Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 24th September 2012, 10:18   #14061  |  Link
andybkma

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Are you just talking about when the visible video image goes "black"? Or does the slowness also affect ZoomPlayer itself, e.g. the state of the play/stop buttons etc?

v0.83 might close a bit slower. Older versions didn't wait for D3D to be fully closed. v0.83 does wait. This change was necessary to avoid crashes which sometimes occurred with the old behaviour. However, if Overlay is slower than normal windowed mode, that may be something I could improve (not sure).

Edit, Changed answer : Yes, it does affect the Zoom Player control buttons as they move & react much slower with the new overlay area enabled. I see that most clearly now

Last edited by andybkma; 24th September 2012 at 11:22.
andybkma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2012, 10:21   #14062  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybkma View Post
mVR 83.1 doesn't affect Zoom Player itself, just the slowness of the file closing. But yes, overlay enabled is definitely closing slower than normal windowed mode. Cheers :-)
Still need to know whether it's just the visible video which seems to go away slower, or whether the ZoomPlayer buttons also react slower? Basically I need to know if madVR only updates the video area slower with Overlay enabled, or whether madVR also slows down ZoomPlayer, when closing the file.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2012, 10:45   #14063  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

With 0.83.1, occasionally I'll briefly see what I assume is a small madVR waiting(?) window pop-up for a split-second in the background while closing MPC-HC from windowed mode. Is that something you added? It flashes on-screen very quickly, so I've yet to get a good look, but I'm thinking it's a waiting dialog similar to one used for 3DLUT creation?

Last edited by cyberbeing; 24th September 2012 at 10:48.
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2012, 11:20   #14064  |  Link
andybkma

Quote:
Still need to know whether it's just the visible video which seems to go away slower, or whether the ZoomPlayer buttons also react slower? Basically I need to know if madVR only updates the video area slower with Overlay enabled, or whether madVR also slows down ZoomPlayer, when closing the file.
Oh okay, now that you phrase it that way I would have to definitely say that it slows down Zoom Player in addition to the video area due to the fact that the control buttons react much slower with overlay enabled.
andybkma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2012, 11:56   #14065  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
With 0.83.1, occasionally I'll briefly see what I assume is a small madVR waiting(?) window pop-up for a split-second in the background while closing MPC-HC from windowed mode. Is that something you added? It flashes on-screen very quickly, so I've yet to get a good look, but I'm thinking it's a waiting dialog similar to one used for 3DLUT creation?
Not sure where that's coming from. It could be a crash which madVR tries to analyze but the MPC-HC closedown might stop the crash analyzation before it's complete. Not sure. Can you make a screenshot? It's probably too short for that? What happens if you switch MPC-HC to a different renderer, after having played a video with madVR, and then play another video? In that situation the madVR instance shut be destroyed, too. Maybe if it's a crash we're talking about, it reappears in that situation, and can then be fully analyzed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybkma View Post
Oh okay, now that you phrase it that way I would have to definitely say that it slows down Zoom Player in addition to the video area due to the fact that the control buttons react much slower with overlay enabled.
Ok, thanks. Please try v0.83.2 (soon out in a couple of minutes). If that's not faster then that might just be the way it is.
Old 24th September 2012, 12:04   #14066  |  Link
jmone

Just watched a couple of BD's in JRMC using the Intel IGP 3000 with the new Overlay and no issues at all - very very good!
jmone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2012, 12:05   #14067  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

madVR v0.83.2 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

Code:
* some more Overlay improvements
Window resizing looks good to me now, probably even better than normal windowed mode. Any big problems left with Overlay mode (other than that it doesn't work for AMD users)?
Old 24th September 2012, 12:17   #14068  |  Link
ryrynz

Certainly improved. Still get the black screen on shutdown and playback. Stretching isn't updated in realtime thus a picture of the larger image is shown along with the smaller image overlayed on it when resizing and with fullscreen the window is shown before it goes into fullscreen. I wonder how much of this is driver related..
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2012, 12:22   #14069  |  Link
Budtz

And i still have problems with a black screen / freeze. when i switch to another video in the folder. I cant seem to get debugging to work. could any1 try and reporduce this. its fairly simple. go into a folder with several files and switch between them from withing the player
Budtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2012, 12:22   #14070  |  Link
jmone

V83.2 looks great on my 2 Monitor Setup (550Ti) with the new Overlay mode. Rock solid queues and when testing resizing it worked fine for me with the only oddity (and I don't care) is that if I position the playback window over the two monitors then the video only shows on one part, the other part is green... but who is going to watch a video like that anyway. Now to kick off the familly to test on the HTPC (IGP 3000).

