000 units to match. Are there even 50,000 high end projectors sold each year. And how much is the middlemen's cut .

Can we even move these machines IN A RECESSION, when millenials have resorted to buying Soundbars instead of speaker systems. We're seeing a market for 75" TVs as low as $800.

The required consumer education to convince someone that a $1000 machine is going to make their image quality better is also enormous.

A great product with a bad business plan is still a treacherous road.

Last edited by tp4tissue; 31st March 2020 at 16:34.
tp4tissue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2020, 17:37   #58949  |  Link
wolfman2791

The money for an Envy is just crazy. Nobody is going to pay that much.
wolfman2791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2020, 19:03   #58950  |  Link
SirMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman2791 View Post
The money for an Envy is just crazy. Nobody is going to pay that much.
People on AVS Forum have already ordered it.
SirMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2020, 19:06   #58951  |  Link
SirMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp4tissue View Post
I think the whole crew needs to carefully think on this product.

Lumagen's sales are not that great. If they were, it wouldn't be so damn expensive. The fact that it has remained so expensive indicates the company is still doing low volume and has very little purchasing power to get the price of the device ready for mass-market.

Upscaling is only sort of important, not something people care about outside of enthusiasts. This feature will be increasingly less valued, as we are getting more 4K content. Then going to 8K, it's going to be even less important, because even if the TV did only bilinear, 4K content bilneared to 8K will still look pretty damn sharp

Madvr's most unique feature is the 3DLut.

Even in the case of Tonemapping, it's good, but as display hardware catches up, its benefit will again be eroded. It's also not so complicated a thing that the BIG-Hardware houses like Sony with their unlimited resources can't replicate. The Sony team sent people to the Madvr's demo booth for a reason, they're getting ready to bite you. It's not an act of comradery.

We're GOING Into a decade of Recession and potentially Depression.

Madshi with a small team can do all of the maintenance, and retail on a piece of PC software.

With hardware the only difference to their workload is an extra set of middlemen to cut in and manage..

With the Entire set of circumstances

It seems far more prudent to charge $50 a pop for Madvr PC version.

$50 You can sell that to almost anyone, $50 @ 1 million people is $50,000,000.

At $1000 a pop, you'd have to sell 50,000 units to match. Are there even 50,000 high end projectors sold each year. And how much is the middlemen's cut .

Can we even move these machines IN A RECESSION, when millenials have resorted to buying Soundbars instead of speaker systems. We're seeing a market for 75" TVs as low as $800.

The required consumer education to convince someone that a $1000 machine is going to make their image quality better is also enormous.

A great product with a bad business plan is still a treacherous road.
It may not be the best business plan, but I think we can agree that any of those plans is still better than what he has been doing for the last 10+ years, developing madvR for 0 money.
SirMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2020, 19:34   #58952  |  Link
Blackwalker

wait... i miss something i suppose!
madvr is closing?
i didnt check it for a while, work, family etc... whats happening?
Blackwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2020, 20:12   #58953  |  Link
SamuriHL

This is why I wish people would stop with the fear mongering because everything madshi says gets taken WAY out of context. What he said is that currently it's not yet known what the future holds for madvr. Previously he's said that there will always be a free version of madvr, but, his tone recently has changed because he now has business partners. Some people are taking the comments he made about not being sure yet what the future holds as doom and gloom and madvr is closing down. That has NOT been determined! There's a few factors to consider. One, madshi wants to continue madvr on the PC for one very good reason....the amount of testing that people put into it. There's a business case to be made there that allowing PC users to test out new functionality (even if it's limited compared to what ends up in the Envy) makes sense. Do you really want your customers that are paying 10 grand on a box to be your beta testers for new features? Now it may come down to a decision that they have to charge a fee for madvr going forward. But again, nothing has been decided and madshi has said that when the time is right (I.E. AFTER the public launch of Envy) then he and his business partners will discuss it.

TLDR: NO ONE, not even madshi, knows what the future holds for the free version of madvr. Anyone claiming otherwise is fear mongering.
Old 31st March 2020, 20:16   #58954  |  Link
VBB

Agree 100%
Old 31st March 2020, 22:49   #58955  |  Link
tp4tissue

Based on Madshi's post that Chros linked.

Paraphrase:
<<
Madshi's business partners do not want madshi to continue a full feature PC version, because , in the Partner's experience, Their Lumagen Hardware box sales TANKED , when a competing store began to sell Madvr equipped/specced HTPCs..

That is an extremely CLEAR statement. The MONEY when it comes to Hardware boxes REQUIRES Exclusivity, especially under their current pricing model.>>

I am merely stating that, given the Market and the certainty of the Recession, A Software Version will be easier to maintain, an easier sell, and doesn't require as much consumer education or live-middlemen.

It's not fear-mongering, we're following the money, that's the single thing a business responds to.

Last edited by tp4tissue; 31st March 2020 at 22:56.
tp4tissue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2020, 23:49   #58956  |  Link
SamuriHL

That's awesome selective quoting you got going on there but whatever. Continue to spread nonsense if you wish. I'm out.
Old 1st April 2020, 02:04   #58957  |  Link
ryrynz

No point in speculation, play the waiting game.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2020, 02:28   #58958  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
That's awesome selective quoting you got going on there but whatever. Continue to spread nonsense if you wish. I'm out.
What selective quoting. The partner stated very plainly and clearly their ACTUAL experience. Something that Actually happened, as the basis for why THEY do not want Madshi to maintain a full-featured PC version.
Old 1st April 2020, 03:25   #58959  |  Link
SamuriHL

Right, and you completely SKIPPED the part where madshi said that it was not HIS wish and something that they are going to discuss after the Envy is released. But whatever. There's no arguing with you and you'll continue to spread stupid nonsense so as I said, I'm out.
Old 1st April 2020, 06:05   #58960  |  Link
nsnhd

In term of what users want, which improvements you wish madVR could do in future ? I dont see that very clearly.
nsnhd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling