Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 1st May 2002, 16:07   #21  |  Link
Koelsch

Quote:
Originally posted by Gawen

I think there is not even a server needed, a html file called by windows autostart ini generating a file://|cdrom|/XCD/... URL included in an object tag by JS should be enough.

i think a server is needed to stream the data from Riff/CDXA File Source.

Another way would be (don´t know if this can work), to write a second Filter RIFF/CDXA File Source Streaming with another GUID which is able to Stream Data as Server (with no Output Pin).When this Filter is added to the Graph,it automatically calls Graphbuilder.AddsourceFilter(HTTPFileFromRIFFStreamer).But, i don´t know ,when IMediaSeeking is called, how this will affect the RIFF CDXA FileSource Streamer.This method also maybe break adding Autoload Filters like DVobSub (Autoloading) and some others.
Another thing is, that Dext must implement an option to choose whether the File Source or the File Streamer should be used.

BTW, using a server may also result in creating a temporary file (i´m not sure about that)

What i´ve forgot is, that GraphBuilder.RenderFile(HTTPFileFromRIFFStreamer) may also work, but i´m not sure if this will destroy the RIFF File Streamer.if this works, then there should be no problem with autoloading filters.

Regards
Koelsch

Last edited by Koelsch; 1st May 2002 at 18:31.
Koelsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2002, 17:00   #22  |  Link
int 21h
Still Laughing

I modified the command line tool so that you can specify volume name and file output target name... This code is real rough, I don't have a compiler here to test it completely, but I am 99% sure it will work in its current form, only thing I am unsure of is the way I have volume name as a global. So that may need to be changed. Anyways, compile it, and see what happens, but I'm sure at least the file output option is there, also the foundation for adding more options is there, because of the primitive parser I setup.

http://www.missouri.edu/~alb70e/xcd.src.rar
int 21h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2002, 22:24   #23  |  Link
raistlin2k

XCD & microDVD

Just a small question, more related to CD-burning than to XCD itself.

Is it possible to burn this XCD in a multisession-CD,
so that I can place my graphedit-files and the mdvd.ini (both required by MicroDVD Player) in a mode1-session and the xcd in a mode2 session?

Is this possible?
Thanks
Raist
Old 1st May 2002, 22:32   #24  |  Link
spyder
Matroska Developer

After I thought about it I bet Microsoft has locked the WMV & WMA decoder filters to use only the WM Source filter. That's probably why it will not work with the CDXA filter. Adding the extra zeroes to the end may be what's causing some incompatibilities.
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2002, 23:04   #25  |  Link
avih
Capture, Deinterlace

Re: XCD & microDVD

Quote:
Originally posted by raistlin2k
Just a small question, more related to CD-burning than to XCD itself.

Is it possible to burn this XCD in a multisession-CD,
so that I can place my graphedit-files and the mdvd.ini (both required by MicroDVD Player) in a mode1-session and the xcd in a mode2 session?

Is this possible?
Thanks
Raist
you can try. i don't recommend this however, since your file might not play in the future because there's no error correction. also, the current imaging tool doesn't support the xcd spec, so it won't be compatible with xcd players in the future.

Last edited by avih; 1st May 2002 at 23:08.
avih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2002, 00:00   #26  |  Link
int 21h
Still Laughing

Re: Re: XCD & microDVD

Quote:
Originally posted by avih

you can try. i don't recommend this however, since your file might not play in the future because there's no error correction. also, the current imaging tool doesn't support the xcd spec, so it won't be compatible with xcd players in the future.
Technically, there is no complete spec to support. I for one would like to see an initial simpler version of the spec for completeness sake with reserved folders/bytes for future expansion, instead of trying to think of all of these possiblities now. That way work can begin on true imaging tools with error correction to compensate where the container does not.
Old 2nd May 2002, 00:05   #27  |  Link
DeXT

@wing1: well the GUI is not one of my priorities since I want first to have a working and full-featured Mode2 CD imaging tool. Anyways the source is open so anyone can build a GUI version out of it.

