Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 5th September 2012, 20:50   #13801  |  Link
Pat357

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajp_anton View Post
I fail to see how those things matter (forgot to say I use LAV for decoding, not madVR's internal ones), as it's madVR that is using the CPU. LAV obviously does nothing when the video is paused, but here you go:
Tested on three clips just now, they all use the same 20-30% CPU:
Vid 1. 1920x1080 24p, x264-encoded, ~15Mbit/s
Vid 2. 320x240 25p, XviD, ~500kbit/s
Vid 3. 960x720 60p, x264 4:4:4 10bit, 10Mbit/s
Display is 1280x800.
If I look at these, it seems that something unrelated to playing the video is taking a lot of CPU cycles.
Say :
Vid 2 = 20% - some overhead = 15 %
Vid 1 en 3 are a lot "heavier" for decoding, scaling, anti-ring algo
The additional 10% doesn't seem correct, the difference should be much more CPU load (no HW decoding is used, right?)
Something seems completely wrong here...

Do you know Process Explorer from Sysinternals ?
Please download it and unpack it in an empty directory (doesn't need installation) and run it.
This gives you a more detailed view from your CPU consumption.
Pat357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2012, 21:53   #13802  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

I havent followed all this stuff for a while, is it actually possible to watch a 3D blu-ray (iso, if needed) with madvr and/or mpc-hc? if not which other players can I use for that?
Old 5th September 2012, 23:09   #13803  |  Link
ajp_anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat357 View Post
If I look at these, it seems that something unrelated to playing the video is taking a lot of CPU cycles.
Say :
Vid 2 = 20% - some overhead = 15 %
Vid 1 en 3 are a lot "heavier" for decoding, scaling, anti-ring algo
The additional 10% doesn't seem correct, the difference should be much more CPU load (no HW decoding is used, right?)
Something seems completely wrong here...

Do you know Process Explorer from Sysinternals ?
Please download it and unpack it in an empty directory (doesn't need installation) and run it.
This gives you a more detailed view from your CPU consumption.
Again, decoding should have nothing to do with it, because the videos are *paused*. When running, I can't really say what CPU usage is reasonable or not, but when paused there is reason to see what's wrong.

Process Explorer is what I'm using to see that it's madVR that's causing it. The overwhelming majority is used by
madVR.ax!DllMain+0x24c10
whatever all that means.
ajp_anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2012, 04:09   #13804  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

ajp_anton must be experiencing that strange high CPU load bug which has affected <1% of madVR users, supposedly since early versions. If madVR threads are shown as the source of the high CPU load in Process Explorer, maybe posting a madVR debug log would reveal something interesting.
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2012, 04:24   #13805  |  Link
pie1394

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajp_anton View Post
Process Explorer is what I'm using to see that it's madVR that's causing it. The overwhelming majority is used by
madVR.ax!DllMain+0x24c10
whatever all that means.
I have a mini-PC which the equipment and OS setup are very similar to yours. The only difference is between GeForce 320M (32sp) vs ION-LE (16sp). Yet your problem hasn't happened to my system for a very long time regardless of following combinations:

MPC-BE : 1.7.2.4360 (BE mod) , 1.0.0.833 / 933 / 942
madVR: 0.82.5 (w/i AntiRingPatch#6 ... But it doesn't matter) + Chroma Lanczos3 + Luma Bilinear
[General Setting] UnChk, Chk, Chk, Chk / Chk, Chk / Chk
[Window Mode] Queue=5, NF / F+W / NF / NF
[FSE Mode] Chk/Chk/UnChk, Queue=5, NF / F+W / NF / NF
LavFilter + LavVideo (no CUDA) + LavAudio: 0.51.3-18-g840eda7
GeForce Driver: 285.62 / 296.10 / 306.02
Display mode:
1920x1200 60 Hz with Dell U2412M 24" ,
1400x1050 60 Hz with Samsung 203B 20" (broken in the beginning of this year)

I recommend MPC-BE 1.0.0.833 in case that automatic Full-screen playback with madVR is needed. It has some broken issues on other versions. For example:

[MPC-HC BE Mod]
Player program may not be 100% terminated with madVR + auto-refresh rate changer if Alt-F4 is pressed during video playback. Madshi suggested it is MPC-HC's responsibility to deal with that. I agree with him since it does not have such issue with the MPC-BE 1.0.0.833.

[MPC-BE 1.0.0.933 / 942]
The playback will not be started at full-screen state with madVR. It needs to press Alt-Enter manually. (not quite convenient for HTPC usage)

Last edited by pie1394; 6th September 2012 at 04:40.
pie1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2012, 07:31   #13806  |  Link
Nachbar

Color Calibration

Hello I have a .icm profile that came with my monitor and I have implemented the values according to the guide at: http://files.nyaa.eu/HOW_DID_I_PLAYED_BACK.txt

Basically it says

Code:
18. Color management using yCMS is always recommended, but it is only required if you use a wide gamut display.
    This is done by selecting "calibrate this display by using yCMS" under "devices" -> [Display] -> "calibration" and
    filling out at least the "primaries / gamut measurements" table on the "yCMS" tab.
    If you do not have any suitable hardware, but you do have a proper ICC profile, you can acquire at least the XYZ values
    for red, green, blue, and white point by using an application such as ICC Profile Inspector
    - http://www.color.org/profileinspector.xalter - and double-clicking on rXYZ, gXYZ, bXYZ, and wtpt, respectively.
    Change the format from Yxy to XYZ and fill out as appropriate. Click on "save".
Does this look correct? pic shows the red value

Also since it is already set as the color profile in the color management does madvr still require this?
Nachbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2012, 13:49   #13807  |  Link
turbojet

Xello: in madvr settings check devices>[device]>properties and select pc levels. madvr doesn't support pixel shaders currently but in this case madvr is setup better if you have multiple displays that have different color range.

Speaking of cpu usage, I noticed process explorer shows 15-25% when paused while windows 7 task manager shows 0-1% but I think task manager is correct because a paused video doesn't slow down a 100% x264 encode. Maybe some process explorer bug.

MPC-BE not only broke auto fullscreen but also broke saving window size/positions. Been waiting months for official release before notifying the developers. BE 4360 until then.

Last edited by turbojet; 6th September 2012 at 14:40.
turbojet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2012, 15:02   #13808  |  Link
Xello

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojet View Post
Xello: in madvr settings check devices>[device]>properties and select pc levels. madvr doesn't support pixel shaders currently but in this case madvr is setup better if you have multiple displays that have different color range.
That's what i'm on, I tried switching to tv levels and it makes it even brighter so that's no good. Back to PC levels, but it's still too bright.

Did you try the EVR-CP fix for that 5 second clip? Can you achieve that result madVR?

thanks
Xello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2012, 18:23   #13809  |  Link
Keiyakusha
契約者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachbar View Post
Hello I have a .icm profile that came with my monitor and I have implemented the values according to the guide at: http://files.nyaa.eu/HOW_DID_I_PLAYED_BACK.txt
I'm not sure how it works but i have a feeling that profile you see on DVD with drivers only works for default factory settings. For example I use much lower brightness and when I do calibration I have to set gamma higher so reference picture will look right. Obviously profile that came out of this calibration is quite different from the one that comes with drivers. EDIT: but this is what microsoft's calibration suggests. other test images suggest different stuff and default icm profile actually works with them.

Quote:
Also since it is already set as the color profile in the color management does madvr still require this?
This is mystery to me too. But I think if windows already uses correct profile, maybe you need to set "display already calibrated" or "disable calibration" in madvr. or maybe not! This is just something to think about. However maybe in exclusive mode madvr bypasses windows settings? That would explain why you still need specify profile. Personally I don't use exclusive mode.