One thing I don't get is in the options you have two checkboxs to select "enable windowed overlay" and also "enable auto fullscreen exclusive", should this not be a drop down as how can you have both?
jmone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2012, 12:29   #14071  |  Link
mzso

Seeing that much of the discussion was about gamma recently I was wondering hot to configure it properly. (Can anyone link to a giude?) Or why isn't it enough to change the monitor settings? This area is kind of misty for me.

Somewhat related: How do I set the display to correct/accurate colours. (without some sort of hardware device which I don't have)
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2012, 12:58   #14072  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Still get the black screen on shutdown and playback.
Can you describe this in a bit more detail, please?

Quote:
Stretching isn't updated in realtime thus a picture of the larger image is shown along with the smaller image overlayed on it when resizing
You mean the video is not updated? Or the window is not updated? Which zoom setting are you using? Does the problem only occur when downsizing the video window or also when upsizing? It's too bad that screenshots don't work with Overlay. It would be so much easier for me to understand what you mean with a screenshot...

Quote:
and with fullscreen the window is shown before it goes into fullscreen.
What do you mean? Can you describe it in more detail, please?

So 3 issues? Are we just talking about minor cosmetical issues? Or bigger problems? How does that compare to standard windowed mode? How can I reproduce these problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budtz View Post
And i still have problems with a black screen / freeze. when i switch to another video in the folder. I cant seem to get debugging to work. could any1 try and reporduce this. its fairly simple. go into a folder with several files and switch between them from withing the player
That works just fine here. Are you using NVidia or Intel? You sure you updated to v0.83.2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmone View Post
One thing I don't get is in the options you have two checkboxs to select "enable windowed overlay" and also "enable auto fullscreen exclusive", should this not be a drop down as how can you have both?
Overlay covers both windowed and fullscreen playback. Fullscreen exclusive mode works only in fullscreen playback. Personally, I'm using fullscreen exclusive mode for fullscreen playback and Overlay mode if the media player doesn't cover the whole screen. Works just fine in this combination, so both options are independent of each other.
Old 24th September 2012, 13:01   #14073  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

I'll see if I can catch a screenshot of it.

It seems like it says something like "Please wait while"

Edit: After about 50 tries I got it... It doesn't say anything useful though.

Edit2: I'm unable to reproduce it when changing renderers before I switch files as you suggested. Should I make a debug log, or would it not show anything meaningful? From what I can tell, that madVR dialog box doesn't have a chance of appearing until the MPC-HC window has completely disappeared after being closed.

Last edited by cyberbeing; 24th September 2012 at 13:31.
Old 24th September 2012, 13:21   #14074  |  Link
Blight
Software Developer

Here's some issues myself and the team encountered with v0.83.2:

Tried the new overlay mode on an NVIDIA GT520, checked debugging mode, overlay is a "+".
1. Resizing is much smoother compared to 0.83.1.
2. Enabling overlay mode when a video is playing resulted in a black screen until the video was reloaded (and graph re-created).
3. When switch the video from fullscreen on monitor 2 to windowed on monitor 1 (both FSE and Overlay checkboxes enabled), playback pauses. I think some red text appears for a split second before the image returns with the video paused.
4. It takes longer to clear the graph (About 1 second longer than v0.82.5), which appears as a black screen between track or just a black screen before ZP is closed. I didn't see any affect on the GUI responsiveness compared to 0.82.5, but I have only tested for a few minutes so far.
Old 24th September 2012, 13:22   #14075  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Can you describe this in a bit more detail, please?
My entire screen goes black, doesn't do that on my HD4000 though only the HD3000. Will need more testing (I'll look into it later)

The other issues (resizing (slow refresh), moving whilst paused and going fullscreen) are here in these videos. Screen capturing wouldn't pick up any of them.

The fullscreen issue is a minor nitpick (small blank window at the top left hand corner before maximize) The videos were done on the HD4000.

Quote:
Are we just talking about minor cosmetical issues?
Yup.

Last edited by ryrynz; 24th September 2012 at 13:24.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2012, 13:39   #14076  |  Link
Budtz

[QUOTE=madshi;That works just fine here. Are you using NVidia or Intel? You sure you updated to v0.83.2?[/QUOTE]

Yes im sure im using 83.2. it has worked flawlessly for many months untill now where i get a black screen and hang every time i switch video.

using nvidia gt570 card. any chance for a testbuild with the old code maybe as it was before with the old shutdown behaviou maybe?
Old 24th September 2012, 13:59   #14077  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

@Budtz

If it only happens with fullscreen exclusive mode, it's probably the same issue I reported. Freeze with black screen 100% of the time when switching or reloading videos in fullscreen exclusive mode.

Last edited by cyberbeing; 24th September 2012 at 14:08.
Old 24th September 2012, 14:05   #14078  |  Link
Budtz

Quote:
@Budtz

It it only happens with fullscreen exclusive mode, it's probably the same issue I reported. Freeze with black screen 100% of the time when switching or reloading videos in fullscreen exclusive mode.
yes excactly. thats the problem im experiancing
Old 24th September 2012, 14:15   #14079  |  Link
THX-UltraII

Quote:
Most importantly: madVR now supports using "Overlay" for windowed mode (requires Windows 7 or 8). This has several benefits and a few disadvantages:

+ seems to work around the levels problems with NVidia drivers
Mad, does this mean that I can now just install the latest Nvidia driver without the need to alter the .inf file at driver installation?
THX-UltraII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2012, 14:16   #14080  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Edit: After about 50 tries I got it... It doesn't say anything useful though.
That looks like a crash report in the making. Here's a special build which blocks the media player from closing down:

http://madshi.net/madVRpreventClose.rar

You'll have to manually terminate the media player with the task manager with this build. Maybe this build allows the exception report to be properly created?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blight View Post
2. Enabling overlay mode when a video is playing resulted in a black screen until the video was reloaded (and graph re-created).
That's weird, it doesn't happen for me. I'll try a couple of times, maybe I can reproduce it then. But it might help if you could create a madVR debug log from this situation.

Do you have Aero enabled or disabled? I've yet to try with Aero on. Maybe that's the difference...

Quote:
3. When switch the video from fullscreen on monitor 2 to windowed on monitor 1 (both FSE and Overlay checkboxes enabled), playback pauses. I think some red text appears for a split second before the image returns with the video paused.
Could you create a debug log for this, too? Unfortunately my NVidia PC only has one monitor. And my PC with 2 monitors has an AMD card, so I currently can't test Overlay with 2 monitors. It's really sad that AMD drivers don't support Overlay mode at all...

Quote:
4. It takes longer to clear the graph (About 1 second longer than v0.82.5), which appears as a black screen between track or just a black screen before ZP is closed. I didn't see any affect on the GUI responsiveness compared to 0.82.5, but I have only tested for a few minutes so far.
This is not specific to Overlay, I guess? I've changed the madVR shutdown behaviour in order to prevent random shutdown crashes - which were rare, but did occur. Now I'm waiting for D3D to fully close down before leaving the madVR destructor. I didn't wait for D3D in older versions. This will probably slow down madVR destroying a bit. But it should be good for stability. If you're worried about fast ZP closing, you could just call ExitProcess without destroying the madVR instance. Not nice, but it should work, I think. If you destroy and recreate madVR when switching files, not sure how to speed things up there. The new madVR build should be ok with you creating a new madVR instance while the old one is still alive (unlike older madVR builds). So maybe you could destroy the old madVR instance in a background thread while already creating the new one? The problem with this is that if the old instance has fullscreen exclusive mode, the new instance won't be able to go exclusive as long as the old instance hasn't left exclusive mode yet.

Quote:
My entire screen goes black, doesn't do that on my HD4000 though only the HD3000. Will need more testing (I'll look into it later)

The other issues (resizing (slow refresh), moving whilst paused and going fullscreen) are here in these videos. Screen capturing wouldn't pick up any of them.
Thanks for those videos - quite helpful! I think it might have to do with Aero. You have it enabled, correct? I've been testing with it disabled. Will try to enable it here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budtz View Post
Yes im sure im using 83.2. it has worked flawlessly for many months untill now where i get a black screen and hang every time i switch video.

using nvidia gt570 card. any chance for a testbuild with the old code maybe as it was before with the old shutdown behaviou maybe?
Ah, I see, you're talking about fullscreen exclusive mode, correct? I thought you were talking about Overlay mode. The FSE freeze is a totally different problem and has nothing to do with Overlay. I believe the freeze is a bug in MPC-HC and a new MPC-HC build should be able to fix it. I've already posted in the MPC-HC and MPC-BE threads about this freeze problem.

Unfortunately I can't go back to the previous shutdown behaviour. Due to the changes I did to support multiple madVR instances at the same time, when I go back to the old behaviour, there would be an instant crash now. The old behaviour was really bad, it was pure luck that it worked at all.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling