Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 8th February 2010, 23:31   #1  |  Link
datman

What's the better archive iso or folder

Recently I discovered there are better players than PDVD out there. That will play from folders again.

Iso worked but to tell you the truth they are a pain in the arce sometimes. I got half a mind to go back to folders, any thoughts
datman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2010, 23:52   #2  |  Link
writersblock29

Since I've always found that using virtual drives causes headaches in a HTPC, I stick to folders using WMC (in Windows 7), My Movies plugin, and TotalMedia Theatre 3. TotalMedia Theatre is supposed to play folders from WMC's "movies" option--and it does, but some folders are glitchy (menu buttons not appearing, for example); for this reason I use the My Movies plugin to feed BD files to TMT3.

I've always hated using ISO images. Dancing in circles configuring a virtual drive... finding out that not all of the software you like using on your HTPC plays nicely with that particular virtual drive... getting nagged by your virtual drive's software every time there's an update... Having TMT3 get confused over what drive to read from when you're trying to watch a physical disk--since the last ISO you watched didn't unmount from the virtual drive... no friggin' thank you! After uninstalling my virtual drive and switching to folders, I can say with all certainty that I'd only go back to ISO if TMT3 pulls a PDVD and stops playing folder content.
Old 9th February 2010, 02:53   #3  |  Link
Capsbackup

TMT3 is ok, but it seems to not keep audio in sync, whether played from folders or mounted ISO.
PowerDVD 7.3 keeps audio in sync for me, and version 8 is ok too. I prefer it to TMT3, but it does lack playing back BD folders.
Virtual Clone Drive by Slysoft is the best virtual drive emulator I have ever used. Much better than Daemon, IMHO. I test my backups before burning to disc, and PowerDVD does fine for me.
I do not use my PC as a HTPC though, and play back is on my standalone.
Capsbackup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2010, 04:04   #4  |  Link
Midzuki
Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by datman View Post
Recently I discovered there are better players than PDVD out there. That will play from folders again.
If the player doesn't need to see a virtual drive,
then the folders have my vote.

Capsbackup wrote:

Quote:
Virtual Clone Drive by Slysoft is the best virtual drive emulator I have ever used. Much better than Daemon, IMHO.
I uninstalled V.C.D. a couple of hours ago,
because it doesn't support .cue ++ .WAV files
Midzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2010, 05:54   #5  |  Link
datman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsbackup View Post
TMT3 is ok, but it seems to not keep audio in sync, whether played from folders or mounted ISO.
PowerDVD 7.3 keeps audio in sync for me, and version 8 is ok too. I prefer it to TMT3, but it does lack playing back BD folders.
I started using zoomplayer converting the MKV and Flac audio in some ways it's better. The sound is definitely better. Admittedly I can only tell for sure with movies with a great music score like “Across the Universe” and then it’s undeniably cleaner, more detailed. I would say the picture is a little better too. That may make since because my play back computer only had an Athlon 5000+ (2.6 x2) that played Pdvd 7&8 fine but would not play ZP I dropped a Phenom 550 (3.1 x2)in now the video is playing great but I have a audio sync problem on a few movies that pdvd never had. I’m not sure if it’s the conversion from AnotherEAC3to. It was just today I found out ZP plays from folders. I’m interested to compare have folders look and sound next to MKV / Flac
Quote:
I do not use my PC as a HTPC though, and play back is on my standalone.
I kind of want to go this route. If there was a player that has analog outs and a USB input for networking off a drive. Or it’s a lot of burning and I really like HDD backups, except when I click that delete button

Last edited by datman; 9th February 2010 at 05:57.
Old 9th February 2010, 09:01   #6  |  Link
GaPony

I've just about stopped using standalone players and computers (HTPC or otherwise) for playing my movies. I've found that its just so much easier to use a $100 digital media player to play movies from the network... or an attached USB/eSATA HDD. No getting up to load a disc, no worrying about a disc getting damaged by the grandkids, no more trying to find a disc, no more lots of other pains that you all are way too familiar with. I really like the fact that I can use BD-Rebuilder to make a Blu-Ray copy in may different ways, then just convert the copy to an ISO and play it, no muss, no fuss. Take a look sometime at the WDTV Live or Asus O!Play media players... They are a great option and I think probably the future of how we watch movies.

just a thought...
GaPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2010, 14:09   #7  |  Link
Capsbackup

Quote:
I kind of want to go this route. If there was a player that has analog outs and a USB input for networking off a drive. Or it’s a lot of burning and I really like HDD backups, except when I click that delete button
I like hard disc backups too, and backup my discs too, but since I purchased my Pioneer HDMI receiver, I am very pleased with the sound from my Sony S360, and BD media has become reasonably priced.
Besides, there is no delete key on my Sony S360.
Old 9th February 2010, 16:26   #8  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
I like hard disc backups too, and backup my discs too, but since I purchased my Pioneer HDMI receiver, I am very pleased with the sound from my Sony S360, and BD media has become reasonably priced.
Besides, there is no delete key on my Sony S360.
Ain't that the truth. I've discovered that the only way to prevent myself from doing something stupid is to remove stupid from my options.
Old 9th February 2010, 16:27   #9  |  Link
datman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaPony View Post
I've just about stopped using standalone players and computers (HTPC or otherwise) for playing my movies. I've found that its just so much easier to use a $100 digital media player to play movies from the network... or an attached USB/eSATA HDD. No getting up to load a disc, no worrying about a disc getting damaged by the grandkids, no more trying to find a disc, no more lots of other pains that you all are way too familiar with. I really like the fact that I can use BD-Rebuilder to make a Blu-Ray copy in may different ways, then just convert the copy to an ISO and play it, no muss, no fuss. Take a look sometime at the WDTV Live or Asus O!Play media players... They are a great option and I think probably the future of how we watch movies.

just a thought...
that looks like a great idea but would only be good for BD-5 & 9 backups because I'm still stuck with the analogs.

in the long run it will more than pay for it self because of the power you save compared to running a PC
Old 9th February 2010, 16:51   #10  |  Link
datman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
Ain't that the truth. I've discovered that the only way to prevent myself from doing something stupid is to remove stupid from my options.
Stupid is as stupid does

If I make the size of the recycle bin the same size as the drive for each drive? Then if stupid ever gets stupid again it should all go to the recycle bin.

I have always left them to default and I'm thinking the hand full that went there filled it and the rest got sh*t canned. Is there a downside to this?
Old 10th February 2010, 03:41   #11  |  Link
GaPony

Quote:
that looks like a great idea but would only be good for BD-5 & 9 backups because I'm still stuck with the analogs.

in the long run it will more than pay for it self because of the power you save compared to running a PC
Why would it only be good for analog?

Its definitely a saver on electricity. I can run a 20TB server AND the media player on less power than my PS3 uses. Its sad, but true...

My BDP-S550 would be perfect but I can't get anybody to go over and change discs any more. That manual labor is just too exhausting.
Old 10th February 2010, 03:57   #12  |  Link
Capsbackup

Quote:
My BDP-S550 would be perfect but I can't get anybody to go over and change discs any more. That manual labor is just too exhausting.
Oh, but you were able to find someone to feed you popcorn? I'm behind here, can you share your secrets?
Old 10th February 2010, 04:51   #13  |  Link
datman

Quote:
Why would it only be good for analog?

I don't have HDMI inputs on my processor. So I could play all my BD 5 & 9 backups on the media player using a optical audio input. Either the computer or a standalone player using my 5.1 analog input for HDaudio.

How's the picture quality?
Old 10th February 2010, 11:50   #14  |  Link
GaPony

The picture quality is excellant. As good as I've ever gotten from the same movie, from a disc (in an apples to apples comparison). I just really like being able to scroll through all my movies onscreen to find the one I want, as opposed to searching through all the shelves... keep in mind that I have collected just under 6,000 movies, since 1996. Once I get everything saved to HDD, I'm boxing all the discs up and putting them in storage and will regain the use of an entire room (plus a little) in the process.
Old 10th February 2010, 14:11   #15  |  Link
datman

Quote:
, I'm boxing all the discs up and putting them in storage and will regain the use of an entire room (plus a little) in the process.
nice!
Old 10th February 2010, 14:58   #16  |  Link
datman

Do you think that a media player that also play BDdvds is ever possible?

To use a media player do your movies need to be in a folder or ISO?

Last edited by datman; 10th February 2010 at 15:00. Reason: after thought
Old 11th February 2010, 03:35   #17  |  Link
GaPony

If it played BD DVDs...it would be called a Blu-Ray player.

Both the WDTV Live and Asus O!Play play full Blu-Ray .ISOs very well. It also plays BD-Rebuilder copies in every type of copy that I have tried.

Last edited by GaPony; 11th February 2010 at 03:37.
Old 6th April 2010, 23:22   #18  |  Link
archaeo
Banned

Quote:
The picture quality is excellant. As good as I've ever gotten from the same movie, from a disc (in an apples to apples comparison). I just really like being able to scroll through all my movies onscreen to find the one I want, as opposed to searching through all the shelves... keep in mind that I have collected just under 6,000 movies, since 1996. Once I get everything saved to HDD, I'm boxing all the discs up and putting them in storage and will regain the use of an entire room (plus a little) in the process.
@GaPony
Are you streaming your hi def files wirelessly to your WDTV live media player?
archaeo is offline   Reply With Quote