Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Closed Thread

Old 17th January 2006, 12:54   #121  |  Link
The Link

Is it intended behaviour that MP3 isn't supposed to be muxed into mp4 in MeGUI though it is standards compliant afaik? Or do I miss something here?

Old 17th January 2006, 13:08   #122  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
What about this for AviSynth script creation: rounding up autocropping to the nearest multiple of 16 when the 'retain anamorphic resolution...' checkbox is set, and remove all resizing in this situation. This would fulfill the intent of keeping the original resolution while not sacrificing compressibility.
But in the worst case it means cropping 28 pixels on both the horizontal and vertical axis. Is a little resizing not preferable over that?

Quote:
Is it intended behaviour
Yes
Old 17th January 2006, 13:21   #123  |  Link
dimzon
BeHappy/MeGUI developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom9
Yes
Why???
Old 17th January 2006, 13:29   #124  |  Link
berrinam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom9
But in the worst case it means cropping 28 pixels on both the horizontal and vertical axis. Is a little resizing not preferable over that?
That's only with a naive rounding algorithm. It's only ever going to over-crop by 14 pixels in x and 14 in y. I agree, it's still a fair bit, but perhaps just the option of it.

I agree with you that a little resizing is probably preferable, but maybe not everyone has the same preferences.
Old 17th January 2006, 23:00   #125  |  Link
handtruck

I've always wanted this feature in my encoder, but never bothered to ask...

I've been able to make a minor VB program on my own to do this, but it's very buggy. I want to make the second pass kbps a percentage of the kbps from the first pass (whether xvid, x264, etc).
I basically am looking for the best bang for my buck. Many people I see in these forums are in two camps: people who have to achieve a certain file size, and those who don't care about size. I want the best quality at the best file size. What I typically do is take the kbps generated by the first pass and make the second pass 50-70% of that. I am looking for a way to have that automatically generated for me.
In terms of programming (I am a low level intermediate in terms of ability), my main issue is running one pass, stopping to read the stats file (I wrote my own code for reading it, but I don't know how accurate it is) and calculating the kbps, and then starting a second pass. I try to make a .bat file with the mencoder commandline options, but can't figure out where in there to calculate from the stats file.
If this is something that can be done, that would be super.

Thanks!
Old 17th January 2006, 23:34   #126  |  Link
fogbav

1.Autoonlineupdate for all external Programs like in StaxRip ... very handy ...

2. Autoencode every TS-File in a special Directory when recording is finished ... after that delete TS and get a lot of free space back ...8)

Last edited by fogbav; 17th January 2006 at 23:36.
Old 17th January 2006, 23:57   #127  |  Link
berrinam

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtruck
I've always wanted this feature in my encoder, but never bothered to ask...

I've been able to make a minor VB program on my own to do this, but it's very buggy. I want to make the second pass kbps a percentage of the kbps from the first pass (whether xvid, x264, etc).
I basically am looking for the best bang for my buck. Many people I see in these forums are in two camps: people who have to achieve a certain file size, and those who don't care about size. I want the best quality at the best file size. What I typically do is take the kbps generated by the first pass and make the second pass 50-70% of that. I am looking for a way to have that automatically generated for me.
I really don't see the point of what you are asking for. For x264, anyway, what you seem to want is a way of making all your encodes with the same quality, yet have the increased efficiency that 2pass offers. In case you missed out on the hype, this is exactly what the --crf option offers: a constant rate factor, so it uses (almost) the same rate control algorithm as 2pass, but instead of a target bitrate, it uses a target quality, AND it does it in one pass. This seems really a better solution than what you are suggesting.

As to XviD, I don't know if there is such an option, but the question is simple enough: why use XviD when x264 exists?

Quote:
In terms of programming (I am a low level intermediate in terms of ability), my main issue is running one pass, stopping to read the stats file (I wrote my own code for reading it, but I don't know how accurate it is) and calculating the kbps, and then starting a second pass. I try to make a .bat file with the mencoder commandline options, but can't figure out where in there to calculate from the stats file.
Why read the stats file? Why not just take the size of the output and divide it by the number of frames, and then adjust the units? Anyway, as I said, this exercise seems fruitless.
Old 17th January 2006, 23:59   #128  |  Link
berrinam

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogbav
1.Autoonlineupdate for all external Programs like in StaxRip ... very handy ...
Hopefully that will come sometime. No promises, though.

Quote:
2. Autoencode every TS-File in a special Directory when recording is finished ... after that delete TS and get a lot of free space back ...8)
And how is MeGUI supposed to know when recording has finished?
Old 18th January 2006, 00:13   #129  |  Link
handtruck

Quote:
In case you missed out on the hype, this is exactly what the --crf option offers: a constant rate factor, so it uses (almost) the same rate control algorithm as 2pass, but instead of a target bitrate, it uses a target quality, AND it does it in one pass. This seems really a better solution than what you are suggesting.
I'll check that out.. Thanks. I did read many of the posts regarding crf and am going to try it out today.

Quote:
As to XviD, I don't know if there is such an option, but the question is simple enough: why use XviD when x264 exists?
Hey, I'm slowly transitioning here! Also, I play a lot of my videos on standalone DVD player.

Quote:
Why read the stats file? Why not just take the size of the output and divide it by the number of frames, and then adjust the units? Anyway, as I said, this exercise seems fruitless.
Well, when I do a first pass, there is no output (I could have used Full Quality First Pass in XVID-but didn't want to waste the time), so I had to read the stats file to get what it would have been, unless of course I'm missing something, which is very possible.
Old 18th January 2006, 00:16   #130  |  Link
berrinam

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtruck
Hey, I'm slowly transitioning here! Also, I play a lot of my videos on standalone DVD player.
Well if you are putting your videos onto DVD, you don't have as much freedom in your filesize then, do you?

Quote:
Well, when I do a first pass, there is no output (I could have used Full Quality First Pass in XVID-but didn't want to waste the time), so I had to read the stats file to get what it would have been, unless of course I'm missing something, which is very possible.
Oh yeah, I forgot that no file is output. Anyway, for x264 (I'm ignoring XviD here, because I don't use it, and I don't know enough about it), it prints the final bitrate to the screen, so you could just halve that.
Old 18th January 2006, 00:54   #131  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

handtruck, are you sure you don't want --crf (constant quality, not constant quant) encoding? Without a stats file the video won't quite be "optimal" but once you figure out what your preferred size/quality ratio is, the same crf value will always give you approximately the same ratio at nearly the same quality as a two-pass to the same size would.

Edit: blargh, too late.

Edit2: If you leave xvid's little vfw info window open while encoding (barely registers on cpu time), it'll show the bitrate as it goes, and the final bitrate at the end. (Along with the quant distribution if that interests you.)

Last edited by foxyshadis; 18th January 2006 at 00:58.
Old 18th January 2006, 02:11   #132  |  Link
handtruck

I just did a crf and it looks great.. Thanks to all.
I usually use the vfw window to determine the second pass for xvid, but I was looking for a way to do that without having to look at the screen (in a program)
Old 18th January 2006, 04:21   #133  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

Sure, try one of the ways to get bitrate in this thread. I use the commandline mediainfo whenever I need to get it into a script.
Old 18th January 2006, 05:15   #134  |  Link
Richard Berg
developer wannabe

Small request I've been meaning to put forth: an option to delete all unrelated files when no longer needed. Partial list:
*.stats
*.besweet.log
*.d2v
hfyu_*.avi
hfyu_*.avs

The default hotkeys need work. For instance, you can't copy parts of the logfile to the clipboard with ctrl+c because it'll bring up the Chapter Creator! Whatever alternatives we choose, they need to be documented on the Tools menu.

@berrinam: when pre-rendering, why -forceidx -noodml? As far as I can tell the -forceidx option only exists because old versions of mencoder didn't support OpenDML (AVI 2.0) and thus needed their own index hack to break the 2GB barrier. OpenDML has always been Avisynth's default mode for large AVI files.
Old 18th January 2006, 05:27   #135  |  Link
berrinam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Berg
@berrinam: when pre-rendering, why -forceidx -noodml? As far as I can tell the -forceidx option only exists because old versions of mencoder didn't support OpenDML (AVI 2.0) and thus needed their own index hack to break the 2GB barrier. OpenDML has always been Avisynth's default mode for large AVI files.
I have no idea, but from my tests with the most recent mencoder build by Celtic Druid, that is the only way that it worked for files > 2GB. If I didn't use that, the files would open in neither VDubMod nor AviSynth.
Old 18th January 2006, 06:01   #136  |  Link
Richard Berg
developer wannabe

ok
Old 18th January 2006, 06:14   #137  |  Link
ChronoCross
Does it really matter?

Ability to have custom icons for the tray. I know this is a stupid thing but it gives it even more visual appeal.
Old 18th January 2006, 06:39   #138  |  Link
berrinam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoCross
Ability to have custom icons for the tray. I know this is a stupid thing but it gives it even more visual appeal.
Perhaps.... wouldn't it be better if you design an icon and give it to us, and then we release that as the icon, so everyone has access to it? I said when I implemented the tray icon, that I'm only keeping that icon because I don't have a better one
Old 18th January 2006, 09:09   #139  |  Link
fogbav

Quote:

>>And how is MeGUI supposed to know when recording has finished?

Recording is finished when filesize is not increasing anymore .... schould be simple to code ....
Old 18th January 2006, 09:20   #140  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
they need to be documented on the Tools menu.
They are if you look at the designer.. why on earth they don't show up is beyond me. Aren't all temporary files deleted when setting the appropriate option in the settings? But that's one part where MeGUI needs to be available of all jobtypes again (just thinking ahead to more refactoring).

Quote:
Recording is finished when filesize is not increasing anymore .... schould be simple to code ....
You must be lucky to only record what has no ads.. most people first have to cut out ads from material they record.. so automatic encoding once recording has completed makes little sense.. you end up with ads that you can't just cut out anymore.. the cutting would need to be done before further processing.

And there's more.. there's a part in the todo list about TS files.. if you look at it you'll suddenly realize why automatic TS processing won't work.. we don't know which PIDs to extract and process to begin with. It could be that your TS has multiple audio or in the worst case, contains multiple TV channels.