Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Closed Thread

Old 25th January 2010, 19:19   #11501  |  Link
pirlouy
_

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack04 View Post
So would it make sense that leaving Aero enabled removed the tearing?
Yeah, Aero removes Tearing, but it causes serious lags (judder) especially in dual screen and refresh rate < 60 Hz.
Old 25th January 2010, 19:40   #11502  |  Link
X-Dron

XP-SP3 GeForce8300 Integrated
MPC-HC 1559

DXVA Checker, DXVA Mpeg2 exists.

Render, DXVA is connected.

And video is so

Old 25th January 2010, 19:46   #11503  |  Link
somy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirlouy View Post
Yeah, Aero removes Tearing, but it causes serious lags (judder) especially in dual screen and refresh rate < 60 Hz.
Hi, I have serious judder when I use dual screen and set refresh rate of one screen to be 23.976 hz(to match 24P), and only sync renderer removes judder (not completely). Could that be because of Aero? I thought in the beginning it was the problem of MadVR and or the new release of MPC-HC......
Could you please provide some more details on this issue? Thank you very much!!
Old 25th January 2010, 21:10   #11504  |  Link
iSeries

Hi,

Previously, using MadVR with my TV refresh rate set to 23.976hz on a ATI 4550 (with Windows 7) I was getting stuttery playback with Aero enabled, and tearing about a fifth of the way up from the bottom of the screen with Aero disabled.

I've just tried the latest MPC build, and using MadVR (with default settings) with Aero enabled I get smooth playback. The first few seconds are stuttery and it drops a few frames, but settles down and the rest of the playback is super smooth with no more dropped frames (with Aero disabled I still get the tearing).

Would someone be able to explain to a simpleton like me what exactly Aero does to remove the tearing? And whether something has changed with the latest MPC build to improve smoothness with Aero enabled?
Old 25th January 2010, 21:39   #11505  |  Link
FDisk80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr3d View Post
From release 1503 this is what happen with every .avi file i try to play (with hd file image is not broken but DXVA does not work). Same result if i try to change renderer (from Sync to EVR).
The only way to solve this problem is to switch to WMR9 or downgrade to version 1489.
Windows 7, 4850, Catalyst 9.12

Any idea?

Same here.
How is this not the #1 thing to fix?
Old 25th January 2010, 21:42   #11506  |  Link
pirlouy
_

@X-Dron: I think your problem is glasses: you have forgotten to put your 3D glasses, that's all !

@somy: I can't really say more things. I have similitudes with iSeries:
- tearing if I disable Aero (dual or mono screen, all EVR and madVR); more tearing for 24Hz, just a bottom line in 50Hz
- In 24Hz in dual screen, with Aero enable, windows Seven is... lost; cursor is really slow, and even if EVR graph could let me think it's judder free (perfect parallel lines), there are major jerks. Just try to move your mouse, if cursor is not smooth for 24Hz screen, then you'll know you can't use Aero (just right click on mpc-hc.exe and disable desktop composition in properties)
- in dual screen, 50 Hz, Aero enable, no more slowness when moving mouse, but you still have judder (not shown by EVR graph, except if you put a 30fps video, you'll see graph freezes)
- in dual screen, 50 Hz, madVr + Aero... Same behavior. Judder caused by Aero :/

- in mono screen, it seems to be ok with Aero, even in 24Hz.

In conclusion, if you use dual screen, IMO, you have to disable desktop composition (Aero) when launching MPC-HC. You'll have tearing, but we can guess it will be fix by future version of Madshi or ar-jar renderer (when they implement Direct3D)

@iSeries: I think nobody really knows exactly what Aero does, but it's sure at 100% it prevents tearing.
Old 25th January 2010, 21:48   #11507  |  Link
BDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by namaiki View Post
I think it also occurs with splash player [I only tested on W7 64-bit, (MPC-HC 32-bit in regards to my previous post)] (when you have video hardware acceleration/dxva enabled in either program).
This is now fixed in the latest version of Splash.
Old 25th January 2010, 21:56   #11508  |  Link
iSeries

