Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > PC Hard & Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th January 2010, 23:50   #1  |  Link
an3k

HDMI adapter card?

Hi all,

i'm looking for a PCI/PCI-X/PCI-E card which features a HDMI 1.3 input including HDCP. I don't want to capture PayTV (can do that already, TV card ) - i want to connect my PS3 or my 2nd computer so i can record the input data on this computer.

- Asus Rampage Formula
- Intel Core2Quad Q9650
- 4GB DDR2 800MHz 4-4-4-12
- nVIDIA GeForce GTX295 / GT240
- 4HDD RAID0
an3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2010, 05:22   #2  |  Link
Blue_MiSfit
Derek Prestegard IRL

Good luck. No cards out there will capture an HDMI signal with HDCP. There are some HDCP stripping devices that may make this work, but I'm not personally familiar with any.
Old 29th May 2012, 10:03   #3  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Quote:
Originally Posted by an3k View Post
Hi all,

i'm looking for a PCI/PCI-X/PCI-E card which features a HDMI 1.3 input including HDCP. I don't want to capture PayTV (can do that already, TV card ) - i want to connect my PS3 or my 2nd computer so i can record the input data on this computer.

- Asus Rampage Formula
- Intel Core2Quad Q9650
- 4GB DDR2 800MHz 4-4-4-12
- nVIDIA GeForce GTX295 / GT240
- 4HDD RAID0
The cheapest (and most legal, albeit only grey zone) solution is to buy yourself a PVR with free access to its HDD (that will exclude probably most if not all provider-specific-boxes) and a CAM supporting the PayTV-specific subscription card (it seems that the paytv-providers made a joke from the CI/CAM-feature, almost none of them have public CAMs, considered to be hackable).

Even more dark grey, is to use a PC-based solution (it's dark grey if you have a subscription card, pure "black" if you don't).

HW capturing means expensive investments, coupled with high chances that the devices you bought will be rendered useless (it happens often in PayTv realm, that the investments in illegal solutions cover the subscription fees ). It also means you capture RAW, ie decompressed data, that is, huge amount of data or re-compression is needed.

Bottom line: I checked once the #1 provider in Germany and was very disappointed (far more better programs and newer movies and even far more cheaper offers came from its eastern neighbours, should one be able to get a subscription card ). Some movies have had only the dubbed version, some have had the logo (plasma TV, anyone? ), some have had only 2 channels audio, some movies have been presented in 43LB instead of 16:9. And quality was really far from top.
In fact, buying only the DVDs/BDs I like solved all the quality issues (multiple languages, multiple subtitles, no logo, better bitrates), and it was cheaper on the long run (~720€ paytv vs. ~100-300€ DVDs+BDs which I also keep , values per year).