Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12th March 2011, 22:53   #16561  |  Link
Hera
.NET Web App Dev

Additionally, Jan's build breaks Haali Renderer on Wx64

Quote:
Originally Posted by namaiki View Post
A fallback video renderer (MPC-HC's video renderer with internal subtitle support is not being used) is being loaded.
What video renderer is selected to load in MPC-HC? (View-> Options-> Output)
Also, what graphics card and version of Windows?
Yeah, odd...

Fastest one - Haali Renderer
NV 6600, some 2xx series drivers
Old 12th March 2011, 22:57   #16562  |  Link
G_M_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_M_C View Post
Can you post a screenshot of all (audio-)filters used, and report what audio decoder & renderer you use ?
Not the one you posted before, but a screenshot of the MPC-Filters menu (right click on video -> filters).
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoborg View Post
Yes, but not now :/
Right now i am on NetBook.
It is easy to reproduce this issue.
Cause i had this issue a long while ago. I'm looking to find out if i can help you.

For a short time i noticed problems with MPC when decoding DTS 1509. When i converted to DTS 1536 it worked fine. Stuttering also happened a short while when 'header compression' in MKV's was first applied. But all these issues have passed.

Are you sure your on a current version of MPC ?
Old 12th March 2011, 23:02   #16563  |  Link
hoborg

Quote:
Cause i had this issue a long while ago. I'm looking to find out if i can help you.

For a short time i noticed problems with MPC when decoding DTS 1509. When i converted to DTS 1536 it worked fine. Stuttering also happened a short while when 'header compression' in MKV's was first applied. But all these issues have passed.

Are you sure your on a current version of MPC ?
Yes.
1.5.1.2959, MSVC 2010 SP1 (SSE), build x86.
As i wrote, it have something to do with Custom Renderer.
Media Portal custom EVR renderer have exactly the same problem.

How to start with Bitcoin
Old 12th March 2011, 23:07   #16564  |  Link
Mercury_22

Quote:
Originally Posted by janos666 View Post
It's a problem between the encoding format of those files and your SVN client. It's weird but the patches you create with the TurtoiseSVN tools are valid but they can not be automatically applied by TurtoiseSVN itself.
But for the other 15 it's working ! Only for those 3:

resource.h
mplayerc.rc
mplayerc.ru.rc

it's not working
Has anyone else been able to apply the mod BE patch ?
http://www.xvidvideo.ru/media-player...-5-2-2969.html
(near the end of the page)

Maybe I'm wrong but it looks like some files are missing from the patch
Old 13th March 2011, 00:09   #16565  |  Link
G_M_C

Quote:
But there is no problem if i use simple EVR.
If i remove DTS track, file play perfectly even with custom renderer.
So it must be related to DTS track.
Quote:
Yes.
1.5.1.2959, MSVC 2010 SP1 (SSE), build x86.
As i wrote, it have something to do with Custom Renderer.
Media Portal custom EVR renderer have exactly the same problem.
Old 13th March 2011, 00:13   #16566  |  Link
JanWillem32

@Eliminateur: Your screenshot isn't approved yet, so I have to ask this: are you using the tester builds downloaded from the folder in my signature (or a direct link)?
I can't imagine that such a new video card would fail on the type of conversion I used in my tester build.

@Momber: D3D full screen GUI support used to work before D3DFS was in exclusive mode. Non-exclusive D3DFS is pretty useless, as it can't do better than the full screen windowed mode. Because of that, I'm against adding a non-exclusive mode. I simply removed the useless option in my builds. If a GUI developer would add buttons to the D3DFS bar or more, it would be most welcome to make the D3DFS mode more functional.
For the subtitles problem: "allow animation on buffering" might help (even for non-animated input), use 3 or 4 subtitle and EVR buffers, and select one installed font that is in a small .ttf file for the default subtitle and OSD font. I patched a minor filtering bug in my builds, so that should help, too.

@mark0077 & quite a few others:
I've seen a lot of questions about synchronizing. It's a complicated thing.
-MKVtoolnix used to allow truncated decimal fractions like 23.98 as a mark for the video stream, instead of the correct 24/1.001. That tiny difference can make synchronizing difficult. Re-muxing with the correct frame rate set for the video stream can help.
-Re-setting the timing registers. If you choose "default or "optimal" rendering settings, these are reset to default numbers. I always reset this if I want to test some timing-critical changes in a new build.
-The handling of de-interlacing and 3:2 pulldown, both in the encoding phase and the decoding phase of the video stream can go very wrong. Check your own settings for de-interlacing and pulldown handling. For EVR I use the de-interlacing filter of the video card, but full support of de-interlacing is limited to the NV12 format. There's support for simple de-interlacing with YUY2 and YVYU. I tested that with DXVAchecker. Jitter or dropped frames by software de-interlacing or decoding can happen if the CPU is slow. Some files are the result of bad encoding. The handling of de-interlacing and 3:2 pulldown while re-encoding (among other things), can really mess up an encoded video.
-Blu-ray and DVD allow 24/1.001, 24 , 25, 30/1.001 and 30 Hz frame rates. 50, 60/1.001 and 60 are allowed with limitations on blu-ray. Of course, you can't use the same synchronization settings for both 24/1.001 and 24 Hz video streams for example.
-The MPEG file container on blu-ray files has a time stamps problem. Use "Enable Frame Time Correction" for only those files, use another container format, or use a splitter that corrects it automatically.

-Not to forget, video tearing on screen also has a big set of problems. Simply said, it's difficult to get a perfect synchronization to a display, without locking a display output in exclusive mode.

If anyone else has some more advise on this, please post it.

I'm not developing this weekend. I'm visiting my parents. Still, I find it very refreshing to see the difference between my own CRT and projector and the LCD panels I see at my current location.
The 4×4 temporal dithering pattern on a cheap 6-bit glossy laptop screen, the TV that damages dynamics of its already awful SCART input and an 8-bit monitor from 2003 that's worn out from its former use at an office, give this developer a view of what many consumers have to endure every day.
Old 13th March 2011, 03:47   #16567  |  Link
Aleksoid1978

Quote:
Acording to your screenshot you have droped frames (at last one) and stuttering too.
Old 13th March 2011, 04:42   #16568  |  Link
Momber

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanWillem32 View Post
If a GUI developer would add buttons to the D3DFS bar or more, it would be most welcome to make the D3DFS mode more functional.
Agreed.

Quote:
"allow animation on buffering" might help (even for non-animated input), use 3 or 4 subtitle and EVR buffers,
Tried playing with all three settings - no effect.

Quote:
and select one installed font that is in a small .ttf file for the default subtitle and OSD font.
Okay, that's something I haven't tried yet. The ttf I currently use weighs 317 kB, whereas some other Windows fonts may be as small as 30-50 kB. Thanks for the tip.

Quote:
I patched a minor filtering bug in my builds, so that should help, too.
Thanks, will try one of your builds ASAP. That would be the file "mpc-hc tester dfr2964.7z" - correct?

Regards

Last edited by Momber; 13th March 2011 at 04:45.
Old 13th March 2011, 11:17   #16569  |  Link
hoborg

Quote:
The sample i posted is h.264 with one DTS track.

If i play it in MPC-HC using simple EVR renderer, it play perfectly.
If i use EVR custom or EVR sync, there is stuttering and few druped frames (the stuutering is main problem).

If i use MKV merge and remove DTS track from this video, it will play perfectly using all EVR renderers.

So this mean it have something to doo with DTS audio track.

Using different splitters/decoders didnt change anything.

How to start with Bitcoin
Old 13th March 2011, 11:37   #16570  |  Link
ceb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb View Post
Hi, I started using MPC-HC a few years ago although only now I'm starting to 'tweak' the settings to have the best quality. I have some questions, I hope someone can answer them even though they come from a newbie.
My CPU is an Intel Core i5 2500 and my video card is an ATI 5770. I use Windows 7 64-bit with all the latest drivers, please note that I use the "Only Driver" version of the Catalyst since I don't need the CCC. I use the 64-bit version (with installer) of MPC-HC, currently I have version 1.5.2.2962.
Please don't suggest me using other software (FFDShow, Reclock, etc.) because I want to use onyl MPC-HC.
I mainly watch anime with subtitles, the formats are:
- .mkv - 720p with soft and hard subs
- .mp4 - 720p with hard subs
- .avi - 480p (640x480) (not sure if it is correct, probably DivX quality) with hard subs

1) This is what I do after installing the 64-bit version (with installer) of MPC-HC, correct me if I'm doing something wrong or if I can do anything else to increase video quality. I've only written the changes that affect the video, everything else is at default (except some UI settings).
- change the output resizer to "Bicubic A=-1.00 (PS 2.0)
- in the internal filters, disable the DXVA on MPEG-2, H264/AVC and VC1
- change the maimun texture resolution of subtitles to "Desktop"
- enable the "Sharpen Complex 2" shader - I noticed that this one makes the hard subs look a little bit uglier, but from a certain distance it's not noticable anymore

2) I use the 64-bit version, does it have any downside against the 32-bit one? I don't use any other sfotware (like FFDShow and such), only MPC-HC, so there isn't any problem in that way.

3) When the camera moves in a video, it seems to "stutter" a bit. The audio and subtitles do not go out of sync. Not a big deal, but I would prefer to resolve it.

4) As I've written in the first question, I disable the DXVA. I do this because with .mp4 videos, if the DXVA is enabled, I can only hear the audio with a black video. Maybe it's an incompatibility with the Sandy Bridge processors?
Anyway, since my CPU is powerful enough (I think), should I disable it always?

5) What does the "Round up to power of two" option in the subtitles do?

I know they are a lot of questions, I hope someone has the patience to help me.
Thanks.
Can someone help me?
Old 13th March 2011, 12:27   #16571  |  Link
pirlouy
_

Please, to all developers who do own builds, can you create a new thread with your builds, an explanation in the first post on what it's different, and the build number of MPC-HC when it is integrated in the core.
I remember of Beliyaal thread, that was a good solution.

Right now, posting your builds in this thread is not a good solution, you miss a lot of potential testers and this thread is unreadable. :/
Old 13th March 2011, 12:29   #16572  |  Link
renq

Perhaps there's a incompatibility/conflict between the CPUs integrated video controller and ATI's dedicated- try disableing GMA HD (the CPU one) if you don't use it. Perhaps that'll solve the DXVA problem.

There are no downside to using 64bit version of MPC-HC compared to the 32bit version in relation to mpc-hc itself. However, Madshi Video Renderer (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=146228), for one example, is only 32bit and thus cannot be used on the 64bit version.
Old 13th March 2011, 13:13   #16573  |  Link
Sina™

feature request:
aspect ratio: auto format (auto select) & auto zoom (auto pan & scan: scale to screen size & keep aspect ratio, not stretching)
Old 13th March 2011, 13:22   #16574  |  Link
ceb

Quote:
Originally Posted by renq View Post
Perhaps there's a incompatibility/conflict between the CPUs integrated video controller and ATI's dedicated- try disableing GMA HD (the CPU one) if you don't use it. Perhaps that'll solve the DXVA problem.
I don't know where to find GMA HD but because I have an Intel P67 motherboard, the intregrated GPU is not usable in any way. Since my CPU is powerful enough, should I just disable DXVA always? I've read that it can cause artifacts. I've disabled DXVA on my previous CPU (Intel Core 2 Duo e5200@3,1GHz) without any problem, my current CPU is a lot more powerful so it should be OK, just would like a confirmation from you experts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by renq View Post
There are no downside to using 64bit version of MPC-HC compared to the 32bit version in relation to mpc-hc itself.
Great, for me MPC-HC alone is more than enough.

These are the questions left unanswered:
Quote:
Hi, I started using MPC-HC a few years ago although only now I'm starting to 'tweak' the settings to have the best quality. I have some questions, I hope someone can answer them even though they come from a newbie.
My CPU is an Intel Core i5 2500 and my video card is an ATI 5770. I use Windows 7 64-bit with all the latest drivers, please note that I use the "Only Driver" version of the Catalyst since I don't need the CCC. I use the 64-bit version (with installer) of MPC-HC, currently I have version 1.5.2.2962.
Please don't suggest me using other software (FFDShow, Reclock, etc.) because I want to use only MPC-HC.
I mainly watch anime with subtitles, the formats are:
- .mkv - 720p with soft and hard subs
- .mp4 - 720p with hard subs
- .avi - 480p (640x480) (not sure if it is correct, probably DivX quality) with hard subs

1) This is what I do after installing the 64-bit version (with installer) of MPC-HC, correct me if I'm doing something wrong or if I can do anything else to increase video quality. I've only written the changes that affect the video, everything else is at default (except some UI settings).
- in the internal filters, disable the DXVA on MPEG-2, H264/AVC and VC1
- change the maimun texture resolution of subtitles to "Desktop"
- enable the "Sharpen Complex 2" shader - I noticed that this one makes the hard subs look a little bit uglier, but from a certain distance it's not noticable anymore

2) When the camera moves in a video, it seems to "stutter" a bit. The audio and subtitles do not go out of sync. Not a big deal, but I would prefer to resolve it.

3) What does the "Round up to power of two" option in the subtitles do?
Old 13th March 2011, 13:27   #16575  |  Link
G_M_C

Quote:
The sample i posted is h.264 with one DTS track.

If i play it in MPC-HC using simple EVR renderer, it play perfectly.
If i use EVR custom or EVR sync, there is stuttering and few druped frames (the stuutering is main problem).

If i use MKV merge and remove DTS track from this video, it will play perfectly using all EVR renderers.

So this mean it have something to doo with DTS audio track.

Using different splitters/decoders didnt change anything.
Cannot download the sample anymore to verify, its been removed.
Old 13th March 2011, 14:09   #16576  |  Link
namaiki

Quote:
I prefer -0.60, try upscale a video with different settings in two MPC-HC instances and see which you prefer or if you can see any difference.

Quote:
Personally not a fan of this, but which ever you think looks better.

Quote:
3) When the camera moves in a video, it seems to "stutter" a bit. The audio and subtitles do not go out of sync. Not a big deal, but I would prefer to resolve it.
Try set your monitor to a multiple of the frame rate of the video. It's probably 24fps, so any easy multiple like 48Hz, 72Hz, 120Hz (also matches 30fps videos), if your monitor supports it would be good.

Quote:
5) What does the "Round up to power of two" option in the subtitles do?
I noticed that there was less stutter (when subtitle are onscreen) with this unticked on a very weak Intel graphics card - Atom netbook, though it may have been my imagination.

Don't forget to enable subtitle animation and make sure to try JanWillem32's MPC-HC builds for sharper subtitles for one thing.
Or official nightly builds by: XhmikosR

Last edited by namaiki; 13th March 2011 at 14:27.
Old 13th March 2011, 14:51   #16577  |  Link
ceb

Thanks for your answer.
Quote:
Try set your monitor to a multiple of the frame rate of the video. It's probably 24fps, so any easy multiple like 48Hz, 72Hz, 120Hz (also matches 30fps videos), if your monitor supports it would be good.
My monitor has the refresh rate at 60Hz (max). I also play games on the PC, so lowering the refresh rate isn't quite good for me. Is it possible to change the refresh rate only for MPC-HC when viewing videos?
Anyway, I checked my videos and:
.avi - 23.976 fps

.mp4
Frame rate mode:Variable
Frame rate:24.000 fps
Original frame rate:29.970 fps
Minimum frame rate:17.982 fps
Maximum frame rate:29.970 fps

.mp4 (other video) - 23.976 fps

Quote:
I noticed that there was less stutter (when subtitle are onscreen) with this unticked on a very weak Intel graphics card - Atom netbook, though it may have been my imagination.
I have it disabled, everything seems OK. Although I'm curious to know what it does.
Quote:
Don't forget to enable subtitle animation and make sure to try JanWillem32's MPC-HC builds for sharper subtitles for one thing.
Or official nightly builds by: XhmikosR
Subtitle animation is enabled (you mean allow animation when buffering right?).
I usually get the builds from xvidvideo.ru but sometimes also from XhmikosR (whichever has the latest). I'll try JanWillem32's builds for the better subtitles.

About the DXVA question, am I fine without it or will I miss something?

Last edited by ceb; 13th March 2011 at 14:56.
Old 13th March 2011, 14:59   #16578  |  Link
namaiki

Sorry, but how do I change it? My monitor has the refresh rate at 60Hz (max). I also play games on the PC, so lowering the refresh rate isn't quite good for me.
I checked my videos and:
.avi - 23.976 fps

.mp4
Frame rate mode:Variable
Frame rate:24.000 fps
Original frame rate:29.970 fps
Minimum frame rate:17.982 fps
Maximum frame rate:29.970 fps

.mp4 (other video) - 23.976 fps
Does your monitor support anything else than 60Hz? Anway, you can try play with MPC-HC's autochange option. (View-> Options-> Fullscreen)

For me, I have an old CRT monitor set at 72Hz which I sometimes use since my laptop's inbuilt screen doesn't seem to support anything else but 60Hz (which isn't horrible - jitter is only noticable to me when the picture is sliding).

Subtitle animation is enabled (you mean allow animation when buffering right?).
That's the one.

I usually get the builds from xvidvideo.ru but sometimes also from XhmikosR (whichever has the latest). I'll try JanWillem32's builds for the better subtitles.
Hmm... I think all three sources should have the improved subtitles, but JanWillem32 is working on picture quality improvements as well.

About the DXVA question, am I fine without it or will I miss something?
You're not missing a thing. ;D
Old 13th March 2011, 15:36   #16579  |  Link
ceb

Thanks again!
Quote:
Does your monitor support anything else than 60Hz? Anway, you can try play with MPC-HC's autochange option. (View-> Options-> Fullscreen)
No, only 60Hz. So the fullscreen options have no effect?
I also checked an .mkv video, it has 23.976 fps.
Quote:
For me, I have an old CRT monitor set at 72Hz which I sometimes use since my laptop's inbuilt screen doesn't seem to support anything else but 60Hz (which isn't horrible - jitter is only noticable to me when the picture is sliding).
If jitter means the same thing as stuttering, I think that is exactly my issue.

As suggested by you I tried the different resizers:
nearest neighbor - bad, very noticable
bilinear and PS 2.0 - both were the same to me, they were a little bit less sharp than the bicubic resizers
bicubic 0.6, 0.75. 2.0 - they seem exactly the same, I think I'll use one of these
Old 13th March 2011, 15:40   #16580  |  Link
namaiki

Quote:
No, only 60Hz. So the fullscreen options have no effect?
You could try create a custom resolution/mode, but someone else will have to guide you through that.
Closed Thread

Tags
dxva, h264, home cinema, media player classic, mpc-hc