Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 27th March 2012, 23:03   #10141  |  Link
Traps

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
As a side note, the 301.10 NVIDIA driver seems to have fixed the MPEG4-ASP problems, at least it works on my new GTX680.
If you have a DGDecNV licence, could you do this benchmark with your new GTX680 and post the results there please? I'm really interested how the card performs for decoding.
Traps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2012, 23:05   #10142  |  Link
LordX2

Thanks for the quick reply Mindbomb.

FFDshow audio encodes true-hd to regular AC3. And you can set it to only encode 5.1 streams (so it doesn't hit every 2 channel file).

I have it installed as well, and can switch back to it if I need it for a file.

Was just wondering.

Thanks again!
LordX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2012, 02:53   #10143  |  Link
nx6
Playing with MKV files...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidi0us View Post
Hi guys,
Is there a way to change the default subtitle if there are multiple subs with the same language?

I'm using PotPlayer 1.5.32772 with LAV Filters 0.49.
One workaround for this is for the encoder to label the subs to specify what audio track it's meant to be used with.

So the subtitle track that includes dialog and signs would be marked as a "Japanese" subtitle track (or whatever the original audio language is), even though the subs themselves are English. And the other sub track would be labeled "English" because it's meant to be utilized with the English audio dub.

But then this causes problems if your preferred subtitle settings specify English over Japanese.
Old 28th March 2012, 03:24   #10144  |  Link
mindbomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordX2 View Post
FFDshow audio encodes true-hd to regular AC3. And you can set it to only encode 5.1 streams (so it doesn't hit every 2 channel file).
yea, reclock allows you to do this also. you should play around with it.

I know that ffdshow and reclock can be configured to only encode multichannel, I'm wondering if the same can be done with realtek, creative, or asus drivers.

It could prove useful, especially with something like the asus xonar ds, which can encode to 1.5 megabit dts with dts connect.

Last edited by mindbomb; 28th March 2012 at 03:28.
mindbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2012, 06:38   #10145  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindbomb View Post
I don't really have much faith in free encoders for ac3 or dts tbh.
ffmpegs AC3 encoder is doing a pretty good job, however i have no plans to offer such an option

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traps View Post
If you have a DGDecNV licence, could you do this benchmark with your new GTX680 and post the results there please? I'm really interested how the card performs for decoding.
I don't have a license, but i can tell you that the performance is about twice that of a VP4 decoder.
Old 28th March 2012, 07:30   #10146  |  Link
sidi0us

Quote:
Originally Posted by nx6 View Post
One workaround for this is for the encoder to label the subs to specify what audio track it's meant to be used with.

So the subtitle track that includes dialog and signs would be marked as a "Japanese" subtitle track (or whatever the original audio language is), even though the subs themselves are English. And the other sub track would be labeled "English" because it's meant to be utilized with the English audio dub.

But then this causes problems if your preferred subtitle settings specify English over Japanese.
That will do, as long as they mark subs with different languages there will be no problem, you can set the default one in splitter settings. I guess I'll have to change them manualy .
sidi0us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2012, 07:50   #10147  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Or instead of flagging the tracks with the wrong language, you could flag the second subtitle track as default instead of the first one. You can easily batch the process with mkvtoolnix (there's even a GUI for that: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=163753). Then set LAV Splitter to prefer the default track, if you haven't done that already.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2012, 08:20   #10148  |  Link
Village Guy

Bug Report

Along with other JRiver MC users we have been trying to understand why JMC crashes when playing Neverland and yet it plays fine on MPC-HC and WMC. It would appear to be the LAV splitter because if I replace the default MPC splitter with LAV V5.0 MPC-HC also crashes.

Here is the thread

Is there any way I can debug or log information to help resolve the anomaly?

Last edited by Village Guy; 28th March 2012 at 08:24.
Village Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2012, 08:25   #10149  |  Link
XadoX

Since this thread is growing so fast I am not realy up to date with the current LAV progress.

I am already using LAV-Splitter and LAV-Audio, but I am still using Microsofts DXVA decoder for decoding h264 files with media portal on my AMD E-350.

If I also switch to LAV-Video, will there be any benefits instead of using Microsofts DXVA?
XadoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2012, 09:45   #10150  |  Link
pankov

Quote:
Originally Posted by egur View Post
i didn't plan this yet.
Splitter support is a must before even trying to do any work.
In order to push open source 3D playback, we need:
* Samples.
* Splitter support. Haali already works?
* Renderer support. Media SDK's custom EVR supports 3D. Not sure how it behaves on standard monitors. May need a debug feature - show stereo frames side by side (or one on top of the other).
Eric,
I think/hope that the first two steps are very easy to accomplish
1. Each 3D bluray's siff files can be used as a sample
2. As I mentioned before the Haali Media Spliter does have a "stereo" pin so I think it does support it. Also the patched MPC MPEG Splitter does too. (thanks to mathh40 who provided the link to the patches http://www.3dtv.at/OpenSource/Index_de.aspx ... if they are not yet included in the main trunk). And finally I think/hope Nev will be able to add support to LAV Splitter pretty soon.

Now, when it comes to the third point (the renderer) we have a bigger problem. With all the unknowns how to switch to frame packing mode it will be difficult but if there is a sample for Intel ... and your connections inside the company ... I think this shouldn't be so hard and should be the first step ... we only need madshi to dedicate more time on it. (madshi, I'm just hoping you will do it - I'm not at all trying to dictate how you work on your renderer)

btw, Eric,
do you have a working application based on this custom EVR? Can you check if there is a limitation to be used only on the primary monitor as it is with Arcsoft's TMT. Does anybody know if this is a general limitation or simply how the guys at Arcsoft did it?

Eric, Nev, madshi,
does anyone of you own/use a 3D TV/projector? Do you like 3D at all?

P.S.
Nev,
if you don't like this talk to happen in LAV Filters thread I can start a new one and hopefully you all can join.
pankov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2012, 09:51   #10151  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankov View Post
Now, when it comes to the third point (the renderer) we have a bigger problem.
The decoder can just stitch the images together and build a SBS frame, which in theory works if you switch to SBS 3D mode manually.
At least for development you don't need a renderer that way.

Quote:
Eric, Nev, madshi,
I don't own any such hardware, and i've never tried it in a home cinema environment. The only movie i saw in 3D (in the cinema) was Avatar, but it was pretty neat.
Maybe i'll buy such a TV some time in the future. Its hard to avoid them in the new TV generations =p

Quote:
Nev,
if you don't like this talk to happen in LAV Filters thread I can start a new one and hopefully you all can join.
Please do.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 28th March 2012 at 09:54.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2012, 10:20   #10152  |  Link
fagoatse

Quote:
Originally Posted by XadoX View Post
Since this thread is growing so fast I am not realy up to date with the current LAV progress.

I am already using LAV-Splitter and LAV-Audio, but I am still using Microsofts DXVA decoder for decoding h264 files with media portal on my AMD E-350.

If I also switch to LAV-Video, will there be any benefits instead of using Microsofts DXVA?
I've been using LAV Video in DXVA2(Native) mode and it works wonders, no issues so far, solid performance/resources usage ratio. Go for it.
fagoatse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2012, 10:41   #10153  |  Link
sidi0us

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
Or instead of flagging the tracks with the wrong language, you could flag the second subtitle track as default instead of the first one. You can easily batch the process with mkvtoolnix (there's even a GUI for that: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=163753). Then set LAV Splitter to prefer the default track, if you haven't done that already.
This batch process is exactly what I needed, .
sidi0us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2012, 23:25   #10154  |  Link
nx6
Playing with MKV files...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
There are also some players, like Zoom Player, that allow you to specify a certain subtitle track number as preferred instead of language.
Old 29th March 2012, 09:17   #10155  |  Link
pan66000

On ATI HD4670M, mpeg2 DXVA(copy-back and native) doesn't work. Since v0.47(I started ues LAV from 0.47)
WIN 7 SP1 32Bit
MPC-HC EVR
pan66000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2012, 09:17   #10156  |  Link
XadoX

I tought that my Panasonic plasma is able to show 0-255 colors but if I use 0-255 in LAV-Video the dark colors seem to flood into dark.
XadoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2012, 09:59   #10157  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan66000 View Post
On ATI HD4670M, mpeg2 DXVA(copy-back and native) doesn't work. Since v0.47(I started ues LAV from 0.47)
WIN 7 SP1 32Bit
MPC-HC EVR
Your card does not support mpeg2
Old 29th March 2012, 14:28   #10158  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

LAV Filters 0.50.1
Code:
LAV Splitter
- Fixed Stream Detection on some Blu-rays with short Logo clips before the main movie
- Fixed a crash when processing invalid/broken PGS subtitles

LAV Video
- Fixed a crash on dynamic format changes (stream change, Blu-ray clip change)
Download: Installer (both x86/x64) -- Zips: 32-bit & 64-bit

I decided to join madshi and use smaller increments for smaller releases, makes more sense to keep the numbers sane, and push small bugfixes out faster, i guess.

Nothing big in this version, its basically just 4 commits or so. Two crash fixes, one improvement to Blu-ray demuxing (after the faulty disc finally arrived here).
Old 29th March 2012, 14:31   #10159  |  Link
egur
QuickSync Decoder author

Quote:
do you have a working application based on this custom EVR? Can you check if there is a limitation to be used only on the primary monitor as it is with Arcsoft's TMT. Does anybody know if this is a general limitation or simply how the guys at Arcsoft did it?

Eric, Nev, madshi,
You can use ZoomPlayer - it will allow to setup a custom renderer.

I don't have a 3D display of any kind. I'm not a big fan of the technology and my guess is that it will go away like it did in the 50's and 80's.
It causes headaches after a prolonged use.
Intel Corp.
egur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2012, 14:38   #10160  |  Link
andyvt

Quote:
I don't have a 3D display of any kind. I'm not a big fan of the technology and my guess is that it will go away like it did in the 50's and 80's.
Often it takes a couple tries to get it right. While the current implementation isn't perfect (i.e. you need glasses), 3D is a compelling, natural upgrade from HD. I think it's unlikely that 3D will slumber again, we've seen significant improvement in the technology and investment from CE and content vendors. Clearly it's not for everyone, but I'd be very surprised if we didn't see actual adoption similar to surround sound as the market matures.

Quote:
It causes headaches after a prolonged use*.
So do video games* and watching 2D*

*In some people.

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter