Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Old 19th January 2002, 02:05   #21  |  Link
Nahie

Quote:
Originally posted by robinsj
Okay, I think I am getting there... but I am having trouble keeping the audio and video in sync with each other...the audio is slower then the vidoe??? with my final output
Make sure your soundcard supports 48 khz. Some older soundcards don't, and some newer ones don't do it right. Also, there is a reason I use adobe premier to convert the audio...it is the only reliable way I have found to upsample and downsample 48khz. I think soundforge will speed up and slow down the audio to get to the desired sample rate.

And now, some more observations. I burned a much longer SDVD (is this what we should call it?) today, with a PAL copy of a longer video. This video was encoded at 480x576 48 khz audio. I can't seem to find audio specs for SVCD so I guess you can use either 44.1 or 48. Most SVCD's seem to be 44.1. Anyway, this video sample was much easier to put on a DVD-R. I didn't have to decode the audio or resample it or anything. And the big surprise is that I didn't have to add Pan and Scan info to it either. This was really strange, as the video didn't have any pan and scan info in it (I checked it with a hex editor). Odd. But it wouldn't import into DVD maestro (crashed half-way through, something about a sequence header being out of order) so I made the DVD with DVD wise. I don't know why NTSC material is being so difficult, but I'm going to try making a NTSC disc with DVD wise and seeing how it works.
Nahie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2002, 12:54   #22  |  Link
bedhead

hey guys, this sounds very interesting. if you are done with all your testing, could you post a guide on how to do this step by step? thanx.
bedhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2002, 07:24   #23  |  Link
SkoalWintergreen

hey would it be possible just to load the video file into ReMpeg and then transcode into DVD format? match source? shouldn't that work?
Old 20th January 2002, 17:02   #24  |  Link
Streetcleaner

hm idead

Is there a possibility to add another language track? What Programs would you use?

Greetz
Streetcleaner
Streetcleaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2002, 17:26   #25  |  Link
Nahie

Quote:
Originally posted by SkoalWintergreen
hey would it be possible just to load the video file into ReMpeg and then transcode into DVD format? match source? shouldn't that work?
The whole point of this is to avoid re-encoding the video (and in some cases, the audio).

Well I downloaded a very large movie (hint: see topic of this thread) this weekend and tried it out today. And I got it to work on my standalone player, without re-encoding the video at all. I had to resample the audio to 48khz and recompress it, but it still sounded great. Maybe I'll write a guide on this today, but basically all you have to do is follow the instructions I wrote before. NTSC material is more difficult than PAL, but it can be done, and it works in a Pioneer 343.

-Nahie
Old 20th January 2002, 20:01   #26  |  Link
Streetcleaner

yes

my Problem is that i wanted to try to dub it german from a vcd but the point is that the movie is shorter than the svcd release because one or two scenes were cut out.
Are there any Programs out there to pull audio tracks into MPG2 Files like i want?

Greetz
Streetcleaner
Streetcleaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2002, 00:57   #27  |  Link
FirstBorg

Hi. Im new to this board and have a question.
I have also a movie splitted in 4 svcd files, and want to merge them to one file. I tried it with Tmpg, the program has frozen. I treid it in dos with copy. That worked fine, but the generated file has only the time index of the first svcd file. It is 3 gigs big, but has only the time from the first file in it, if I play it with powerdvd. I want to burn it to a dvd too, and make chapters for it, as scvd. But i need the file with the correct time code. Can you help me?
thx in advance
FirstBorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2002, 01:23   #28  |  Link
FirstBorg

I just read that this copy command, destroys the header. Is there a program to repair the header?
Old 21st January 2002, 08:24   #29  |  Link
robinsj

Same Problem

Same problem here.. to combine all 4 files... maybe you can help nahie... I am doing this with the NTSC version.... and I got it to work great... here is what i did....

1. Demux with MPEG2VCR...
2. Convert mpa to wav with sound forge.
3. convert wav (44.1khz to 48khz) with premier.
4. softencode wav to ac3 (come to find out this step isn't nec.
5. dvdpatcher the mpv files to 720x480
6. open up the new mpv file in dvd maestro
7. save the project, and exit maestro
8. dvdpatcher the mpv files back to 480x480
9. I have no idea how to use dvd maestro, so I wante to try something, I opened up spruce up.. and then opened the mpv files, and they opened (wierd huh), if I tried before using dvdpatcher the first time.. they wouldn't open in spruce up... dvdpatch them and then try opening them in spruce up... still no go... oddly.. only way i could get them to open was by patching.. open in maestro.. save project...repatching... then open them in spruce up... worked like a charm.. hehe... audio and video in sync and all... but then, i started thinking... why don't i figure out how to combine all these files.. so i just have one file... well.. I used tmpgenc to merge the files... and it would never finish.. it would just get to 99% and hang.. although it merged it all, i would just hit abort... the file was still there i played it... seemed to play okay... then take that one file.. and go through the patching and such to get it to open in spruce up... it would open... but it would only register as the length of the very first file... what is going on?? Since this.. i have tried about 5 or 6 different mergeing utilites... all other programs i try finish without hanging... but still the same final result... any ideas....

My idea now is.... i am going to get all the 4 files into spruce up... create a img... rip the img to the harddrive.. so it has all the VOB's in it... and merge the vobs and see if that works... who knows... this sure is fun though isn't it!!!
robinsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2002, 08:51   #30  |  Link
FirstBorg

Thats the same problem I have. I read that if this problam appears the header of the new, big mpg file is damaged. So, we would just need a utility to repair that header.
Old 21st January 2002, 08:56   #31  |  Link
robinsj

True

But, what ruined the header in the first place?? they should all have headers considering they work seperatly... so where are the headers getting ruined??
Old 21st January 2002, 11:59   #32  |  Link
fiv5

Hi,

I'm also trying to convert SVCD to DVD, but I am quite prepared to transcode/re-encode the video. But I have little experience with avisynth, my current plan is demux the mpg (NTSC, 480x480 SVCD), run the mpg throught avisynth (mpeg2dec.dll, and use a resize filter to resize the video to 720x480) then encode back to DVD MPEG2 with CCE (v2.50 opening the .avs file).

Just basically wondering if anyone can telll me if this should work, currently when i load the avs files into CCE it says:

'Frame Size 952 x 56 is not supported, supported frame size is up to 720x576'

Obviosly im doing something wrong , any help greatly appreciated

Ta

fiv5
fiv5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2002, 14:41   #33  |  Link
FirstBorg

Re: True

Quote:
Originally posted by robinsj
But, what ruined the header in the first place?? they should all have headers considering they work seperatly... so where are the headers getting ruined??
Lets say a mpeg file looks like this : [header/frames]. after merging 4 files with the copy command, or several tools based on this command, the new file should look like this: [Header1/Frames1/Header2/Frames2.....] But every header after Header1 will be interpreted by windows as frames, so you have this [Header1/frames]. And this header1 has only the time of the first mpg file saved.

We need a programm that analyzes the hole mpg stream and rewrite the header.
Old 21st January 2002, 17:22   #34  |  Link
robinsj

Well... right now I am almost ready to make an image... in my previous post, I said that it wasn't neccessary to encode the wavs to AC3, I was wrong... you have to... because if you just leave them as wavs, they are to big and they won't fit on the dvdr.. so you need to encode them so that everything will fit on the dvdr... I am almost done doing that... once that is done, and the dvd program creates me some VOB's, I am hoping that I can merge those... Which would be nice, because then no re-encoding took place anywhere, and the quality never changed... Should be done in about an hour... I'll post the results...

Last edited by robinsj; 21st January 2002 at 19:01.
Old 21st January 2002, 17:54   #35  |  Link
FirstBorg

If your finished and it works, could you post a step by step tutorial on how you did it, and maybe links to the software.
Old 21st January 2002, 18:32   #36  |  Link
Nahie

As far as merging the SVCD MPEG files, I used DVD Maestro to do this. I couldn't get it to work any other way...tried all the usual tools to no avail (TMPEG, Mediaware Solutions M2 Edit, Vitec MPEG Pro, even DV-Tool - none worked correctly). I suppose I should have mentioned this before but I didn't know if it was just a specific problem I was having or if everyone would have this problem. DVD Maestro has a way to combine MPEG files and make a sync soundtrack for them. I'm not sure if all versions support this but I know 2.914c does. Just put all your patched movies in a single movie stream and right-click, select "export MPEG file" and it will merge the files into one. But before you do that, you should make an audio track. Put all your clips in the movie timeline and right-click in an audio track, select "create sync audio track" and it will open another window where you can specify which audio track goes to which movie. It will then join them and output a file (only works with .wav and .ac3 though, and it will convert your .wav files to .aif, which you will have to convert to .wav unless your .ac3 encoder supports .aif). I am working on a guide but it is taking a long time because I'm more familiar with DVD Authoring tools than desktop publishing tools.

-Nahie
Old 21st January 2002, 18:45   #37  |  Link
FirstBorg

where can I get DVD Maestro?
Old 21st January 2002, 18:50   #38  |  Link
shobe

Hey Nahie, so you are able to do a SVCD2DVD successfully with PAL or NTSC? Please write a guide for NTSC, thanks.
shobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2002, 18:57   #39  |  Link
shobe

Found this guide from VCDhelp.com

http://www.vcdhelp.com/vcddvdr.htm

Nahie, is this guide similar to your method? If not, what are the differneces?

shobe
shobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2002, 19:00   #40  |  Link
Nahie

That guide doesn't use DVD Maestro or Pixeltools MPEG repair, so it won't work for NTSC (with my experiments at least) but it should work fine for PAL. It also appears that he has altered the screen shot for DVDpatcher, because the 1.02a version doesn't allow you to patch just the first header (the radio button is broken).