Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 27th May 2007, 11:17   #741  |  Link
krisq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarxrax View Post
I don't know if anyone else encounters this problem, but most of the time if I try to use the save avi feature it wont work. Sometimes it works, but usually it doesn't. There is no error or anything... it simply doesn't encode anything.

If avsp had some better encoding options, this thing could take over vdub for almost all of my video processing tasks
is there any chance that you have spaces in the name of your .avs file?

Quote:
Originally Posted by max24 View Post
Is possible AR feature planned?

AFAIK there is AR info on the status bar.
Old 27th May 2007, 18:07   #742  |  Link
Zarxrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisq View Post
is there any chance that you have spaces in the name of your .avs file?
That's probably it. Spaces aren't supported, I take it.
Zarxrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2007, 17:41   #743  |  Link
qwerpoi

I'm back, just wanted to let you guys know that v2.0.0 is progressing smoothly. I might release a preview version in a couple of days, since I could use some help completing the filter database necessary for automatic sliders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrikx View Post
CT software collection 11.05.2007 with AvsP
http://www.heise.de/ct/ (German)
Software-Kollektion 3/07, c't 11/07
http://www.heise.de/software/default.shtml?s=cdd&id=51
That's very cool! I'll add those links to the About page when I get the chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarthel View Post
any possibility to add find/replace across all the files that are open?
Good request, unfortunately it's a bit tricky to implement. I'll add it to my todo list, so we'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzarkadas View Post
Could you consider in a future release an additional category, "external function", in dialog "Options"|"Avisynth function definition...", "Function type" field ? Although not that important, it would help to better classify the functions of my library.

Thanks anyway for this great app; I have at last found my Avisynth editor of choice .
Glad you like the program! As far as an "external function" category, I'm not sure what that would be for. The categories are named a bit confusingly, here's how it looks to me:
  • Internal filter: core filters (avisource, levels, etc)
  • External filter: 3rd party dll plugins (decomb, undot, etc)
  • Internal function: Avisynth-language functions (assert, apply, etc)
  • Clip property: (width, height, framerate, etc)
  • User-defined: Non-dll avisynth functions (LimitedSharpen, mftoon, etc)
I think "user-defined" covers what you want for "external function". Let me know if I've misunderstood something. In any case, it's probably a good idea to rename those categories to be a bit more consistent with the Avisynth documentation notation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by max24 View Post
Is possible AR feature planned?
Yes, as jamieuk noted, it will come in the form of a resize calculator in the Tools menu. Unfortunately it's a lot of work to do it right and I'm currently busy with developing the automatic sliders for the upcoming release, so I can't give you a good idea when it will happen. In the meantime, as krisq pointed out, the aspect ratio is given in the status bar whenever the video has focus, combine that with the crop editor (Video -> Crop editor...) and you have a basic tool for managing aspect ratios.

Quote:
I don't know if anyone else encounters this problem, but most of the time if I try to use the save avi feature it wont work. Sometimes it works, but usually it doesn't. There is no error or anything... it simply doesn't encode anything.
Spaces in the script filename caused this to occur, but I believe this problem was fixed as of version 1.3.8. If it's still occuring with a newer version, let me know.

Quote:
If avsp had some better encoding options, this thing could take over vdub for almost all of my video processing tasks
Yeah, that's my thought as well. Unfortunately, virtualdub is an extremely comprehensive and well-written program, so it's a daunting task to say the least. The compromise is to make a gui wrapper around a more comprehensive command line encoder. I really like avs2avi, but it was meant for quick encoding tasks, and doesn't cover everything needed for video processing (audio handling, etc). I'm not really familiar with other tools, but it may be something I'll give strong focus on after this upcoming release.
qwerpoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2007, 20:07   #744  |  Link
gzarkadas

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerpoi View Post
...I think "user-defined" covers what you want for "external function"...
Yes, if I were the end-user. I am of course when I use the app, but as a distributor of a package I would prefer not to clutter the "user-defined" category with ~200 functions (see the relevant avsp macro is in this post) and let that category for the end-user, so as to easily distinguish his/her own functions. This could benefit other distributors also.

For the moment I just pretending my functions to be "internal functions" and giving the user the ability to change my preferences by setting some variables inside the .py macro file. I could continue with that because it is just a matter of convenience, but then I noticed there is a free corner in the related radiobuttons space that "calls" for filling it .

Thanks in any case for the time you took to review my request , whatever the result will be.
Old 29th May 2007, 20:57   #745  |  Link
ChiDragon

Quote:
I might release a preview version in a couple of days, since I could use some help completing the filter database necessary for automatic sliders.
Now that AvsP can make calls directly to the AviSynth script environment, isn't it possible to get loaded filters and their arguments directly from AviSynth instead of making a separate database?
ChiDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2007, 21:17   #746  |  Link
tsp

ChiDragon: No as there are no way to know what range/inputs that are valid for the different arguments. Maybe this was something that could be implemented in avisynth 2.6?
Old 29th May 2007, 22:57   #747  |  Link
Zarxrax

I just upgraded to the newest version, and it seems unicode doesn't work now. I could swear it worked in earlier versions though.

Also, it wont automatically suggest a default filename for the avs if I load the input file via directshowsource. When I use avisource it will suggest a filename.
Old 30th May 2007, 07:47   #748  |  Link
krieger2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsp View Post
ChiDragon: No as there are no way to know what range/inputs that are valid for the different arguments. Maybe this was something that could be implemented in avisynth 2.6?
I think this should be made i a future version of avisynth. When i read projects to include avisynth in a NLE-Like Programs this would be one first step for. Also your MT-Plugin could get information from there so it can decide which mode should be used with this filter...
krieger2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2007, 15:35   #749  |  Link
qwerpoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzarkadas View Post
Yes, if I were the end-user. I am of course when I use the app, but as a distributor of a package I would prefer not to clutter the "user-defined" category with ~200 functions (see the relevant avsp macro is in this post) and let that category for the end-user, so as to easily distinguish his/her own functions. This could benefit other distributors also.
Okay, I see what you mean. I'll rename the categories and include the new one, but I can't guarantee it'll be in the next release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiDragon View Post
Now that AvsP can make calls directly to the AviSynth script environment, isn't it possible to get loaded filters and their arguments directly from AviSynth instead of making a separate database?
You can get the loaded filters and arguments directly from Avisynth, but as tsp pointed out you can't get the additional info necessary for making user sliders. For int or float arguments, you would need the min and max values, as well as default values and step sizes. In order for the automatic slider feature to work properly, communication with Avisynth is still necessary, particularly when trying to accurately determine whether a clip has been automatically passed to any given filter.

Quote:
I just upgraded to the newest version, and it seems unicode doesn't work now. I could swear it worked in earlier versions though.
I've been trying to nail down all the unicode bugs for the last couple of versions, looks like I may have introduced a new one. Basically issues arise when there are both unicode and non-unicode strings being handled by the program, so the best practice is to make sure all strings are unicode, which is what I've been trying to do these past releases. I just recently discovered that for some reason converting a string to unicode when it is already unicode can cause a crash, which is fairly unbelievable. I've fixed these issues, so what I'll do is release version 1.4.0 in a couple of days. This version will have the automatic sliders, but the option will be disabled by default. That way anyone intersted in helping with the database or giving feedback on the new option can easily do so.

Quote:
Also, it wont automatically suggest a default filename for the avs if I load the input file via directshowsource. When I use avisource it will suggest a filename.
Yeah, right now the feature is not very intelligent - it activates only if the filename has a source extension as defined in the Extension-based templates. This was done to avoid issues such as using plugin dll names as the suggested name. But as you point out it will often fail with DirectShowSource and unknown extensions, so I improved how the feature works, it'll be in the new release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krieger2005 View Post
I think this should be made i a future version of avisynth. When i read projects to include avisynth in a NLE-Like Programs this would be one first step for. Also your MT-Plugin could get information from there so it can decide which mode should be used with this filter...
When I release the next version, you can check out how I'm storing the information. It's basically a simple documentation string for each filter, which means it's up to the filter developer to make sure the doc string corresponds appropriately with the actual filter arguments. If people think my method is clear enough, then it could be as simple as adding a method named something like GetDocString() to each filter.
Old 2nd June 2007, 11:51   #750  |  Link
steptoe

Is there any chance you could add something to your website so that people who have created their own filter scripts can upload them to your site so that others can have a better idea what does what or 'borrow' a few of the more complicated filter control
steptoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2007, 06:54   #751  |  Link
qwerpoi

New version 1.4.0, download from the AvsP download page or from the mirror. This version has an excellent preview of the automatic user sliders, you should definitely check it out. Here's the changelog:
Quote:
* fully automatic user sliders (experimental, turned off by default)

* simplified translation update procedure (suggested by Henrikx)

* added option for single instance (suggested by krisq, foxyshadis)

* added source extension filters to "Open..." dialog (suggested by 3ngel)

* changed default filename to work with unknown extensions (suggested by Zarxrax)

* opening an already opened file prompts for reload if changes exist (suggested by Kuukunen)

* toggle scrap window now works when scrap window focused (thanks AlanHK)

* changed error message when Avisynth fails to load video (thanks lolent)

* added macro for setting bookmarks (suggested by AlanHK)

* sliders no longer generated on error clips

* improved filter calltips to work with script line breaks

* added clear all text option for scrap window

* minor improvements to window layout code

+ fixed translation import problem (thanks Henrikx)

+ fixed bug with AvsP installed in directory with unicode characters (thanks Aeolis)

+ fixed display bug when resizing the script window with separate video window (thanks Alain2)

+ fixed several unicode bugs (thanks Zarxrax)

+ fixed crash when avisynth output has no video
There's a lot of good features that made it to this version, but the most important thing in my opinion is the automatic user sliders. The reason why they're disabled by default in this version is because one, the filter database isn't 100% complete, and two, they still need some testing for 100% script compatibility. But don't let that dissuade you from trying them out, in this version the feature is already incredibly robust.

In order to turn on automatic user sliders, you need to do two things. First, go to "Options -> Program settings...", go to the new "User sliders" tab, and check the first checkbox, "Create user sliders automatically". Second, you need to import the database that I put together, which currently resides in a text file. Start AvsP, go to "File -> Import filter customizations", and select the "autoslider_database.txt" file (comes with the zip file) as a calltip-only text file. You'll see a dialog with a list of all the filters in the file, click OK. What this will do is simply update the calltip information with the info in the text file. If you don't want to overwrite a particular filter's calltip, simply uncheck the box next to the filter before hitting OK. So what now? Well, now if you type in a script like this:

Code:
BlankClip(color=$000000)
Subtitle("This is awesome!", font="Verdana", size=25, text_color=$FFFF00, halo_color=$000000)
You'll get something that looks like this:

As you can see, gui elements were created automatically for every argument specified, without adding tags to the script in any way shape or form. Some bonus features - you can click on an argument name to select the text in the script corresponding to that argument. You can click on the label to hide all of the filter's arguments (referred to as "folding"), right-click the label for a popup menu with some more options. Anyway, It might be hard to appreciate the power of what's going on here, so I encourage you to try it for yourself.

If you're wondering how it works, basically I've put all the necessary information about each filter in AvsP's calltip information. I've come up with a simple syntax to store the information in a readable fashion (in fact, you can actually see the info in the calltip when you're typing in the script, very handy). Anyway, if you look at "autoslider_database.txt", you'll see I only created the database info for most of the core internal filters (for Avisynth v2.5.7). This database should be expanded with popular 3rd party filters, and must be kept up to date for the feature to work seamlessly. Ideally, the data would be stored on a wiki so people can contribute easily (as steptoe and others have mentioned), and AvsP would have a menu item to update the database from the web. I don't really know a lot about the details to get this done, so any help here would be appreciated.

If you want to help update the database with more filters (or make corrections to the current info), you can use a tool I built to help create the correct syntax. In the "Options -> Avisynth function definition" dialog, if you double-click the text box with the calltip info another dialog appears. Assuming the normal calltip info already exists, this dialog allows you to fill out all the relevant database info for that filter with a graphical interface (example). If the calltip already has database info, the fields will be filled accordingly. Simply enter values for any or all the fields, then click OK. You will see the calltip has been updated with the appropriate database syntax. After you're done updating the filters you want, you can save your results to a text file using the "File -> Export filter customizations..." dialog. Check the filters you want to export and click OK. When promted to save the file, make sure to save it as a "Calltip-only text file (*.txt)", not a "Filter cusomization file (*.dat)". The resulting text file will be identical in format to the autoslider_database.txt file. The filter database syntax itself is almost self-explanatory if you look at the various examples already in the database, but I'll try and have full documentation on the syntax by the next release.

The other features in this release are more or less self-explanatory. You can now run AvsP as a single-instance program, simply click "Options -> Only allow a single instance" in the menu. I fixed some more unicode bugs (again), improved the layout a bit when comparing videos, and fixed the bug which stopped AvsP from importing the translation file properly. A BIG note to translators - this version has a new method of updating the translation file. You'll notice there's no "__translation.py" - in order to update the translation file, simply place the "translation.py" from a prior version in the AvsP directory and run AvsP. It will automatically update the file with all the missing messages, you can then close AvsP and update the new messages (as always, search for "# New in v1.4.0" tags).

One final note - since several people requested it, I added a donation button to the website. Feel free to donate a couple of bucks if you'd like, but there's no pressure, I don't ever intend on making AvsP shareware or anything like that. Anyway, try out the new version and let me know if there are any new problems or suggestions.

Last edited by qwerpoi; 6th June 2007 at 07:16.
Old 6th June 2007, 12:14   #752  |  Link
Henrikx

@qwerpoi
Update German Translation 1.4.0

Simplified translation = Super + ingeniously

Heavily to found a meaningful translation for "Fold all" and "filename pickers" .
Old 6th June 2007, 14:10   #753  |  Link
Zarxrax

Wow! This is absolutely amazing, I love it! Thanks for all your hard work on this great software, I really think this has revolutionized avisynth!

After some quick usage, I do have one suggestion to make it a bit easier to use the sliders.
Can you make an ability to somehow automatically fill in all of the default parameters for a function? For instance lets say I want to use the Tweak function to adjust colors. Right now, I believe if I want to get access to all of the sliders for tweak, I have to type in each of the parameters that I want a slider for. Instead, there could be a button or hotkey or something that would automatically add all of the functions in with the default values, so you can immediately start dragging sliders around.
Old 6th June 2007, 15:01   #754  |  Link
Terranigma
*Space Reserved*

Thanks for the update, I hope this version fixes the minor problem I had with 1.3.9
If it doesn't, i'll post how to recreate it.
Terranigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2007, 17:04   #755  |  Link
niiyan

@qwerpoi
Thanks for the update, qwerpoi.
I have some questions and problems about the new version.

1. translation.py has the following two lines.

Code:
    "Make sure you have AviSynth installed and that there are no" : u"", # New in v1.4.0
    "unstable plugins or avsi files in the AviSynth plugins directory." : u"", # New in v1.4.0
These lines seem to be separated, maybe at the point where you don't intended. If I combine them as follows, it is easier for me to understand.

Code:
    "Make sure you have AviSynth installed and that there are no unstable plugins or avsi files in the AviSynth plugins directory." : u"", # New in v1.4.0
So, should I translate the two lines separetely? Or combine and translate as one line?

2. When I preview Version.avs included in AviSynth Examples directory, I got the follwing error.

Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "AvsP.pyo", line 5733, in OnMenuVideoRefresh
  File "AvsP.pyo", line 8617, in ShowVideoFrame
  File "AvsP.pyo", line 8990, in UpdateScriptAVI
  File "AvsP.pyo", line 9024, in GetAutoSliderInfo
  File "AvsP.pyo", line 9038, in GetFilterArgMatchedInfo
  File "AvsP.pyo", line 863, in GetFilterMatchedArgs
IndexError: list index out of range
3. I wrote the following script which includes Japanese Halfwidth Katakana, etc.

Code:
BlankClip()
Subtitle("キタ━(゚∀゚)━!")
When I select the quoted text in Subtitle, an error occurred as follows:

Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "AvsP.pyo", line 1292, in OnUpdateUI
  File "AvsP.pyo", line 801, in UpdateCalltip
UnboundLocalError: local variable 'iArgPos' referenced before assignment
4. After I close AvsP.exe, AvsP is trying to connect to localhost 127.0.0.1, port 50009. I don't know what it does. Are there any problem with this?
niiyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2007, 18:18   #756  |  Link
qwerpoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrikx View Post
@qwerpoi
Update German Translation 1.4.0

Simplified translation = Super + ingeniously

Heavily to found a meaningful translation for "Fold all" and "filename pickers" .
Thanks for the speedy translation update, glad the new method works properly. And I agree, a few of the new messages are somewhat unclear since they refer to completely new features, you can always pm me if you need some clarification on a new message.

Quote:
Wow! This is absolutely amazing, I love it! Thanks for all your hard work on this great software, I really think this has revolutionized avisynth!
I totally agreee

Quote:
Can you make an ability to somehow automatically fill in all of the default parameters for a function?
Absolutely, this will definitely be in the next version. Right now I'm trying to think of the best way to get this done (clicking on the calltip, a button in the slider window itself, etc). I wanted to release this version now to get a feel for how well it works with scripts that already exist, there's quite a bit of streamlining left to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niiyan View Post
1. translation.py has the following two lines.

Code:
    "Make sure you have AviSynth installed and that there are no" : u"", # New in v1.4.0
    "unstable plugins or avsi files in the AviSynth plugins directory." : u"", # New in v1.4.0
These lines seem to be separated, maybe at the point where you don't intended. If I combine them as follows, it is easier for me to understand.

Code:
    "Make sure you have AviSynth installed and that there are no unstable plugins or avsi files in the AviSynth plugins directory." : u"", # New in v1.4.0
So, should I translate the two lines separetely? Or combine and translate as one line?
The lines were separated because the message was too long, but I agree, it seems bad from a translation standpoint. For now you'll have to translate each line separately, but I'll try and join them in the next version.

Quote:
2. When I preview Version.avs included in AviSynth Examples directory, I got the follwing error.

3. I wrote the following script which includes Japanese Halfwidth Katakana, etc.

Code:
BlankClip()
Subtitle("キタ━(゚∀゚)━!")
When I select the quoted text in Subtitle, an error occurred as follows:
I couldn't reproduce the first error, but I see what caused the second one, the parentheses in the string screwed up the calltip code. I'll upload a fix shortly (right now the Avisynth ftp is giving me problems).

Quote:
4. After I close AvsP.exe, AvsP is trying to connect to localhost 127.0.0.1, port 50009. I don't know what it does. Are there any problem with this?
AvsP opens a socket for the "Only allow a single instance" option, which it uses to pass command-line parameters to the main instance. Currently the socket is used even if the option is not turned on. If there are problems closing AvsP because of this, let me know.
Old 7th June 2007, 12:59   #757  |  Link
khs81

Thanks for the new release! The new translation system is awesome. Thank you very much.

I will proceed with the italian translation tomorrow, I suppose.

Bye!
khs81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2007, 15:33   #758  |  Link
niiyan

@qwerpoi

Quote:
... but I agree, it seems bad from a translation standpoint.
That's what I wanted to say

Quote:
For now you'll have to translate each line separately, but I'll try and join them in the next version.
I'll do that. Thanks for your effort.

Quote:
I couldn't reproduce the first error, ...
I have installed AvsP under "Program Files" folder, i.e. "C:\Program Files\AvsP". I moved it to another place, e.g. "C:\AvsP, then I have no problem with previewing Version.avs.

Quote:
AvsP opens a socket for the "Only allow a single instance" option, which it uses to pass command-line parameters to the main instance. Currently the socket is used even if the option is not turned on. If there are problems closing AvsP because of this, let me know.
I understand what AvsP does. I have no problem because of this.
niiyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2007, 20:56   #759  |  Link
qwerpoi

Okay, we'll try something new. Officially there will be a bugfix release in about a week, but if you're experiencing the bugs niiyan reported in version 1.4.0, you can download this zip file (133 kilobytes). The zip file contains a single file named AvsP.pyo, place it in the same directory as AvsP.exe and then run the program. It should fix both bugs. These bugfixes will obviously be incorporated in the next version, just wanted to try a new method of providing temporary fixes between versions.
Old 7th June 2007, 23:21   #760  |  Link
Terranigma
*Space Reserved*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terranigma View Post
Thanks for the update, I hope this version fixes the minor problem I had with 1.3.9
If it doesn't, i'll post how to recreate it.
Looks like the bug is still present, now I don't know how to exactly reproduce it, but I can tell you how you might be able to encounter it. You might encounter it after opening a memory intensive script for preview (mvdegrain2 with dct1 and overlap=8 is an intensive script), Then highlight something from the script with the Left-Mouse button and choose copy. You'd get an error... or you won't. =P
Like I said, this might be a way to reproduce the bug i've been encountering.
Terranigma is offline   Reply With Quote