Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Closed Thread

Old 13th March 2011, 15:52   #16581  |  Link
mr.duck
quack quack

MPC-HC software MPEG2 decoder has inferior image quality compared to others like Microsoft DTV decoder. I now know why. The decoder needs an option to force NV12 output colorspace. This is because NV12 is compulsory for vector adaptive de interlacing.

Slightly offtopic: I tried forcing NV12 using FFDShow. It says it is outputting "NV21, VU". Quality is excellent but does anyone know if NV21 is better/worse/same than NV12?
Old 13th March 2011, 16:02   #16582  |  Link
adam777

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.duck View Post
mpc-hc software mpeg2 decoder has inferior image quality compared to others like microsoft dtv decoder. I now know why. the decoder needs an option to force nv12 output colorspace. this is because nv12 is compulsory for vector adaptive de interlacing.

Slightly offtopic: I tried forcing nv12 using ffdshow. It says it is outputting "nv21, vu". Quality is excellent but does anyone know if nv21 is better/worse/same than nv12?
nv21, vu is nv12.

* EDIT *
Guess not?

Last edited by adam777; 13th March 2011 at 19:45.
Old 13th March 2011, 16:10   #16583  |  Link
mark0077

Thanks JanWillem32 regarding your feedback on by video jitter effect with certain files. Here is a screenshot of playback from one of these files with evr-cp. Even frame time correction doesn't seem to get me my perfectly flat green line back. As I say, playing many other content on my pc like m2ts, blu-rays, etc will show perfectly flat graph in evr-cp so I'm not sure how I can workaround this issue with the files I'm having issues with.

Any suggestions anyone, how to get rid of the green jitter in my video presentation graph above.
Old 13th March 2011, 17:12   #16584  |  Link
Ger

Quote:
MPC-HC software MPEG2 decoder has inferior image quality compared to others like Microsoft DTV decoder. I now know why. The decoder needs an option to force NV12 output colorspace. This is because NV12 is compulsory for vector adaptive de interlacing.
Try JanWillem32's test builds. The internal MPEG-2 decoder uses NV12 in those for me (EVR Custom). Make sure "Set interlaced flags..." is checked in the decoder properties. There may still be differences between how the respective auto algos flag frames in different decoders though, so I'd try a few decoders and pick the one you prefer for your content.

I'm still using ffdshow for MPEG-2 because the internal decoder and Microsoft doesn't support 4:2:2 sources, but most people probably don't have any of those anyway.

Quote:
Slightly offtopic: I tried forcing NV12 using FFDShow. It says it is outputting "NV21, VU". Quality is excellent but does anyone know if NV21 is better/worse/same than NV12?
Are you using an old ffdshow version? The tray icon says NV12 here if that's what you're referring to. Also, you shouldn't need to force NV12 anymore since build 3765. Resetting the output tab to default settings should be enough to get hardware deinterlacing. EVR renderers will reject YV12 for ATI cards and NV12 will be used. Nvidia cards with fairly recent drivers will use YV12, since they are much less picky and all deinterlacing methods work with many colorspaces with Nvidia hardware.

At least for Win7. I don't think anyone ever tested and reported WinXP (or Intel) behavior during the recent ffdshow changes, but I assume it will work pretty much the same.

Last edited by Ger; 13th March 2011 at 17:20.
Old 13th March 2011, 18:53   #16585  |  Link
mr.duck
quack quack

I thought I was using the latest FFDShow (beta 7 r3154). That's what it says is the current version on the ffdhow-tryouts page.

I just got a new version (r3771). It does indeed output NV12 now . I wish FFDShow had DXVA though. Without DXVA, my Radeon 5750 clocks up to full 3D clocks! I have to set clock speeds manually if I don't want that.

JanWillem32's test build just crashes for me
Old 13th March 2011, 19:10   #16586  |  Link
pirlouy
_

Quote:
I wish FFDShow had DXVA though
It does.
Old 13th March 2011, 19:24   #16587  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
I wish FFDShow had DXVA though. Without DXVA, my Radeon 5750 clocks up to full 3D clocks! I have to set clock speeds manually if I don't want that.
That doesnt make much sense. With DXVA, it would use the GPU even more, and less CPU, so the GPU is even more likely to clock up.
Old 13th March 2011, 19:27   #16588  |  Link
ceb

Quote:
Originally Posted by namaiki View Post
You could try create a custom resolution/mode, but someone else will have to guide you through that.
OK, but if I understood correctly we have the same problem:
Quote:
For me, I have an old CRT monitor set at 72Hz which I sometimes use since my laptop's inbuilt screen doesn't seem to support anything else but 60Hz (which isn't horrible - jitter is only noticable to me when the picture is sliding).
So it means there isn't any solution?
Even though I made a custom mode, it shouldn't work since my monitor works only at 60Hz.
I'm very confused.
Old 13th March 2011, 19:29   #16589  |  Link
hoborg

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_M_C View Post
Cannot download the sample anymore to verify, its been removed.
Here: http://rapidshare.com/files/452386185/Sample_PA2.zip

How to start with Bitcoin
Old 13th March 2011, 20:10   #16590  |  Link
Ger

I noticed with hoborg's mkv sample that "Title" in the information bar (seen above the status bar and below the controls in Aleksoid's screenshot a few posts up) is visible with the internal Matroska splitter when View->Information is checked, but not with LAV Splitter.
Old 13th March 2011, 20:16   #16591  |  Link
tetsuo55
MPC-HC Project Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirlouy View Post
Please, to all developers who do own builds, can you create a new thread with your builds, an explanation in the first post on what it's different, and the build number of MPC-HC when it is integrated in the core.
I remember of Beliyaal thread, that was a good solution.

