Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation

Old 18th January 2004, 11:42   #1  |  Link
brett

D2SRoBa Conditional Sizing Pass -- Why?

I can understand the reason for a Conditional Sizing Pass in D2SRoBa when your target is undersized or oversized. That's obvious. But...

Why is there a "Q over" option for the Conditional Sizing Pass? If your movie is 100% on target, why do you want a sizing pass just because it has a high Q? Is this actually supposed to help quality? If so, in what way does it help? I mean, if it helps, I'll just leave it at 25 or lower since I usually encode at night.

Manolito's post here seems to imply that the "Q over" sizing pass is totally useless:
Does a sizing pass always improve quality?

If this is true, why does the option exist?
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2004, 19:11   #2  |  Link
tylo
Author of D2SRoBa

Look from this post:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...117#post411117

The CCE manual says something like : Q1 ~ 40 : Priority of quality over compressability. Above this, CCE will do compromizes on bitrate allocation. I guess this is what can be improved by doing more passes, but I haven't done any comparisons on this.

Last edited by tylo; 18th January 2004 at 19:18.
tylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2004, 23:39   #3  |  Link
bobwillis

Hi,

My 'test' was done with Saving Private Ryan (region 1). The Q of this movie is over 70. If you look at chapter 9 (the scene in the church when Miller talks to Oppem), black blocking is obvious on Miller's face with a single OPV pass. The improvement with the additional VBR pass was pretty obvious to me.

I didn't do any more comparative tests, but this proved to me that enabling the sizing pass was a good idea for high Q material.

Regards,
Bob
bobwillis is offline   Reply With Quote