Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies

Old 11th January 2007, 09:27   #1  |  Link
bigcat

Strange problem with DVD movie

Hi people. I've read some things about IVTC but still cannot understand what's wrong with the movie i have. It's a chinese movie (or at least it was), quite fresh. DVD is NTSC, vob files are played on ~23.97 fps but in reality it's a 3:2 (inverse) pulldown. The problem is that video "freezes", but not with the constant frequency. There're no duplicate frames. Sometimes it plays well (for about 1 minute or less) and simetimes plays like bad IVTC. I've tried Decimate() with Telecine(), but they failed. It looks like some frames were just dropped, or maybe there was originally various fps or various field order. DGIndex says that system is 70..100% FILM, progressive - top field first.
What do you think i can do about this movie?
bigcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2007, 12:36   #2  |  Link
SallyDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcat View Post
What do you think i can do about this movie?
Take it back for a refund or exchange.
Old 11th January 2007, 12:50   #3  |  Link
bigcat

Nope. They say they don't excange any dvd's because people often buy them just to copy, exchange to get a new one, copy again, etc. But i'm not worrying about the money. It's the movie. Funny thing is that i've seen part of this movie in DivX and it had the same problem plus wrong field order.
Old 11th January 2007, 16:19   #4  |  Link
setarip_old

Hi!
Quote:
They say they don't excange any dvd's because people often buy them just to copy, exchange to get a new one, copy again, etc.
Surely, that would only be the case if you were trying to exchange it for a different Title. You are returning a DVD that doesn't play properly. The retailer has to be willing to exchange it for a new copy of the SAME Title...
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2007, 10:03   #5  |  Link
bigcat

There's no hope that another DVD with the same title will contain correctly encoded movie. Most people just take it as normal and try not to notice glitches especially when DVD is quite cheap, that's why there're almost no returns/exchanges in this area. Yeah. Well, this means it looks hopeless. But i'll try to do something about it.
Old 12th January 2007, 12:39   #6  |  Link
setarip_old

Quote:
Most people just take it as normal and try not to notice glitches especially when DVD is quite cheap, that's why there're almost no returns/exchanges in this area.
1) What is the Title and Region of the DVD?

2) Where is "this area"?
Old 12th January 2007, 16:59   #7  |  Link
bigcat

Title is "Kung-fu rumble", region 5. I think dvd was pirated, that's all. I think i broke some rules of this forum telling about this dvd, didn't i? By "this area" i ment places where cheap DVDs are sold. You'll ask me why i buy cheap DVDs - well we don't have any places in our city that sell expensive DVDs. So maybe most of them are pirated, maybe not, but we have no choice.
Old 12th January 2007, 17:00   #8  |  Link
bigcat

BTW, does anyone know which framerate was original for this movie&
Old 13th January 2007, 09:18   #9  |  Link
bigcat

I've done it! Now it plays much more smooth. All it took was
Code:
AssumeTFF()
Telecide()
ConvertToYUY2()
MultiDecimate(pass=2)
#or Decimate() maybe...
FieldDeinterlace()
Plus ignoring pulldown flags in DGIndex (this made movie go 29.97 fps) and setting Field Operation to 0. Movie was in 23.976 fps, then telecined to 29.97 fps, probably with wrong field order, then inverse pulldowned to 23.976. I don't know who could be so stupid to do that.
Old 13th January 2007, 16:18   #10  |  Link
setarip_old

Congratulations!

So, do you now have a corrected DVD, or an .AVI?
Old 13th January 2007, 18:26   #11  |  Link
bigcat

Yes, i have a corrected DVD which plays kind of smooth. The movie has A LOT of panning/panorama and sometimes it's not easy to differ trembling created by camera from trembling created by incorrect coding.
Instead of this script above, i also used SmartDecimate() and it worked even better, but because of hybrid material (progressive source the most time and interlaced on scenes showing text or photos) it creates dot crawl on these interlaced scenes. These scenes are only 0.1% of the movie and won't do much harm.

Note to self: NEVER DO THIS AGAIN.