Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 14th July 2009, 05:16   #1421  |  Link
Mark_A_W
3 eyed CRT supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_A_W View Post
Madshi, if you are out there...

I reinstalled Vista on my PC over the weekend.

And the occasional glitch in playback I was getting is gone (it wasn't a madVR thing, it happened in all players, all setups).

I've now watched two complete movies, without the slightest jump/jerk/stutter/nothing. Perfectly smooth, for hours on end.

My setup is Reclock and madVR in Zoomplayer, with Ffdshow for the video decoder (well, running wmv9 inside ffdshow for VC-1), and madFLAC feeding Ffdshow Audio. Display is a secondary monitor running 1920*1080 interlaced at 96hz (48hz interlaced to Powerstrip).

I do have stability issues when resizing the window, or sometimes on starting play, or restarting play. But as far as I am concerned the smooth playback features work fine.

However, it took a while to come good. After installation, and after Reclock settled down, I was still getting jerky playback. After a while, and a few restarts of Zoom Player it came good....really good. Spookily smooth.

I tried Win7, but had tearing and jerkiness with a similar setup (identical except I was running 1080p 48hz as I couldn't get interlacing to work on Win7).

So thank you for you efforts so far, this is the smoothest playback I have ever seen from a PC. And it does seem to me that Vista32 is still the path of least resistance for a HTPC.

Mark

Edit: I should add that I trimmed Vista down after installation. Turned off lots of services, the UAC, indexing, error reporting...lotsa crap.

Some more feedback.

I've now watched numerous movies with madVR 0.10 and Reclock (active) and playback at 96hz is basically perfect.

I've compared to MPC-HC EVR custom (Beliyaal) with and without Reclock active, and with MPC + Gothplayer mods (reclock slaved).

I get the best smoothness with madVR + Reclock active.

I also watched a movie with madVR and Reclock slaved, and it was very, very good, but I did see one or two little jumps.

And somehow, with Reclock active it just "feel" smoother (where do we get these placebos?).

I can't hear a difference with Reclock active or slaved - and I have a pretty reasonable audio system (DIY fully active Focal driver system).

Reclock and madVR seem like a match made in heaven to me. I'd prefer if we can get non-resampled audio, but like I said, I can't hear it.
Mark_A_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2009, 08:32   #1422  |  Link
kostik

madvr 0.10+reclock and d3doverride enabled with mpc hc works perfectly smooth also.
kostik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2009, 16:09   #1423  |  Link
3ngel

I would like to signal that MadVR doesn't work with INTEL GMA950 (Asus EEEPC 1000H) graphic chipset + MPC.

Hope this will be fixed, i would gladly reduce the cpu consuming a bit by using the GPU

Thanks
3ngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2009, 16:32   #1424  |  Link
flanger216

Wouldn't count on it... the GMA950 is about as low-end as desktop graphics gets.
flanger216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2009, 19:11   #1425  |  Link
3ngel

But as far as i can see from Everest report, it does support almost every DirectX function.
Old 19th July 2009, 03:28   #1426  |  Link
thuan

Indeed, but slowly. As far as my card which is a 9500GT goes, it's also good enough to run this filter in every situation. So don't expect your card has a chance, at least not any time soon.

EDIT: Part of why it's slow is because it doesn't have vertex shader IIRC, that is "offload" to the CPU which is not optimized for the task.
thuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2009, 06:14   #1427  |  Link
3ngel

Mmm i see, but aren't the "Pixel" shaders used to offload the task in situation like a video renderer?

In this case the supported version on the (embedded) GMA950 is the 2.0.

At this point it's for personal culture too i would like to better know

I think that on situations like netbooks where every percentage of CPU it's important, offload is an even more useful feature.
Old 19th July 2009, 07:44   #1428  |  Link
Hypernova

I would say don't get your hope too high. My card was ATi HD2600 Pro and it can barely manage to give me a "smooth" playback with any resizer beyond bilinear. You are right that the chip support the functions, but it's too slow for madVR. And for what I see, madshi seems to be interested in bringing the fastest card to its knee with some more benefits than make the old one works with compromise.
Old 19th July 2009, 08:41   #1429  |  Link
St Devious
Hardware Aspirin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
I would say don't get your hope too high. My card was ATi HD2600 Pro and it can barely manage to give me a "smooth" playback with any resizer beyond bilinear. You are right that the chip support the functions, but it's too slow for madVR. And for what I see, madshi seems to be interested in bringing the fastest card to its knee with some more benefits than make the old one works with compromise.
wait, how does this renderer use so much of GPU ? and how does this benefit ouput ?

Last edited by St Devious; 19th July 2009 at 08:43.
St Devious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2009, 09:00   #1430  |  Link
nurbs

Look at the first post.
nurbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2009, 14:51   #1431  |  Link
DigitalLF

nurbs: what are you talking about? theres no update?

"Last edited by madshi; 16th May 2009 at 23:51."
DigitalLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2009, 14:55   #1432  |  Link
tetsuox

@St. Devious, look at the output comparisons on the first page.
Old 19th July 2009, 14:58   #1433  |  Link
DigitalLF

hahaha my bad.. :P i didn't get that nurbs answered "St. Devious"
DigitalLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2009, 15:53   #1434  |  Link
St Devious
Hardware Aspirin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsuox View Post
@St. Devious, look at the output comparisons on the first page.
those are just patterns. anybody did a image comparison with real videos ?
St Devious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2009, 19:46   #1435  |  Link
Hypernova

Quote:
Originally Posted by St Devious View Post
those are just patterns. anybody did a image comparison with real videos ?
I did with anime banding. Others also did movies. You have to go look back in this thread.
Old 19th July 2009, 21:17   #1436  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

does anyone know why most x264 encodes of movies flying around the web do not work with madVR, while basically all BD sources do (apart from some interlaced 30fps vc-1 stuff or something like that)? has it something to do with non norm compliant number of ref frames & encoding specs or anything like that?
Thunderbolt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2009, 12:01   #1437  |  Link
ryrynz

That would be due to your decoder. Cuda is limited in the amount of reference frames it can process, so if your using Coreavc that's your problem right there.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2009, 12:34   #1438  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
That would be due to your decoder. Cuda is limited in the amount of reference frames it can process, so if your using Coreavc that's your problem right there.
That's not true. CoreAVC has no such limitation. It works just fine here with here with 1080p content and 16 ref frames. It just doesn't use CUDA (falls back to software mode) for that clip.

Anyway, if MadVR doesn't work with certain x264-encoded clips, that may be because the decoder doesn't deliver YV12 data -or- because the resolution of the video isn't mod16.

(BD sources are required to be mod16 by definition, but it's certainly not guaranteed for arbitrary clips "flying around the web")

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 21st July 2009 at 12:38.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2009, 12:43   #1439  |  Link
Nil Einne

Quote:
Originally Posted by actarusfleed View Post
I've an ATI HD4850 so ... Do I've to buy a q6600 to have a perfect fluidity with H264 and ffdshow?

Or, in the next future, the ATI card will give us a similar solution like nvidia's cuda?
It's my understanding from what the CoreCodec people (who make CoreAVC) having been saying is that OpenCL will support this sort of thing and it should support it on ATI. This should be coming in CoreAVC 2.0 (which will be coming after CorePlayer 2.0). However ATI don't yet have OpenCL drivers (for Windows at least) even though they've promised to release them so it may be a while yet.

One thing I'm still not sure of is whether there are any plans to support the hardware deinterlacing features (pixel adaptive/vector adaptive) via OpenCL. Is CoreAVC currently capable of this with CUDA?

Last edited by Nil Einne; 21st July 2009 at 13:14.
Nil Einne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2009, 08:14   #1440  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRd_MuldeR View Post
That's not true. CoreAVC has no such limitation. It works just fine here with here with 1080p content and 16 ref frames. It just doesn't use CUDA (falls back to software mode) for that clip.

Anyway, if MadVR doesn't work with certain x264-encoded clips, that may be because the decoder doesn't deliver YV12 data -or- because the resolution of the video isn't mod16.

(BD sources are required to be mod16 by definition, but it's certainly not guaranteed for arbitrary clips "flying around the web")
I didn't state that Coreavc has a limitation, just that Cuda does.
Obviously that isn't the issue and was just a guess, as I know the format of the video should play no part in whether an image is displayed by the renderer.
Regardless of the assumption, my first statement is correct.

Last edited by ryrynz; 22nd July 2009 at 08:31.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling