Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors

Old 13th March 2003, 11:17   #1  |  Link
2COOL
PGC Navigator in Training

Disabling/Bypassing Unwanted Titles (Version 1)

Disabling/Bypassing Unwanted Titles (Version 1)

Scenario: You have a DVD that has a lot of menu intros. In my case, my anime DVD Gundam Wing: The Movie – Endless Waltz has 6 titles as my menu intros. It takes about a minute and a half, without chapter skipping, before I even see my main menu. This is unacceptable. But this isn’t the only reason. There are other unwanted Titles ,before and after, your movie. In this guide, I will show you how to bypass those bothersome Titles.

Note: The reason I’m doing these methods in my guide is because if I had edited/inserted any new jumps commands, I was bypassing valuable GPregs and Audio/Subtitles settings that caused errors on my backup DVD to not play properly or not at all.

Tools I used:
IFOedit 0.95

1. First, we need to know which Title we need to be concern about. To do that, press your DVD Play button and preview movie from the start. In your DVD Play panel, there is a Status window. While viewing the video segment, this will give you an indication on where it resides at. You will commonly see three statuses.
  • Video Manager Menu (VMG)
    Title Set Menu (VTS)
    Title: #
In this guide, we are more concerned about Title: #. If you get this, it means that the video segment you are currently viewing belongs in a PGC (Program Chain) in a VTS (Video Title Set). It is not a menu and does not reside in a Menu Language Unit in which we can just do a “Delete Playback” on it to disable it.

A good practice I do is while the DVD is playing in IFOedit, I quickly write the Title numbers down in the Status window, in play order, on my notepad and add a brief description with it.

2. Now that we got our Titles, we need to find out which Title Set it’s associated with. It’s a simple task. Go to your VIDEO_TS.IFO / VMG Overview: / Number of Title Play Maps: . In this section, locate your Title in question and you will see your Title set on the same line. I told you it was simple.

Look at my movie’s example below highlighted in blue. My FBI Warnings and others are in Title 2 and my Title set number is VTS_02_* (Title set 2).

Number of Title Play Maps: 5 (VMG_PTT_SRPT)
Title 1: VTS_01_*, TTN_1 (Angles: 1) (Chapters: 21) (Start Sector 12)
Title 2: VTS_02_*, TTN_1 (Angles: 1) (Chapters: 6) (Start Sector 2980909)
Title 3: VTS_03_*, TTN_1 (Angles: 1) (Chapters: 2) (Start Sector 2996706)
Title 4: VTS_03_*, TTN_2 (Angles: 1) (Chapters: 2) (Start Sector 2996706)
Title 5: VTS_03_*, TTN_3 (Angles: 1) (Chapters: 2) (Start Sector 2996706)

So now I know which Title Set to focus on, I’ll open my VTS_02_0.IFO.

I’m going to show you two working methods on how to disable/bypass unwanted video segment(s) in my Title 2. Method 1 is for individual video segments in a PGC. Some may be cool for others to keep. Method 2 is for bypassing the whole PGC. For my two methods, I will use the example below. This is found in my VTS_02_0.IFO / VTS Overview / PGC_1 (program chain). I also described what each cell contained.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Example PGC_1

PGC_1 (program chain): [Title(TTN): 1] [00:01:00.01 / 30 fps] (Programs: 6) (Cells: 8) (uses VOB-IDs: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8)
[Ch 01] [Pg 01] [Cell 01] [V/C Id: 1/ 1] ...: time: 00:00:05.00 / 30 fps First FBI Warning
................[Cell 02] [V/C Id: 2/ 1]... : time: 00:00:00.15 / 30 fps Blank Segment
[Ch 02] [Pg 02] [Cell 03] [V/C Id: 3/ 1] ...: time: 00:00:05.00 / 30 fps Second FBI Warning
[Ch 03] [Pg 03] [Cell 04] [V/C Id: 4/ 1] ...: time: 00:00:06.11 / 30 fps Company Logo #1
[Ch 04] [Pg 04] [Cell 05] [V/C Id: 5/ 1] ...: time: 00:00:08.05 / 30 fps Company Logo #2
[Ch 05] [Pg 05] [Cell 06] [V/C Id: 6/ 1] ...: time: 00:00:34.00 / 30 fps Dolby Digital
[Ch 06] [Pg 06] [Cell 07] [V/C Id: 7/ 1] ...: time: 00:00:00.15 / 30 fps Blank Segment
................[Cell 08] [V/C Id: 8/ 1] ...: time: 00:00:00.15 / 30 fps Blank Segment

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Method 1: Disabling Individual PGC Cells

Disclaimer: May not work all the time so use at your own risk.

3a. I’m going to start with my First FBI Warning. So I’ll go to / VTS_PGCITI / VTS_PGC_1 and scroll down to “Cell Playback:” section. In this section, I will be given each Cell’s properties. I have 8 Cells present, according to my example above. My FBI Warning #1 is in Cell 1. So here’s what I have for Cell_1’s properties.

Cell Playback:

Cell_1: Cell type (Angle)....................... 2
..........type.................................. normal
..........Block type............................ normal
..........seamless playback linked in PCI:...... no
..........interleaved: ..........................no
..........STC discontinuity: ....................yes
..........seamless angle linked in DSI: .........no
Cell_1: Cell restricted? ........................0
..........restricted: ...........................no
Cell_1: still time (seconds, 0xFF = Infinite) ...0
Cell_1: command Nr (0 = no command) .............0
Cell_1: playback time (BCD) .....................1472
..........playback time (hh:mm:ss.frame) ........00:00:05.00 / 30 fps
Cell_1: entry point sector...................... 0
Cell_1: first ILVU VOBU end sector.............. 0
Cell_1: start sector of last VOBU............... 153
Cell_1: last sector of this cell................ 171

What I need to be concern about is these properties.

Cell_1: playback time (BCD) .....................1472
..........playback time (hh:mm:ss.frame) ........00:00:05.00 / 30 fps
Cell_1: entry point sector.......................0
Cell_1: last sector of this cell.................171

Now I do my necessary edits. I’ll change the “playback time” value of 1472 to 192(for NSTC) or 64 (for PAL) and change the “entry point sector” value the same as “last sector of this cell”. Make sure you use the right value for NSTC or PAL. Either will give your cell a time of 00:00:00.00.

To edit, I’ll double left click on line and input new values. To refresh, click on VTS_PGCITI and click a back on VTS_PGC_1. Here’s the results of my actions using NTSC value of 192.

Cell_1: playback time (BCD) .....................192
..........playback time (hh:mm:ss.frame) ........00:00:00.00 / 30 fps
Cell_1: entry point sector.......................171
Cell_1: last sector of this cell.................171

Method 2: Disabling/Bypassing All PGC Cells

4a. In this method, I will bypass/disable all cells. I shouldn’t have any video segments displaying. So, using my PGC_1 (program chain) example above again, I need to know which cell contains my last “blank segment” AND has a [Ch ##] assigned to it . That would be my Cell 7. You can usually tell without viewing if it’s a blank cell if the playback time is less than one second, 00:00:01.00. Here’s my Cell 7 below. We need to know this for next step.

[Ch 06] [Pg 06] [Cell 07] [V/C Id: 7/ 1] ...: time: 00:00:00.15 / 30 fps Blank Segment

PGC Program Map:

Program_1: Entry cell number...1 First FBI Warning
Program_2: Entry cell number...3 Second FBI Warning
Program_3: Entry cell number...4 Company Logo #1
Program_4: Entry cell number...5 Company Logo #2
Program_5: Entry cell number...6 Dolby Digital
Program_6: Entry cell number...7 Blank Segment
4c. What we need to do for bypassing everything in your PGC is to make your last blank segment cell play first. Just think of this as when your clip plays, it jumps immediately to the end. So I double left clicked on cells 1 to 5 and changed them to 7 as my example below.

PGC Program Map:

Program_1: Entry cell number...7 Blank Segment
Program_2: Entry cell number...7 Blank Segment
Program_3: Entry cell number...7 Blank Segment
Program_4: Entry cell number...7 Blank Segment
Program_5: Entry cell number...7 Blank Segment
Program_6: Entry cell number...7 Blank Segment
4f. Pressed DVD Play to preview and test. Test also using PowerDVD or WinDVD. In my case, everything in my Title 2’s PGC_1 shouldn’t be showing in playback. If you still do, then read notes below on extra step.

Note 1: If you still have any unwanted Titles playing, go to that Title’s PGC Command Table and edit your number of cells to zero and save IFO.

Note 2: This procedure may be used on Titles before and after your movie. In fact you can do it on your main movie title if it has a cell with a blank clip. But who wants to bypass their movie?

Last edited by 2COOL; 21st August 2004 at 04:58.
2COOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2003, 15:49   #2  |  Link
Dre

nice guide
Dre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2003, 16:38   #3  |  Link
Fmazzanti

Yes indeed (2COOL my hero )
Fmazzanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2003, 23:04   #4  |  Link
jfcarbel
Programmer

A value of 192 will give my cell a time of 00:00:00.00.

How do you figure this out, that is come up with 192?
jfcarbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2003, 23:10   #5  |  Link
Fmazzanti

Yeah, this 192 amazes me also... and regarding this, does it have anything to do with PAL r NTSC? If so, what would be the right value for PAL?
Old 16th March 2003, 22:04   #6  |  Link
Fmazzanti

@2COOL,
I've tried your method of bypassing individual cells in a PGC. In this case is an unwanted cell in the middle of the movie stream, so I want to jump from cell 12 to cell 14 bypassing cell 13. I just set this 192 value in playback time and it says it's 0.00.00:00 / 30fps.
Well I encode PAL, so I would like to have 0.00.00:00 / 25fps... or is this irrelevant as it has zero length? If not, could you please report the appropriate value?
Thx!
BTW I may be starting to understand things, because I arrived to the same conclussion of setting 'entry point sector' equal to 'last sector of this cell' by myself, prior to reading your guide
Old 16th March 2003, 22:42   #7  |  Link
2COOL

Quote:
Originally posted by Fmazzanti
@2COOL,
I've tried your method of bypassing individual cells in a PGC. In this case is an unwanted cell in the middle of the movie stream, so I want to jump from cell 12 to cell 14 bypassing cell 13. I just set this 192 value in playback time and it says it's 0.00.00:00 / 30fps.
Well I encode PAL, so I would like to have 0.00.00:00 / 25fps... or is this irrelevant as it has zero length? If not, could you please report the appropriate value?
Thx!
BTW I may be starting to understand things, because I arrived to the same conclussion of setting 'entry point sector' equal to 'last sector of this cell' by myself, prior to reading your guide
Hmmm...This is how I found out about the value of 192. Whenever I a delete playback on a menu in my Menu Language Unit, it sets all my Number of Programs and Cells to zero and my playback time to 00:00:00.00. If I go to a deleted playback menu in VTSM_PGCI_UT, I have this now after my action.

• PGC (program chain):

Number of Programs...................0
    Number of Cells......................0
    Playback time (BCD)..................192
    ....Playback time (hh:mm:ss.frame)...00:00:00.00 / 30 fps

I didn't take into account on what the PAL value would be if you had a playtime time of 00:00:00.00. So, what's yours by doing what I did @ 25 fps?

Last edited by 2COOL; 16th March 2003 at 22:45.
Old 16th March 2003, 23:04   #8  |  Link
Fmazzanti

Good! I tried that and the result for PAL 25fps is 64 instead of 192.
Now I'll see what happens with this.
I tried the 192 to disable a cell in the middle of the movie and it hanged playback. Was it related to this number? I'll check and post back results...
In the meantime and for instance, do you know of any other way to disable a cell in the middle of the movie? Just in case this 64 hangs my player once again
Old 17th March 2003, 00:07   #9  |  Link
Fmazzanti

Hi again,
well in the end setting it to 64 didn't freeze my standalone anymore... however it stops playback for 1/2 to 1 sec
Not nice since this is in the middle of the movie.
Any idea about how to fix that, or what to do?
Old 17th March 2003, 01:17   #10  |  Link
2COOL

I wonder what's in your movie you want to bypass? It just seems rare that someone would skip a scene in a movie. Well, I like a challenge so here's another brainstorming method.

If you want to bypass, say, cell 2, then change cell 2 to cell 3. Hopefully, your chaptering is still intact. I just did a small test to see if it bypassed and it did. Here's the before and after edit.

BEFORE

...PGC Program Map:
Program_1: Entry cell number...1
Program_2: Entry cell number...2
Program_3: Entry cell number...3
Program_4: Entry cell number...4
Program_5: Entry cell number...5

...PGC Program Map:
Program_1: Entry cell number...1
Program_2: Entry cell number...3
Program_3: Entry cell number...3
Program_4: Entry cell number...4
Program_5: Entry cell number...5

Now you still can access your cell 2(chapter 2) through your chapter selection menus but if you search through all your PGC-Menus commands, you'll find the chapter navigations. You may have to hexedit to change your command containing chapter 2 to reflect chapter 3.

Now the above two edits would hopefully solve your problem on forward play. But if you tried to chapter skip back while you are in chapter 3, it won't go to chapter 1. You'll probably be looping to the start of chapter 3 again. I hope you can live with that as I don't have an immediate fix for it. I was just worried about the movie playing forward with no pauses.

Let me know how it worked for you.

Last edited by 2COOL; 17th March 2003 at 02:51.
Old 17th March 2003, 08:23   #11  |  Link
Fmazzanti

Thanks, I'll try this and post results.
The reason why I'm doing this is that my original movies has 25 cells and 22 chapters. So I have in the original VTS_=1_0.IFO
cell 1 = chpa 1
cell 2 = chap 2
cell 8 = chap 8
cell 9
cell 10 = chap 9
but when I reencode the movie with dvd2dvdr I get as may cells as chapters, that is, 22. But I want to keep chapter positions at the same times I have in the original, so I though I should make cell 9 blank of 00.00.00:00 secs and put last sector of cell 8 equal to first entry sector of cell 9 equal to last sector of cell 9 equal to first entry sector of cell 10 (either this or increasing them by one in going from cell to cell), but you know the result...
Another possibility would be to move chapter positions from cell to cell, that is, movin chapter 9 to cell 9 instead of pointing to cell 10. That would solve my problems... any ideas about how can this be done?
BTW, have you thought about $0.5 per question? You'd get rich at once
Old 17th March 2003, 08:55   #12  |  Link
Fmazzanti

I posted that 5 mins ago but didn't went thru... well I explain again. The fact is that my original VTS_01_0.IFO has 25 cells and 22 chapters. Chapters go like this
Chap Cell
1 1
2 2
3 3
4 4
5 5
6 6
7 7
8 8
9 10
so you see, there are cells in between not assigned to any chapter.
Now my DVD2DVDr encoded version has just 22 cells corresponding to the 22 chapters, so I must do something with cells like 9 for exemple. I thought that just setting it to 0.00.00:00 would solve the problem, but obviously it doesn't.
Now I've thought about another thing which I'll check this afternoon, but would like to hear your opinion. What I can do is edit
VTS_01_0.IFO/VTS_PGCITI/VTS_PGC_1/PGC program map and reallocate Program_#: Entry Cell ## to make the first 22 cells equal to the 22 chapters of my movie. Then for the last 3 cells I can use the 0.00.00:00 time trick since it's going to be a black screen (the end of the movie credits actually), or I can bypass these cells in any other way. That would preserve cells and chapters and (hopefully) a flowlesly displaying movie until the end... what do you think?
Old 17th March 2003, 09:37   #13  |  Link
2COOL

I think I mentioned this method to you already and it works since you are using another program (DVD2DVD-R) to shrink your movie to fit
  • Create 1 PGC Only
    Create Chapter for each Cell
You will now have an IFO with 25 chapters to 25 cells instead of 22 chapters to 25 cells.

Use this folder as your source for DVD2DVD-R and a separate folder for your destination.
When done, you should have a new IFOs and BUPs with new VOBs.

Files_____Options______________________Mode_______________Settings___Help
.........AutoCorrect VTS Sectors.....Adjusted Cell Mode
.........AutoAnalyze Original IFO

For your original IFO Path: Browse to your movie IFO in your original folder.
Authored IFO: Browse to your IFO in your DVD2DVD-R folder
Backup IFO: Just press your browse folder and press Open.

I read your other post but didn't see you use this common method. Please try it and let me know what the outcome is.

Last edited by 2COOL; 17th March 2003 at 21:33.
Old 17th March 2003, 11:42   #14  |  Link
Fmazzanti

Hi again,
well let me start saying that, apparently, the trick I did of moving chapter points to adjacent cells semms to work... at least I do not see the player stopping when going from cell 8 to 9 as before. I have to check though what has happened to the end of the movie (where I put the last 3 cells to time 0 with the 64 (your 192) trick). In any case, that seems to work.
Regarding the method you mentioned in your last post, I think I tried it but had problems with the IfoUpdate part complaining about the number of cells in both files not being the same. Probably I skept setp 2 and that was the problem. I'll try it again, although it will take some time.
DVD2DVDr is nothing but a front-end for CCE. It takes a dvd drive or a mounted image as in put, lets you choose the audios and subtitles you want to keep, and using IFOEdit authors the final product. Therefore it produces VOBs and IFOs and BUPs as required, but only for the main movie (no menus, no nothing else). When I ran it on my movie, it produced an VTS_01 with 22 cells and 22 chapters, and as I said IFOUpdate complained since the original IFo had 25 cells instead.
I'll try your method from the beginning... however what I don't like is that keeping an iso image of the original and copying movie vobs to another folder and running dvd2dvdr usually takes 8Gb+5Gb+14Gb which is a lot...
Old 18th March 2003, 16:20   #15  |  Link
Fmazzanti

Hey 2COOL,

today I tested my 'The Rock' copy on a differentplayer and... broken
disc . It plays flowlessly on both my Marantz and my CyberHome, but not on this older player. So it seems that what I did was not perfectly DVD compliant. This is getting tyring...

Well before jumping through the window I'd like to give it a try... but this time startin from the very beginning to check what I did wrong. I'll just start with a simpler movie, Local Hero PAL R2 which has the following structure:

* VIDEO_TS.VOB has menues.
* VTS_01_0.VOB has more menues.
* VTS_01_0.IFO shows it has 7 PGCs. PGC1 is the movie, while PGC2 to PGC7 are logos and wranings and crap stuff that show up upon insertion of the DVD into the player, before reaching the root menu. Some of these (logos) also show up when you press Play on the root menu.
* VTS_02 to VTS_05 are extras I want to completely delete.

Now the part of good news is that at least this title (the movie) has as many cells as chapter points, so I don't need to mess around with them.

Your guide on disabling unwanted PGCs is a way to actually bypass them (as you say), a way to not see them although they are still there. Now my problem is that encoding the main movie with DVD2DVDr creates VOBs and IFOs for the main movie only. My original VTS_01 has 7 PGCs while the one created by DVD2DVDr has only 1. I (guess) I can't use your disabling techniques 'cause there's no longer anything to disable (PGC2 to PGC7).

Now the question is: once I have the original VTS_01_0.IFO (with 7 PGCs) and the DVD2DVDr one (with only one PGC), both having the same number of chapters/cells for the movie, will steps 5 and 6 of your last post (that is, running IFOUpdate in Adjust cell Mode checking Autocorrect VTS Sectors and Autoanalyze Orinal IFO) create a working navigation structure? I mean working in the sense that the player will no longer look for PGCs 2 to 7...

In case this is not the way to proceed... any other idea?

Thanks again and again...
Old 9th May 2003, 14:15   #16  |  Link
scorpio61

BCD Time Explanation

This was also posted in one of 2Cool's stickys. I hope my research is correct. It seems to work for me. If this has already been answered somewhere, I apologize, but did not see it.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by jfcarbel
A value of 192 will give my cell a time of 00:00:00.00.

How do you figure this out, that is come up with 192?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is defined by the Program Chain structure specification. Let me try to explain what I have figured out. Reference the structure here:

http://www.mpucoder.com/DVD/pgc.html (offset 0004)

If you convert 192 (decimal) to binarry, you get 11000000. Look at the two left most bits, then reverse them. If the reversed order is 11, the frame rate is 30fps. If it is 01 the frame rate is 25. Any other value in these high order bits would be illegal frame rates. So 64 in decimal is 1000000. Reversing the high order bits (7&6) give you 01, thus 25fps. This is not a mathmatical calculation. It is just how the spec seems to be structured. In the case of decimal 192 or 1100000, reversing really does nothing.

The easiest way I find to figure out your time and frame rate is to actually work in hex. In our case, 192 decimal is hex C0. 64 decimal is hex 40. So if I want this cell to play for 14 seconds, I would take 14C0 and convert it to decimal resulting in an entry of 5312 at 30fps. If I wanted 14 seconds at 25fps, I would convert 1440 to decimal and get 5184. If I wanted 10 minutes, 12 seconds at 30fps, I would use 1012C0 converted to decimal is 1053376.

I believe this is correct. Try it. My brain is a little brused from my research. Be careful not to exceed 59 in the minutes and/or seconds fields or the results may be unpredictable. (hh:mm:ss.ff, where each field represents a byte)

Good luck!

Rob
scorpio61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2003, 15:26   #17  |  Link
mpucoder

Why do you say to reverse bits 7&6? 0x40 (hex 40) = 0100 0000 in binary, bits 7&6 = 01 as is.
I'm sorry if the explanation on the page seemed brief, but the entire section is meant as a companion to "DVD Demystified" and for programmers. BCD should be well known to them, along with hexadecimal notation.
mpucoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2003, 20:58   #18  |  Link
scorpio61

Sorry, that was wrong. You are correct. You don't need to reverse the bits. I forgot that the Windows calc doesn't show leading zeros, so when I converted 40 to hex, I saw 1000000 and figured the bits needed to be reversed. Had I counted correctly, I would have realized the proper answer was 0100000 and it would have all clicked.

Thanks for catching my mistake. I knew my brain was brused from my research.

Rob
scorpio61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2003, 08:47   #19  |  Link
surreal120

What to do with uneeded VOB files?

2Cool,

Thanks for this guide!... I followed your steps so that the cells for FBI warning, logos, etc. don't play back.

Now I want to get rid of the actual video in order to save space on my disc. I know I could use strip VOB IDs, but somehow I get the feeling that there's a better way:

For this particular movie, the unwanted cells are in seperate VTSs from the main movie. There's nothing else in those title sets that I need to keep - I basically want to remove them alltogether.

After changing the IFO for each VTS so that the playback times for the unwanted cells are all nil (according to the procedure in your guiude) I can remove the VOB files and the movie will play fine in Power DVD but IfoEdit says a file is missing and bails out. Where is IfoEdit checking that Power DVD is not?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
surreal120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2003, 09:19   #20  |  Link
2COOL

Re: What to do with uneeded VOB files?

Quote:
Originally posted by surreal120
For this particular movie, the unwanted cells are in seperate VTSs from the main movie. There's nothing else in those title sets that I need to keep - I basically want to remove them alltogether.
Try using this guide for your unwanted titles in your titlesets. Then do a test playback to confirm that whatever you want to not play, doesn't play. If successful, then you can either drag the associated VOBs, excluding any VTS_*_0.VOBs, to another folder or delete them. The only titleset files left in your movie folder should be your IFO, BUP, and menu VOB. Do another "Get VTS Sectors" and preview to test.

If you encounter reallocation errors when burning with Nero, try using Imgtools with reallocation option unchecked. Works for me.