Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors

Old 22nd January 2004, 19:38   #1  |  Link
2COOL
PGC Navigator in Training

2COOL’s guide to adding a “Insert Disc 2” clip

2COOL’s guide to adding a “Insert Disc 2” clip
Courtesy of
2CL

Tools I used
IFOedit 0.95/0.96
VobEdit 0.6

This works wonderfully for people who have splitted their movies with the first half on Disk 1 and the other half on Disk 2. It seems there's a demand for some who want a “Insert Disk 2” message at the end of first movie half so I'm providing a way to do it. When I first wrote this guide, it was originally for adding a blank cell at the end of a Title that didn’t have one. This would’ve helped on chapter skipping on last chapter. Then I realized that there was a more potential use by adding a “Insert Disc 2” message also.

Doom9 user geffroman has done a superb job on creating and providing some “Insert Disk 2” VOBs for us. Also, geffroman has offered to create custom still clips if possible and a real good example is The Lord of the Rings he created. You can view and download them here.

http://posunplugged.com/vobclips

Many thanks Jeff for your great clips and valuable beta-testing of my guide!

Code:

PGC_1 (program chain): [Title(TTN): 1] [00:29:15.01 / 30 fps] (Programs: 4) (Cells: 4) (uses VOB-IDs: 3)
  [Ch 01] [Pg 01] [Cell 01] [V/C Id:  3/ 1]   : time: 00:07:31.20 / 30 fps  [Pos: 00:07:31.20] [Frames: 13550]
  [Ch 02] [Pg 02] [Cell 02] [V/C Id:  3/ 2]   : time: 00:10:42.12 / 30 fps  [Pos: 00:18:14.02] [Frames: 32822]
  [Ch 03] [Pg 03] [Cell 03] [V/C Id:  3/ 3]   : time: 00:01:40.21 / 30 fps  [Pos: 00:19:54.23] [Frames: 35843]
  [Ch 04] [Pg 04] [Cell 04] [V/C Id:  3/ 4]   : time: 00:09:20.08 / 30 fps  [Pos: 00:29:15.01] [Frames: 52651]

In my example, I only have one PGC. Yours might contain multiple ones so in this step, write down the VTS_PGC_# that you want to add your “insert disk 2”.

PGC_#: ______
2. We’ll be doing some IFO editing in following steps so I highly recommended that you backup/save your IFOs and BUPs to another folder in case you mess up in editing. If you do then you can just copy the original IFOs and BUPs back over your badly edited ones and then click on “Get VTS Sectors” button for sector corrections.

Write this new number down.

(NEW) Number of VOBs in VTS_VOBS: _____

Here’s the before and after edit.

Code:
OLD > Number of VOBs in VTS_VOBS  4
NEW > Number of VOBs in VTS_VOBS  5
Also, we need to find out the next VOB ID so scroll down to the last VOB ID in this table. We don’t need to edit it but we do need to take this decimal value and increment by one. So in my example above, 5 will be our new VOB ID for our blank cell we will be inserting. Write this down.

New Cell VOB ID : ______
4. Now go to your PGC_# in / VTS_PGCITI / VTS_PGC_#. Increment the current “Number of Programs” and the “Number of Cells” by one. To do so, double left click on line and enter new value. For example...

Code:
OLD > Number of Programs        4
OLD > Number of Cells           4  

NEW > Number of Programs        5
NEW > Number of Cells           5
5. You’ll be doing a lot of window refreshing throughout this guide as IfoEdit doesn’t automatically refresh for you to see your edits so here’s a personal trick I do. Double click on “Show Reserved Values” checkbox located bottom left.

Code:
OLD > Program_4: Entry cell number         4
OLD > Program_5: Entry cell number         4

NEW > Program_5: Entry cell number         5

Code:
Cell_1: has VOB ID         3
Cell_1: has Cell ID        1
Cell_2: has VOB ID         3
Cell_2: has Cell ID        2
Cell_3: has VOB ID         3
Cell_3: has Cell ID        3
Cell_4: has VOB ID         3
Cell_4: has Cell ID        4
Cell_5: has VOB ID         #
Cell_5: has Cell ID        #

Remember in Step 3, we wrote down our New Cell VOB ID value? Well, that’s the value we will be using for Cell_5 here. Also, Cell_5 Cell ID will always be “1”. So, double click and change each ID accordingly.

Code:
NEW > Cell_5: has VOB ID         5
NEW > Cell_5: has Cell ID        1

8. We need to add configure our new cell as a new chapter so go to / PTT_SRPTI. Since we are working on PGC_1, we need to do some our edits in TTU_1. So if you were working on PGC_2, then TTU_2 is where you need to be. Anyway, this is what I have in TTU_1.

Code:
TTU_1 PTTs:		
    PTT_1: Program Chain number (PGCN)           1	
    PTT_1: Program number (PGN)                  1	
    PTT_2: Program Chain number (PGCN)           1	
    PTT_2: Program number (PGN)                  2	
    PTT_3: Program Chain number (PGCN)           1	
    PTT_3: Program number (PGN)                  3	
    PTT_4: Program Chain number (PGCN)           1	
    PTT_4: Program number (PGN)                  4
According to our New "Number of Programs" in Step 4, I have 5 programs now. In this table…
  • Number of chapters = Number of Programs

So since I have 5 programs in this example, I should have 5 chapters or PTTs (Part of Titleset Title). Got it? Good!

Now, if you have extra PTTs present, just right click on last PTT and select “Delete Chapter”. Keep repeating from the last PTT until your desired Number of chapters is achieved. So in this guide’s example, I would stop at 5 PTTs remaining.

If we initially had a lower amount of PTTs like 4, then we need to add a new PTT so that would it make it 5 PTTs, which is what we want. It’s easy, just right click on last PTT and select “Add chapter”.

At this point, we should have our desired number of PTTs (chapters) achieved so now we need to edit our last chapter’s values. See the pattern of our PTT_#’s values in example below? 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, and 1-4. Well if you haven’t figured it out, PTT_5 will be 1-5 so double click on values and change them accordingly.

Code:
TTU_1 PTTs:		
    PTT_5: Program Chain number (PGCN)           0
    PTT_5: Program number (PGN)                  1
This is our desired end results on what we should have.
Code:
TTU_1 PTTs:		
    PTT_5: Program Chain number (PGCN)           1
    PTT_5: Program number (PGN)                  5

Code:
Number of Title Play Maps: 1   (VMG_PTT_SRPT)		
   	  Title   1: VTS_01_*, TTN_1 (Angles: 1) (Chapters: 4) (Start Sector 8234)

My movie’s PGC_1 that we were editing was in my first Video TitleSet (VTS_01) so according to above, that’s my Title 1. TTN_1 means Titleset Title Number which is also my PGC_1 in VTS_01. We just need to know the Title # before going to next step. Go to your Title in question.

Code:
OLD > Title_1: Number of chapters (PTTs)    4
NEW > Title_1: Number of chapters (PTTs)    5

15. Since I was working on Titleset 1 (VTS_01), I’ll be dragging only my Titleset VOBs in to new folder. DO NOT drag any VTS_*_0.VOBs into your temp folder. These are Menu VOBs. So in my temp folder, I’ll have this now.

VTS_01_1.VOB
VTS_01_2.VOB

VTS_01_1.VOB > VTS_01_001.VOB
VTS_01_2.VOB > VTS_01_002.VOB

*.VOB > VTS_01_003.VOB

You should now have these in your temp subfolder.

VTS_01_001.VOB
VTS_01_002.VOB
VTS_01_003.VOB ("Insert disk 2" VOB)
18. Your VOB ID in VTS_01_003.VOB has a VOB ID of 1 and CELL ID of 1 or something different but anyways, we need to change that to reflect what we have for our new cell VOB ID in Step 7. To do that, open this VOB in VobEdit.
30. In Stream List window, click on “Check All” button. We need to keep everything! Click on “Strip it” button and process will start. If you want to process to speed up, drag the process window below your task bar. This is an IfoEdit trick.

continued on next post…

Last edited by 2COOL; 11th March 2004 at 19:15.
2COOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2004, 19:39   #2  |  Link
2COOL

Open your movie’s IFO and go to movie’s PGC. You know how to get there since you did it in Step 4.

Code:
Cell_#: still time (seconds, 0xFF = Infinite)
If you want your “Insert disk 2” to display indefinetly at end of movie, enter a value of 255 which is 0xFF. Other than that, insert a custom seconds time from anywhere from 1 to 254. Double click on line and change it. If left at zero, it will display the default time which is the same as your playback time (BCD) 2 lines down.

Last edited by 2COOL; 13th February 2004 at 23:43.
Old 30th January 2004, 13:05   #3  |  Link
magilvia

I think there's a great potential in this guide. Good work!
However I tryed to follow up this guide and I come across some difficulty. PLease try to write more dumb-proof / no-thinking-of instructions
For example:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Also, we need to find out the next VOB ID so scroll down to the last VOB ID in this table. We don’t need to edit it but if we increment this value by one, that’s our new VOB ID for our blank cell we will be inserting. Write this down.
Which table? What's the next VOB ID ? We don't need to edit what?
(sorry for my dumbness ). Please post an example.

These are my last lines in VTS_C_ADT
Code:
[00000028]   3. Cell: End sector   82153  [000140e9]
[0000002c]   4. Cell: VOB ID       4      [0004]
[0000002e]   4. Cell: Cell ID      1      [01]
[00000030]   4. Cell: Start sector 82154  [000140ea]
[00000034]   4. Cell: End sector   82208  [00014120]
My new VOB ID should be 5 ?
[0000002c] 4. Cell: VOB ID 4 <- THIS PLUS ONE ?

Quote:
My movie’s PGC_1 that we were editing was in my first Video TitleSet (VTS_01) so according to above, that’s my Title 1. TTN_1 means Titleset Title Number which is also my PGC_1 in VTS_01. We just need to know the Title # before going to next step. Go to your Title in question.
This means that from the line
Code:
Title   x: VTS_yy_*, TTN_z (Angles: ?) (Chapters: ?) (Start Sector ?)
We need to write down the number x given the titleset yy and the program chain number PGC_z

Is this correct ?

Finally two questions:
1)If I have 2 title in my VOB and I want to add a cell to title 1 I would end up with a VOB with cells of title 1 in the beginning than all cells of title 2 in the middle and finally the last inserted cell of title 1. Would this work ? In other words must cells of a title be in sequential order?
Does VobEdit do a reordering?

2) You have demonstrated how it is possible to add cells to an existing title. Did you experiment how to add a title to an existing titleset?

Thanks

Last edited by magilvia; 30th January 2004 at 15:01.
magilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2004, 20:43   #4  |  Link
2COOL

@magilvia

Quote:
I think there's a great potential in this guide. Good work!
Thanks!

Quote:
However I tryed to follow up this guide and I come across some difficulty. PLease try to write more dumb-proof / no-thinking-of instructions
I really do try to keep it simple and comprehensive as much as I can. I'll try to clear things up for you.

Let's start with Step 3 since you are having troubles with it. So here it is again.

Write this new number down.

(NEW) Number of VOBs in VTS_VOBS: _____

Here’s the before and after edit.
Code:
OLD > Number of VOBs in VTS_VOBS  4
NEW > Number of VOBs in VTS_VOBS  5
Also, we need to find out the next VOB ID so scroll down to the last VOB ID in this table. We don’t need to edit it but if we increment this value by one, that’s our new VOB ID for our blank cell we will be inserting. Write this down.

New Cell VOB ID : ______
For those who follow any of my previous guides, even though I don't state the word "table", I do provide where for you to go next. Go to /VTS_C_ADT. Since you are already are using IfoEdit, my first sentence in this step is to go to the VTS_C_ADT table.
Quote:
What's the next VOB ID ?
This table has Number of VOBs in VTS_VOBS. It's kinda of misleading as it doesn't refer to the number of actual VOBs your titleset has but the number of actual "VOB IDs". Regardless of Cell IDs, I'm talking about VOB IDs 1, 2,3,4, etc.

In this step, I mentioned to "scroll down to the last VOB ID in this table". So with your data you provided, I highlighted what is your "last VOB ID".
Code:
These are my last lines in VTS_C_ADT

[00000028]   3. Cell: End sector   82153  [000140e9]
[0000002c]   4. Cell: VOB ID       4      [0004]
[0000002e]   4. Cell: Cell ID      1      [01]
[00000030]   4. Cell: Start sector 82154  [000140ea]
[00000034]   4. Cell: End sector   82208  [00014120]

Like said in my step, "We don’t need to edit it but if we increment this value by one, that’s our new VOB ID for our blank cell we will be inserting. Write this down."
I'm going to rephrase this later on but again, you don't need to edit the highlighted line, just document the incremation of 1 for your last VOB ID's value, which for you, is 5.
Quote:
My new VOB ID should be 5 ?
[0000002c] 4. Cell: VOB ID 4 <- THIS PLUS ONE ?
Correct!

Your next question pertains to Step 10.

Quote:
This means that from the line
Code:
Title   x: VTS_yy_*, TTN_z (Angles: ?) (Chapters: ?) (Start Sector ?)
We need to write down the number x given the titleset yy and the program chain number PGC_z

Is this correct ?
That is correct.

Quote:
Finally two questions:
1)If I have 2 title in my VOB and I want to add a cell to title 1 I would end up with a VOB with cells of title 1 in the beginning than all cells of title 2 in the middle and finally the last inserted cell of title 1. Would this work ?
You make it sound as if the last inserted cell ("Insert disk 2"), is put into a separate PGC or another title. If you had followed the guide, your "Insert disk 2" cell will be added only at the end of Title 1.

Quote:
In other words must cells of a title be in sequential order?
Not really. If you notice on some DVDs, they are authored to use a single cell as dummy blank cell. Instead of making multiple copies, they are put into where ever they need to be in a titleset. You could have this cell in multiple PGCs if you wanted it.
Quote:
Does VobEdit do a reordering?
No. When you use the "Join CellVob files" option in Step 22, VobEdit does NOT reorder your existing VOB and Cell IDs. The "join clips" option does that.

Quote:
2) You have demonstrated how it is possible to add cells to an existing title. Did you experiment how to add a title to an existing titleset?
Not yet.

I see if I can try to make the guide a little more understanding and update where necessary. This guide does work as me, geffroman, and some local friends, have successfully performed it. Let me know if you got success this time.

Last edited by 2COOL; 30th January 2004 at 23:46.
Old 30th January 2004, 23:42   #5  |  Link
magilvia

Yeah, I've succeded in adding one of the geffroman authored VOB!!!
Really great work!

Anyway I would like to add personalized VOBs but neither VOBs from other DVD nor VOBs authored by me with IfoEdit or Maestro would work. It seems that all gets screwed up with titles playing consecutively one after each other and the new insert cell never gets to play.

Is there a special trick for creating usable VOBS ?

Thanks again
Old 3rd February 2004, 03:51   #6  |  Link
mook8515

Hi, I attempted to insert an LOTR Two Towers "please insert disc 2" VOB downloaded from the link you posted. I followed all your steps, but at the end when I try to burn it in nero, I get the following message:

DVD-Video files reallocation failed. The resulting DVD-Video might be unplayable. Do you want to continue?

I tried burning and the DVD didn't work. Do you know where I could have possibly messed up? I've tried the steps numerous times. There are so many steps that I really don't know where something must have went wrong. I can send you pictures of my screen on any step I did. Thanks for the help and good job on the guides. I succesful used your subtitle guide a while ago.

P.S. Here is a step (step 7) I thought looked awkward and could possible be a problem (the following is what my screen looked like):

Cell_1: has VOB ID 1
Cell_1: has Cell ID 1
Cell_24: has VOB ID 1
Cell_24: has Cell ID 24
Cell_25: has VOB ID 1
Cell_25: has Cell ID 25
Cell_26: has VOB ID 1
Cell_26: has Cell ID 26
Cell_27: has VOB ID 1
Cell_27: has Cell ID 27
Cell_28: has VOB ID 2
Cell_28: has Cell ID 1
mook8515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2004, 05:33   #7  |  Link
mook8515

On step 15 it says put in
VTS_01_1.VOB
VTS_01_2.VOB
into the temp folder

My VOBS are VTS_01_0.VOB to VTS_01_6.VOB

Would I put all 7 vobs into the temp folder in my case?

I'm confused on why you put vobs 1 and 2, don't you always have a vob 0?
Old 3rd February 2004, 05:43   #8  |  Link
2COOL

Quote:
Originally posted by mook8515
On step 15 it says put in
VTS_01_1.VOB
VTS_01_2.VOB
into the temp folder

My VOBS are VTS_01_0.VOB to VTS_01_6.VOB

Would I put all 7 vobs into the temp folder in my case?

I'm confused on why you put vobs 1 and 2, don't you always have a vob 0?
All VTS_*_0.VOBs and VIDEO_TS.VOB are MENU VOBs. We don't need to include the menu VOBs, just the movie VOBs.

For you in step 15, you should have this in your temp folder before renaming.

VTS_01_1.VOB
VTS_01_2.VOB
VTS_01_3.VOB
VTS_01_4.VOB
VTS_01_5.VOB
VTS_01_6.VOB

Step 16 should have you renaming them to...

VTS_01_001.VOB
VTS_01_002.VOB
VTS_01_003.VOB
VTS_01_004.VOB
VTS_01_005.VOB
VTS_01_006.VOB

Step 17 had you adding your "Insert disc 2" VOB and renaming as well

VTS_01_001.VOB
VTS_01_002.VOB
VTS_01_003.VOB
VTS_01_004.VOB
VTS_01_005.VOB
VTS_01_006.VOB
VTS_01_007.VOB ("Insert disc 2")

Last edited by 2COOL; 3rd February 2004 at 05:47.
Old 3rd February 2004, 08:46   #9  |  Link
2COOL

Last edited by 2COOL; 3rd February 2004 at 08:55.
Old 3rd February 2004, 10:50   #10  |  Link
magilvia

Quote:
DVD-Video files reallocation failed. The resulting DVD-Video might be unplayable
It is true that we don't need empty menu vob like VTS_02_0.VOB, VTS_03_0.VOB... but the error in Nero is caused by those files missing. I suggest you to check if they're present in the orginal movie and to copy back to the new dvd folder. This way the error should be gone.

Plese 2cool answer to this:
Old 4th February 2004, 00:34   #11  |  Link
mook8515

Success!

Thanks for the help. I am now going to try to add the screen to The Fellowship of the Ring.

EDIT: FOTR was a success also.

Do you suggest anything else I should do to the DVD's. I've already done "subtitle off" and "insert disc 2".

Last edited by mook8515; 4th February 2004 at 03:06.
Old 4th February 2004, 06:31   #12  |  Link
2COOL

@magilvia

Quote:
Originally posted by magilvia
It is true that we don't need empty menu vob like VTS_02_0.VOB, VTS_03_0.VOB... but the error in Nero is caused by those files missing. I suggest you to check if they're present in the orginal movie and to copy back to the new dvd folder. This way the error should be gone.
The "DVD-Video files reallocation failed. The resulting DVD-Video might be unplayable." message that mook8515 got from Nero resulted from including the Menu VOBs during the joining process.

Quote:
Plese 2cool answer to this:
I'm not trying to avoid you on this as I honestly don't have an answer. I know what you are saying but I still haven't figured out how to fix the problem. A perfect DVD example is Scooby-Doo meets Batman Region 1. During my earlier days of backups, this was a problem DVD for me and still is. It had a VTS_02_0.VOB and VTS_03_0.VOB and both were at 0 KB. Nero hates files under 2 KB. Even viewing them in VobEdit resulted in no data. I mean, there was no detection of VOB data so I had nothing in my left pane. I tried a few tricks recently but no go. Sorry, for the moment, I'm still stumped on this situation.
Old 4th February 2004, 06:34   #13  |  Link
2COOL

@mook8515

Quote:
Originally posted by mook8515
Success!

Thanks for the help. I am now going to try to add the screen to The Fellowship of the Ring.

EDIT: FOTR was a success also.
Great!

Quote:
Do you suggest anything else I should do to the DVD's. I've already done "subtitle off" and "insert disc 2".
Besides having your second disk starting off with movie instead of menu first...not really.

I know this guide may have been a steep learning curve for you but after some proficiency, it's really easy to do now, right?

Last edited by 2COOL; 4th February 2004 at 08:03.
Old 4th February 2004, 08:44   #14  |  Link
magilvia

Yesterday I was working on Harry Potter the Philosopher stone (italian version) and I got the "DVD-Video files reallocation failed. The resulting DVD-Video might be unplayable." error, even if all file where present. I solved it by using the "Vob-extras" feature of Ifoedit, with "Strip VOB IDs" checked but without actually stripping anything.
Hope this could help.
Old 4th February 2004, 08:46   #15  |  Link
2COOL

Quote:
Originally posted by magilvia
Yesterday I was working on Harry Potter the Philosopher stone (italian version) and I got the "DVD-Video files reallocation failed. The resulting DVD-Video might be unplayable." error, even if all file where present. I solved it by using the "Vob-extras" feature of Ifoedit, with "Strip VOB IDs" checked but without actually stripping anything.
Hope this could help.
That was one of the tricks I used on Scooby Doo but used Menu Extras instead. It still didn't work for me but I would suggest this method anyway as I have in the past with others. This is what I refer to as "mock-stripping", stripping but keeping all IDs.
Old 5th February 2004, 05:03   #16  |  Link
mook8515

Quote:
I know this guide may have been a steep learning curve for you but after some proficiency, it's really easy to do now, right?
Yeah, I breezed through the procedure in FOTR and almost got it first try. Only mistake I did was accidentally make the still image infinite time on cell 1 instead of cell 28 (the last cell).
Old 11th March 2004, 15:19   #17  |  Link
violao

Quote:
Originally posted by 2COOL
...It had a VTS_02_0.VOB and VTS_03_0.VOB and both were at 0 KB. Nero hates files under 2 KB. Even viewing them in VobEdit resulted in no data. I mean, there was no detection of VOB data so I had nothing in my left pane. I tried a few tricks recently but no go. Sorry, for the moment, I'm still stumped on this situation.
North by Northwest Region 2 - exactly the same situation: 0 KB "menu" vobs. I feed the output of IfoEdit to DVD Shrink backup mode and it simply ignored those 2 "fake" menus. Nero 6.0.0.11 didn't complain.

I did the test and tried to burn the original files and Nero complained with "reallocation failed". Then I simply deleted 2 empty files and "get VTS sectors" and Nero didn't complain. I burned the disk ant it plays fine on either standalone and with PowerDVD. But I have one of those new Chinese standalones that play everything you put into them, so I guess it's not quite a reference.

I need to add that I stripped few audio/subtitle streams and ripped off intro/warning using blank replacement vobs, so the result has exactly the same number of vobs as the original.
violao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2004, 22:04   #18  |  Link
geffroman

NEW Clips...

Hi gang... I got a little behind on time to do video clips because I needed to rebuild my site to better manage the demand and redo all the current clips to improve quality and add PAL into the mix...

In fact each download has 8 versions in one ZIP file:

1) - Insert Disc 2 to Continue... NTSC & PAL
2) - Insert Disc 3 to Continue... NTSC & PAL
3) - Insert Next Disc to Continue... NTSC & PAL
4) - This Item Has Been Removed NTSC & PAL

I have new ones up now... and have automated the process entirely so requests for custom clips can be handled pretty quickly...

Sorry for delaying those that have been asking... Free Clips Page

Cheers...

Last edited by geffroman; 22nd March 2004 at 07:27.
geffroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2005, 22:15   #19  |  Link
USiT

Change order

I want to add a intro to my already authord dvd. Can i use this guide for that? I dont want to loose my menus, just add a intro before the menu. If so how should i do this?

thx
USiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2005, 01:00   #20  |  Link
sweetness

@USiT
easiest way is to open your dvd with PgcEdit and select the Macro menu and then Import First-Play (startup). it then will ask if you want to pause(still clip) or not to pause (animated clip) pick what you want to do, then Copy VOB and save dvd.
see if that works.