Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Old 26th July 2009, 08:41   #1  |  Link
riverplate86

Why mkv remux does change video stream bitrate?

I have remuxed a few mkv files so I coud add subtitles to my mkv films.
I know remux does not change any parameters of the stremas (audio and video) because there´s no recoding, only remuxing.
But if I look at me media info of the actal and the previous mkv file, I can see al slighty different bitrate on the stream video (a few kb/s diffrerent).
How can it be if the remux process does not touch the video neither the audi stream? (the audio stream remains exactly the same).
Thank you in advance.
riverplate86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2009, 08:53   #2  |  Link
deank
Programmer (or just 教务长)

Subtitles are muxed in-stream, so it is normal to have slight change in output bitrate, reflecting the newly added subtitle tracks.

Other than that, mediainfo may not report the actual (nominal/real) bitrate quite correct + it depends on the version of mkvmerge you used. Bitrate differences of 1-10kbps should not make you worry - it is obvious that with simple remux video is not changed.

Last edited by deank; 26th July 2009 at 08:59.
deank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2009, 21:00   #3  |  Link
riverplate86

Quote:
Originally Posted by deank View Post
Subtitles are muxed in-stream, so it is normal to have slight change in output bitrate, reflecting the newly added subtitle tracks.

Other than that, mediainfo may not report the actual (nominal/real) bitrate quite correct + it depends on the version of mkvmerge you used. Bitrate differences of 1-10kbps should not make you worry - it is obvious that with simple remux video is not changed.
Thank you very much, I tryed also using SUPER and the result is the same: the audio stream bitrate remains exactly the same but the video stream bitrate slighty changes.

I appreciate your help.
riverplate86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2009, 21:06   #4  |  Link
Keiyakusha
契約者

As I remember from mkvtoolnix thread, bitstream changing is a normal thing. Thats how it works. But bitstream, muxed to mkv should give the same result as not muxed one, when decoding is done.
Keiyakusha is offline   Reply With Quote