Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > DVD2AVI / DGIndex
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 1st March 2005, 16:38   #1  |  Link
hankduck

conversion question

I want to re-edit a few DVDs I made (non-commercial) and have been trying to read all I can about the various methods. I need to convert to AVI for this.

On reading the guides to the various applications that ostensibly do this, it seems that when I get near the end of the guide, the terminology changes from simply AVI to xvid/dvid AVI or some other combination making me wonder if these are different from what I ultimately want, which are AVIs I can use in editors like Studio9 or Adobe Elements to make DVDs that play in stand-alone DVD players.

I would appreciate any help with clarifying this.[b]

Hank
Old 1st March 2005, 16:59   #2  |  Link

When you get to the final step of saving as an AVI, you have to choose a particular codec, which determines the type of compression that is used. You can choose from a large number of available codecs. You will be trading off quality against file size. For intermediate editing, ideal would be a lossless codec like HUFFYUV, as long as you have enough disk space. If you are space limited you can try an MJPEG codec, or even DivX/XviD with a high bitrate.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2005, 17:33   #3  |  Link
ppera2

AVI means audio video interleaved, and it is just container. Audio and video can have both it's own codec. We have now lot of diverse codecs with various compression rates and purpose.

Must add that I would avoid creation of intermediate AVI files if it's possible. Creating such AVI means one step more - it costs time and quality (except lossless codecs, even them 'lose' something by colorspace conv.), many disk space .

It would be best if your editing programm can work with VOB or Mpeg2 files, then no need for AVI, only for demultiplex in case of Mpeg2.

Good solution is usage of frameserver. AVISynth is very fast and good supported, but if your programs doesn't accept AVS scripts you may try to use Virtual Dub as frameserver by creating pseudo AVI files. Look in guides and manuals how to set V Dub to work with Mpeg2 - DVD2AVI, Vfapi...

Last edited by ppera2; 1st March 2005 at 17:35.
ppera2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2005, 13:19   #4  |  Link
Kilyan

feed video and audio at the same time

Hi there!

I was wondering if DgIndex could make a .d2v file of a dvb recorded mpeg file (by progdvb) with both audio and video?
It would make things easier, then an avisynth script,wich can be imported in virtualdub.
If I feed the mpeg in virtualdubmod and use crop, lanczosresize, cutting, and 2 pass xvid, it is much slower, than with d2v, with an avysinth script. The only difference is that virtualdubmod handles audio (it decodes to wav and this way it can cut it with the video), but I could not find a way to make a handler by DgIndex to use the audio too.
Is there a way to use both audio and video in d2v file?
(cutting accuretly, and preserve sync is the key)
Thanks
Kilyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2005, 14:56   #5  |  Link

Add your audio using the "Audio/WAV audio" menu pulldown of VirtualDub. Use BeSweet (or equivalent for conversions).

Last edited by Guest; 5th March 2005 at 14:59.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2005, 15:12   #6  |  Link
ppera2

Re: feed video and audio at the same time

Quote:
Originally posted by Kilyan
Hi there!

I was wondering if DgIndex could make a .d2v file of a dvb recorded mpeg file (by progdvb) with both audio and video?
Is there a way to use both audio and video in d2v file?
(cutting accuretly, and preserve sync is the key)
Thanks
I don't see need for what you ask. AVISynth handles audio very well.
Only trouble is that you need to 'bother' with AudioDub(*) command Just take a look in Docs of AVISynth.
It will be synced (unless you use AssumeFps() ), it will cut with video (trim command).
And all it work much faster than Mpeg2 V Dub Mod or Vfapi solution.
Old 5th March 2005, 21:09   #7  |  Link
Kilyan

Sorry, perhaps I didn't told what I wanted.
What do I have to switch or not switch in dgindex when loading the mpg file, so that when I save the project, the project handles audio too?

LoadPlugin("c:\utils\dvd2avi\dgdecode.dll")
mpeg2source("d:\record\record.d2v")
LanczosResize(512,384,16,6,690,566)
Then this?
Audiodub()

this script is then loaded in virtualdub, so that the sequence can be cut (I have to see what where I am cutting that's why trim is not used) and then saved in xvid format. I mean I want to use virtualdub (not mod, to be faster), but what to do with the audio part, so that it would be possible to cut with the video?

Thanks
Old 5th March 2005, 21:37   #8  |  Link
Kilyan

I made this one:

LoadPlugin("c:\utils\dvd2avi\dgdecode.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\utils\dvd2avi\mpasource.dll")
video=mpeg2source("d:\record\record.d2v").Lanczos4Resize(512,384,16,6,690,566)
audio=delayaudio(mpasource("d:\record\record_-29ms.mpa", normalize = false), -0.029)
AudioDub(video, audio)

The audio part from the dvb clip is extracted by "demux" from dgindex.
Is the the way to do it? One more question the audio delay should be positive or negative in the correction?
Old 6th March 2005, 22:37   #9  |  Link
ppera2

That's the way. If stays -29, then audio delay is negative, actually no delay but advance.