Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 12th January 2015, 15:08   #28021  |  Link
XMonarchY

Madshi, thank you so much for fixing madTPG. I couldn't get the 0.87.11 version to work with HCFR Calibration no matter what I tried. 0.87.10 worked, but there were some issues with using FullScreen, where patterns would play in FullScreen mode behind the madTPG window!

Now madTPG is very responsive and plays all the patterns without any issues at all! 3DLUT calibration is hassle-free once again, thanks to your excellent work and support!

madVR FTW - nothing beats it! Yet, I hope there will be more quality-improving goodies in the future!

Does G-Sync benefit film playback @ 23.976Hz with madVR or @ whichever other refresh rate (120Hz? 144Hz?) ? I figured it would run the film and screen at perfect 23.976Hz/Fps, making it the smoothest solution for film playback on compatible PC monitors, such as ASUS ROG Swift.

Last edited by XMonarchY; 12th January 2015 at 16:38.
Old 12th January 2015, 16:57   #28022  |  Link
a8213711

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
a PC mode usually disables most settings in a TV to lower input lag and give it the possiblity to show a pixel perfect image.

the change in saturation sounds like your TV needs full range but only gets limited.
a TV normally doesn't enter PC mode on it's own. so you should know if you set it up for this or not.

[quoteAlso let's remember it enters in this mode only after switching back from Windows Media Center.
The problem is that I suppose the preferable rate (50Hz from 25fps source) is enabled only entering this mode, but colors get worse. [quote
what refresh rate is madVR reporting be for you enter WMC and what after?

can you say why? for example you see ghosting or your GPU can't handle it or what is the issue?
With this "mode" I didn't mean PC mode, but this special mode in which enters after switching back from Media Center to a 25fps interlaced file, but actually I just realized it is enabled when my TV is set at 50Hz or 23.9Hz.
And is set at 50Hz: directly if I play a 25fps progressive file, and using the "alt+tab" method when I play a 25fps interlaced file (otherwise is at 59.9Hz).
As PC mode I think I enabled it once and for all; I can't say if it's actually enabled only at those 2 frequency.
Before and after WMC the refresh rate is always at 25.000 fps.
As Smooth Option: is too much power hungry for my low budget PC.

I just want my HTPC to always show the correct color gamma and to be always set to the properly refresh rate!
a8213711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2015, 21:31   #28023  |  Link
vazel

I'm getting green pixel artifacts with NNEDI3 enabled. I tried taking a screenshot but these artifacts don't show up in screenshots. Does anyone know what it could be and how to fix it?

Edit: Ok I was able to capture the artifacts in a screenshot by using printscreen instead of mpc-hc's built-in screenshot function. http://i.imgur.com/d2CkvKM.jpg

Last edited by vazel; 13th January 2015 at 02:50.
vazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2015, 23:36   #28024  |  Link
e-t172

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMonarchY View Post
Does G-Sync benefit film playback @ 23.976Hz with madVR or @ whichever other refresh rate (120Hz? 144Hz?) ? I figured it would run the film and screen at perfect 23.976Hz/Fps, making it the smoothest solution for film playback on compatible PC monitors, such as ASUS ROG Swift.
madVR doesn't support G-Sync. Enabling G-Sync with madVR will not gain you anything, and it won't make the video smoother. It will behave as if G-Sync is disabled, or maybe worse.
e-t172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2015, 00:51   #28025  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Note that G-Sync on many screens has a minimum refresh rate of 30 or 40 fps (depending on screen), so for full G-Sync compat at 24 fps, madVR would need to draw each frame at least twice, or the screen would drop out of G-Sync mode and re-draw the frame itself.
Old 13th January 2015, 19:33   #28026  |  Link
DigitalLF

What card would be best for MadVR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalLF View Post
I need to change my 280x i use in my HTPC.. that computer is used for well movie/series/web/mail no gaming. but PQ is priority 1 on that computer and the 2th priority is "heat vs performance"

What card would be best for MadVR? NNEDI3 128 neurons seems to demand a lot of the poor card :P
Old 13th January 2015, 20:11   #28027  |  Link
michkrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by vazel View Post
I'm getting green pixel artifacts with NNEDI3 enabled. I tried taking a screenshot but these artifacts don't show up in screenshots. Does anyone know what it could be and how to fix it?

Edit: Ok I was able to capture the artifacts in a screenshot by using printscreen instead of mpc-hc's built-in screenshot function. http://i.imgur.com/d2CkvKM.jpg
Try updating your drivers.
Check if the GPU is not overheating - run GPU-Z or similar to check temps while using NNEDI.
Try disabling DXVA decoding (if applicable).
Check if the GPU is not otherwise "bad" - run OCCT GPU test with error checking or similar tool.

Do post details of your config (hardware + software), if none of the above helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalLF View Post
What card would be best for MadVR?
We don't ask for "best" on this forum - read the rules
Sometimes integrated GPU can be good enough.
I'd rather ask what GPU can run smoothly with given setting, on given screen resolution, with given video format (resolution + fps + deinterlacing(on/off)), with minimum noise/heat or similar question.
Especially since 280x should be able to do NNEDI3 with 128 neurons for image luma doubling or chroma upscaling for SD content.
michkrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2015, 00:31   #28028  |  Link
IronRush

Hello guys!
I need some help please.

I don't know if madvr here is doing his job. I think it isn't upscalling properly.
I formatted my PC yesterday. Now I am using Windows 8.1.
I always used madvr. Older version. And now with new OS and rig, I want to bring more quality to the table.

When I open a video file in windowed mode, the file is always same resolution than default, nothing change.
Madvr calibration tab I set 1080p24 and 1080p60.
I think normal if I open a 480p file, it need to open with 1080p resolution for properly upscalling, no?

Could you guys give me some tips please?
If important, my rig is i5-3570k/gtx 970.

Thanks in advance!
IronRush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2015, 04:46   #28029  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-t172 View Post
madVR doesn't support G-Sync. Enabling G-Sync with madVR will not gain you anything, and it won't make the video smoother. It will behave as if G-Sync is disabled, or maybe worse.
If you enable g-sync with madVR the screen flickers constantly. It is not watchable.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2015, 05:00   #28030  |  Link
BetA13
cosmic entity

Quote:
Originally Posted by vazel View Post

had teh same problem, its the Driver...
ether dont use nnedi3 and use jinc or īrevert back to older driver..

http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?...ostcount=27880

http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?...ostcount=27912
BetA13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2015, 15:54   #28031  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by a8213711 View Post
With this "mode" I didn't mean PC mode, but this special mode in which enters after switching back from Media Center to a 25fps interlaced file, but actually I just realized it is enabled when my TV is set at 50Hz or 23.9Hz.
And is set at 50Hz: directly if I play a 25fps progressive file, and using the "alt+tab" method when I play a 25fps interlaced file (otherwise is at 59.9Hz).
As PC mode I think I enabled it once and for all; I can't say if it's actually enabled only at those 2 frequency.
As Smooth Option: is too much power hungry for my low budget PC.
what programs are running in the background when you try to use madVR?
the only potinal madVr bug i see here is that madVR stays at 60 hz and doesn't switch to 50 hz that's it. a simple screen from the OSD would have shown most of these issue.
Quote:
refreshrate and FPS are 2 different things.

Quote:
I just want my HTPC to always show the correct color gamma and to be always set to the properly refresh rate!
you just have to setup your TV correctly if you switch back from 60 HZ to something else like 50 hz and the picture looks strange that is a huge indicator you are using PC mode and your TV is leaving it.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2015, 02:26   #28032  |  Link
Fullmetal Encoder

Has anyone else had any persistent issues with UAC pop-ups upon running a video asking if I want to allow madHcCtrl.exe to make changes to my computer? On my original install of madVR I hadn't had this issue but have been receiving this response ever since upgrading to the latest version. I'm not sure what I could be doing differently. I unzipped the madVR download, selected and dragged and dropped the files into my current madVR folder location, "Program Files (x86)", then right-clicked the install.bat file and chose to run with administrator privileges. I'm using the latest Windows 8.1 Professional. Before copying the files over I did make sure to uninstall it properly.
Fullmetal Encoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2015, 02:47   #28033  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonQ View Post
Thanks for the explanation. So what is the generally agreed minimum refresh rate for modern LCDs to avoid flicker then? Is G-Sync's 30 Hz minimum about right here? Or perhaps it's different for TN/MVA/IPS?
It is different for different screens, both the major technologies (TN/MVA/IPS) and for the individual panels (slow or fast IPS for example). It even varies for the color displayed, some colors will change faster than others.

Update rate is similar in that the starting and ending color has a huge impact on the speed of the transition. I have noticed that even fast MVA or IPS panels still have some color transitions that take well over 20 ms.

This is another reason variable frame rate is a little more tricky to get right even if it was possible to present frames with very accurate timing (without Windows stalling madVR for 10s of milliseconds randomly).
Old 15th January 2015, 16:43   #28034  |  Link
peplegal

Hi guys, some little help here...

I have a HD4850/512 and a HD6450/1GB.

I've successfully installed both in my HTPC, but switching between them is tricky due to 2 different version of drivers (HD6450 => Catalyst 14.4...and HD4850 => Catalyst 13.1)

Not sure if I did a good thing. I need to keep the old one for games, but I've heard the new one seems to be better for movies (using madVR)...is that right ?

Strangely, the old 4850 is showing better rendering times ( 6mS for lanczos upscaling 720p -> 1080p) , comparing to 29mS for HD6450.

Could anyone else confirm those times ?

If they are consistent, then it's better uninstall the HD6450...right ?

Thanks for any help.
peplegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2015, 19:46   #28035  |  Link
Asmodian

The 4850 was a fairly high end card (why you want it for games) while the HD6450 was very low end. MadVR uses the same hardware games do so it makes sense the 4850 runs madVR faster. Also users have reported that 13.2 runs madVR better than Catalyst 14.4, they are speaking about NNEDI3 performance but maybe the older driver helps here as well.

I recommend you uninstall the the HD6450.
Old 15th January 2015, 19:51   #28036  |  Link
ikakun

Quote:
Originally Posted by peplegal View Post
I've heard the new one seems to be better for movies (using madVR)...is that right ?
In using EVR with DXVA maybe, but not when using madVr.

Last edited by ikakun; 15th January 2015 at 20:18.
ikakun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2015, 08:59   #28037  |  Link
kalston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
If you enable g-sync with madVR the screen flickers constantly. It is not watchable.
It doesn't do that for me. It flickers for like 2 seconds (just like when starting a game) and then it's perfectly stable and not flickery at all.

But yes, it doesn't do anything since madVR is adjusting the framerate it sends based on the monitor refresh rate it reads...

Also, on my machine with two different GPUs (gtx 670 and gtx 970) it results in abnormal 100% GPU usage (only with video playback and madVR as a renderer) resulting in very low performance (insufficient for upscaling properly with jinc 3 for example). That's purely a G-Sync/madVR bug though, maybe it doesn't even happen with all driver versions. But it's not worth trying to fix it for reasons explained above.
kalston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2015, 20:17   #28038  |  Link
egandt

Remote access to madTPG

I'm trying to Calman access the madTPG remotely, to generate a 3DLUT, however I can not get it to connect, I disabled all firewalls (source/destination) and even started the madHcCtrl to see if that helped, while I can access a local copy without issues, I can not access a remote copy, its as if it is not running or is not running on a port other than 127.0.0.1. I'm using the latest 87.13 release.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
ERIC

Got it to work, you need to have madvrCtrl running and enable network access, I assume that madTPG communicates through madvrCtrl.

Last edited by egandt; 17th January 2015 at 21:25. Reason: updating what I've done
egandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2015, 02:27   #28039  |  Link
egandt

Following up now using a 3Dlut with madvr and watching anime

I found that enabling the 3Dlut help with the color and gamma, but introduces a large number of artifacts when watching shows with large amounts of constant flat color for instance Anime (Sky, faces, buildings, ...), and close ups of faces. For now I have disabled it while looking for the cause and a solution.
I used the default which contained about 1800 samples to create the 3Dlut, I'm thinking of trying with more samples, but also wanted to ask is this expected?

Thanks,
ERIC
egandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2015, 06:20   #28040  |  Link
vivan
/人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Quote:
Originally Posted by egandt View Post
but introduces a large number of artifacts when watching shows with large amounts of constant flat color for instance Anime (Sky, faces, buildings, ...), and close ups of faces.
You mean banding? If yes, try debanding (processing -> artefact removal). If it helps then the problem is in source (it contains banding which is less noticeable without your 3Dlut).
vivan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling