Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13th March 2003, 20:49   #1  |  Link
2COOL
PGC Navigator in Training

Getting Main Menu to Display Upon DVD Insert

Getting Main Menu to Display Upon DVD Insert Guide
Courtesy of 2CL

Tools I used
IFOedit 0.95
SmartRipper 2.41 / DVD Decrypter
4. Backup all IFOs and BUPs to a separate sub-folder. In case something happens in your editing, you can always replace with your edited IFO with it's original IFO & BUP. Remember to Get VTS Sectors to refresh fi you do so.
5. Play the original DVD and watch IFOedit's status window in DVD Play panel. Whatever you're watching at the moment, your status window will give an indication on where that clip resides at. You'll have 3 common status displays.
  • Video Manager Menu (VMG).....Step 6
  • Title Set Menu (VTS).........Step 7
  • Title: #.....................Step 8

Your video resides in a Menu that uses a VOB-ID or VOB-IDs in your VIDEO_TS.IFO / VMG Overview / Menu Language Unit [ ]. Look at my example below. View each one that has (uses VOB-IDs: ) by double-left clicking on Menu line.

Hopefully, IFOedit will show you a preview of what your Menu contains. If you are unable to view, DVD2AVI or VOBrator are good alternatives to use. These are freewares available in Doom9’s download section.

When you find your video segment, select line and press your “Delete Playback” button. What “Delete Playback” does is, in / VMGM_PGCI_UT / PGC-Menu_#, it changes your Number of Programs and Cells to zeroes and also your Playback time to a decimal value of 192, which will give you zero seconds. Thus, preventing your video clip from playing after you save your IFO.

VMG Overview:

Menu Language Units: 1

Language Menu Unit 1: [English]
...Menu 1: [Title-Menu].....(entry PGC)(Programs: 0) (Cells: 0)
...Menu 2: [entry only].....................(Programs: 3) (Cells: 3) (uses VOB-IDs: 1)
...Menu 3: [entry only].....................(Programs: 0) (Cells: 0)
...Menu 4: [entry only].....................(Programs: 3) (Cells: 3) (uses VOB-IDs: 2)
...Menu 5: [entry only].....................(Programs: 0) (Cells: 0)
...Menu 6: [entry only].....................(Programs: 0) (Cells: 0)
...Menu 7: [entry only].....................(Programs: 1) (Cells: 1) (uses VOB-IDs: 3)
...Menu 8: [entry only].....................(Programs: 1) (Cells: 1) (uses VOB-IDs: 4)
...Menu 9: [entry only].....................(Programs: 1) (Cells: 1) (uses VOB-IDs: 5)

Your video resides in a Menu that uses a VOB-ID or VOB-IDs in your movie’s Title Set VTS_*_0.IFO / VTS Overview / Menu Language Unit [ ]. To find out what your movie’s Title Set is, you need to know what it’s Title number is beforehand. Here’s how to quickly find out. Looking at my example below. In VIDEO_TS / VMG Overview / Number of Title Play Maps section, a Title with the most chapters is most likely to be your movie. On that same line, your will find your Title Set number. My movie is Title 1 in Title Set VTS_01. TTN means Titleset Title Number so TTN 1 is Title 1 in VTS_01.

VMG Overview

Number of Title Play Maps: 3 (VMG_PTT_SRPT)
...Title 1: VTS_01_*, TTN_1 (Angles: 1) (Chapters: 19) (Start Sector 1185)
...Title 2: VTS_02_*, TTN_1 (Angles: 1) (Chapters: 2) (Start Sector 1524375)
...Title 3: VTS_03_*, TTN_1 (Angles: 1) (Chapters: 2) (Start Sector 1608135)

Now that we have our movie’s Title Set, go to its VTS_*_.IFO / VTS Overview / Menu Language Unit [ ]. Disabling/bypassing your unwanted video segment(s) is pretty much the same procedure as what I shown in VMG Manager Menu in step 6.

Note: If you are already at your main menu, this is what you’ll also see in your status window.

Your video resides in a Title Set (VTS_*) other than your movie’s Title Set. Since you are jumping from one TitleSet to another, you have to jump to your VMG (VIDEO_TS.IFO) first and then jump to that other TitleSet. I sometimes describe this as "jumping from Title to Title through a dummy PGC". For example, if you got Title: 2, then one of your PGC-Menus in your VIDEO_TS.IFO / VTSM_PGCI_UT / contains that. Go through each PGC-Menu and look for this command, (JumpTT) Jump to Title: 2.

Did you find it? Assuming your movie resides in Title Set 1 (VTS_01) then do a right mouse click on line and select (JumpSS_VTSM) Jump to TitleSet Menu in pop-up menu. Input new values as example below. If your movie menu resides in another TitleSet, substitute your real TitleSet number in commands below, highlighted in blue.

OLD > (JumpTT) Jump to Title: 2....................................................[30 02 00 00 00 02 00 00 ]
NEW > JumpSS VTSM) Jump to TitleSet(vts): 1, Title(ttn): 1, root-menu [30 06 00 01 01 83 00 00 ]

If you want to read/learn more on disabling Titles, here a link to my other guides.

Last edited by 2COOL; 13th December 2003 at 04:26.
2COOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2003, 04:48   #2  |  Link
hellfire

Weird Problem

Using this guide, I was able to skip over some annoying “logos” when the DVD is inserted (and get to the menu). However, if I play the DVD and then hit stop twice (to completely stop the DVD), and then hit play again, it jumps to the first title instead of the menu. How can I get it to go to the menu instead?

Last edited by hellfire; 25th March 2003 at 05:44.
hellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2003, 06:29   #3  |  Link
2COOL

There are some DVDs that when you jump to your root menu in First Play PGC, you maybe bypassing some valuable settings. When you play your original DVD, what do you have in order and what is your status window displaying in your DVD Play panel while the current video segment is playing? Post your findings all the way till your menu appears.

Last edited by 2COOL; 25th March 2003 at 07:47.
2COOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2003, 07:21   #4  |  Link
hellfire

Here is the order of what plays before the menu and what it displays:

Warning: "Play" (located in video_ts)
Warning Cont: "Play" (located in video_ts)
Logo: "Title-5 Chapter-1" (located in vts_02)
Blank: "Title-1 Chapter-1" (located in vts_01)
Menu Intro: "Play" (located in vts_04)
Menu: "Play" (located in vts_04)

Then it arrives at the menu.
Old 26th March 2003, 07:34   #5  |  Link
2COOL

Quote:
Originally posted by hellfire
Here is the order of what plays before the menu and what it displays:

Warning: "Play" (located in video_ts)
Logo: "Title-5 Chapter-1" (located in vts_02)
Menu Intro: "Play" (located in vts_04)
Menu: "Play" (located in vts_04)

Then it arrives at the menu.
Here's what I would do.

Delete Playback in Menu Language Unit on these and save IFO when done:
  • Warning: "Play" (located in video_ts)

For these, go to *.IFO / VTSI_PGCITI / VTS_PGC_1 / PGC Command Table. Add the Number of Post Commands to your Number of Pre Commands. Change Number of Pre Commands to this sum value. Save IFOs when done.
  • Logo: "Title-5 Chapter-1" (located in vts_02)

You should have just your menu intros playing upon DVD insert now. If you want to bypass these, find out which PGCs contains the intros by clicking on them in your VTS Overview / PGC_* to view. Repeat what you did for VTS_02.

Personally, I like to have the menu intros if they're cool.
Old 14th April 2003, 07:05   #6  |  Link
hellfire

Even after doing that it still goes to the first title instead of the menu or menu intro. So something must have gotten messed up after splitting the DVD. Thanks for the help!
Old 14th April 2003, 08:11   #7  |  Link
2COOL

Quote:
Originally posted by hellfire
Even after doing that it still goes to the first title instead of the menu or menu intro. So something must have gotten messed up after splitting the DVD. Thanks for the help!
So you're saying that upon DVD insert, your Title 5 still displays? Hmmm...have you seen/read this guide I recently wrote on bypassing Titles?
Old 14th April 2003, 19:10   #8  |  Link
hellfire

Ok, this is getting kind of confusing to explain. After following what you said, upon DVD insert it arrives at the menu intro (which is what I want). However, if I hit the stop button on the remote twice while it is playing (to completely stop the DVD), and then hit play again, it begins to play the movie (which is not what I want). In order to get it to go to the menu intro after stopping it, I have to eject the DVD and insert it again. I realize I’m very picky to want to correct such a small nuisance, but it just annoys me that I can’t figure it out. So if you have any ideas, it would be appreciated!
Old 4th October 2003, 12:29   #9  |  Link
Kedirekin

Sorry for resurrecting an ancient thread, but I feel compelled to reply.

This is not a problem with the DVD structure - it is a 'feature' of(some?) stand-alone players. The player remembers where you were in the movie, and resumes there when you start playing the DVD again. This remembered position not only applies when you stop the DVD, but even if you power off the player. Ejecting the DVD (or unplugging the player) resets the remembered position.

I use this feature often when watching episodic DVDs (watch two episodes one night, and the third the next night).
Kedirekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2005, 06:20   #10  |  Link
liquidrave

I can't figure this out. I'm trying to make a backup of the movie The Manchurian Candidate, and there are several previews before the main menue, I'd like to skip straight to the menu.

Quote:
8. Title: #

Your video resides in a Title Set (VTS_*) other than your movie’s Title Set. Since you are jumping from one TitleSet to another, you have to jump to your VMG (VIDEO_TS.IFO) first and then jump to that other TitleSet. I sometimes describe this as "jumping from Title to Title through a dummy PGC". For example, if you got Title: 2, then one of your PGC-Menus in your VIDEO_TS.IFO / VTSM_PGCI_UT / contains that. Go through each PGC-Menu and look for this command, (JumpTT) Jump to Title: 2.

Did you find it? Assuming your movie resides in Title Set 1 (VTS_01) then do a right mouse click on line and select (JumpSS_VTSM) Jump to TitleSet Menu in pop-up menu. Input new values as example below. If your movie menu resides in another TitleSet, substitute your real TitleSet number in commands below, highlighted in blue.
The title number of the previews is 17 and the title number of the menue is 18. First of all, I'm unsure of which one I'm supposed to be concerned with, the menu or the previews. I'd like to keep the previews on the DVD, but only have them accessible through the features menue, not have them autostart on disk insert. However, I looked in VIDEO_TS.IFO / VTSM_PGCI_UT, but I didn't know where to go from here. I thought I was looking for the (Jump_tt) Jumpto title function, but I couldn't find it anywhere in the subcategories of the VTSM_PGCI_UT. Any ideas?

Thanks.
liquidrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2005, 06:35   #11  |  Link
2COOL

I did this guide a while back and found that it works for some DVDs. A better guide for you to use is jeanl's guide.

http://jean.laroche.free.fr/Jumping0.4.3.1/index.html