Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Old 19th September 2006, 22:40   #481  |  Link
masken
uhm... ?

ai4spam, dunno if I've asked for this before, but is there any chance of RegEx replacement support in subrip (like in Subtitle Workshop)?
masken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2006, 06:17   #482  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

I don't know what component they use, but it would indeed be fairly easy to put in, if I only had the time. My question is... if you have SubtitleWorkshop, then why not use it? Besides not supporting italics per word, everything else works nicely in it.
ai4spam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2006, 07:23   #483  |  Link
awx

Does SubtitleWorkshop open unicode .srt files? It refuses to open any of mine from SubRip.
awx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2006, 08:49   #484  |  Link
LRN
TeMa=) team member

Location: Universe, Galaxy, Solar System, Earth, Russia, Moscow
Try SubtitleProcessor
Old 21st September 2006, 09:38   #485  |  Link
masken
uhm... ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ai4spam View Post
I don't know what component they use
Me neither, but there's always the built-in VBscript.RegExp, and in .NET you have System.Text.RegularExpressions.

More info about RegEx and programming:
http://www.regular-expressions.info/tools.html

Last edited by masken; 21st September 2006 at 09:40.
Old 22nd September 2006, 18:09   #486  |  Link
Sinistral

I completely agree with masken. It would be very nice (if you have the time ofcourse) to see Regular Expressions in SubRip.

I'm currently writing a custom script for Subtitle Workshop with Regular Expressions, but the don't have unicode support and they don't support the italics SubRip uses. Unicode support has already been asked for in the Subtitle Workshop Forums, but the develepor seems to have quit unfortunately. So it would be very nice to see it in SubRip!
Sinistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2006, 06:27   #487  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

It would be nice if they released the source .
As for regular expressions, it'd have to be something Delphi supports, not VB and not .NET, unless we're migrating it to Delphi .NET.
Now, assuming I'd have it done, would anyone write dictionaries/scripts for it? I haven't looked much into it, but I don't remember seeing many SubtitleWorkshop scripts floating around the web .

Seriously now, is there nobody woth some Delphi experience that could help? I have thought (more than once) of implementing this from scratch in C (maybe reusing code from VSRip), but I barely have time to look at the forum and fix some small bugs in the now perpetual next beta version, let alone do it all over again.

Last edited by ai4spam; 24th September 2006 at 06:33.
Old 24th September 2006, 12:12   #488  |  Link
Sinistral

It would definately be nice if Subtitle Workshop released the source, but they won't.

I checked the Regular Expressions website and this is what they said about Delphi:
"Delphi - Delphi does not have built-in regex support. Delphi for .NET can use the .NET framework regex support. For Win32, there are several PCRE-based VCL components available."

Unfortunately, I don't know Delphi (nor any other programming language), so I don't understand what that means nor can I help you with the development of SubRip.

Fortunately, I am making a regular expression scripts for English subtitles. If I have that one finished, I might be able to delete some things out of it, so it can correct some small things for all (Latin based) languages. And if I have enough time, I might also make a Dutch one (my native language).

It will probably take some more months before they're really finished and tested, but since you probably can't implement Regular Expressions that soon, it'll be no problem.

Anyway, I'm already very happy that someone is actually listening to us and thinking about improvements, since SubRip wasn't even being developed anymore for almost 2 years. So many thanks for being here!
Sinistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2006, 20:35   #489  |  Link
S36d2

Is there another mirror available with the guide for ripping hardcoded subtitles? Zuggy's site is very slow at the moment and won't show all pictures; http://zuggy.wz.cz/redir.php?co=101
S36d2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2006, 10:58   #490  |  Link
LRN
TeMa=) team member

You could use TRegExpr or T-Rex for regular expressions in Delphi.
Old 28th September 2006, 00:55   #491  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

@S36d2: I can send it to anyone who would like to host it. Send me an email (same id)@gmail.
@LRN&Sinistral: Thanks for the suggestions.

Unfortunately, SubRip has grown into a big mess, with too many features that are not really needed, and should have been implemented separately, like support for other formats. I feel very tempted to start from scratch in C, except... I don't know anything about the structure of a DVD, so I have to keep using Brain's original parser, written in Delphi. Oh, well...
Old 28th September 2006, 20:18   #492  |  Link
LRN
TeMa=) team member

Quote:
I don't know anything about the structure of a DVD
http://sam.zoy.org/writings/dvd/subtitles/
Quote:
I have to keep using Brain's original parser, written in Delphi
http://sourceforge.net/projects/subtitleripper

Last edited by LRN; 28th September 2006 at 20:30.
LRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2006, 21:19   #493  |  Link
masken
uhm... ?

I'd help out regex:ing away hearing impaired for sure Got loads of reference material from backing up my R1 DVD's through the years.

A humble suggestion is to move to visual studio
Old 29th September 2006, 02:50   #494  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

Thanks, everybody. The thing is... a GUI is still needed, and the easiest I know of is... C++ Turbo Explorer, wich is a free version of a Delphi-like GUI, with C code to drive it. The other stuff at the links seems pretty rudimentary due to the programmers being Linux-only folks, with CLI, and pretty old (unless TransCode has evolved). I don't know what to say, and I certainly don't have the time to deal with starting from scratch now .
Old 14th October 2006, 12:19   #495  |  Link
frodeste

Possible bug

If you delete a character from a Character Matrix, the software will completely stop to a halt.

Is this a known bug?

--
http://www.stenstrom.no
frodeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2006, 14:59   #496  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

What version are you using? As a workaround, use another (smaller) char matrix, it should let you delete just fine.
Old 14th October 2006, 15:46   #497  |  Link
Mtz

Also my char matrix is big, and crashing SubRip when trying to delete some character. Used the latest version of SubRip 1.50b3.

enjoy,
Mtz
Mtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2006, 18:13   #498  |  Link
frodeste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtz View Post
Also my char matrix is big, and crashing SubRip when trying to delete some character. Used the latest version of SubRip 1.50b3.

enjoy,
Mtz
Same for me,

Then it seems that this is related to the size of the matrix file, and is a bug.

--
http://www.stenstrom.no
frodeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2006, 08:14   #499  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

Sadly, it doesn't look like I'll have the time to look into it soon. It never occurred before because people were using small matrices. I guess my advice is to use smaller matrices for now.
Old 18th October 2006, 10:18   #500  |  Link
Teebeeke

Well, i have the same problem when going into the matrix (no phun intended) and deleting a character.
I create a new one for every different DVD, so my matrices arent really big. Even after 8-9 characters it crashes when i want to delete one.
If i modify the character where i put a wrong input, and save it, it doesnt crash.
Teebeeke is offline   Reply With Quote