Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors

Old 23rd March 2009, 04:08   #21  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by david42 View Post
I just tried Trace Mode->Breakpoints and selected Breakpoints (for Menus, Titles, & Log Output) then ran the session doing what I normally do. It highlighted each PGC after execution HOWEVER the 1st time I found a preview that I checked 'blank' on it unhighlighted everything that had been executed and proceeded to highlight the new executions when I went back to Run. When I was done lots of executions that I'd gone over were not highlighted. That wasn't quite what I'm hoping for.
Have you tried the State --> Mark played PGCs as Played function? It just runs through the DVD marking which PGCs are entered. That might be more to your liking cos that way, you don't have to set or unset breakpoints. Then, you can go to Next PB all the time, preview the cell and decide whether to blank or not etc etc. When the PGCs are marked as "played", they are actually marked as a comment - this means they are non-destructive. When you are finished, you can delete the comments and labels, if you wish.

As for your RFE, I guess what is being said is the functionality exists in break on menus/titles (and log output if that's what you want - it would be rare to use it in conjunction with both of the others, but on it's own it could be useful - eg seeing which SetSTN's are actually executed).

Regards

Only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media.
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2009, 11:25   #22  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

To break at every PGC, you don't need to use Break at all Menus and Titles AND at Log Output, but only at Menus and Titles OR Log Output. I've explained two ways to accomplish the same thing: break every time a PGC is entered. ([->> Next PB] is a third method, but it is different, as it breaks only when the video content of a PGC is played, and therefore will never break on dummy PGCs or on non-dummy PGCs on which you have applied Kill PGC Playback.)

Anyway, since with your method, you use the breakpoint to highlight the PGCs that have not been entered yet, using those methods are not suitable for you, as nothing is highlighted, and the breaks are permanent (until you turn them off.) Forget the break idea, as imo you use a feature that is not intended for this usage.

I've also explained how to mark all visited PGCs. With your method, you have to break at all PGCs, then remove the breakpoint manually. That's slow and you have to turn off many breakpoints. My method is much more simple and fast: just turn on the "Mark Played PGCs as Played" option, and run the trace. You don't need to break at all (except perhaps on PGCs containing RND operators, to examine them carefully.) When you have finished to navigate in the whole DVD, the PGCs that have never been reached will NOT have the 'played' comment, and you can locate them easily.

And BTW, the yellow highlights are not permanent, that's right, but the 'played' comments are really permanent, and, unlike the breakpoints, they persist from session to session (until you delete the PgcEdit_backup folder or clear them with the appropriate option of the State menu.) According to your new explanations, the only thing you need is to turn on the "Mark Played PGCs as Played" option, and run the trace. One single click, and the trace will be much faster! Try it!

One more thing: I highly recommend to run Info -> Find Jumps to Nowhere after you have removed the uncalled PGCs, as if, per chance, you forgot to trace to a specific PGC, it might have been removed even through it is useful.

[EDIT: I haven't noticed blu's post on the top of this page. He explain exactly the same thing.]

Last edited by r0lZ; 23rd March 2009 at 11:38.
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2009, 13:45   #23  |  Link
roux

I'm using the linux version of 9.2
When i start PgcEdit it creates an bin directory in home containing PgcEditPreview.exe. Is there a way to configure were to put this dir?
roux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2009, 19:55   #24  |  Link
david42
Former Technical Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutach View Post
Have you tried the State --> Mark played PGCs as Played function? It just runs through the DVD marking which PGCs are entered. That might be more to your liking cos that way, you don't have to set or unset breakpoints. Then, you can go to Next PB all the time, preview the cell and decide whether to blank or not etc etc. When the PGCs are marked as "played", they are actually marked as a comment - this means they are non-destructive. When you are finished, you can delete the comments and labels, if you wish.
I tried "mark played PGCs as played". This works well to help me identify what doesn't get played (as stated by you). Thanks for understanding that some of us haven't explored the copious amount of options in the tool!

THANX
david42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2009, 20:05   #25  |  Link
david42
Former Technical Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
My method is much more simple and fast: just turn on the "Mark Played PGCs as Played" option, and run the trace. You don't need to break at all (except perhaps on PGCs containing RND operators, to examine them carefully.) When you have finished to navigate in the whole DVD, the PGCs that have never been reached will NOT have the 'played' comment, and you can locate them easily.

One more thing: I highly recommend to run Info -> Find Jumps to Nowhere after you have removed the uncalled PGCs, as if, per chance, you forgot to trace to a specific PGC, it might have been removed even through it is useful.
Could you elaborate on RND operators please? My take on this is you are warning me that some PGCs may have IFs that could cause jumps to unplayed PGCs or cells directives to use previous/next PGC links that were not executed when I traced using mark played pgcs. Normally my instincts are to evaluate all possible PGCs that show as jumping to the unplayed PGCs and edit out jumps to unplayed PGCs (carefully). Is that what you warn about when referring to RND operators?

THANX
Old 12th April 2009, 23:42   #26  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

First search for RND in your DVD. 99.9% of DVDs don't have them.

If you find one that does, then a single trace can only emulate one of the possible outcomes of a RND. e.g. the following statement has 2 possible outcomes (1 and 2).
Quote:
[78 00 00 00 00 02 00 00] 1 Set gprm(0) ?=(rnd) 2
These will usually be tested in the next statement or somewhere not too far down the line. You obviously can't eliminate entirely any PGCs referred to by a test of a gprm after a RND. You can only eliminate out-of-range values.

So, if you see this in the next 2 statements, then each of PGCs 1 and 2 are visited (you can do a number of traces until all the values of the RND are used, if you like):
Quote:
[20 A4 00 00 00 01 00 01] 2 if ( gprm(0) == 1 ) then { LinkPGCN PGC 1 }
[20 A4 00 00 00 02 00 02] 3 if ( gprm(0) == 2 ) then { LinkPGCN PGC 2 }
But the next 3 statements will always be false and therefore unless PGCs 3-5 are called by other PGCs, they can be eliminated (easiest to just delete statements 4-6 and then do Delete Uncalled PGCs)
Quote:
[20 A4 00 00 00 03 00 03] 4 if ( gprm(0) == 3 ) then { LinkPGCN PGC 3 }
[20 A4 00 00 00 04 00 04] 5 if ( gprm(0) == 4 ) then { LinkPGCN PGC 4 }
[20 A4 00 00 00 05 00 05] 6 if ( gprm(0) == 5 ) then { LinkPGCN PGC 5 }
I hope you understand this now.

Regards

Last edited by blutach; 13th April 2009 at 04:02.
Old 13th April 2009, 14:10   #27  |  Link
roux

Is there a way to turn of searching for BOV on startup like the older versions of PgcEdit?
roux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 15:24   #28  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

Not sure, but why would you do that? If definitely KNOW there's no BOVs, then click "Assume No BOVs". Otherwise, let the scan do its thing (use a scan every 30 VOBUs with deep scan ticked - this is quite fast) and that way PgcEdit can get a complete picture of your DVD. Otherwise, things like Delete Uncalled PGCs can be very unsafe.

Regards

Last edited by blutach; 13th April 2009 at 15:27.
Old 15th April 2009, 10:25   #29  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by roux View Post
I'm using the linux version of 9.2
When i start PgcEdit it creates an bin directory in home containing PgcEditPreview.exe. Is there a way to configure were to put this dir?
Sorry for the late reply. After a system crash, I had to buy a new PC, which came pre-installed with Vista! Aaargh! And it was very difficult to install XP, because the XP CD has no support for the SATA drives! Finally, I have a running system, and I'm back!

Sorry, the bin (and lib and plugins) directories cannot be relocated, but you can probably copy them elsewhere, and replace the original directories by links to the new locations. I haven't tested, and I have no Linux installed yet, but that should work.
Old 15th April 2009, 10:35   #30  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
So, if you see this in the next 2 statements, then each of PGCs 1 and 2 are visited (you can do a number of traces until all the values of the RND are used, if you like):
There is also a way to force a specific value in a GPRM during the trace. So, say the first time you ran the trace the RND value was 1, and you still want to test the value 2. After having executed the command containing the RND, if, per chance, the GPRM value is again 1, you can force it to 2. Be sure to open the Watch window (the GPRMs and the Input sections are needed.) Then, select the GPRM you want to change by clicking its label. The value of the GPRM should be displayed in the input window. Change the decimal field to 0, and press Enter. (Pressing Enter is necessary to record the change.) A note telling that a GPRM value has been forced by the user is inserted in the log. Now, you can continue to trace.
Old 15th April 2009, 10:39   #31  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
(use a scan every 30 VOBUs with deep scan ticked - this is quite fast)
BTW, this is now the default for fresh installations of PgcEdit.
Old 15th April 2009, 19:45   #32  |  Link
david42
Former Technical Janitor

Quote:

If you find one that does, then a single trace can only emulate one of the possible outcomes of a RND. e.g. the following statement has 2 possible outcomes (1 and 2).

These will usually be tested in the next statement or somewhere not too far down the line. You obviously can't eliminate entirely any PGCs referred to by a test of a gprm after a RND. You can only eliminate out-of-range values.

But the next 3 statements will always be false and therefore unless PGCs 3-5 are called by other PGCs, they can be eliminated (easiest to just delete statements 4-6 and then do Delete Uncalled PGCs)

I hope you understand this now.

Regards
I found this in an unofficial DVD Spec on the web concerning how RND works. Is this description wrong OR if the seed in your example is 2 how would one know what range the GPRM would end up containing?

Compute a new random value using the contents of a GPRM or a constant value (immediate 16-bit number) as the seed value. The seed value cannot be 0.
SPRM is not allowed as operands in this command.

Example:
1) Rnd GPRM0,GPRM1
(Store a new random value in GPRM0 using the contents of GPRM1 as the seed value. The previous value of GPRM0 is lost after the command executes.)

2) Rnd GPRM0,2
(Store a new random value in GPRM0 using 2 as the seed value)
Old 15th April 2009, 21:28   #33  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Where have you found that info? The description is wrong. The value is not the seed, but the upper limit. There is no way to change the seed value. In their second example, a value of 1 or 2 is set in GPRM 0. In the first example, a value between 1 and the content of GPRM 1 is set in GPRM 0.
Old 16th April 2009, 19:09   #34  |  Link
david42
Former Technical Janitor

Quote:
Where have you found that info? The description is wrong. The value is not the seed, but the upper limit. There is no way to change the seed value. In their second example, a value of 1 or 2 is set in GPRM 0. In the first example, a value between 1 and the content of GPRM 1 is set in GPRM 0.
I found it at http://www.dvd-replica.com/DVD/setgprmops.php . Apparently it's difficult to find a free copy of the DVD spec on a site that wants to sell it. Thanks for the hint that they have faulty info.

Can you point me at a real pdf that explains all the PGC commands and how they really work please? I'd also like a pdf copy of the whole DVD spec if free. I see no point in paying for standards that should be free.
Old 16th April 2009, 19:15   #35  |  Link
david42
Former Technical Janitor

Quote:
How do I search for RND, please? I found how to do it on a single PGC but the right commands window already gives me that info. I suspect there's a way to find any/all RND's in the whole DVD in one search and would appreciate directions on how to invoke it.
Old 16th April 2009, 20:53   #36  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Usually, DVD Replica is not too bad, but I do not visit it often.
Mpucoder's DVD Information site is the best one, but not completely free, and somewhat technical.
There are also good books (notably Jim Taylor's DVD Demystified and a book by Ralph LaBarge), probably available in pdf format. Search Google.

You can search for strings in all commands of the DVD (including in button commands) by typing the string to search in the search field in the bottom right corner of the main PgcEdit window, and clicking the "All" button.

Last edited by r0lZ; 16th April 2009 at 21:00.
Old 17th April 2009, 18:33   #37  |  Link
mpucoder

Quote:
Mpucoder's DVD Information site is the best one, but not completely free, and somewhat technical.
As of April 1 the site's information is free. I also recommend reading JimTaylor's book, and using my site to fill in the blanks that Kermit (inside joke) could not publish without breaking the NDA he signed. Ralph LaBarge's book covers more aspects of the workflow to make a DVD, but less detail of the nuts and bolts.
mpucoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2009, 18:38   #38  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

I didn't know that. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with everybody!
Old 17th April 2009, 21:57   #39  |  Link
vwpassion

Quote:
Not sure, but why would you do that? If definitely KNOW there's no BOVs, then click "Assume No BOVs". Otherwise, let the scan do its thing (use a scan every 30 VOBUs with deep scan ticked - this is quite fast) and that way PgcEdit can get a complete picture of your DVD. Otherwise, things like Delete Uncalled PGCs can be very unsafe.

Regards
Please beware that in some cases, using "Scan only one VOBU every 30 VOBUs" plus deep-scan will not detect Disney Fast Play "Menus/Buttons". This may lead to undesirable results when further editing the DVD.

Addendum: Setting "Scan only one VOBU every 29 VOBUs" does the trick and will find the Fast Play buttons.

Last edited by vwpassion; 17th April 2009 at 22:04.
vwpassion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2009, 22:07   #40  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Hum, I use those settings since ages, and I have never missed any BOV. Can you be more precise? Which Disney DVD and which region?