Right now, posting your builds in this thread is not a good solution, you miss a lot of potential testers and this thread is unreadable. :/
i've asked JanWillem to turn the video renderer into a standalone .ax, that way people can simply replace the .ax to test new versions, and the main mpc-hc.exe does not have to be replaced.
Old 13th March 2011, 20:25   #16592  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ger View Post
I noticed with hoborg's mkv sample that "Title" in the information bar (seen above the status bar and below the controls in Aleksoid's screenshot a few posts up) is visible with the internal Matroska splitter when View->Information is checked, but not with LAV Splitter.
I don't care to expose such informations yet. I can add it at some point, if someone thinks its important.
Old 13th March 2011, 20:29   #16593  |  Link
Ger

I suppose it would be nice to get it working eventually, but no, I don't think it's top of anyones priority list.
Old 13th March 2011, 21:22   #16594  |  Link
Hera
.NET Web App Dev

Official build / latest official stable, (I can test older to see if they work maybe?)
- Uninstalling and reinstalling Matreshka stuff doesn't fix Haali either. (Are Haali settings somewhere in the registry? - to reset?) {XP Rig}

Jan's Latest build which breaks bilinear (PS 2.0) shader,
- Haali broken (no fallback renderer...) - just one image in the top right (quarter), copy of that image in the top left (quarter of screen), and the bottom half of the screen is green. {W7x64 rig}

Plz Fix!
I need to get my XP rig functional as ASAP - it is supposed to be my living room media center for SD and 720p playback.
Old 13th March 2011, 21:45   #16595  |  Link
mr.duck
quack quack

Quote:
It does.
MPEG2? No one does DXVA MPEG2 apart from commercial apps. The MPC HC one doesn't work with HD5000 series. Only HD6000 and up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
That doesnt make much sense. With DXVA, it would use the GPU even more, and less CPU, so the GPU is even more likely to clock up.
It's a dumb choice. The card goes to predefined clocks of 400/900 for GPU/Memory when DXVA is in use regardless of the workload. If you edit the card's BIOS you can change it to any value. Without DXVA it clocks up for performance reasons I guess.
Old 13th March 2011, 22:43   #16596  |  Link
G_M_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoborg View Post
Strange, i've got the same fluctuations in framerate you report. With both internal DTS decoder as ffdshow decoder on stereo.

My guess is that there is something wrong with the file.

If i still had installed all tools, i'd try EAC3to to rebuild the DTS, and use mkvtoolnix to extract the raw video/subtitles. Then i'd rebuild the whole MKV without using header compression to be sure.
Old 13th March 2011, 22:49   #16597  |  Link
hoborg

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_M_C View Post
Strange, i've got the same fluctuations in framerate you report. With both internal DTS decoder as ffdshow decoder on stereo.

My guess is that there is something wrong with the file.

If i still had installed all tools, i'd try EAC3to to rebuild the DTS, and use mkvtoolnix to extract the raw video/subtitles. Then i'd rebuild the whole MKV without using header compression to be sure.
Thanks for confirm.
The strange thing is, there is no problem if system default EVR renderer is in use.

How to start with Bitcoin
Old 13th March 2011, 23:56   #16598  |  Link
pirlouy
_

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsuo55 View Post
i've asked JanWillem to turn the video renderer into a standalone .ax, that way people can simply replace the .ax to test new versions, and the main mpc-hc.exe does not have to be replaced.
Ok.
But his changes still need another thread.
I just discovered another build (BE mod) by bobdynlan, Leo1000. It also should be in a separated thread. The same for xhmikosr's builds.

There are builds everywhere but no organisation. Difficult for users and developers...
Old 14th March 2011, 02:31   #16599  |  Link
vBm
MPC-HC Helper xD

Quote:
Ok.
But his changes still need another thread.
I just discovered another build (BE mod) by bobdynlan, Leo1000. It also should be in a separated thread. The same for xhmikosr's builds.

There are builds everywhere but no organisation. Difficult for users and developers...
XhmikosR's builds are official ones so there's no need for a separated thread for those. He's the one that does releases on SF page.
Old 14th March 2011, 07:56   #16600  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
MPEG2? No one does DXVA MPEG2 apart from commercial apps. The MPC HC one doesn't work with HD5000 series. Only HD6000 and up.
Thats because HD5000 does not support MPEG2 VLD Decoding, but MPC-HC supports it just fine. NVIDIA has been supporting it for years, too.

Don't blame the software if you have faulty hardware.

Tags
dxva, h264, home cinema, media player classic, mpc-hc