@pirlouy - our experiences are not completely similar. With EVR CP or Sync Renderer and 'disable desktop composition' (i.e Aero disabled) I get perfectly smooth playback at 23.976hz with no tearing. I'm just confused as to why, with the latest MPC build, MadVR works fine with Aero enabled whereas before I was getting terrible playback.
Old 26th January 2010, 08:19   #11509  |  Link
somy

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSeries View Post
Hi,

Previously, using MadVR with my TV refresh rate set to 23.976hz on a ATI 4550 (with Windows 7) I was getting stuttery playback with Aero enabled, and tearing about a fifth of the way up from the bottom of the screen with Aero disabled.

I've just tried the latest MPC build, and using MadVR (with default settings) with Aero enabled I get smooth playback. The first few seconds are stuttery and it drops a few frames, but settles down and the rest of the playback is super smooth with no more dropped frames (with Aero disabled I still get the tearing).

Would someone be able to explain to a simpleton like me what exactly Aero does to remove the tearing? And whether something has changed with the latest MPC build to improve smoothness with Aero enabled?
My test is opposite, I have almost the same setup as yours. I use Windows 7 and ATI 4850, and recently I upgraded ATI ccc to 9.12 (thank godness, they finally fix black level issue) and MPC-HC to the newest one, but it became super stuttery, not even watchable. I have Aero enabled.
Old 26th January 2010, 08:23   #11510  |  Link
somy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirlouy View Post
@X-Dron: I think your problem is glasses: you have forgotten to put your 3D glasses, that's all !

@somy: I can't really say more things. I have similitudes with iSeries:
- tearing if I disable Aero (dual or mono screen, all EVR and madVR); more tearing for 24Hz, just a bottom line in 50Hz
- In 24Hz in dual screen, with Aero enable, windows Seven is... lost; cursor is really slow, and even if EVR graph could let me think it's judder free (perfect parallel lines), there are major jerks. Just try to move your mouse, if cursor is not smooth for 24Hz screen, then you'll know you can't use Aero (just right click on mpc-hc.exe and disable desktop composition in properties)
- in dual screen, 50 Hz, Aero enable, no more slowness when moving mouse, but you still have judder (not shown by EVR graph, except if you put a 30fps video, you'll see graph freezes)
- in dual screen, 50 Hz, madVr + Aero... Same behavior. Judder caused by Aero :/

- in mono screen, it seems to be ok with Aero, even in 24Hz.

In conclusion, if you use dual screen, IMO, you have to disable desktop composition (Aero) when launching MPC-HC. You'll have tearing, but we can guess it will be fix by future version of Madshi or ar-jar renderer (when they implement Direct3D)

@iSeries: I think nobody really knows exactly what Aero does, but it's sure at 100% it prevents tearing.
I think I can't live with tearing either, so I guess I'll just to try single screen.
Old 26th January 2010, 08:27   #11511  |  Link
somy

Quote:
@pirlouy - our experiences are not completely similar. With EVR CP or Sync Renderer and 'disable desktop composition' (i.e Aero disabled) I get perfectly smooth playback at 23.976hz with no tearing. I'm just confused as to why, with the latest MPC build, MadVR works fine with Aero enabled whereas before I was getting terrible playback.
Hi, iSeries, do you use dual screen setup?
In my setup I have one monitor runs at 60HZ and I play movie on my projector as 2nd monitor which runs at 23.976HZ, EVR and MadVR is completely not watchable, EVR sync looks smooth, but it occasionally produce judder and the green line is not always in parallel with red line, it goes up then goes down then up again......
Old 26th January 2010, 08:54   #11512  |  Link
Casimir666

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Dron View Post
XP-SP3 GeForce8300 Integrated
MPC-HC 1559

DXVA Checker, DXVA Mpeg2 exists.

Render, DXVA is connected.