Last edited by Keiyakusha; 6th September 2012 at 19:04.
Keiyakusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2012, 21:39   #13810  |  Link
turbojet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xello View Post
Did you try the EVR-CP fix for that 5 second clip? Can you achieve that result madVR?

thanks
Yes and it's too dark on other videos, like full range on a limited range tv. I'm not convinced the credits aren't supposed to have a gray background, it's not washed out. I watched Margin Call a few months ago and all I remember is it wasn't very good. Do the blacks during the movie look accurate?

If you want to darken the picture like that shader, you can increase gamma in madvr settings>device>color & gamma.
turbojet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2012, 21:57   #13811  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
There are three parts to calibration, white point, gamut, and gamma.

Setting up color management in Windows 7 only changes white point and gamma so setting it in MadVR is still helpful. You need to make sure you set the values to what they are with the current monitor and OS settings. I notice fairly different whites with different brightness/contrast settings but the primaries usually stay about the same. Gamma can be quite different but without a meter lets ignore it.

That looks about correct for the red primary, it is also almost exactly on sRGB so if your green and blue primaries are also so close you might just use Windows color management for the white point and set "already calibrated" in MadVR as your gamut is already correct (at least as far as the icm profile knows).
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2012, 22:09   #13812  |  Link
Xello

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojet View Post
Yes and it's too dark on other videos, like full range on a limited range tv. I'm not convinced the credits aren't supposed to have a gray background, it's not washed out. I watched Margin Call a few months ago and all I remember is it wasn't very good. Do the blacks during the movie look accurate?

If you want to darken the picture like that shader, you can increase gamma in madvr settings>device>color & gamma.
The blacks on the credits are the black floor of the entire film, and the blacks during the film never get any darker than that if left alone. When I do the shader method with EVRCP it looks 100% right, the black floor is ref16 and the film looks great. Without the fix or on madVR the blacks are the greys (looks ref30 ish) you see in the credits which is wrong to me.

This is the 2nd film this has happened with so I anticipate it not being the last, which is why I was looking for a solution using madVR as it's annoying having to not use it. The previous film was japanese BD of 3:10 to Yuma, same issue, got the US version and it was fine though.

Is it possible the film was mastered in a different colorspace? I figured everything was 16-235. I did try the gamma processing option, even setting it to 2.6 the blacks are not black. And of course that messes up all calibration.

Last edited by Xello; 6th September 2012 at 23:59.
Xello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2012, 22:46   #13813  |  Link
yok833

Hello Guys, I have a problem and I would like to know if I am the only one or if you can help me.. I'm using the last build of MADVR but sometimes during a movie in HD (play via MPC-HC) i have a nasty sound (BZZZZ like on the old TV before they explode..) and right after the screen becomes black or/and the image is divided in 2, but the sound continues normally behind... Then the only solution is to reboot and everything works perfectly a certain time before it happen again. I have a ATI 6850 + phenom X4 925.... Any ideas?????? My config is not good enough to handle MADVR????
yok833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2012, 04:01   #13814  |  Link
ryrynz

Your system's hardware is fine but you have a problem that i think a full reinstall would likely fix.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2012, 13:44   #13815  |  Link
TheMoustic

Hi everydoby!

I have followed the tutorial of Jeremy : http://www.homecinema-hd.com/intro_en.html.

I use : MPC-HC + LAV splitter + madVR + ffdshow + avisynth 2.6

I am encountering problems when I use madVR... I have a Sapphire 4890 connected by HDMI to my Xonar HDAV 1.3, which is connected to my receiver (Onkyo TX-NR709). When I try to play 1080p/i movies (BD or mkv) with HD audio (DDTHD or DTS-HD MA/HR) in bitstream or in LPCM, the sound is cutted and cracks. If I choose EVR custom pres. as video renderer, everything works fine.

I have noticed today that if I directly connect the graphic card to the receiver, I can decode DDTHD and DTS-HD and send it in LPCM wihtout any problem. I have then reconnected the graphic card to the sound card (the initial configuration) and now, LPCM and bitstream of HD audio works fine...

Note : sapphire 4890 doesn't support HD bitstream. I tried to uninstall the Audio HDMI driver of the ATI card but that doesn't help...
TheMoustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2012, 20:03   #13816  |  Link
Trib

Switched my tv from iGPU Intel HD 3000 to my 6950 for more demanding scaling algorithms and was wondering when checking with the testpatterns and when using Pixel Format from Amd CCC, Full or Limited Range RGB, the colors.ytp testpattern showed a vertical line moving horizontally using 0-255 levels and any paned bit depth.

That got fixed with using either YCbCr 4:4:4 or 4:2:2 Pixel Format from CCC with 0-255 levels and 8-bit bit depth. But was wondering if it was ok to use YCbCr rather than RGB as madshi said in front page "Ok, e.g. in ATI's control panel with some graphics cards and driver versions you can activate YCbCr output, *but* it's rather obvious that internally the data is converted to RGB first and then later back to YCbCr, which is a usually not a good idea if you care about max image quality."

So was wondering should I rather use Full Range RGB with the line or YCbCr 4:4:4 or 4:2:2 with no problems in colors.ytp for playback.

Last edited by Trib; 8th September 2012 at 19:43.
Trib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2012, 07:02   #13817  |  Link
THX-UltraII

I m using SVP frame interpolation. This is a heavy CPU usage real-time frame interpolation mode. In order to save more CPU i noticed that lowering the GPU and CPU queue saves quite some CPU power. Am I correct that I can lower them as much as possible without getting more dropped frames and pres. glitches?
EDIT: just put them on the minimum (both 4) and get not more dropped frames or pres. glitches then with the default settings (I think default was 12 and 8?)
THX-UltraII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2012, 09:26   #13818  |  Link
Nachbar

Queuing frames shouldn't produce more dropped frames. Queuing means it is processing frames in advance so you won't drop them. The extra usage is because of this. However it should only have the extra usage at the beginning of play and chill out once they are queued. If your computer is really good then I guess it doesn't matter what it is set to.

Queuing is useful for when a section of video suddenly uses a lot of data (say an action scene). If it can queue the problem frames in advance you won't get any of the frames dropped.

Last edited by Nachbar; 9th September 2012 at 09:29.
Nachbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2012, 10:12   #13819  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX-UltraII View Post
Am I correct that I can lower them as much as possible without getting more dropped frames and pres. glitches?
If your CPU or GPU experiences prolonged periods below real-time, lowering the queues as much as possible will be beneficial.
(Pushing the limits of a slower CPU/GPU)

If your CPU or GPU experiences extremely brief periods below real-time, raising the queues as much as possible will be beneficial.
(Lot of processing head-room with a faster CPU/GPU)

This is usually pretty clear-cut with madVR's CPU queue, but the GPU queue can require some experimentation, especially if you suffer from presentation glitches & dropped frames normally.
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2012, 20:33   #13820  |  Link
dansrfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
If your CPU or GPU experiences prolonged periods below real-time, lowering the queues as much as possible will be beneficial.
(Pushing the limits of a slower CPU/GPU)

If your CPU or GPU experiences extremely brief periods below real-time, raising the queues as much as possible will be beneficial.
(Lot of processing head-room with a faster CPU/GPU)

This is usually pretty clear-cut with madVR's CPU queue, but the GPU queue can require some experimentation, especially if you suffer from presentation glitches & dropped frames normally.
Process Explorer should be used to fine tune GPU queues. As a side note, I actually had to decrease my GPU queue down to the minimum of 4 and CPU at 8. This is for a Mobility Radeon HD 4570 with 512MB dedicated graphics memory and C2D @ 2.66Ghz and 4GB RAM.
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling