Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 2nd July 2017, 10:32   #44261  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post

Ok, so you're asking for a new feature because you've found bugs in the existing feature? I'm sorry, but that's not how I'm working. If I added a new feature any time a user found bugs in an existing feature, soon madVR would have thousands of different features, all competing with each other for the same functionality.

Let's work on fixing the bugs instead, ok?

If you get a crash, please press on the "show bug report" button, then press Ctrl+C to copy the bug report into the clipboard, then upload it somewhere (not here) for me to look at.

If you have videos where madVR constantly changes the black bar detection rectangle, please upload a sample for me.
Here is a small sample with video 2.39:1 changing for a little to 2.85:1. Option used is zoom small black bars away.http://www3.zippyshare.com/v/BIJ9EDmS/file.html
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2017, 10:35   #44262  |  Link
ryrynz

Never mind. >.<

Last edited by ryrynz; 2nd July 2017 at 11:03.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2017, 11:34   #44263  |  Link
takenori

is it just me or restore to default setting doesnt work anymore? (probably around 0.91.09)
with run as admin the setting wont restored.
today i upgraded to 0.91.11, i uninstalled the old madvr, delete the folder, and execute 091.11 from a different folder, yet the old setting still remains.
mpc-hc 64 with win10 64 home with the latest update 1503.447
takenori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2017, 11:45   #44264  |  Link
ryrynz

Nothing has changed in the batch file since it was created. It does two things related to your settings, rename your settings.bin to settings.bak and delete the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\madshi\madVR registry key.
Time to investigate where your settings are being kept..
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2017, 11:47   #44265  |  Link
mitchmalibu

Quote:
Nah, just be patient...
That's some quality teasing !

Otherwise, reporting on trying to get 10bit ouput in D3D11 windowed (using 32bit chain, MPC-BE latest beta, latest nvidia drivers)
- SDR video : works ok, OSD indicates 10bit output while in fullscreen windowed
- HDR video : works ok out of fullscreen, but I get a black screen as soon as I switch to fullscreen windowed (I have to switch back to my monitor and go back to the TV to get a picture again)

I managed to get it to work once last evening, but no luck since then. Tried to change some rendering option (window overlay, present each vsync, ...) but no luck. Other than that everything works.

Thanks !
mitchmalibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2017, 11:50   #44266  |  Link
jerryleungwh

@madshi thanks maybe I'll try contact my computer manufacturer or intel about the drivers. But in the mean time if I somehow managed to manually switch the tv into hdr mode then do the passthrough it should look exactly the same right?

我從使用 Tapatalk 的 SM-G9350 發送
jerryleungwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2017, 13:18   #44267  |  Link
clsid

madshi, could you add a function to the settings API for resetting settings? Preferably with a path value, so specific subsections can be reset.
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2017, 13:25   #44268  |  Link
HomeY_

Great progress and info after reading the last few pages

I am struggling with my setup though, and hope someone has some advise.
I've been using MadVR without issues the last few years, with my 1080p plasma. Last thursday i bought a 4k OLED and yesterday upgraded my HTPC with an Gigabyte 1050 Ti 4GB GPU.

With the plasma, i was running HDMI through my AVR (Denon 2808), but since that can't do 4k i decided to connect the TV and the AVR both to the GPU, and i think that's were the issues start...
For the AVR audio to work, i have to either have the display setting set to Extended or Clone. Extended is very annoying when browsing, since the cursor goes outside my (visual) screen (TV) and it messes up my desktop and taskbar. Desktop icons get 'removed' (probably moved outside the screen) and the taskbar gets raised to about 3 lines...
Clone seems to mess up colors and other stuff, because the Denon can't do more than 1080p.

I've set up madVR to switch to all 2160p modes (no 1080p) and that seems to work fine for HD material. As soon as i play HDR, brightness /colors seems to go nuts.

Any advise on how to connect my hardware now so i can watch HD & HDR movies?

Also when i enable HDR on the TV HDMI port, i get a lot of flickering pixels 'snow' and TV seems to be switching between HDR and standard picture mode. Although the HDMI cable lists it can do 2160p@60Hz, i'm wondering if it's HDR capable, but i've got a new cable on it's way which should be delivered in a few hours, so hopefully that fixes those issues.

MSI B250 PC MATE motherboard, thought hooking up the Denon to that and the TV to the GPU would solve things, but (even though Nvidia control panel only sees 1 TV/device), windows still sees both, and i still need to clone or extend for both video & audio.
Been struggling with settings for a few days now, so hopefully someone can shine some light on this and help me forward!

TNX in advance!
HomeY_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2017, 13:57   #44269  |  Link
mrcorbo

Quote:
So you're using native DXVA decoding? The problem goes away when using DXA copyback? You say it happens in "fullscreen". So it does not happen in windowed mode? How strongly incorrect are the colors? Just slightly? Or totally?
Yes, DXVA native and using copyback prevents the issue. My setup has some performance issues with copyback, though, so I am just turning the options off. It only happens in fullscreen, windowed mode looks fine. And the colors are totally wrong. Red for blue and super dark kind of wrong.

Also, using the Windows HDR API still causes the same system crash in fullscreen non-exclusive mode. If I activate HDR mode in Windows and play a video in windowed mode everything is fine. Within a few seconds of switching to fullscreen non-exclusive the display blanks out, the PC becomes unresponsive and, after about a minute, the PC reboots. Still 100% reproducible.

Edit: Now that I have some other video apps trying to send HDR metadata through the Windows API I'm seeing the same behavior from those. So, definitely a driver issue. One of the times I saw this, the system didn't become unreposive right away and I saw after a reboot a bunch of event viewer logs from nvlddmkm reporting "page fault" and "Variable String too Large" errors.

Last edited by mrcorbo; 2nd July 2017 at 18:55.
mrcorbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2017, 14:04   #44270  |  Link
mrcorbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchmalibu View Post
HDR video : works ok out of fullscreen, but I get a black screen as soon as I switch to fullscreen windowed (I have to switch back to my monitor and go back to the TV to get a picture again)
Try going into the Nvidia control panel and under "Change resolution" set "Use Nvidia color settings" for the color space. Find a valid 10 or 12 bit setting (I use 4:2:0 12bit as this gives me correct-looking desktop colors when i switch to HDR in Windows). See if experimenting with those settings get you anywhere.
mrcorbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2017, 15:42   #44271  |  Link
mitchmalibu

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcorbo View Post
Try going into the Nvidia control panel and under "Change resolution" set "Use Nvidia color settings" for the color space. Find a valid 10 or 12 bit setting (I use 4:2:0 12bit as this gives me correct-looking desktop colors when i switch to HDR in Windows). See if experimenting with those settings get you anywhere.
Going to 4:2:0 12bit did the trick (I was using 4:2:2 10bit, which should have worked ?).

Now that D3D11 windowed 10bit is working, I noticed something strange using it : the picture gets noticeably darker when I go fullscreen, similar to using wrong levels (pc vs tv). The weird thing is that the image gets brighter if I move the mouse while fullscreen, and it goes dark again as soon as the mouse cursor disappear.

My display is set on pc levels on madvr, as it always have been to compensate for the nvidia internal pc to tv levels conversion.

Edit : I did a quick comparison with the internal media player on my TV and I can confirm that with D3D11 windowed fullscreen 10bit and HDR content, I have to set madvr to output tv levels to avoid getting black crush and get a picture close to the tv player.

Last edited by mitchmalibu; 2nd July 2017 at 16:43.
mitchmalibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2017, 18:56   #44272  |  Link
ABDO

[QUOTE=madshi;1810884]

but to my eyes NGU Sharp looks significantly better. NGU is slightly softer, but is much cleaner and consequently looks more natural to my eyes.

thanks madshi ,tottly agree with you، I'm sure that ngu Unbeatable and do unbelievable result even when Compare it to waifu2x ، Honestly ido not even know how did you do that amazing ruselt with this speed in the same time، the only diffrent betwen waifu2x and ngu is the denoise، waifu2x in 2d Anime can tottly clean low bitrate compresing artifacts ، but much much much slower than ngu.
please take looke at some dirty comparison images here
http://www.mediafire.com/file/zkq3jw...creenshots.rar

but in normal life content ، 3d Anime and 2d clean Anime ngu do great job at all . it easily beat Nnedi3+SuperRes with less speed.and clean، sharp as waifu2x even with less ringing and 100x faster
ABDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2017, 22:14   #44273  |  Link
TheShadowRunner

A quick word to tell you I'm still looking forward to the test-build madshi (with "* last video frame is now remembered for 2 seconds when stopping graph" disabled or optional, to test if it's the change responsible for the DVD playback crash on XP).
(no hurry, just worried you'll forget ^^;)
Old 2nd July 2017, 22:44   #44274  |  Link
krmit

madVR - crash report.zip
krmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2017, 22:55   #44275  |  Link
galneon

Is there still a possibility that nearest neighbor image upscaling will return one day? I know it may seem niche, but it's really nice for vintage gameplay footage. Sad to see something go away due to UI design decisions.
galneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2017, 00:22   #44276  |  Link
Blue_MiSfit
Derek Prestegard IRL

Hey folks! Would appreciate some thoughts on my issues with HDR output to an LG OLED using MadVR

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...07#post1811007

[edit] Never mind, this is the same FSE problems with latest nVidia drivers that was discussed a few pages back[/edit]

Last edited by Blue_MiSfit; 3rd July 2017 at 01:02.
Blue_MiSfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2017, 02:24   #44277  |  Link
oddball

So I am still in the situation whereby I can only get HDR if FSE is disabled and if I hover over certain system tray icons. It times out after a few seconds though and goes back to washed out colors. I can only get it to stick if I actually click on the MadVR systray icon and don't move or click away for several seconds. After that I can click anywhere and it stays in HDR mode. EXCEPT if I click on the MPC video playback window.

AMD RX 480 with latest drivers.

Is this an AMD driver issue? Why does it work OK with Win10's Film & TV player?

EDIT: Sorry just noticed the post(s) above already mentioning it.

Last edited by oddball; 3rd July 2017 at 02:26.
oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2017, 03:08   #44278  |  Link
johnnylaiyee

Tested the new v0.91.11 build last night
Now my TV can automatically switch to HDR mode in MPC-BE x64 even in Windowed mode
The seeking time is significantly faster in HDR mode compare to the last build
Great update! Madshi!

Last edited by johnnylaiyee; 3rd July 2017 at 03:15.
johnnylaiyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2017, 03:17   #44279  |  Link
valdeski

Quote:
Originally Posted by galneon View Post
Is there still a possibility that nearest neighbor image upscaling will return one day? I know it may seem niche, but it's really nice for vintage gameplay footage. Sad to see something go away due to UI design decisions.
Was it really removed completely? There is a keyboard shortcut for it.
valdeski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2017, 10:53   #44280  |  Link
ogakul

I get dropping and repeating frames if I use custom display modes like 2160p23. If I disable custom display modes and run it in 2160p60 it runs without drops. Input material are 1080p h264 mkv's

Im using NGU AA high for upscaling the rest is set to "let madvr decide". Chrome Upscaling is set to NNEDI3 32 neurons.

Intel 4790K, GTX 980TI OC. Playing on a 2160p 10-bit TV

Any suggestions?
ogakul is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling