Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

 

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 24th November 2016, 11:56   #40701  |  Link
Sp00kyFox
Registered User
 
Sp00kyFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Switch from CUVID to DXVA2 CB In LAV.
I wasn't using CUVID. DXVA2 CB is my standard setting.
Sp00kyFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 13:25   #40702  |  Link
hannes69
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgel View Post
I will try to see what happens!

When I read that the coil whine is caused by the physical vibrations of a certain component, I feared that it might mean the component would degrade faster..
Simply no. Nothing is degrading faster. Coil whine means there is a quality issue on the manufacturers side who decided to choose components which are cheap and more prone to such issues. Coil whine is not affecting performance, heat, stability, function and so on. It is simply going on your nerves when too loud. It can be dependant on the load (amount of load and sort of load) as seen here. NGU probably creates a sort of load that triggers this phenomenon easier than other algorithms. Sounds like esoteric but can be physically possible.
I have a R7 250 Radeon card, can use NGU low for my use case (720p files) and have NO coil whine (XFX card).
If I would have coil whine I would try to fix it as mentioned earlier in this thread.
hannes69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 14:07   #40703  |  Link
Sparktank
47.952fps@71.928Hz
 
Sparktank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgel View Post
Dig deeper, SVP team advises clearly to NOT install SVP with recent Nvidia drivers, they break the drivers, performance goes a lot down for the entire card.

http://www.svp-team.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2671

It's something that I found on an easy search after I had a few black screens, but it gets worse, it can cause GPU to disconnect and eventually break down - this is known by SVP team and has been for a while, but they did NOT fix it yet.
I've not ever had that issue after upgrading to Win10.
For every update to NVidia, I've always chosen the Clean Install and rebooted to ensure things go smoothly.

I don't use Cuvid, not for a long time.
It's always been set to DXVA2 CB.

With current driver for NVidia on my GTX 750ti, I can use NGU-low on 1080p sources and SVP without frame drops.
The minute I try NGU-med, I get drops.
Maybe if I disable the Artifact Removal settings, I can use NGU-med.
__________________
Win10 (x64) build 18362| GPU Caps Viewer 1.42.4.0
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB (GP106) 3071MB/GDDR5 | (r435_95-4)
NTSC | DVD: R1 | BD: A
Intel Xeon X5660 @2.80GHz
Sparktank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 15:06   #40704  |  Link
Uoppi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 99
Does "NGU = Jinc" etc. in the OSD mean madvr is reverting to Jinc instead of using NGU (for whatever reason)?
Uoppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 15:22   #40705  |  Link
pirlouy
_
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: France
Posts: 634
This one thread for everything is boring to read, that's why there are some aggressive comments. It's difficult to find useful information/question between repetitive old questions from new/less advanced people or specific content from very advanced users.

I find this harder to read for everyone including Madshi, but he still prefers this so bad luck for guys like me.
I think I made a made a post with interesting (I think) stats which can allows users to verify if normal behavior or not. Already 10 pages away. Won't do this again.
pirlouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 15:37   #40706  |  Link
markanini
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannes69 View Post
Simply no. Nothing is degrading faster. Coil whine means there is a quality issue on the manufacturers side who decided to choose components which are cheap and more prone to such issues. Coil whine is not affecting performance, heat, stability, function and so on. It is simply going on your nerves when too loud. It can be dependant on the load (amount of load and sort of load) as seen here. NGU probably creates a sort of load that triggers this phenomenon easier than other algorithms. Sounds like esoteric but can be physically possible.
I have a R7 250 Radeon card, can use NGU low for my use case (720p files) and have NO coil whine (XFX card).
If I would have coil whine I would try to fix it as mentioned earlier in this thread.
Nice to hear from someone that understands electronics. I suspected these fears of coil whine were overblown. Especially now considering the fairly short practical lifespan of a graphics card.
markanini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 17:24   #40707  |  Link
Sp00kyFox
Registered User
 
Sp00kyFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirlouy View Post
I think I made a made a post with interesting (I think) stats which can allows users to verify if normal behavior or not. Already 10 pages away. Won't do this again.
don't let this big thread discourage you. I'm pretty sure based on madshis posts that he reads everything. and many other users do also, it's just that somtimes there isn't anything to add or say to a post, even if it shares interesting information.
Sp00kyFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 18:40   #40708  |  Link
ROKUGAN
Registered User
 
ROKUGAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgel View Post
Someone please sticky this!!!!!

DO NOT install SVP on Pascal GPUs based setups!!!!!!!

I made the ugly mistake of trying to use SVP on an 1080, madVR + mpcHC setup. That thing broke my drivers, I alost had to reinstall windows. After uninstalling it, madVR and MPC HC kept crashing, even reinstalling them, erasing all registry entries did not fix it.

Keep in mind, SVP breaks the Nvidia driver entirely!

On NGU, I don't use it until the coil whine will maybe get a fix. I'm scared of why no game and nothing else causes coil whine, but madVR w/ NGU does, so I'll just use it after this gets solved...
I have exactly that setup GTX 1080 + madVR + mpcHC/mpcBE + SVP4 and is working flawlessly
Both on 32&64 bits setups btw.
ROKUGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 20:37   #40709  |  Link
Q-the-STORM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uoppi View Post
Does "NGU = Jinc" etc. in the OSD mean madvr is reverting to Jinc instead of using NGU (for whatever reason)?
Do you mean "NGU > Jinc" ?
because that simply means you upscale to more than double resolution...
like a 720p video on a 2160p screen, you first double to 1440p with NGU and then upscale to 2160p with Jinc...

Last edited by Q-the-STORM; 25th November 2016 at 10:50.
Q-the-STORM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 20:42   #40710  |  Link
seiyafan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 161
For 720 to 2160, which one is usually higher in quality, double then upscale or quadruple then downscale?
seiyafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 21:09   #40711  |  Link
makakam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 60
I mostly watch 1080p sources on my benq w1070 which is projecting onto a 92" screen. My watching distance is about 2,30m and I appreciate what NGU does with chroma, it really makes a difference. I own a gtx960 and set NGU to high. Average rendering time is about 37ms, it's pretty high but as long as I don't get dropped frames I'm cool with it.
makakam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 21:45   #40712  |  Link
Anima123
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by seiyafan View Post
For 720 to 2160, which one is usually higher in quality, double then upscale or quadruple then downscale?
Madshi has mentioned earlier, NGU will support quadruple in one step instead of iterating as it do now.
Anima123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 23:34   #40713  |  Link
kasper93
MPC-HC Developer
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Poland
Posts: 556
Have you noticed high CPU usage when using NGU? https://i.imgbox.com/CNYlkAXK.png I have i7 5820K so it is ~88% of thread power so not much left here. Correct me, but most of workload should be GPU so is this some busy waiting? Or some memory copy back and forth? Probably not much can be done here but I figured I will ask
kasper93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 23:56   #40714  |  Link
huhn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 6,059
IVTC black boarder detection is running on the CPU are you using any of these?
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2016, 00:48   #40715  |  Link
ryrynz
Registered User
 
ryrynz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by markanini View Post
Nice to hear from someone that understands electronics.
There's been plenty of people who have weighed in with similar information over the previous pages, myself one of them. I wish people would understand how a thread works, getting a bit of this recently..
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2016, 01:00   #40716  |  Link
Oguignant
Registered User
 
Oguignant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 181
Does anyone recommend me best settings for 2k to 4k upscaling of REMUX mkv files?
__________________
"To infinity, and beyond!"
Oguignant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2016, 01:04   #40717  |  Link
Georgel
Visual Novel Dev.
 
Georgel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Bucharest
Posts: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirlouy View Post
This one thread for everything is boring to read, that's why there are some aggressive comments. It's difficult to find useful information/question between repetitive old questions from new/less advanced people or specific content from very advanced users.

I find this harder to read for everyone including Madshi, but he still prefers this so bad luck for guys like me.
I think I made a made a post with interesting (I think) stats which can allows users to verify if normal behavior or not. Already 10 pages away. Won't do this again.
I was also curious in this information!

I feel sorry if I'm not adding anything useful.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROKUGAN View Post
I have exactly that setup GTX 1080 + madVR + mpcHC/mpcBE + SVP4 and is working flawlessly
Both on 32&64 bits setups btw.
Well, it's good to hear that for someone it actually works well. Mine crashes at random times and especially on seeking the file, but the crashes are still there after uninstalling it, only DDU - ing the driver then reinstalling fixes it. Then again, I have a feeling that being a software dev, I might have a different set of libraries installed and such that could cause this. Impossible to track what exactly does it, I tried to study the crash logs but nothing very relevant came out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
There's been plenty of people who have weighed in with similar information over the previous pages, myself one of them. I wish people would understand how a thread works, getting a bit of this recently..

Sorry for this...

Coil whine is something really scary when you hear it and I would want to prolong the useful life of anything I have as much as I can. I did the same for my DAPs even though I sell every one of them after an year and a half or so, it's just the spirit to ind every thing I own.



I feel like I am to blame for opening my mouth here..............
Georgel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2016, 06:01   #40718  |  Link
har3inger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 139
Coil whine is completely harmless to GPUs. Sometimes, once your GPU ages enough, the coil whine will go away by itself. I wouldn't worry about it, although I understand how annoying it is to deal with.

In any case, if coil whine exists, it will generally happen under a good number of other high load situations. It's not really something that's fixable with software changes. You could try for an RMA?
har3inger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2016, 06:01   #40719  |  Link
Asmodian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Jose, California
Posts: 3,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anima123 View Post
Madshi has mentioned earlier, NGU will support quadruple in one step instead of iterating as it do now.
At the same time Madshi mentioned it will triple directly too, which would be ideal for 720p on 2160p.
__________________
madVR options explained
Asmodian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2016, 06:51   #40720  |  Link
austonrush
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post

Some screenshots would be nice. With SR4, if you don't mind, so I can see if SR really handles this better than NGU.

But I do agree, if you have sources with high compression artifacts, NGU will try to interpret the artifacts as important image detail. The current NGU version really needs high quality sources to shine.
Here are 4 samples. I've found adding grain to SD content really helps remove the proccessed look. I'm using level 2 in these images.

I'm also NOT using smoothen edges for SD content it is not required. It is required for HD...

Which one looks best to you? I should mention I'm getting a much better render performance with ngu low versus nnedi3 128 with SR3

thanks!

http://imgur.com/a/8MY6H
austonrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 16:21.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.