@Gawen: yes mixed form1/form2 is needed to do what you are aiming for (I want to add support for this in the next release), but for the autoboot feature we need to build a "El Torito" compatible CD. This spec allows to burn a disk image along with the CD image which is loaded by the computer the same way as a boot disk. This feature is exploited by all Windows installation CDs as well as some Linux distros. The problem is, I'll have to find exact info about this format and try to implement it on my tool, so this is not currently a high priority task.

@Koelsch: I agree with you, seems ASF/WMV uses its own File Source filter so a new filter would be needed, and due to the past troubles in the Open Source community related to the ASF file format (see VirtualDub History) definately I'm not going to do this.

About the HTTP server built into the filter, well this is a cool idea but anyways it's a low priority for me, since this is only needed for closed, propietary technologies support such as WMV and RM. But as I said the source is open so anyone can start experimenting with this.

@int 21h: thank you very much for posting your modification. I was thinking in working on this once I am finished with the DSF, but your work will make my life much easier

What I want to be implemented in the next version is exactly the following:

mode2cdmaker -v XCD -e DAT -f autorun.inf -m movie1.avi -o image

-v volume name
-o output image base name (*.bin, *.toc, *.cue)
-f add form1 files
-m add movie files (form2)
-e default extension for form2 (riff/cdxa) files

And in the next one add better support for form1 files so you can add subdirectories and the like. This will help to make a full featured extended CD format for test purposes without the need for a specifically compiled version.

@raistlink2k: I'm not sure about this but you can try do do the following: in CDR-WIN burn the BIN image leaving an open sesion. Then load Nero and try to add a new session. I'm not sure if Nero will be able to recognize it and if it will maintain the XA file flags in the new ISO track.

Last edited by DeXT; 2nd May 2002 at 00:46.
DeXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2002, 00:25   #28  |  Link
avih
Capture, Deinterlace

Re: Re: Re: XCD & microDVD

Quote:
Originally posted by int 21h

Technically, there is no complete spec to support. I for one would like to see an initial simpler version of the spec for completeness sake with reserved folders/bytes for future expansion, instead of trying to think of all of these possiblities now. That way work can begin on true imaging tools with error correction to compensate where the container does not.
that indeed is the target atm.
Old 2nd May 2002, 02:06   #29  |  Link
int 21h
Still Laughing

Quote:
Originally posted by DeXT
@wing1: well the GUI is not one of my priorities since I want first to have a working and full-featured Mode2 CD imaging tool. Anyways the source is open so anyone can build a GUI version out of it.

@Gawen: yes mixed form1/form2 is needed to do what you are aiming for (I want to add support for this in the next release), but for the autoboot feature we need to build a "El Torito" compatible CD. This spec allows to burn a disk image along with the CD image which is loaded by the computer the same way as a boot disk. This feature is exploited by all Windows installation CDs as well as some Linux distros. The problem is, I'll have to find exact info about this format and try to implement it on my tool, so this is not currently a high priority task.

@Koelsch: I agree with you, seems ASF/WMV uses its own File Source filter so a new filter would be needed, and due to the past troubles in the Open Source community related to the ASF file format (see VirtualDub History) definately I'm not going to do this.

About the HTTP server built into the filter, well this is a cool idea but anyways it's a low priority for me, since this is only needed for closed, propietary technologies support such as WMV and RM. But as I said the source is open so anyone can start experimenting with this.

@int 21h: thank you very much for posting your modification. I was thinking in working on this once I am finished with the DSF, but your work will make my life much easier

What I want to be implemented in the next version is exactly the following:

mode2cdmaker -v XCD -e DAT -f autorun.inf -m movie1.avi -o image

-v volume name
-o output image base name (*.bin, *.toc, *.cue)
-f add form1 files
-m add movie files (form2)
-e default extension for form2 (riff/cdxa) files

And in the next one add better support for form1 files so you can add subdirectories and the like. This will help to make a full featured extended CD format for test purposes without the need for a specifically compiled version.

@raistlink2k: I'm not sure about this but you can try do do the following: in CDR-WIN burn the BIN image leaving an open sesion. Then load Nero and try to add a new session. I'm not sure if Nero will be able to recognize it and if it will maintain the XA file flags in the new ISO track.
Yea... I was looking at my source some more, and its got issues, the string code I've got in there is all messed up, so don't use too much of that... I think instead of just that quick hack and slash I had earlier, it requires some function additions and modifications, especially for the volume thing. I'm still looking at it now though. The parsing code works fine though
Old 2nd May 2002, 15:43   #30  |  Link
nah
RV9 Convaincu !

Hello,
I've developped a GUI in VB to use with the cool tool 'xcd maker' for my own (cause this version is far from good to distribute), but I would like to share it (attached with the post).
I would like to post the prg in my web page but I cannot access the the ftp (www.multimania.fr/zorgzorg).
So I'm waiting for final XCD implementation to begin to burn my avi. Since then, I continue to play with the sources.
Thank you Dext and avih and others for this great tool !

PS : my web page is in french !
Old 2nd May 2002, 16:13   #31  |  Link
Gawen

@DeXT
So you said you need info about "El Torito"? I love providing info since i am not a c programmer. (Wished i were.)

The "El Torito" Specs:
http://www.phoenix.com/PlatSS/PDFs/specs-cdrom.pdf

From mkisofs docs:

Switch -b specifies the path and filename of the boot image to be used when making an "El Torito" bootable CD.
The pathname must be relative to the source path specified to mkisofs.
Required to make a bootable CD. The boot image must be exactly the size of either a 1.2, 1.44, or a 2.88 meg floppy.
The specs say it could also emulate a HD.

mkisofs "El Torito" c source:
http://www.openbsd.esec.com.au/ftp/s...ofs/eltorito.c

cdrecord / mkisofs win32 binaries:
ftp://ftp.fokus.gmd.de/pub/unix/cdre...-win32-bin.zip

cdrecord / mkisofs homepage:
http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/...e/mkisofs.html

Last edited by Gawen; 2nd May 2002 at 16:35.
Gawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2002, 16:32   #32  |  Link
avih
Capture, Deinterlace

Quote:
Originally posted by nah
Hello,
I've developped a GUI in VB to use with the cool tool 'xcd maker' for my own (cause this version is far from good to distribute), but I would like to share it (attached with the post).
I would like to post the prg in my web page but I cannot access the the ftp (www.multimania.fr/zorgzorg).
So I'm waiting for final XCD implementation to begin to burn my avi. Since then, I continue to play with the sources.
Thank you Dext and avih and others for this great tool !

PS : my web page is in french !
1. i get 404 when tryingh to access this page.

2. the work done so far is COMPLETELY standard and general (standard mode2 form 2 files on standard iso 9660 filesystem). i suggest not reminding anything about XCD yet, since XCD will be an enhancements (in many ways) of the currently available tools. i suggest that the code name for the current work will be "mode 2 form 2 storage and playback system". if you'll mention xcd, people that are not familiar with the subject as much as you are, might be confused. since it's NOT XCD YET.

i also suggest that you'll add as much warnings as you can, both on the web page and your application. (you don't wanna get sued because someone used your tool, and the single copy of his grandma pasha video, which was taken just before she died, will not play anymore, do u?)

you could include this info for example:

"These are 'proof of concept' tools that show that it's possible to store and read on the fly 800M files from 80Mins CDs. (using standard mode 2 form 2 iso 9660 filesystem).

as much as it's a good proof, it still suffers from MAJOR drawbacks:

1. The file might get corrupted very easily, since there's no error correction. it's very likely that your favorite birthday clip will not play next week if you'll burn it using these tools. (yes, even if you use 'protected' containers such as ogg)

2. These tools are not supported by the developers except for testing and bug reports. the developers also stress as much as possible that you should not make REAL archive using these tools.

3. the developers are planning a new system, called XCD, that will try to overcome the problems noted above, and offer even more features (like playlists and menu system). BUT untill XCD is available, there's no 'safe' way to store 800M files on 80Mins CDs.

if you want further info about XCD, check Doom9 forum and the following threads:
<here u put links to this thread and others related to XCD>
"

ok?

avi
Old 2nd May 2002, 17:13   #33  |  Link
nah
RV9 Convaincu !

Hi Avih,

Ok, I understand
Sorry for the 404 error, I can't acces myself to the webpage.
Hope the moderator doesnt post my attach file. I will rename the prg and fill many warning as possible.
Thanks
Old 2nd May 2002, 17:24   #34  |  Link
int 21h
Still Laughing

How is work progressing on a basic implementation of the spec? (i.e. just error correction, general notes, etc.) It's pretty important so that we can implement the correct tools to produce these images, and then do some wider scale beta testing with the tools to uncover any bugs that may not have been considered yet.
Old 2nd May 2002, 22:05   #35  |  Link
nah
RV9 Convaincu !

Hope that noone have downloaded my previous attachment.
The program is now on my web page :
http://membres.lycos.fr/zorgzorg
Hope that XCD become true because I have some 800 Mb movies waiting in my HDD !
Old 2nd May 2002, 23:50   #36  |  Link
spyder
Matroska Developer

I don't know how interesting this is to many of you but I have almost completed a new Java InputStream Class that will read from one of these files seamlessly to the program, just like any other file. I hope to make this an option fro Java Media Players. A question though, these RIFF headers, are they only Windows related or do the files read the same on any other OS with support for Mode-2/Form-2?? I need to know what kind of structure the files would have on Linux for example.
Old 3rd May 2002, 09:23   #37  |  Link
ChristianHJW

@Spyder :

milkman_dan ( Jon H., he is dev member of MCF, check http://sourceforge.net/projects/mcf ) and Mark Willberg are both working on Java based programs for MCF and/or Ogg.

Mark can be reached via the powerdivx.com Forums, nick 'mwillberg' . If i remember correctly he was working on a java based MCF parser. milkman_dan is coding a MCF muxing/editing tool based on java called '-gemma', so both might be very interested in your code. I Guess milkman is registered here also, not sure ....
Old 3rd May 2002, 22:00   #38  |  Link
spyder
Matroska Developer

Thanks Christian, I would really like to be a part of this project if they need help. Unfortuanately I don't have time to cantact anyone today and my time will be limited for the next 2 weeks until school is out. After that though I will have plenty time and I actually was thinking about making an Ogg Muxer and Demuxer and maybe MCF later on. I will talk to them as soon as I get a chance or they can contact me at spyder482@yahoo.com If they see this.
Old 4th May 2002, 11:51   #39  |  Link
DeXT

@Gawen: thanks a lot for the info, I found it very interesting and I think I can implement boot CD support in a future version. BTW it's fully backward compatible so it does not cause any VCD compatibility issue, the same as Joliet (both make use of additional Volume Descriptor entries).

@int 21h: there is no base implementation yet, the XCD specs are still in design phase. Of course any help on this subject is welcomed!

@nah: thank you very much for your contrib, it's a simple but cool GUI. I couldn't make it work (it says no destination path is defined and I cannot enter one) but it's nice

@spyder: I think this is an extremely interesting contribution, it can help to add support for RIFF/CDXA files in Java apps out-of-the-box. I think it would be desirable to put this into the XCD sourceforge CVS repository (I'm going to put my tools here too).
DeXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2002, 16:38   #40  |  Link
Gawen

@DeXT

Your welcome. I am far from being worlds greatest hacker, but i am a usable supporter. I have a multi controller cd automounting static linux kernel binary ready to run and a static multiformat multicodec version of mplayer. The kernel will fit on a 2.88 floppy image, together with some support tools, but the player binary is 5 MB in size. What would you prefer, creating a larger hd emu image or putting the player on the ISO 1 track of an XCD in a dir like bin for instance? Placing the player in XCD-Root:/BIN would be more flexible, because the content could then be made autoplayable in linux without needing an additional player or booting. Mplayer supports Div3/4/X/MPEG-X muxed with PCM/AC3/MP2/MP3/AAC in MPEG-Streams, AVI, OGG, MOV, MP4... (plus numberless formats and codecs i forgot because of their lesser importance for me).

I need to know for doing some tests. Will simulate a future version of XCD by unpacking and repacking of the XCD tracks with mkisofs. By the way: XCD tracks are mountable with cdfs under linux. On success i will post a link to an autoboot/autoplay iso based on XCD.

Last edited by Gawen; 4th May 2002 at 17:00.
Gawen is offline   Reply With Quote