And video is so

Can you post a sample of this video?
Old 26th January 2010, 09:26   #11513  |  Link
tetsuo55
MPC-HC Project Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpm7200 View Post
please replace liba52 and libdca with libavcodec. libavcodec always update and better them both. and add disable jitter correction like ffdshow. thank you.
libavcodec does not support 24 bit decoding for these formats, this in effects mean they are clipping data.
We will gladly switch once 24bit support has been added (its not on their to-do list)
Old 26th January 2010, 12:11   #11514  |  Link
iSeries

Hi somy,

My TV is set up as a secondary display (set to 23.976hz). Using Sync Renderer with the target sync position at 30ms and 'Disable desktop composition' enabled, the green line is slightly wavy but parallel to the red line and no spikes. Playback appears to be perfectly smooth (I find watching the end credits scrolling a good test of smoothness). A longer test of MadVR with Aero enabled shows every now and then there is a stutter, but with Sync Renderer playback remains smooth throughout (please Madshi, update MadVR to fix the 24p tearing issue when Aero is disbaled )

Have you checked your settings in CCC? Playback can be affected by some of the settings in the 3D and Video configurations.
Old 26th January 2010, 12:17   #11515  |  Link
rpm7200

@tetsuo55

well but when we select 24 bit pcm on mpc audio settings all other formats use 24 bit pcm . for example libavcodec don't support 24 bit pcm but flac audio files use 24 bit pcm. sorry my bad english.
Old 26th January 2010, 12:18   #11516  |  Link
tetsuo55
MPC-HC Project Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpm7200 View Post
@tetsuo55

well but when we select 24 bit pcm on mpc audio settings all other formats use 24 bit pcm . for example libavcodec don't support 24 bit pcm but flac audio files use 24 bit pcm. sorry my bad english.
i was talking only about libavcodec not support 24bit for the important audio formats.
Old 26th January 2010, 12:21   #11517  |  Link
somy

Quote:
Hi somy,

My TV is set up as a secondary display (set to 23.976hz). Using Sync Renderer with the target sync position at 30ms and 'Disable desktop composition' enabled, the green line is slightly wavy but parallel to the red line and no spikes. Playback appears to be perfectly smooth (I find watching the end credits scrolling a good test of smoothness). A longer test of MadVR with Aero enabled shows every now and then there is a stutter, but with Sync Renderer playback remains smooth throughout (please Madshi, update MadVR to fix the 24p tearing issue when Aero is disbaled )

Have you checked your settings in CCC? Playback can be affected by some of the settings in the 3D and Video configurations.
OK, thanks for your information.
I'm not aware that I have to set 30ms for 24P content, the default is 12ms I think. Anyway, MPC-HC now support switching refresh rate automatically, so I'd probably keep using Sync renderder for now until Madshi release new MadVR :-) Last week I also found the YUC/RGB conversion of FFDShow is not that bad comparing to MadVR, so I'll live with that for now. My experience with MadVR is completely different from yours though, in my case when Aero is enabled the playback is simply not watchable at all! I'll try to test it again with single monitor aero turned off and see how it looks tonight.

Regarding settings in CCC, what shall I do? I know it won't use avivo, so I guess the setting there won't affect the result. However I'm not sure what side effect can be introduced by 3D settings.

Last edited by somy; 26th January 2010 at 12:24.
Old 26th January 2010, 12:23   #11518  |  Link
somy

Quote:
Hi somy,

If would be nice if you could post an image of the info graph when you have sync renderer enabled, and I'd very much like to see how it looks comparing to mine, thanks!
Old 26th January 2010, 13:01   #11519  |  Link
roozhou

@clsid

How can i build a MPCVideoDec.ax with only DXVA decoders?
Old 26th January 2010, 15:30   #11520  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

would there be any way to get the previous/next playlist hotkeys to work even if MPC is not in focus somehow? w/ the standard windows keys maybe?
Closed Thread

Tags
dxva, h264, home cinema, media player classic, mpc-hc